• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

You could also include The Order, but I think that has more to do with QB/The Order not being very good

Did you play it?

I finished TO, it always looked like garbage (since the gameplay reveal at least), seems insulting putting QB next to it from what I've seen.
Okay. We'll see. I'm calling 94. I mean ROTR scored the same overall as TR from last gen. 86

The sequel is regarded by almost everyone as much more superior, so in a way you just proved that U4 might be a better game (and I believe it will) and still score as much or lower.

High 9 is 95+ man, how can a 91-92 scores can be high 9.

We talked about surpassing U2 and TLOU 95-96 scores, it's almost impossible this gen.

And I've seen lots of QB's gameplay and read gaf's impressions, 77 MC seems very harsh but I didn't play so I won't judge.

77 for Quantum Break is actually little bit generous. Game's just too bland most of the time to warrant anything higher than a 75

Edit: 94 Metacritic would be huge, and yet achievable. I like those odds.

The sequel is regarded by almost everyone as superior, so in a way you just proved that U4 might be a better game (and I believe it will) and still score as much or lower.
UC4 getting a 95 or 96 wouldn't be seen as a bad thing imo lol. One point below or above a game is basically nothing. It's when it's several points below that's when you can say it's not as good. Like UC3 is a 92 while UC2 is a 96. UC2 and TLOU is at a 96 and 95. It's debatable on which is better.

Skele7on

Banned
QB was great, but its more experimental nature of combining television with a game put some people off.

Personally, I feel like the game got kind of a raw deal, same as Alan Wake did.

QB was a great game, the issue I found is that because the dramatic cut to funding to the TV side it really did hurt the game in the end, it was a beautifully married piece of media that ultimately suffered in the xbox divorce of TV

Gurish

UC4 getting a 95 or 96 wouldn't be seen as a bad thing imo lol. One point below or above a game is basically nothing. It's when it's several points below that's when you can say it's not as good. Like UC3 is a 92 while UC2 is a 96. UC2 and TLOU is at a 96 and 95. It's debatable on which is better.

I think U2 score territory is out of the question this gen, the only game that can get it is GTA6 or Cyberpunk, just my bet.

U4 will sit around U3 scores even though it would be better in anyway.

This doesn't really apply imo, better games get rated lower than their predecessors all the time, just look at Fallout 3 and New Vegas, NV is generally considered the better game, it rated a full 9 points lower than 3. Another example is MGS 3, it rated about 4 points lower than 2, but by many, 3 is considered the pinnacle of the series.

It's part of the reason that numbered scores are stupid, but I won't get into that here.

This doesn't really apply imo, better games get rated lower than their predecessors all the time, just look at Fallout 3 and New Vegas, NV is generally considered the better game, it rated a full 9 points lower than 3. Another example is MGS 3, it rated about 4 points lower than 2, but by many, 3 is considered the pinnacle of the series.

It's part of the reason that numbered scores are stupid, but I won't get into that here.

According to whom? It seemed like the opposite to me.

Mostly people who were fans of the originals at first, and it is a far superior Fallout game, 3 is better at being something of an amusement park, but over the years, there's been a shift, ask anyone and I guarantee the majority will tell you that NV was the better game.

rob305

If anyone knows a place in south florida selling it this weekend send me a message. Will paypal you $20 for the tip

SomTervo

All 3 games you mentioned are in the all time best lists of their respective genre and none of them is an high 9, so yea, it's harder to get that U2 scores as it used to be.

Besides after the (relatively) brutal scores QB got, I'm afraid cinematic games in general are not as loved as they used to be.

I love Quantum Break, but it isn't even as good as Uncharted 2, honestly. That game was a masterpiece. And if UC4 is remotely comparable to 2, I dont think UC4 (or "cinematic games" in general) has anything to worry about.

Not generally, that was exaggeration, but it definitely gets more praise than any of the others for its role-playing gameplay, story and writing. To many people that's the stuff that matters.

photogaz

As good as Uncharted 2 is good for me. You have to remember that TLOU was a game built from scratch from the minds of Neil and Bruce. Uncharted 4 was a project they were brought in for to save. Even though it's probably changed so much since, they were slightly restricted.

Dominator

Waiting for NJ stores to get the game like

kobe-bryant-memes.jpg

Rixxan

I really think that if you're someone who considers TLOU to be one of the best games ever made (like myself) - its pretty naive to expect Uncharted 4 to top that

Like the poster above stated, Neil and Bruce were somewhat brought in to save this project (maybe 'save' is too strong a word, but still)

Couple that with the fact that we are somewhat locked in from a narrative sense, and a tonality sense (we know this world, we know these characters, we know its lighthearted nature)

Expecting some blistering masterpiece like TLOU is only setting yourself up for disappointment

That being said I still consider Uncharted 2 one of the best games from last generation, so while i'm saying it probably wont be as good as TLOU, thats akin to me saying not to expect <insert entertainment property here> to be as good as <the best thing ever in its respective medium>

Personally, I feel there is a high chance I will prefer this to TLoU. I think that game is great, but there is no reason why ND can't make an even better game. ND's main strength is the total package and executing the entertainment. Everything I have seen from this game seems like they are bushing the boundaries of action adventure games beyond TLoU. Maybe I am wrong though, will find out soon.

I have a feeling that this will be my favourite ND game, yet it will get the lowest score out of all their games. I'd gladly eat crow tho.

EDIT: should have specified their last gen games only lol.

SomTervo

I really think that if you're someone who considers TLOU to be one of the best games ever made (like myself) - its pretty naive to expect Uncharted 4 to top that

Like the poster above stated, Neil and Bruce were somewhat brought in to save this project (maybe 'save' is too strong a word, but still)

Couple that with the fact that we are somewhat locked in from a narrative sense, and a tonality sense (we know this world, we know these characters, we know its lighthearted nature)

Expecting some blistering masterpiece like TLOU is only setting yourself up for disappointment

That being said I still consider Uncharted 2 one of the best games from last generation, so while i'm saying it probably wont be as good as TLOU, thats akin to me saying not to expect <insert entertainment property here> to be as good as <the best thing ever in its respective medium>

I've got a vibe you're going to eat those words, Rix

TLoU is in my top 5, but UC2 is in my top 10. UC4 could fall anywhere in that realm

Bruce Straley has commented on the situation.

My issue is spoiling things for the player. Because we craft these experiences and we have so many gems, we really go out of our way to preserve the experience for the player.

“That’s the thing that I get upset about, because we have major moments inside of this game that huge impact on the player. They’re specifically crafted; we’ve work very hard to craft this moment to make it land, make it impactful and to resonate into what you feel, if that’s spoiled for the player, then that hurts me and that hurts that player.

“Straight up, as the creator, that sucks.”

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/04...harted-4-director-weighs-in-on-stolen-copies/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom