• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

-griffy-

Banned
Eh UC2 and UC3 is still mostly shooting.

That is what I am saying.

But they do have better pacing as far as breaking up shooting with traversal and all that, with quiet moments (2 spoiler
walking through that Nepali village for example
).

The first game was the base with which 2 and 3 were able to achieve greatness. It established the basic toolset which saw it's full potential realized in the sequels.

hawk2025

But they do have better pacing as far as breaking up shooting with traversal and all that, with quiet moments (2 spoiler
).

The first game was the base with which 2 and 3 were able to achieve greatness. It established the basic toolset which saw it's full potential realized in the sequels.

Precisely :)

Loudninja

).

Agreed.

I agree, the movement is pretty good even in Drake's Fortune. I wonder if it'll get better in UC2/UC3 with going into cover and out of it. Sometimes Drake refuses to go into the cover when i push circle!

Digitalrelic: Yeah i'm excited for Uncharted 2 still. I really like the premise of the series and i was aware that i shouldn't wait as much from the first Uncharted.

And yes! F*** the enemy waves in Drake's Fortune. So annoying!

The latter half of Drakes Fortune gets better at this, imo. Although the difficulty jumps because the enemies get a bit more bullet spongy and better armed.

UC2 is basically a revelation in comparison.

Great OT
buNemzR.gif

lol wut

LuuKyK

Amazing title and OP. Thanks!

Can't wait to relieve every game and proceed to try the U4 Beta. Should be a blast. :D

But they do have better pacing as far as breaking up shooting with traversal and all that, with quiet moments.

I totally agree, but in Drake's Fortune you can get a good momentum going and then blast through like 3 chapters of shooting. Personally I have that "uh, maybe after this cutscene it would be a good idea to take a break" (and then don't come back until days later because some family issue or so came up in said break) less in 1 and more 2 & 3. Plowing through a game in 2-3 rolls may leave people feeling like bad value in a 60$ game, but here in a collection, where you want UC1 more or less behind you to play the glory of UC2, it's kinda helpful for me, this momentum.

foxbeldin

).

Exactly. I remember coming out of uc1 thinking 'hey, that's a cool game, i enjoyed it' but i only became a fan of the franchise with uc2. That game was amazing.

Exactly. I remember coming out of uc1 thinking 'hey, that's a cool game, i enjoyed it' but i only became a fan of the franchise with uc2. That game was amazing.
yep.
as I remember it, Uncharted 1 was good, not great... Uncharted 2 was perhaps the biggest step forward for any video game franchise (especially in the same generation). It improved on everything, gameplay, camera work, graphics, set pieces, mo-cap, story, dialog. That first playthrough of UC2 was radical.

Revven

Playing Uncharted for the first time right now. I am at chapter 10. It's still quite a looker for such an old game and the 60fps feel great. The characters are good and so are the setpieces.

But oh boy, why is there so much shooting? The game desperatly needs some quiet parts, because there are waves of enemies literally everywhere. Doesn't help that you sometimes spawn at checkpoints where the enemy is right in front of you. The shooting gameplay is also nothing really special. You can just headshot everyone with the pistol even over great distances.
Also Jumping and climbing doesn't feel so good sometimes.

I hope these problems get fixed in the second game.

Those issues are fixed in 2 and 3.

Fantastic OT! I'm always blown away by the amount of care and time everyone puts into these OTs. Hopefully I can pull my weight sometime in the future and work on my first.

Anyways I have this preordered on Amazon but they have not shipped yet. I'm hype!

Loudninja

Digital foundry on Uncharted 1
If you're planning on picking up The Nathan Drake Collection and still have a copy of the original PS3 game lying around, we'd recommend loading it up yourself to check out the difference. It looks great regardless, but revisiting the original will help players better appreciate the improvements made to the remastered version. Picking up the Dual Shock 4 after slogging through the PS3 original truly feels like a breath of fresh air. With its first chapter, the Nathan Drake Collection absolutely delivers - this is truly one of the finest remasters we've seen to date.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-fortune-ps4-nathan-drake-collection-face-off

Digital foundry on Uncharted 2
As tempting as it may be to jump right into this brilliant sequel, we still have to recommend playing the original Uncharted first if you haven't. The impact of Uncharted 2 is much greater once you've experienced Drake's Fortune and the remastered version here is by far and away the best way to play the game. The mix of Naughty Dog's brilliant design and Bluepoint's technical skills in bringing the game to PlayStation 4 results in a definitive edition that should hold up for years to come.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-thieves-nathan-drake-collection-ps4-face-off

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also.. is there a story other than "Treasure! Let's go! Oh no bad guys! Follow the trail of bad guys!" ? I hope they can improve on this a lot when i get to Uncharted 2 / 3.
It's also very conflicting that it's so light hearted and yet you have to kill so much people. Just.. it's weird as hell, man. But then again, loads of people get killed in eg. The Expendables 2 and i just brush it off like it's nothing so..
On this, I will tell you - it's not about the story, it's about the characters and their interaction and banter. But even just the story alone - consider this. He's on an airplane to get the treasure. His airplane gets shot down by the same mercenaries that are later trying to kill him. At that point it's not about the treasure anymore, it's about saving your hide and getting off that island, and the only way to do so is stealing the boat from the very people who are actively trying to kill you, because they don't want you around that treasure. Not sure how far you are, so without spoiling things, the treasure will only come into picture at a later point when it finally becomes clear what that treasure really is. Basically, throughout all the game, there's not a single point where you have any option but to either defend yourself, and try to escape, or die (or do something for a grander purpose later on). I wish the later two games kept that level of internal consistency of the morality of your actions, but they haven't done that entirely (although, they do in fact paint Drake as a darker, more rogue character than the first game does). Still though, in all three games, it's only the bad guys who die from your hand, and at several points you get to help the good guys and the innocents.

Graphics & Atmosphere:
Being the first Uncharted game and early in the life of PS3, it looks relatively good for it's age. Everything is very flat though and it really kills the atmosphere. Flat colours, flat textures, flat everything. Doesn't surprise me though and i wasn't expecting a looker here so i'm okay with it.
I find visuals in this game still pretty damn good in places, especially in this remaster where much of the shading is re-done. Locations like when you first see the submarine and everything around it are masterfully done. But I agree that a lot of locations don't have that level of quality.

Overall, what I like the most about UC1 is that it has the level of intimacy both with the location and the characters that's rarely seen before or since. You travel the whole game in a continuous journey, mostly on foot, becoming intimate with the mysterious location. I really like when games do this (i.e. MGS1 and 3) and they have progressively abandoned that concept in UC2 (where you still spend most of the game in a continuous journey, but not just on foot) and UC3 (which takes place all over the world).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Has anyone made much progress with Brutal mode in any of the games?

I tried it, see my vid here. It's very tough. I gave up on that first serious ch4 encounter, will not try again. TLOU Grounded was very challenging but also fun, here I wasn't feeling the urge to continue. Crushing feels like the perfect hard difficulty, Brutal feels like one step too far for me.

Tidbit: what Arne told me during my interview (which I still plan on translating for you guys, if there's any interest) is that Brutal is the very toughest difficulty Bluepoint's best tester could beat. There was a difficulty beyond Brutal that he gave up on. They went one notch below that, he could beat the game in that setting... and that became Brutal.

Makikou

On this, I will tell you - it's not about the story, it's about the characters and their interaction and banter. But even just the story alone - consider this. He's on an airplane to get the treasure. His airplane gets shot down by the same mercenaries that are later trying to kill him. At that point it's not about the treasure anymore, it's about saving your hide and getting off that island, and the only way to do so is stealing the boat from the very people who are actively trying to kill you, because they don't want to you around that treasure. Not sure how far you are, so without spoiling things, the treasure will only come into picture at a later point when it finally becomes clear what that treasure really is. Basically, throughout all the game, there's not a single point where you have any option but to either defend yourself or die. I wish the later two games kept that internal consistency of the morality of your actions, but they haven't done that entirely (although, they do in fact paint Drake as a darker, more rogue character than the first game does).

I find visuals in this game still pretty damn good in places, especially in this remaster where much of the shading is re-done. Locations like when you first see the submarine and everything around it are masterfully done. But I agree that a lot of locations don't have that level of quality.

Overall, what I like the most about UC1 is that it has the level of intimacy both with the location and the characters that rarely seen before or since. You travel the whole game in a continuous jurney, mostly on foot, becoming intimate with the mysterious location. I really like when games do this (i.e. MGS1 and 3) and they have progressively abandoned that concept in UC2 (where you still spend most of the game in a continuous journey, but not just on foot) and UC3 (which takes place all over the world).

Oh yeah, the
nazi u-boot in the middle of the forest under a waterfall
was definetly the highlight of the game for me. It looked amazing and it was pretty cool you could get to go inside it. I was ready to wager that the game would throw me some
nazi zombies though.. :D

It just bugs me that it isn't explained (atleast not yet) how they got anti-aircraft guns there so fast, including so much mercenaries. It's just weird how they managed to beat Drake & Elena there. I see your point but i wish it had been less abrupt maybe.
Don't know! Enjoyed your post & views!

I'm 4 Chapters in of UC1. The improvement is like day and night. UC1 is well worth considering alongside 2 and 3 now, it shouldn't be neglected like it used to.

I finished 2 and 3 on PS3 on Crushing but I've never done UC1 in Crushing. I can't imagine what the post-game Brutal mode will be. Surely not 1 hit kill?

Alqo I'm noticing the music a lot more than I used to. Top quality stuff!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It just bugs me that it isn't explained (atleast not yet) how they got anti-aircraft guns there so fast, including so much mercenaries. It's just weird how they managed to beat Drake & Elena there. I see your point but i wish it had been less abrupt maybe.
They are well funded, and you'll see why. I don't think they have any actual AA guns, at least they don't show anything that prominent in the game. But just one of those portable shoulder fired self-targeting rocket things would do the trick against such a slow and low flying airplane.

watdaeff4

Initially, I was going to wait for a sale, but dammit if Sony's carrot of 10% coupon for preordering didn't suck me in. Esp. This month with the $100/$15 deal.

Ready to replay all these.

-griffy-

Banned
Oh yeah, the
nazi u-boot in the middle of the forest under a waterfall
was definetly the highlight of the game for me. It looked amazing and it was pretty cool you could get to go inside it. I was ready to wager that the game would throw me some
nazi zombies though.. :D

Just remember they are adventure movies as games. What's the story of Raiders of the Lost Ark? Indy tries to get to the Ark before the Nazis get it. Simple story. It's the characters and their interplay that carry things along, and therefore make you care when they get in danger during exciting action set pieces. The goal of Uncharted is to give you fun characters you care about and let you actually play through those set pieces, rather than watching them play out in a cutscene.

The story in the Uncharted games is often fairly simple, but the storytelling is often stellar.

Hoje0308

Banned
I tried it, see my vid here. It's very tough. I gave up on that first serious ch4 encounter, will not try again. TLOU Grounded was very challenging but also fun, here I wasn't feeling the urge to continue. Crushing feels like the perfect hard difficulty, Brutal feels like one step too far for me.

Tidbit: what Arne told me during my interview (which I still plan on translating for you guys, if there's any interest) is that Brutal is the very toughest difficulty Bluepoint's best tester could beat. There was a difficulty beyond Brutal that he gave up on. They went one notch below that, he could beat the game in that setting... and that became Brutal.

Oh boy, sounds like I have quite the challenge ahead of me.

And I, for one, would very much like to read that interview.

I wish I had the free time and budget for this. $60 is too rich.

It's being packaged with ps4s soon right? I expect under $20 keys to be available early next year.

Revven

I'm 4 Chapters in of UC1. The improvement is like day and night. UC1 is well worth considering alongside 2 and 3 now, it shouldn't be neglected like it used to.

I finished 2 and 3 on PS3 on Crushing but I've never done UC1 in Crushing. I can't imagine what the post-game Brutal mode will be. Surely not 1 hit kill?

Alqo I'm noticing the music a lot more than I used to. Top quality stuff!

Brutal is two hits = death, very slow regen. of health and low ammo pick-ups (low as in you only pick up 2 or 3 bullets!) Don't think it changes anything else beyond those three things (from what I read of some people who have tried it and what I saw on youtube). Headshots will be very key to succeed in it until you find power weapons and the like.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Brutal is two hits = death and very slow regen. of your health. Don't think it changes anything else beyond those two things (from what I read of some people who have tried it and what I saw on youtube).

Yes it does: you get far less ammo (at least that's what I remember). I got like 3 or 4 bullets per gun pickup. You can check in my vid how much I get and compare, but I'm pretty sure ammo is scarce compared to the other modes.

Revven

Yes it does: you get far less ammo (at least that's what I remember). I got like 3 or 4 bullets per gun pickup. You can check in my vid how much I get and compare, but I'm pretty sure ammo is scarce compared to the other modes.

I edited my post, I forgot about that part lol.

Kenpa64

Great OP, loved the reference.

I played them on PS3 but I just own U3, so this is a great opportunity to have all three games. They were amazing on PS3, so I can't wait to play them in PS4.

I pre-ordered an special edition. Maybe tomorrow i can start playing U1.

Uncharted 4 is around the corner, let's remember how it felt to be Drake.

Top Bottom