• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ummm, Half-life1:Source working?

Bebpo

Banned
There was a post in the big HL2 thread about HL:Source crashing at the loading screen.

I just finished downloading HL:Source and booted it up and it went to load the main menu and just sat....for 5 mins until I reset.

Has anyone actually played HL:Source?

Bregor

I downloaded it (or at least Steam said I had) and started it up only to have it crash. Then I checked my Steam monitor and saw that it was actually still downloading some content. Once it was done downloading it worked fine.

Haven't played much of it yet (I plan to spend most of my time on HL2) but as expected it is not a big improvement on the original. The thing I like best so far are the rag doll physics on the corpses.

Hooker

It hasn't really.

I already wrote a piece about it in the Half-Life2 thread. The levels I tried (the beginning) is exactly the same. I even went back to check if I selected the source version instead of the normal one. Of course, there isn't any action going on in the first levels but I couldn't see any changes so far. Maybe later on...

Bregor

The levels, models, textures etc. are all the same. So, of course, it looks like a six year old game in that regard.

The lighting has been improved, though in 90% of the situations you will not noticed. Physics has been included, though there are so few physics objects that you may not notice. As I said, the main improvement I've seen thus far is the ragdoll corpses.

Valve have said they ported HL1 to source mainly as an experiment to see what sort of issues mod makers would face when moving their mods to source. It wasn't meant as a project to radically improve the game.

However, now that the first step is done, expect mod makers to do a lot more. I know for a fact that there are some already at work on adding higher res textures, models from Blue Shift and HL2, and other improvements.

Bregor

Some more comments:

The new lighting makes some areas to brightly lit.
Some of the quieter sounds are much more easily picked out now.
In addition to the better looking water, they have steam jets with a heat haze effect.
The box physics seems a lot less touchy than before.

segasonic

postpics.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are two videos of this on Gamespot right now. It really doesn't look very different at all (outside of the water). Ah well, I'm not suprised...

goodcow

Ghost said:
Meh id rather wait than be forced to give something in return for what i want.

I was kidding anyway. (well not able the views to click ratio, but the :p denoted a joking tone) I'll post pics later tonight. But for now, I have errands to run.

Bregor

Some more comments:

The game has all chapters unlocked already, so you can jump in and play wherever you wish.
The flashlight looks different.
I think there might have been minor changes to item placement.
The AI seems to be improved. They notice a lot quicker if you open fire on one of their buddies.
Some events that I remember from the first time I played HL, but have been missing the last 6+ times I played it (taken out in patch?) are back in.
At the scene in Surface tension where you have to climb and fight all over a cliff face, the backdrop has been replaced. It use to be a single low res image (very ugly by todays standards), but now is modeled with real 3d cliffs and a river. A HUGE improvement in this one scene:

hlscreen2.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
Wow! I was just talking about that scene. You finally get out of the cave to the light only to be confronted by a helicopter and a single image for the background.

epmode

Bebpo said:
There was a post in the big HL2 thread about HL:Source crashing at the loading screen.

I just finished downloading HL:Source and booted it up and it went to load the main menu and just sat....for 5 mins until I reset.

Has anyone actually played HL:Source?
were you able to get in by now? i had the same problem. right click the game in your steam menu, check its properties. it's very likely that the game hasn't finished preloading. once it gets up to 100%, the problem will ceace.

That's a pretty nice change Bregor. I wish they had done a lot more to other sections of the game though :(. There isn't much of a difference from what I've seen.

Top Bottom