• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Anyone know if it's possible to get the Reload Expert trophy by using only melee combat? I keep fucking up and it's getting annoying, was thinking about just going pure melee to ensure I don't mess up. If I put it on Very Easy it shouldn't be a problem to kill everything melee only.

Papercuts said:
Me either. I got caught at the end of syria(one guy left) and then had to fight an entire army. :\

But yeah, atleast that one is clearly possible.
The one at the start of the shipwreck stuff might be possible too, need to try that again. But that airport one...no way. I actually liked the part, too; stealth killing the guy on the left most part of the area gets you a silenced pistol, which helps taking everyone else out. But no matter what I try on the two guys at the end, everyone gets alerted. I've even killed them both at the same time with a propane tank while they were unaware, no dice.

And fuck the ballroom level regarding this too. And the fight that ensues.

I posted a pretty good strat a few pages back on the ballroom level. Was how I beat it on Crushing. I honestly thought it wasn't too bad, I guess because I stumbled on this strat. The general idea though is you can stealth up to 3 guys up front, and by stealthing the piano guy you get a grenade launcher. Then you lure everything on the bottom to the left side and go back up to the right and you can pick the entire wave off with a tau sniper easily with almost no danger until the 3 balcony guys come out. All 3 can be picked off with 0 danger to yourself after dealing with the 3-4 guys that come out at the same time on the floor, and when the guys come through the door at the bottom, you time a grenade just right so that they walk right over it after opening the door.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
cpp_is_king said:
Anyone know if it's possible to get the Reload Expert trophy by using only melee combat? I keep fucking up and it's getting annoying, was thinking about just going pure melee to ensure I don't mess up. If I put it on Very Easy it shouldn't be a problem to kill everything melee only.

I'm not sure if that works. I got it
at the part in syria where you fall out of the tower and have to climb up while 3-4 guys shoot at you. For some reason Drake WOULD NOT grab the chain at the end to swing so I kept dying, but that part makes it easy to get a headshot, reload, headshot, reload, then you could just kill yourself until you get it.

Papercuts said:
I'm not sure if that works. I got it
at the part in syria where you fall out of the tower and have to climb up while 3-4 guys shoot at you. For some reason Drake WOULD NOT grab the chain at the end to swing so I kept dying, but that part makes it easy to get a headshot, reload, headshot, reload, then you could just kill yourself until you get it.

Hah, great idea. I didn't realize the "in a row" part could carry over across reloads. Ironically, I decided to try on that same level and I passed that exact part probably 2 minutes ago lol. But I'm at 36 right now, hopefully I'll get to 50 and not have to worry about it anymore.

plainr_ said:
He was Tenzin too right?

EDIT: Checked imdb. yes he is. lol
mind blown!

Red Blaster said:
Just hit the
ship graveyard thing
. I think the game's pacing been pretty average to downright bad up to this point. Too much downtime/puzzle solving with the combat being limited to a handful of enemies in dull arenas that don't have much verticality or room for traversal in general. And
three dark tombs where we have to fend off huge spiders with torches?
That's just lazy design. Granted, U2 had some lousy pacing too. The stealth intro + Borneo were average at best and the monastery all the way to Lazarevich dragged while you fought a billion enemies, but in between those is game of the forever shit. Hopefully things picks up soon
this shipyard looks more like the better U2 environments fwiw
. Also pretty surprised at how "guided" the game has been. I thought that was just malarkey that people threw as a series criticism but it's way more directed than U1 and 2 so far.

Too much puzzles/downtime? Wow. You'll enjoy the second half of the game then.

Ratrat

Finished it on hard. I cant decide if its a 7 or 9 honestly. I almost think that the most beautiful game ever made deserves a pass for mediocre gameplay.

really wish there was an option to always play as heroes. there's never a time when i WANT to play as the villains, and there's no reason i should have to, darn it!
LLShC.gif

LEGGZZZZ

Is anyone one else getting a black screen when trying to boot up the game on a slim? I tried 5 separate times, wiped the disk, still no dice. It goes past the spinning ring and warning screen, and then suddenly stops to a black screen, and all my other games play fine. WHAT THE FUCK ND :/

Edit: Even tried deleting my saved game data, rebooting my system still nothing. Every SINGLE other game I have works. No scratches or visual errors on the game disc, looks completely new. Forget the aiming problems and motion blur, how you patch the damn game to just boot up past the warning screen. One of my most anticipated games this gen, and I can't even play it. WOW.

Luthos

autobzooty said:
really wish there was an option to always play as heroes. there's never a time when i WANT to play as the villains, and there's no reason i should have to, darn it!
LLShC.gif
I wish there was a way to play as your villain character in co-op arena (at least I think you can't). Because my villain character has clothes my hero one can't use.

web01

Red Blaster said:
Just hit the
ship graveyard thing
. I think the game's pacing been pretty average to downright bad up to this point. Too much downtime/puzzle solving with the combat being limited to a handful of enemies in dull arenas that don't have much verticality or room for traversal in general. And
three dark tombs where we have to fend off huge spiders with torches?
That's just lazy design. Granted, U2 had some lousy pacing too. The stealth intro + Borneo were average at best and the monastery all the way to Lazarevich dragged while you fought a billion enemies, but in between those is game of the forever shit. Hopefully things picks up soon
this shipyard looks more like the better U2 environments fwiw
. Also pretty surprised at how "guided" the game has been. I thought that was just malarkey that people threw as a series criticism but it's way more directed than U1 and 2 so far.

Agree 100% I liked the pacing alot more in both U1 and U2. Much less downtime
between actual gameplay. In U3 they went s bit too far out of their way to set up and explain the story which is mostly mumbo jumbo. A few of the climbing sections also felt like unnecessary filler instead of being a different climbing scenario or obstacle.

TripOpt55

I had a little multiplayer night with some friends and just like in the beta we were struggling to keep our party together. When we would find a match, one teamate would often end up not in the match at all or would be on the other team. It is rather frustrating. Any reason this would be happening or is it just the nature of this game's matchmaking?

On a bright note, I really enjoy Team Objective. With people I was talking to and knew on my team it went well and is a lot of fun. Overall it was a fun night if a bit frustrating with the matchmaking thing.

Luthos

Chapter 21 spoilers:
Well, on my Crushing run, and I've made it to the fountain part with the flaming head dudes. I hope the devs are really proud of this encounter. Because I may hurt myself before I get past it.

edit: just beat it. I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. (thank you Tau Sniper)

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
cpp_is_king said:
I posted a pretty good strat a few pages back on the ballroom level. Was how I beat it on Crushing. I honestly thought it wasn't too bad, I guess because I stumbled on this strat. The general idea though is you can stealth up to 3 guys up front, and by stealthing the piano guy you get a grenade launcher. Then you lure everything on the bottom to the left side and go back up to the right and you can pick the entire wave off with a tau sniper easily with almost no danger until the 3 balcony guys come out. All 3 can be picked off with 0 danger to yourself after dealing with the 3-4 guys that come out at the same time on the floor, and when the guys come through the door at the bottom, you time a grenade just right so that they walk right over it after opening the door.
When you fight the heavy machine gun dude before the ballroom fight, there's an enemy on the right side that drops grenade launcher. I took it ad saved the ammo, and mellee'd first three guys since melee killing the dude in the middle get you more grenade launcher ammo + I had 4 grenades, more than enouygh to take down all the armoured guys. I had a lot of trouble with the very first settlement fight the rest of the level was easy because there's a lot of cover but that first bit was frustrating as all hell!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Luthos said:
Yea it's been said before, but I'll hear it again.

I live for the guitar part at 0:42 in the link you posted.
Oh my god, the music is soooo damn good in this game!! Greg Edmonson is just amazing!!

onken

Started playing it properly now and yeah, the aiming is horrible. Hope that patch comes soon.

Also I don't think any of the designers have even been to London, not in the last 100 years anyway. Reminds me of that Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper game.

onken said:
Started playing it properly now and yeah, the aiming is horrible. Hope that patch comes soon.

Also I don't think any of the designers have even been to London, not in the last 100 years anyway. Reminds me of that Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper game.

They got the skyline right at least. A believable enough interpretation. Obviously it was gonna be a bit more cliche London than reality, because everywhere in this game is a iconised version of the real locations...

onken

Green Scar said:
They got the skyline right at least. A believable enough interpretation. Obviously it was gonna be a bit more cliche London than reality, because everywhere in this game is a iconised version of the real locations...

I think the designer's research for that pub at the start consisted of them watching Withnail & I and calling it a day. If they were going for the 1960s country pub feel then bravo I guess.

Though yeah, the skyline view from the top of the building was gorgeous.

tusken77

darkwing said:
I wouldn't be surprised, since there are a lot of dlcs planned

It would be sooo good. At night, raining, climbing over rooftops, through warehouses, down back alleys,
the sounds/glow of the police sirens at the edges of the map
, all with that iconic skyline in the background.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
tusken77 said:
It would be sooo good. At night, raining, climbing over rooftops, through warehouses, down back alleys,
the sounds/glow of the police sirens at the edges of the map
, all with that iconic skyline in the background.
And AI-controlled thugs with shaved heads trying to start fist fights with you while you're in the middle of a shootout.

onken said:

You lie. Aren't all Londoners big burly bald men?

Sai

Anybody snatch the soundtrack? Which track has the music from the first trailer? The piece that leads to the end of it.

echothreealpha said:
You lie. Aren't all Londoners big burly bald men?

If the pub is a pub of Chelsea's hooligans, probably.

I didn't saw very different the London, or even the pub, than the London and pubs that I've seen the last time that I've been in there.

I really liked how they played out the supernatural stuff this time around, spoilers:
Giving a good excuse to use flaming heads due to the hallucinations instead of just ancient blue people or nazi zombies ;D

Thrakier

You know, the
supernatural stuff
should be probably spoilerd as well. -.- People, really...the fuck. Think before you post!

FinalD

Thrakier said:
You know, the
supernatural stuff
should be probably spoilerd as well. -.- People, really...the fuck. Think before you post!
Why? It's an Uncharted feature.
I didn't like it because it's not real.

CoilShot

I just beat it on hard mode and can't decide if its worth beating on crushing mode since its was so frustrating on specific parts. Anyone beat it on crushing mode yet?

gdt

Need a ship MP map.

Second half of the map the ship is sinking and lopsided.

Also, a plane map too.

In the air this time, second half of the map the plane is falling out of the sky

You're welcome ND. Just send the check in the mail.

r.gun

Neo Member
CoilShot said:
I just beat it on hard mode and can't decide if its worth beating on crushing mode since its was so frustrating on specific parts. Anyone beat it on crushing mode yet?

I found it a lot less frustrating on crushing because I knew how the encounters were going to play out. Also knowing where the power weapons are the second time around helps a lot too.

Anyone else having this problem? Sometimes when I aim my character will roll and blunt or do some other button command i didn't press. I wanna know if its the game or my controller.

Wickwire

I finished my crushing run this weekend. I enjoyed the game so much more this time through. Melee fighting without the QTE indicators is much better. They should have it like that on all difficulties.

Even though I still feel this is the easiest game out of the three some parts had me raging:

The small room with the Jin and the long fountains. screw you Naughty Dog. The Tau and RPG helped a lot with taking those fast MFers out.

The the second half of the sandstorm. That took a while. Again using the tau to pick off all the snipers. I notived if you aim slightly down and to the right from the lazer sight you can get a head shot and take them out.

The fight with the PAK guy on the outside of the ship. Kept dying before I could get the grenade launcher. The ballroom(?) in the ship and the scene before the ship sinks had me ready to whip my controller at the wall. That entire damn ship was the hardest part of the game.

Tau is the best gun in the game. I couldn't have beat crushing without it!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Truant said:
Is the game out on the PSN store?
For some reason none of the Uncharted games are on PSN. While you could argue that it would be a bit crazy to put the 46GB game up for download for most people, UC1 was something like 20GB, so it wouldn't be that crazy big compared to some other stuff they have on there.

Papercuts said:
Me either. I got caught at the end of syria(one guy left) and then had to fight an entire army. :\
Argh! I just got past that spot, did the same exact mistake simply by being stupidhead. I rushed into a room where I clearly should have been more cautious. I'm almost positive it was the very last guy left too. Still, only maybe 5-6 bad guys came after they were alerted, so I wouldn't call it an entire army. I felt so crappy about 'failing' this that I wanted to just reload checkpoint, but I still decided against it.

Top Bottom