• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

What a delicious twist. I'd be salivating if I were a lawyer right now.

If I were a lawyer I'd be camping outside this dude's house like

zBw2W9x.jpg

Does he have stock in the company that would cause him to have such fanboyism of an airline company?

No, he's just a proud racist.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
NPR had a bit yesterday about how this has blown up in China, the video getting hundreds of millions of views. Boycott movements were taking root. It's one of United's biggest markets. No wonder the CEO is singing a different tune.

How utterly predictable tat the press would turn on the victim. Assholes.

Edit: and it's the wrong guy! Jesus.

Which confuses me a bit. He has a Vietnamese name, why was he referred to as being Chinese initially and why is it such a big deal in China? China and Vietnam aren't exactly best buds. Did I miss a part of this story?

norm9

Which confuses me a bit. He has a Vietnamese name, why was he referred to as being Chinese initially and why is it such a big deal in China? China and Vietnam aren't exactly best buds. Did I miss a part of this story?

Chinese and Vietnamese have a lot of cross pollination.

Nepenthe

All of the journalists and editors who ran with the stories about his supposed past in an effort to defame this man need to be fired, blacklisted, and then sued.

Tripon

NPR had a bit yesterday about how this has blown up in China, the video getting hundreds of millions of views. Boycott movements were taking root. It's one of United's biggest markets. No wonder the CEO is singing a different tune.

How utterly predictable tat the press would turn on the victim. Assholes.

Edit: and it's the wrong guy! Jesus.

The Chinese diaspora is like the Jewish diaspora. The Chinese are everywhere, and even when they assimilate, they still consider themselves Chinese. Dao is probably at least part ethnically Chinese.

Oh man, if it turns out that in a rush to victim blame, they put out info on the wrong guy....

This guy is gonna have enough money to buy two airlines

Maybe the story has less to do with race and nationality and more to do with basic decency and humane treatment of paying customers.

siddx

Chinese and Vietnamese have a lot of cross pollination.

Not really? I lived in Vietnam for several years and calling a Vietnamese person Chinese was going to go very badly in most cases.

rjinaz

A bunch of those tweets are pretty old, has this been confirmed yet?

I did a little looking earlier, and not that i have seen, no it hasn't. There was a thread on reddit that a mod posted, but then deleted because the info couldn't be validated. That was this morning.

Looks like it might be the wrong guy completely...

God I hope this is true, just to round out how big of a clusterfuck this whole situation is.

Regardless, I just hope this dude sues. I would love it if he doesn't even settle and just punishes this company as much as possible. Maybe then they and other airlines would reconsider their practice of treating paying customers like shit.

I did a little looking earlier, and not that i have seen, no it hasn't. There was a thread on reddit that a mod posted, but then deleted because the info couldn't be validated. That was this morning.

Sorry I've been away from my phone. Yeah I tried looking it up but all I could find are links pointing back to deleted posts and tweets.

Hopefully it's the wrong guy. I can't imagine being dragged through the mud like that on top of that bullshit.

Looks like he's got two attorneys now, one to deal with the personal injury (cops and indirectly, UA) and one against UA on the myriad causes of action he has against it.

Well, the Courier-Journal has other articles where they talked to Dao's co-workers about his return to medicine, so perhaps there isn't a case of mistaken identity here.

He'll have to make due with squeezing enough money to buy just one airline now.

Kieli

The media running a smear/slander/libel campaign against him is fucking ridiculous.

Like, what does his personal life have to do with his treatment by United Shit Lines? Absolutely nothing.

And to make matters worse, they were apparently talking about the wrong dude? Jesus Christ. Hope this man wins every defamation suit he files.

SRG01

Jesus Christ, I would laugh if this wasn't so terrible. Assault, smear campaign, botched PR, and now mistaken identity?

wandering

Banned
Fuck United, will never fly with them. Good, nice to get that out.

There is only one male Dao listed with an active medical license on the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, which is publicly searchable. All medical licenses in the US should be searchable. Unless journalists are really that dumb, or the Kentucky medical board is that inept, there is only one male Dr Dao practicing in all of Kentucky.

Edit: also tried searching their database for Thanh, Duc Dao, Duc-dao, and Ducdao. No records.

I don't know who to believe

Not really? I lived in Vietnam for several years and calling a Vietnamese person Chinese was going to go very badly in most cases.

Chinese-Vietnamese people exist, though a lot of them fled Vietnam during the war. I've got a few friends with surnames like Tran and Huynh who grew up speaking Cantonese.

siddx

There are many Vietnamese of Chinese-descent in the US, many being refugees from the Vietnam War.

Chinese-Vietnamese people exist, though a lot of them fled Vietnam during the war. I've got a few friends with surnames like Tran and Huynh who grew up speaking Cantonese.

Ah yeah that makes sense, should have thought of that.

SRG01

A lot of Chinese-Vietnamese were also Chinese refugees from China during/after WWII and the communist takeover... who subsequently fled Vietnam after the Vietnam war.

One of my former best friends is half-Caucasian and half-Viet/Chinese.

edit: There's also a lot of cross-over between Vietnamese and Cantonese populations too as Vietnam and Guangzhou share a border. Many of the border dialects sound like a cross between Vietnamese and Cantonese, although there's a lot of sub-dialects within Cantonese as well...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
All of the journalists and editors who ran with the stories about his supposed past in an effort to defame this man need to be fired, blacklisted, and then sued.

They will all be fired guaranteed and their papers/websites all have opened themselves up to lawsuits for defamation of character.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Been like half a day now and them getting the wrong guy still hasn't been verified, so I'd be really surprised if that was the case. I mean, it'd be funny as fuck if they tried to "he was no angel" him and they got the wrong guy but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

SephiZack

Speaking as a Chinese, I noticed that Chinese people tend to like other Asians more than "westerners", even if they are not best buds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom