• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Poison got like Akuma/Seth plethora of options doe.

Like why this bitch need sonic booms, rekkas, jaguar kicks, rose backdash, Rufus old throw, and Vega flip?

Why son?

You forgot Rising Tackle (which isn't great but is enough), Rose's hopkick which is also C. Viper's overhead and Ryu's cr.mk.

So she basically has a combination of the best normals, special moves and character attributes in the game whilst only having three downsides - an at best OK DP (which, however, is still an invincible reversal without spending bar, unlike Dudley's), relatively low damage and somewhat unreliable combos from distance.

Her Ultra 1 scales poorly, but has insane properties thanks to being a guaranteed animation. You cannot cross her up in the corner except with very specific setups, as the U1 will hit you. It is also a very fast ultra, as it only has 10F of startup, which makes it an excellent punishment tool.

She is Rose on steroids. She loses to Yun, Ibuki and maybe E. Ryu, but I think she has even or positive matchups with almost everyone else in the cast - including my main, Rufus, to which she is his worst matchup.

OceanBlue

I think Alioune said at one point that Poison loses to Juri. Apparently Juri's EX DP punishes cr.MK on block and none of her options are true blockstrings. I'm a scrub so I have no clue how the matchup goes though, but Juri does have a divekick lol.

alstein

You forgot Rising Tackle (which isn't great but is enough), Rose's hopkick which is also C. Viper's overhead and Ryu's cr.mk.

So she basically has a combination of the best normals, special moves and character attributes in the game whilst only having three downsides - an at best OK DP (which, however, is still an invincible reversal without spending bar, unlike Dudley's), relatively low damage and somewhat unreliable combos from distance.

Her Ultra 1 scales poorly, but has insane properties thanks to being a guaranteed animation. You cannot cross her up in the corner except with very specific setups, as the U1 will hit you. It is also a very fast ultra, as it only has 10F of startup, which makes it an excellent punishment tool.

She is Rose on steroids. She loses to Yun, Ibuki and maybe E. Ryu, but I think she has even or positive matchups with almost everyone else in the cast - including my main, Rufus, to which she is his worst matchup.

I think she loses to Rose, and I think grapplers might beat her.

stn

She loses to Rose, Blanka, and Akuma can also give her problems. Yang is also tough. There's no way she loses to grapplers, she beats them all handily.

Marz

At least she has a floaty jump and bad walk speed.

Imagine if she had akuma walkspeed.

There's no way that Poison is Rufus's worst matchup. If you get in on her ass then she's done unless she burns the meter on an ex dp.

I feel that Poison is definitely good, but people just don't take advantage of her weaknesses since they don't know the matchup. It's like when I watch people fight against Nemo's Rolento. I get disappointed because they let him get away with a lot of shit that he shouldn't. Same goes for Poison players.

stn

I don't play Poison but can't she do EX fireball after blocking a Blanka Ball? And can she not do her EX DP to beat it?

DunpealD

I don't play Poison but can't she do EX fireball after blocking a Blanka Ball? And can she not do her EX DP to beat it?

LP/no, MP/yes(narrow/reversal), HP/yes or U1, EX/no. EX Aeolus Edge does 50+50 damage while EX Blanka Ball does 120.
I think a Poison should not be discouraged to use the Aeolus Edge by the EX Blanka Ball, since it's important for her ground control.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Do you guys think you have played at least 12k matches since SFIV came out? Or whichever iteration you started playing.
I'm looking at the matches played from the TTT2 stats and the average mid-top level players have played that many since that game's release which is years after SFIV. I personally haven't played anywhere near that many. It might not even be half that. Talk about grinding.

Do you guys think you have played at least 12k matches since SFIV came out? Or whichever iteration you started playing.
I'm looking at the matches played from the TTT2 stats and the average mid-top level players have played that many since that game's release which is years after SFIV. I personally haven't played anywhere near that many. It might not even be half that. Talk about grinding.
I've easily done that. Between the arcade versions and console versions I've probably had 20k matches. Maybe more. Hell I have like 35k matches on marvel. And the amount of 3S matches I've had is embarrassing.

:( I hate how much time I've spent playing this game.

mbpm1

Spent some time fighting a decent Deejay just learning the matchup.
Beat him once so now I never have to spend time on it again.

Also, having an Elena heal from 30-70% health when you're down to like 20%, and then still beating her feels pretty good.

Robot Pants

I think I'm 28k since Super

kirblar

She loses to Rose, Blanka, and Akuma can also give her problems. Yang is also tough. There's no way she loses to grapplers, she beats them all handily.
Zangief with no meter is in her favor. Zangief with 1+ meter is in his. If you notice- it's a pattern that plays out a lot in the Z/P matchup- she wins round 1- he wins the next two.

Marz

When you look at your stats on the replay channel when it says total what is that? If that's matches played with that character or just total games in general then I'm at 12,800 although I don't know if that includes AE or its just Ultra.

Its pretty frustrating how bad I still am after how long I've been playing.

alstein

Zangief with no meter is in her favor. Zangief with 1+ meter is in his. If you notice- it's a pattern that plays out a lot in the Z/P matchup- she wins round 1- he wins the next two.

I think Hawk does better than Gief in the matchup. Has ability to play footsies a little better.

mbpm1

When you look at your stats on the replay channel when it says total what is that? If that's matches played with that character or just total games in general then I'm at 12,800 although I don't know if that includes AE or its just Ultra.

Its pretty frustrating how bad I still am after how long I've been playing.

Did you play on PC recently? I ran into one match with someone wit your name

Marz

Did you play on PC recently? I ran into one match with someone wit your name

Nah I haven't got a computer right now, getting one in a month though so I'll be on there soon.

I've ran into a bunch of people with my name, seems pretty common for a gamertag.

mbpm1

Nah I haven't got a computer right now, getting one in a month though so I'll be on there soon.

I've ran into a bunch of people with my name, seems pretty common for a gamertag.

Huh. Popular name for some reason then.

I thought it wasn't you though, cos it wasn't a Sagat or Adon.

Exr

Hugo is fun when I'm dropping elbows on domes and giant clapping fools but the DJ and Poison matchups make me want to never play him again. Any tips? I usually just lurk at mk range and try to land an ex meat squasher.

Hugo is fun when I'm dropping elbows on domes and giant clapping fools but the DJ and Poison matchups make me want to never play him again. Any tips? I usually just lurk at mk range and try to land an ex meat squasher.

Those are both extremely rough matchups. You just have to be able to make excellent reads. Take advantage of the fact that his dash is pretty damn good for a character his size.

Marz

So how do you guys feel about point farming in ranked? I always felt like it was kind of cheating the system and didn't give me a real accurate assessment of what level I was at so I always just played a best 2 out of 3 with someone and then kept it moving. The other day though I ran into a guy pretty much on my level and he kept joining my lobby and I kept squeaking out wins, won like 8 or 9 in a row from him and took a shitton of points but felt strange about it.

vulva

Ended up against some dude on PC who plays Chun as well. Ran the mirror for about 4 games I think. It was pretty funny since he had his mic on the whole time and was bitching about how cheap everything I was doing was.

Also played against a whiny Sagat who got mad that I anti-aired a crossup and that my ultra is apparently 0 frames.

I hope people never learn how to turn their mics off.

Onemic

Are air command grabs like Akumas(especially), Guy's, Cammy's, etc. invincible or something? Its something I've really wanted to know for a long time. If I try crouching under it, I get grabbed and if I try knocking it out of the sky, I get grabbed. I pretty much now assume when that move comes out I'm getting grabbed and theres nothing I can do about it.

vulva

Are air command grabs like Akumas(especially), Guy's, Cammy's, etc. invincible or something? Its something I've really wanted to know for a long time. If I try crouching under it, I get grabbed and if I try knocking it out of the sky, I get grabbed. I pretty much now assume when that move comes out I'm getting grabbed and theres nothing I can do about it.

I'm curious about this too. I usually just try to dodge/move out of the way to avoid the situation. No idea how to properly deal with them.

mbpm1

They're not invincible. I think it has to do with the hitbox. They usually have pretty good ones so trying to contest them is not a good idea. Side note, Cammy's grab can't get you on the ground and Akuma's can't get you in the air.

cHaotix8

If you're getting grabbed on wakeup, it's because when you get up there is a frame that forces you to stand. You can't cancel the stand animation by blocking, only by doing a attack. People usually beat these setup by pressing a crouching move like lp/lk, or a throw-invincible move like dp.

But to answer your question, no those moves aren't invincible. They usually just have a very large hitbox (Cammy Hooligan throw, Demon Flips, Bunshin Grab, etc).

Onemic

If you're getting grabbed on wakeup, it's because when you get up there is a frame that forces you to stand. You can't cancel the stand animation by blocking, only by doing a attack. People usually beat these setup by pressing a crouching move like lp/lk, or a throw-invincible move like dp.

But to answer your question, no those moves aren't invincible. They usually just have a very large hitbox (Cammy Hooligan throw, Demon Flips, Bunshin Grab, etc).

Against Akuma it's not on wakeup, but during his crazy pressure. I've tried crouching when I know hes gonna go for a demon flip grab during pressure and I'll still get grabbed anyway.

And I guess another thing I've always wanted to know, but never asked: How do you deal with opponents that jump forward as soon as they see you doing a focus attack? I never know what to do in these situation and it happens a good 60% of the time when I use FA.

cHaotix8

Vega's Super lol

Yeah, that one's just BS, lol. Use a move that gets you across the screen quick or just pray, haha.

Against Akuma it's not on wakeup, but during his crazy pressure. I've tried crouching when I know hes gonna go for a demon flip grab during pressure and I'll still get grabbed anyway.

Depends on the character you're playing and where you are. Everyone should be able to beat it with with an air to air, some characters can anti air it with a normal, and some can just forward dash under it. With Dudley I just lk duck under or lp jet upper. Pretty much anytime someone goes for a demon flip reset you should be getting free damage at best or reset the situation at worst.

Onemic said:
And I guess another thing I've always wanted to know, but never asked: How do you deal with opponents that jump forward as soon as they see you doing a focus attack? I never know what to do in these situation and it happens a good 60% of the time when I use FA.

Once again, this depends on the character your playing, who's jumping at you, and where you are position wise. Some if they are close and your backdash is good enough you can just backdash and reset the situation. If it's an asshole character like Ken you're kinda fucked cause he can punish with HP dp when he lands pretty much every time no matter what you decide to do.

Some characters have focus attacks with good vertical hitboxes (Seth, Sagat, Cody, Makoto, Balrog), so you can get away with absorbing a potential jump in early, then releasing once they land. This depends on when and if the character that's jumping presses the button though, so it takes some experience to judge the situation. If they like to empty jump > throw, you can get away with backdashing just before they land and punish the whiffed throw animation. you can also let the focus attack go early and hit them out the air if they want to empty jump, but this is more of a guess.

There's pretty much no straight answer on this and your options are highly situational, lol. The more you're put in this situation though, the better you are at judging what the appropriate answer is. I hoped my response was at least a little helpful though, lol.

Top Bottom