• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

cHaotix8

Yeah, I think Poison is a really good character and very likely top 10. Love me tender is such a good move as it's usually only 0 on block at the worst, goes over fireballs and lows, catches airborne opponents and breaks armor. I may pick her up soon just to mess around with.

Yeah, I think Poison is a really good character and very likely top 10. Love me tender is such a good move as it's usually only 0 on block at the worst, goes over fireballs and lows, catches airborne opponents and breaks armor. I may pick her up soon just to mess around with.
No one special should have all that power

USD

Love Me Tender being able to get the throw follow-up on airborne opponents is so good, you get at least 190 damage every time. Also let's you get good damage even when you backdash after landing Lv2+ Focus. I see a lot of Poisons go for the throw follow-up instead of doing a combo on grounded opponents though. Especially in the case of an armor break, where Poison is at least +7 and you can go straight into a heavy attack, it's better to go for a regular combo than to lose damage and stun with the throw.

Love Me Tender also goes over a lot more than just lows, it can go over Ken's F+MK, Balrog's Dash Straight and Rose's Soul Spiral, to name a few. If you're not using high-position standing attacks, anti-air normals, or an invincible attack, it will probably go over whatever you're throwing out. Normal Tender also reaches to the ground, so I like throwing it out an L or M Tender to catch slides too occasionally.

EX Tender can be pretty silly, cause it's a great move whether it hits (projectile invincible, 200 damage) or whether it gets blocked (at least +2). I also like doing EX Whip of Love, EX Tender for a stylish finish (it's also her highest damage EX Tender follow-up, not counting UC1).

Though one thing, normally Tender is -1 on block, still very nice.

No one special should have all that power

Going over fireballs with normal Tender is normally a predictive thing, unless you're doing it at far range to get over fireballs to close distance (though that can potentially be risky). Some fireballs are harder to get over than others, but overall it still works well if you have a good read.

cHaotix8

Though one thing, normally Tender is -1 on block, still very nice.

This is only true when it hits on the first active frame, which usually isn't the case. T_T

Pick a grappler, record her doing it, then try to 720 ultra her. Most of the time it won't work unless they do the move pointblank.

I never understood why some thought she was bad initially. She has all the tools she needs to do well in a variety of MU's

I'm pretty sure the general consensus of the new characters except for Decapre was that they were all pretty mediocre when the game was released.

People saying Elena was turrible, Rolento got no options, Poison's DP is crap, Hugo to slow, Decapre isn't as cheap as she was planned.

USD

I had a more negative impression of Poison from the early location tests, just because she seemed so basic and lacking compared to how she was in SFXTK (different games obviously, but still). She did get some nice improvements over time though (EX Whip jump cancel, 3F Crouch LP, better EX Kissed by a Goddess hitbox, lower Aeolus Edge recovery, Focus/Super-cancellable Whip of Love) that really added it up. By the time of the console release, I thought she was going to be pretty solid, at the very least.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus of the new characters except for Decapre was that they were all pretty mediocre when the game was released.

People saying Elena was turrible, Rolento got no options, Poison's DP is crap, Hugo to slow, Decapre isn't as cheap as she was planned.

Elena is a character that looks bad on paper just because of how minus her moves are. In practice though, it's not nearly as bad. Space L Lynx Tail is actually pretty hard to punish (spaced right, you can get Poison's Crouch MK and even Ryu's Crouch HK to whiff) and can actually in turn whiff punish the opponent for trying to punish. The way sako plays her in particularly makes her seem so good, since he shows off a lot of her potential by how he plays her (great footsies, great anti-air, using the spaced low mix-up over going for EX Mallet Smash all the time, and maximizing her damage).

I never understood why some thought she was bad initially. She has all the tools she needs to do well in a variety of MU's

People just like to immediately jump to conclusions based on nothing.

I initially thought Elena was bad just because people said so. Then when I started playing her a few weeks ago I realized that she isn't nearly as bad as people made her out to be.

Poison is top 5.

(This is the kind of statement that makes about twenty people quote and say "lol no" so I will prefix this with that I know a really freaking good Poison player, and that character is stupidly, stupidly good.)

Onemic

why is balrog allowed to do two specials back to back, safely at that?

also no one plays ps3 anymore. and i dont have money for pc :\

I think you can grab him out of the second dash punch if he tries to go for it and hes close enough

Any good Fei players here that are willing to look at some painful footage of me losing and give some advice on how to improve?

Onemic

Looks like you're gonna have to learn the shoto matchup.

Is the PC framerate always like this?

How do you play the shoto mu as fei? Cw seems like its way too slow to react and punish a fireball unless its ex. Even then it seems harder to react with than say yuns ex shoulder or elenas ex rh.

Marz

How do you play the shoto mu as fei? Cw seems like its way too slow to react and punish a fireball unless its ex. Even then it seems harder to react with than say yuns ex shoulder or elenas ex rh.

Block, focus, walk them to the corner. Fei's boring as fuck.

I feel you gotta play Fei as a wall. Kinda like Balrog. Force them into the corner, don't allow any jump ins, whiff punish their normals with rekkas and out poke them the best you can.

Vice

Walk toward them. Avoid jumping in or using CW too often. Once they're in cr.mk or cr.mp range you can bully them to the corner. Once in the corner just be as safe as possible with rekka pressure.

I believe rekkas can punish a large amount of common shoto normals with reversal timing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Simplest way is staying slightly out of low forward range. Whiff punish with rekkas. You can FA through fireballs or fish for a crumple. As long as you dont go too ham with random rekkas they'll have to take risks for damage.

cHaotix8

Focus kills shotos. When when Ryu's start trying to snipe it with solar plexus, whiff punnish with cr/stand jab xx rekkas. Fei's focus is so good that you really shouldn't be worrying about fireballs until they have metter. Ken, whiff punish step kick with jab xx rekka. You hit them once and they're pretty much in the corner, just make sure you hit your anti airs and the rest should take care of itself.

mbpm1

Yeah in general Fei can get past fireballs simply with that great focus of his. Whenever I fight decent Feis it becomes just footsies, which is not in a shoto's favor.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Poison is top 5.

(This is the kind of statement that makes about twenty people quote and say "lol no" so I will prefix this with that I know a really freaking good Poison player, and that character is stupidly, stupidly good.)

Yeah, shame I dont think theres any videos of him online.

That poison is a wall.

Onemic

I feel you gotta play Fei as a wall. Kinda like Balrog. Force them into the corner, don't allow any jump ins, whiff punish their normals with rekkas and out poke them the best you can.

How do you buffer cr.jab into rekka? Do you negative edge it so a st jab doesnt come out on whiff?

OceanBlue

how many characters can combo off an overhead? i can only think of divekick characters, poison, and guy

The only others that come to mind for me (after looking at a cast list lol) are Dudley, Ibuki, Hugo, Balrog, and Elena. Sakura can with a fireball setup.

Edit: Actually I think Blanka can too. Can Makoto combo off of her axe chop thing?

mbpm1

how many characters can combo off an overhead? i can only think of divekick characters, poison, and guy

Dudley, Elena, Ibuki,, Rog. El Fuerte from what I remember.

If we're counting counterhit setups the list goes higher, Sagat being one of them I think.

OceanBlue

Ryu can combo off of his overhead on standing opponents IIRC. :V

Yes Blanka can from a fully "charged" command overhead. Makoto can do it too from regular (LP/MP) oroshi and it's easier if it hits meaty.

Wow, I didn't know you could charge it lol. I just know that I've been combo'ed off of it before. :(

i completely forgot Blanka has a two-hit overhead

time to abuse it

h1FkO.gif

DunpealD

Divekicks aren't overheads. I think Juri can combo off her overhead in U1 too, which actually makes her rather scary in that mode when she's in the offensive.

Marz

Poison got like Akuma/Seth plethora of options doe.

Like why this bitch need sonic booms, rekkas, jaguar kicks, rose backdash, Rufus old throw, and Vega flip?

Why son?

kasane

So oni ai just raging demond me after a fireball

Actually im not sure wtf happened there

Did he fadc or some shit

Its like that sandford video but with a fireball

Top Bottom