• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Lots of impressions in the old Japanese launch thread that is now locked.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34020332&highlight=#post34020332

The sticks are very loose, but with motion added it works well. Some people still don't like it though, as it takes time to get used to. In that latest review, I did notice that he also used auto-aim which is not an option on Hard.
Thanks.

I definitely don't see myself using the motion aiming in the game so this could be a deal-breaker for me, at least until the game is cheaper.

dreamfall

And complete! First game beaten on the Vita!

Impressions:
- Aiming requires much getting used to. Right analog stick to aim feels a little bit loose, but learning how to use the right stick while incorporating gyro aim works wonders. It feels much more precise than the console iterations when you figure it out. You can use the right stick to aim in the general direction of an enemy, aim down the sights and tweak it with tilt for much precision. It feels great.
- Exploration is much more rewarding. There are several different types of collectibles, and obtaining a trophy requires finding the entire set. The charcoal rubbing segments can get a bit grating, but honestly it feels like a nice break in the action. Rotating pieces of puzzles, lining up photos to obtain mystery artifacts, and finding those glimmering environmental treasures add incentives to take your time with the game.
- Touchscreen navigation when climbing is a nice alternative. Opening doors, lifting objects, boosting other characters with touch didn't bother me (but I can sense that many will find this as pointless, if filler). Ledges will break often, requiring you to swipe up- and this keeps you engaged as you climb about.
- The story is typical Uncharted fanfare. The character interactions are awesome- and the rapport between Drake & others at times is really funny. I think Chase is an awesome addition to the UC cast, but Guerro seems a bit one dimensional. No more talk about the story, Western launch is soon! I will say that the treasures you collect as you proceed in the game tie back very well with the story you experience- there's commentary from Drake + other characters depending on what you take the time to pick up. It is neat!
- Sniping feels great. And there are quite a few action set pieces with it. I played the game on Normal, and it felt like a breeze. To add challenge, I'd sometimes try to use different weaponry to mix it up (aiming with the Sniper rifle feels very responsive with gyro, so I avoided relying on it).
- 72% completion on first run through, around 190-something headshots, and at least 14 hours or so (but I am a very slow gamer, I marveled at the visuals a lot and took a ton of screenshots...)

I didn't like Uncharted 3. I really enjoyed playing through Uncharted 2 the first time, but the first Uncharted I liked best and replayed it twice. Golden Abyss is an awesome translation of the franchise, and it looks incredible and plays even better. Kudos to Bend.

Just completed this.

Really liked the game except for the TERRIBLe end game sequence. i wont go into total details but its a series of quicktime button swipes (about 30 of them) and if you miss one or one doesnt register, you die.

Other then that its great.

Liked the new aiming system (esp with the gyroscope for the final touch to get a headshot) and the using the touch screen to get on ledges was nice too as you dont die so often.

In terms of all uncharted games i rate them like this.

UC2 = 9/10
UC Golden Abyss = 8/10
UC1 = 7/10
UC3 = 6/10

I now have to wait a week for UMVC3 and Blazblue to arrive for my vita :/

Pranay

Reviews -
Destructoid - 9.5
Eurogamer - 8
Pocket Gamer UK - 9
Playstationlife - 10
Everyeye.it - 8.5

Would love to hear more impressions of the game !

Raine

Its a lot more fun than uc3. Its not just predictable sequence after.sequence either. Really enjoyed it and u will too. The new character is really cool.

This is great to hear. I almost wish Drake was a teenager in this game (those who played UC3 know what I'm referring to). I think it would've been a nice change-up but I don't know how well that would've went over with him shooting guns and whatnot :lol

jcm

Amazon just told me the game will be here Monday. I'm still not sure I want to buy a launch Vita, though. What to do, what to do?

And complete! First game beaten on the Vita!

Impressions:
- Aiming requires much getting used to. Right analog stick to aim feels a little bit loose, but learning how to use the right stick while incorporating gyro aim works wonders. It feels much more precise than the console iterations when you figure it out. You can use the right stick to aim in the general direction of an enemy, aim down the sights and tweak it with tilt for much precision. It feels great.
- Exploration is much more rewarding. There are several different types of collectibles, and obtaining a trophy requires finding the entire set. The charcoal rubbing segments can get a bit grating, but honestly it feels like a nice break in the action. Rotating pieces of puzzles, lining up photos to obtain mystery artifacts, and finding those glimmering environmental treasures add incentives to take your time with the game.
- Touchscreen navigation when climbing is a nice alternative. Opening doors, lifting objects, boosting other characters with touch didn't bother me (but I can sense that many will find this as pointless, if filler). Ledges will break often, requiring you to swipe up- and this keeps you engaged as you climb about.
- The story is typical Uncharted fanfare. The character interactions are awesome- and the rapport between Drake & others at times is really funny. I think Chase is an awesome addition to the UC cast, but Guerro seems a bit one dimensional. No more talk about the story, Western launch is soon! I will say that the treasures you collect as you proceed in the game tie back very well with the story you experience- there's commentary from Drake + other characters depending on what you take the time to pick up. It is neat!
- Sniping feels great. And there are quite a few action set pieces with it. I played the game on Normal, and it felt like a breeze. To add challenge, I'd sometimes try to use different weaponry to mix it up (aiming with the Sniper rifle feels very responsive with gyro, so I avoided relying on it).
- 72% completion on first run through, around 190-something headshots, and at least 14 hours or so (but I am a very slow gamer, I marveled at the visuals a lot and took a ton of screenshots...)

I didn't like Uncharted 3. I really enjoyed playing through Uncharted 2 the first time, but the first Uncharted I liked best and replayed it twice. Golden Abyss is an awesome translation of the franchise, and it looks incredible and plays even better. Kudos to Bend.

Can't wait to play!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pumped for this. I liked Uncharted 3 quite a bit (albeit it was slow starting) and the impressions above make me feel good about this. :p

Christian

Without spoiling, are there different environments like in U2, or is it mostly jungle stuff?

I'm curious about this, too. I recently decided to pick up a PS Vita, and this is the game I'd probably get, but I'm curious about the variety of environments. Additionally, I know this is somewhat OT, but can anyone give me a brief idea of whether or not I can use my PS3 PSN account with my Vita, and if my trophies earned on the portable factor into my overall trophy level? I really haven't been following the details too closely, obviously. Much obliged.

KingK

I just read about the length of the game. That's really good to hear. I was afraid it was only going to be like 4 or 5 hours.

EDGE gave this a 7/10?

I've been reading EDGE for years and I think most reviews in EDGE are spot on, and a 7/10 in EDGE actually means the game is good, but not great/groundbreaking. Haven't read the review yet but it could be that, after three games, the UC-series are becoming too predictable for some ( this does not count for me personally ).

UberTag

Impressions:
This point above any of dreamfall's other impressions of the game really needs to be stressed. I didn't really start to enjoy the gunplay in Golden Abyss until I deprogrammed myself and STOPPED playing it like Uncharted on the PS3.

The reason for this is gyro aiming. If there's anything groundbreaking to take away from this title, it's this.

I ignored it for the most part in the early going without fully realizing it was having any kind of effect. When it dawned on me that the gyro implementation when taking photos was being incorporated into the rest of the gameplay, something clicked.

All of a sudden I'm moving around with my screen and lining up shots like I'm looking through the sights of a gun. I barely use the right-stick at all now in firefights except when I'm being shot at from multiple directions.

So when you're playing Uncharted with your launch Vitas next week... remember the following above all else. Aim with the system... not with the analog. In a lot of ways it feels like a marriage between Gears of War and classic arcade light gun fare like Time Crisis. And that's a VERY good thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They spent their development resources on a longer and more meaty single player campaign. I'm totally fine with that.

Absolute best thing they can do with a launch title, IMO.

Gacha-pin

JP version gets a new patch for near support, called Black market, next week. I don't think JGaf and importers are still playing this game though.

They spent their development resources on a longer and more meaty single player campaign. I'm totally fine with that.

Anyone can make their game longer by just throwing an additional 30 gunfights in your way. None of the reviews I've read have suggested this game throws something new and awesome into the mix which justifies the length. In fact, they've often made a point of saying that it's missing the larger set pieces of the console versions, and nothing that crazy really goes down.

I'm still interested in the game, but I'm going in expecting a less amazing Uncharted experience, but still an entertaining addition to the franchise. I just don't get it when people applaud padding a game to make it "x" amount of hours. I always prefer the most entertaining game possible. If that means that their budget only allowed for a 7 hour game, I'll take it. I'd rather have awesome and short, than long and boring because they padded the game with stupid shit that makes it seem longer.

Toki767

Anyone can make their game longer by just throwing an additional 30 gunfights in your way. None of the reviews I've read have suggested this game throws something new and awesome into the mix which justifies the length. In fact, they've often made a point of saying that it's missing the larger set pieces of the console versions, and nothing that crazy really goes down.

I'm still interested in the game, but I'm going in expecting a less amazing Uncharted experience, but still an entertaining addition to the franchise. I just don't get it when people applaud padding a game to make it "x" amount of hours. I always prefer the most entertaining game possible. If that means that their budget only allowed for a 7 hour game, I'll take it. I'd rather have awesome and short, than long and boring because they padded the game with stupid shit that makes it seem longer.

They based the game off the first Uncharted though, which didn't really have any big set pieces.

They based the game off the first Uncharted though, which didn't really have any big set pieces.

I'm not personally convinced that was their true intention. I think it was more a matter of limited time, budget, working on new hardware, and not having the ability to craft massive moments like we saw in Uncharted 2 and 3.

Most people agree U2 and U3 were better games than the original, so I think if they could have made a game as "big" as those, they would have.

JP version gets a new patch for near support, called Black market, next week. I don't think JGaf and importers are still playing this game though.

I am, but only because I was sidetracked by a bunch of other games. Going for the Platinum.
Glad to hear it's getting the patch, though. I noticed that the Japanese version is listed separately in near so I feared that we wouldn't get it.

I'm not personally convinced that was their true intention. I think it was more a matter of limited time, budget, working on new hardware, and not having the ability to craft massive moments like we saw in Uncharted 2 and 3.
The game has been in development since before Uncharted 2 was announced. I don't think it had much influence on Golden Abyss at all.
Check it out: http://www.1up.com/features/making-uncharted-golden-abyss

Uncharted 3 did exactly what you're saying, trying to one-up Uncharted 2 and in my opinion, it failed. I'm glad that Golden Abyss was more of a return to roots, because I loved it.. which is something that I cannot say for Uncharted 3.

Anyone can confirm if the US version is english-only or it has more languages (subtitles and/or voiced)?

There are subtitles in the cinematics?

First game complete! Really enjoyed it. The only downer was the predictable story, but it was still better than many other games.

Gyro aiming = amazing. Finished the game with 285 headshots with barely any effort.

Touchscreen climbing = guilty pleasure, and it was really fluid.

Cheska

I've only made it to Chapter 4, but I'm loving how many different puzzle aspects there are. Sure, some of them are easy like the charcoal scratching, but it's still a nice touch and really adds to the "treasure hunting" experience.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Beat it on Hard and had a lot of fun with it. I'll play some Hot Shots before I come back to this though.

Funny how gyro aiming is such a big deal now.

I'm pretty sure Gameloft mastered that for their halo clone like 2+ years ago ;)

And now we go full circle.

I'm liking it a lot so far, especially the clear differences between this game and the console versions. It almost feels like Uncharted 1/2/3 are the big Hollywood movie-style games, and Golden Abyss feels more like a TV series in comparison. Not quite the huge rollercoaster ride so far, and really gives you a lot of insight into Drake's life as an adventurer rather than sticking him in the middle of this huge international conflict like in UC2/UC3.

The moments you spend tracking down treasures, solving puzzles and exploring have a lot more impact in this game because there's just a lot more of it and it's tied to the story more. I absolutely love the "mysteries" thing and how the treasures are actually something you need to go out of your way to get to, rather than just a shiny object in the corner of the play area.

Not to deride Naughty Dog's games but this feels like more of a "game" rather than a cinematic experience, because that's what is suited better for handheld play compared to console play. Sony and Bend made a really smart choice in differentiating the game in this way.

Mrbob

I'm pretty sure Gameloft mastered that for their halo clone like 2+ years ago ;)

There has been a playstation portable device with ability to use gyro aiming released already?

What's your point?

Gameloft also mastered the art of releasing half assed games. Congratulations.

As soon as this drops from $50, I think I'll pick it up. Of course I might get impatient and do the buy 2 get one deal at Target and Uncharted would be one of my games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

It was also done 3 years ago in Killzone 2 for PS3 before the first Nova even existed.

That said, the big deal is that the feature is being used in a game that's actually worth a damn. Gameloft games have almost universally been generic rip-offs. The Nova games ARE NOT good shooters at all. On the surface, they seem decent, but when you look deeper you find very poor scenario design, terrible AI, bad level design, lack of physics, bad movement, etc etc. They just FEEL cheap and awful.

Uncharted GA isn't on par with the second and third PS3 titles, but it feels infinitely superior to any similar 3rd person shooter on iOS and comes remarkably close to matching (sometimes exceeding) Uncharted 1.

That's really what I've discovered with Vita. A lot of iOS games just don't have the design work on the back end that really makes for a great game. Some of the quickies are really well done, but anything that tries to be more involved almost always falls flat.

I screwed myself over by reversing the horizontal motion controls to make aiming more intuitive for me, and then wondering why it was taking ten tries just to cross a log. I'd forgotten I had to tilt the device in the opposite way the tutorial suggested.

It was funny, I was at a part at the very beginning where Marissa(?) was on a log getting shot, and she shouts "Nate! Nate!" And then I'd get on the log, slip and fall off, and she'd yell "NAAATE!"

After about ten tries of this (and by that point I was laughing and just throwing myself into the water), I said to my lady, sitting in the same room, "Guess what my main character's name is?", and she's like "NAAAATE."

All right, maybe not funny. Anyway, it's the only Uncharted I've played since a demo of the first one four years ago, and I'm loving it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm loving this game but rubbing things is getting old. I don't use the touch climbing stuff at all either.
Touch climbing is great because you draw the path you want Drake to take then you sit back and watch the beauty. I don't use any of the tilt controls though. In fact I didn't even try them.

Djin1979

Playing it (80% completion), I never use the gyro and I chain the headshot without any problem (assist is off) but it takes some time to get used to the right stick.

The game is cool, but it's not stellar.

My UC rating :

UC2 = 9/10
UC3 = 8/10
UC 1/GA = 7/10

A Sully spin off would be fantastic !

I screwed myself over by reversing the horizontal motion controls to make aiming more intuitive for me, and then wondering why it was taking ten tries just to cross a log. I'd forgotten I had to tilt the device in the opposite way the tutorial suggested.

haha yea, it happened to me aswell, then I decided to turn off completely the gyro aiming :p

Top Bottom