• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakep267

I don't understand why the amount of the incentive doesn't just keep going up. No takers at 800? How about $2,000 dollars worth of airline miles. No one at $2,000? $2,500. Eventually SOMEONE will take it.
Give me 10 grand and a free hotel and I'm gone

This is bullcrap! My father works at JetBlue and if he or the family want to fly on an airplane and it's full, tough luck for us. We can't go on unless there are actual seats that were not purchased. We wait for the next plane. We don't rob a paying customer of their seat. I'd feel horrible.
This did not happen. The crew members were in standby and needed to get to another airport because they needed to crew a flight there. They didn't go on holidays.

Not advocating for United (Scumbags), but if I was the guy in charge of the situation, I would have spoken to the Doctor, heard he had patients and picked another number at random.

Still might not have avoided the situation, but it would certainly have been less of a cluster fuck.

bionic77

I am curious what his thought-process here was...

"Maybe if I resist enough they'll let me stay?"

And also, did the computer really pick someone at random, or did they gun directly for the non-white passenger?
The thought process was I live in a free country and they are not going to beat and drag me off an airplane to make way for someone else like this is some shithole of a country.

He miscalculated on that one. This is America. Dignity can go fuck itself.

With the way America is going I am not surprised at all that people l, even here, are going to find fault with the victim. That's how we do in the US of A in 2017.

Aselith

LOL that dude has zero dignity to be dragged out like an animal. Stand up and be a man with a feeling of self worth.

What am I trying to say? I'm saying as a doctor he should probably have realized that once multiple security guards come onto the aircraft and tell him if he didn't leave the plane that he would be forcefully removed. Instead of taking the shitty situation like an adult, he decided to go kicking and screaming like a 10 year old in a toy store.

These posts are weird because you call for him to fight for his rights and then call for meek acceptance of what is being down to him.

You want him to be a sheep or a lion?

marrec

Banned
If I'm flying for business you're going to have to pay me a lot more than 800 dollars to miss a day of work :lmao

Over here in Holland you get a set amount and I think those are EU wide rules. Maybe it's different when you make it an actual lawsuit, but in most cases you'd just get the compensation and new tickets. I have never heard of compensation for lost time on work. If that is the case, then I have missed out on some money multiple times. And people I know that travel a lot and got cancelled also never told me about this.

You need to open a lawsuit of course.

Not advocating for United (Scumbags), but if I was the guy in charge of the situation, I would have spoken to the Doctor, heard he had patients and picked another number at random.

Still might not have avoided the situation, but it would certainly have been less of a cluster fuck.

That's how you start riots. Saying some people are more important than others. Then everyone will just say they are a doctor cause they don't want to get off the plane. People turned down $800 already, they obviously really want to get where they are going.

In theory that works, but if the employees are needed to operate another flight then you are making the choice to prioritize 4 customers over hundreds. The solution obviously is don't overbook flights but you can see the prioritization.

Sure, from a load balancing perspective. But there is nothing in the law that prevents United from making bigger offers to customers to opt out of the flight. At some point somebody is going to take the deal.

(They won't because they feel it's a slippery slope that will hurt all of their future income, but still...Now instead of losing say, another $1000 to boot a passenger they get tons of bad press and possibly a lawsuit)

So the only thing I could think of, due to the proximity of the cities.

I take it there was no flight from Chicago to Cincinnati? If there was, and there were open seats they could've made the employees who needed to get to Louisville on that plane, and have a rental car waiting and then 90 minutes later they would be in Louisville.

hbkdx12

he refused to leave when asked..repeatedly,which is within their rights to do for any reason.
He did EVERYTHING wrong

The fuck am i reading?

Not even accounting for the over aggressive use of force, none of these passengers could be wrong for denying getting off given that UA shot themselves in the foot from the jump by trying to incentivize voluntary behavior. Without even saying as much, by asking for "volunteers" they've basically nullified the importance of their situation so they can't be mad when people don't decide to comply

They would have been much better off if they just picked 4 people and then explained the situation to them and tell them they'll be compensated accordingly.

Don't give people the allusion of choice and then get mad when they don't adhere to the choice you want made.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
The problem he faces with any potential civil litigation is that the Contract of Carriage he agreed to when purchasing the ticket allows for the airline to remove anyone from the flight for pretty much any reason, and has defined compensation scales.

I was just reading it, and boy is it a fucking nightmare for consumers. That said, I did learn that I could bring mini bottles of liquor in my carry-on. :)

Also, I think you can ask for a check instead of a voucher as compensation with United.

That's a pretty brutal TOS, but I'm sure that lawyers will find ways to dance around that.

Matt

Only in german and im on mobile now otherwise i could look for cases from my commentary:

http://www.reiserecht-portal.de/luftbefoerderungsvertrag/urteileflugreise.php

Besides that you have the normal civil law compensation according to 280ff. BGB.
That seems to just be the same thing I said, you have guaranteed compensation in the event of overbooking (which is the same as it is in the US). It doesn't seem to say anything about a right to additional damages.

Sure, from a load balancing perspective. But there is nothing in the law that prevents United from making bigger offers to customers to opt out of the flight. At some point somebody is going to take the deal.

(They won't because they feel it's a slippery slope that will hurt all of their future income, but still...Now instead of losing say, another $1000 to boot a passenger they get tons of bad press and possibly a lawsuit)

Right, obviously their corporate geniuses decided that $800 was the profitability cut off for flight vouchers.

what POS, can he do something about it? i hope they get fucked out of millions of dollars.

Not likely at all. Asking him to leave the plane was well within their legal rights. When he refused they called security (not United affiliated) and as I understand it were actual police officers. He fought with them and got fucked up. So he has no legal ground against United and he fought with police officers. Where is the money coming from?

This is crazy. If this is the whole story then I hope he sues for millions and gets it. What a bunch of idiots.

And then United apologizes for the overbook situation? That's what they apologize for?! I'd take that as a middle finger if I were that doctor.

Paltheos

It's a tough situation. I want to believe that for a big company like this, they collect metadata on how much they can overbook particular flights at particular times to safely avoid this situation because needing to transport staff is probably a regular issue they have to deal with. Even in that situation though, there's not much they can do, other than maybe have the employees stand? But where? Needing 4 seats sounds like... a particularly bad disaster. I kinda feel for them, but forcibly ejecting a passenger from the plane? How did they arrive on that as a necessary, next step? I'm guessing they couldn't get anyone else to cover a shift at the destination? Or maybe they have contractual obligations to fill for the staff? Something this extreme... they must have known there'd be blowback for this.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
what if we all paid a $10 cover to enter a club. The club realizes it was over capacity and randomly choses a person to leave. The randomly chosen person gets at least their money back. After asking this person multiple times to leave, is it not their right to remove them by force?

Is it a shitty situation? Sure. Life is shitty sometimes.

ultron87

It is weird that they stopped at offering 800, since if they pick someone randomly and force them to get off there are laws that say how much that person gets. Since this sounds like it was an overnight thing it'd be 1300 dollars and a new flight.

kmag

The reason they didn't go above $800 is that's the federally mandated compensation for removing an overbooked passenger without their permission*. Now while you'd think it's common sense to try sweetening the pot to avoid the brouhaha, I imagine most airlines think once you're at the $800 you may as well just 'randomly' select.

*yes anything under that is just them trying it on basically.

Edit: actually I think the maximum has went up to about $1350 (or 4 times the ticket price which ever is lower)

The people defending this sort of action is why customer service is and always will be completely trash in America. Someone will excuse any kind of awful behavior.

It is weird that they stopped at offering 800, since if they pick someone randomly and force them to get off there are laws that say how much that person gets. Since this sounds like it was an overnight thing it'd be 1300 dollars and a new flight.

If they forced him to stay overnight he'd get a hotel plus meals in addition to the $800 and the seat on the new flight.

Forearms

Well you see as owner of the plane they have the legal authority to make a customer eat an armrest at any time

Of course! That's just good customer service.

If they forced him to stay overnight he'd get a hotel plus meals in addition to the $800 and the seat on the new flight.

You'd think they could try to offer the deal to someone else once he had identified himself as a doctor that needed to be in his clinic the next day...

flkraven

So when do you stop raising the offer? What if no one accepts? You give a reasonable offer, no one accepts, you make it random with the same compensation.

And it isn't really relevant what his circumstances are. What if the other passengers had dying family, or the biggest interview of their life? If you're doing a random choice, you can't take that into account. But yeah, you're certainly right he's "getting paid" whether he meant for the outrage to enable that or not is anyone's guess.

They shouldn't stop raising the offer. It's their own fuck up. If their cross/benefit analysis includes for the fact that sometimes they need to 'pay off' people on over booked flights, then it shouldn't be capped at $800. One of the variables shouldn't be 'Well we can just knock them out and drag them forcibly off the plane'.

The benefit of overbooking is that flights are always packed full, but it has to come with a disadvantage to the airline too. They should have a better answer for 'Well, what if they don't accept $800'.

Not likely at all. Asking him to leave the plane was well within their legal rights. When he refused they called security (not United affiliated) and as I understand it were actual police officers. He fought with them and got fucked up. So he has no legal ground against United and he fought with police officers. Where is the money coming from?

Do your research before you post this nonsense.

CREMSteve

TIL that this just a US thing. I just assumed it was a general airplane thing.
This isn't a US thing. I'm in Canada and fly almost every day. Overbooking is a regular practice here as well. Same scenario, they page prior to boarding and ask for volunteers. Starts at 200 credit, goes to 400 if no one speaks up and goes to 800 after that. I've never seen it go higher. Have also seen free overnight accommodations though.

I've also never seen someone be removed from the flight. What should have happened is the last person to check in is told they no longer have a seat available and they never get on the flight in the first place.

What happens in this video is deplorable and inexcusable.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I kinda feel for them, but forcibly ejecting a passenger from the plane? How did they arrive on that as a necessary, next step?

They view their customers as no more than cattle, that's how they arrived at that step.

they were needed to man another flight.
their attendance on that flight was a requirement not an option
try again

Sounds like United's problem. Maybe they should hire people who are better at these kinds of logistical problems?

Plus, my post was in direct response to a ski lift analogy. Nice try, though.

hbkdx12

what if we all paid a $10 cover to enter a club. The club realizes it was over capacity and randomly choses a person to leave. The randomly chosen person gets at least their money back. After asking this person multiple times to leave, is it not their right to remove them by force?

Is it a shitty situation? Sure. Life is shitty sometimes.

This is a shitty analogy

Well you see as owner of the plane they have the legal authority to make a customer eat an armrest at any time

Jesus Christ I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this

Also, guys, their policies/contract of carriage/etc mean jack diddly in the court of public opinion, where it looks like they bounced a dude's head off an armrest because they fucked up so take your Lawful Neutral shit and put it in the bin

Being removed from a flight for not doing anything is always going to get some blowback

ColdPizza

Banned
The reason they didn't go above $800 is that's the federally mandated compensation for removing an overbooked passenger without their permission*. Now while you'd think it's common sense to try sweetening the pot to avoid the brouhaha, I imagine most airlines think once you're at the $800 you may as well just 'randomly' select.

*yes anything under that is just them trying it on basically.

This lady got 11k for her family: https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurab...-to-fly-to-florida-this-weekend/#63e0ed7c4de1

Which is a slippery slope, because once you start trying to negotiate with gate agents to voluntarily leave, if no one else bites, they can just make you get off anyway for the $800.

RPGCrazied

Trump's police? The man bought his ticket. Nobody has to go anywhere. Its nobody's fault that you overbooked but the airlines, maybe get some of the stewards off.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Not sure you understand how the legal system works. It's very, very, very likely that this guy is going to get money out of this.

How else would they know they were actually overbooked without actually having someone in every seat?

You think airlines don't know it's overbooked until they actually get bodies in the seat? Does no one check in? If you have 50 seats, and 52 people check-in the day of for the flight, you're pretty much going to be overbooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom