• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

I didn't realize that when I pay for a ticket, I also give up my right to keep my seat should the airline decide to randomly volunteer me.

Bandini

While the stock price drop is bad, I don't think it's bad enough to get the CEO fired by itself. The market is down overall today and recent indicators are positive - March traffic data is good and Cowen & Co. just raised their target price from 72 to 75. Analysts also don't think this incident will actually cause much of a drop in traffic.

It could, however, be the straw that broke the camel's back.

kyle-777-

Oh c'mon people trying to use his past to justify the incident.

It could have been you and you probably are an angel, so?

Being a doctor or a good person with a clean past have nothing to do with that.

NeOak

Oh c'mon people trying to use his past to justify the incident.

It could have been you and you probably are an angel, so?

Being a doctor or a good person with a clean past have nothing to do with that.
Both got banned.

I bet there will be a third in a few pages.

Tovarisc

Everyone and everything is riding United...

vYfQKTq.png

https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/851715900948574208

My dad called me about how sad he was that his flight to uk was on united, and how he's telling his travel agent to not book him on united anymore.

My dad is like the least internetty person ever this is spreading so wide, I love it.

rjinaz

My dad called me about how sad he was that his flight to uk was on united, and how he's telling his travel agent to not book him on united anymore.

My dad is like the least internetty person ever this is spreading so wide, I love it.

I know I'll never fly United again. People that I have talked to won't either. Basically anybody that can afford to be more picky. Those that need to save are less likely, but I can't fault them for that if United has the lower fare by a good deal.

But yeah it's refreshing to see that people seem to be serious about a boycott from what I can see anyway.

wutwutwut

I just hope overbooking gets banned in the near future.
Nothing wrong with overbooking. Just make the bumping process purely voluntary. Boo hoo you had to pay $5000 for someone to give up a seat? That's how capitalism works. The price is whatever the market can bear.

It won't be banned. If banning is even considered airlines lobby just does some free speech and nothing is changed. There is so much money and profits to be had in overbooking.
It's actually not too much of an issue if the airline handed it correctly. Offer a good compensation and people will bite.

Audioboxer

It won't be banned. If banning is even considered airlines lobby just does some free speech and nothing is changed. There is so much money and profits to be had in overbooking.

IIRC that poster in here earlier who did the massive long response posts said it used to be? Or the ways in which the airlines used to act wasn't based around it. In the 80s or earlier? I might need to go back and check. I'm sure the consensus was to return to a state like that would have to have everyone on board, or at least the majority to pay prices for tickets that reflect profit on every ticket. With the race to the bottom for prices and what consumers at large wish to pay for anything in the service industry you'll probably have a bit of resistance from the consumers let alone the airlines for ticket prices having to be higher across the board.

Much more likely is reform within compensation regulations and/or no airline ever dragging anyone off a flight again as I'm sure if this situation ever repeats itself every airline will just leave the adamant passenger alone.

I find very sad that this topic surpassed 50 pages already but yesterday's San Bernadino one where people got shot and killed I cant even fin in the front page of GAF.

This thread deserves the attention, sure. But the level of desensitized Americans have become at gun violence scares me.

Dalek

I can't imagine how happy they must be at Pepsi now.

Oh man.

I find very sad that this topic surpassed 50 pages already but yesterday's San Bernadino one where people got shot and killed I cant even fin in the front page of GAF.

This thread deserves the attention, sure. But the level of desensitized Americans have become at gun violence scares me.

That story is heartbreaking....

This keeps being presented as overbooking - but it wasn't? A crew was going to deadhead on this plane, and that's why they kept begging for volunteers, not that they had sold more tickets than available seats. Am I missing a key point?

Audioboxer

This keeps being presented as overbooking - but it wasn't? A crew was going to deadhead on this plane, and that's why they kept begging for volunteers, not that they had sold more tickets than available seats. Am I missing a key point?

I guess it depends on how that crew was enlisted on that flight. Even if they were pencilled in as standby then really the airline in the best case scenario would not sell those 4 seats because of the possibility the crew would need them. That's not the way they work though, they won't risk 4 empty seats from the crew pulling out last minute (or not being needed) so they'll sell them and hope for the best.

They'll also now be saying pilot's and/or cabin crew take precedent over passengers and while that sounds horrible on paper, it does seem to be part of the contract with the airline that "more valuable passengers" can take the lead.

From all the thorny vines of conduct, contract and small print the airline isn't even obligated to much other than get you from A to B, at some point. It sounds insane but it's how they get away with everything, and compensation is only rolled out as they're regulated to do so when they do shaft you (delays/cancellations/bumping).

Nerokis

What the fuck is up with the smear campaign on the Doctor guy? WTF.

From the United CEO's statement: "While the facts and circumstances are still evolving, especially with respect to why this customer defied Chicago Aviation Security Officers the way he did. . ."

Smear campaign = evolving facts.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What the fuck is up with the smear campaign on the Doctor guy? WTF.

You should watch the documentary Hot Coffee- they talk about how McDonalds paid a PR firm to spread rumors that the woman who burned two massive holes in her thighs that were so big the femur was exposed was just a whiny little bitch who spilled a little coffee on herself on purpose to sue McDonalds. Tort reform bullshit.

That is exactly what is happening here.

Jer

Yeah the smear campaign is totally gross, especially because it has nothing to do with anything. Oh wow the guy had a drug arrest 10 years ago. Who cares?! Has absolutely no relationship to the current situation.

Dunlop

Tragic story, as a Canadian Sandy Hook was where I realized that gun control would never be a reality in the US and tragedies like above are just a reality to living there.

I know I'll never fly United again. People that I have talked to won't either. Basically anybody that can afford to be more picky. Those that need to save are less likely, but I can't fault them for that if United has the lower fare by a good deal.

But yeah it's refreshing to see that people seem to be serious about a boycott from what I can see anyway.

At this point, I'd rather fly Spirit.

TyrantII

So some shitty newspaper is trying to do a hit piece on the guy for clicks?

I'm not one for retribution. But it would be fitting if the entire newspaper was doxed and dirty dirt dug up and diseminated on everyone who works there. Let's see what we can find on the CEO and BOD of united. I'm sure they are squeaky clean.

Stones in glass houses. Past actions don't really have any relevance with what went down on that plane. If this guy "deserves it", so does every dope that claims so if you dig enough.

Fuck this mob/ tribal bullshit. This is how YOU end up being the next "example".

If anything I hope this story will help people understand how often minorities get smeared with these "he's no angel" campaigns in spite of clear evidence of wrongdoing by the authorities.

It won't though.

I'm not sure it's so much a smear campaign so much as people just latching onto a big story, TMZ always does this

The people posting it though...ya

Peccavi

The mental gymnastics is staggering.

Next time some poor girl is raped, let's dig into her past and victim blame her in an effort to absolve the abuser from any wrongdoing.

Doesn't that sound completely and utterly insane? That is exactly what is happening here. Why is it okay for "journalists" to do it in this case? It is never okay. It's disgusting and should be condemned in the strongest of terms.

Fuck that jazz. Every time.
Unfortunately, that's actually the status quo.

cgcg

According to the terms you agree to when you buy a ticket, that is exactly the case.

Maybe they should put that shit right under the booking button: "attention, paying for your ticket doesn't guaranteed your ticket" and let's see how that goes.

People like you are hilarious, it's in the 20 page fine prints so it is all OK. Put more duvious shit in there and everything is all OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom