• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision host fired after making racist Michelle Obama remark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Univision fires TV host over racist remarks about Michelle Obama
ap_tv-univision-michelle_obama_71539536.jpg

Univision fired Emmy-award winning Spanish-language television personality Rodner Figueroa after he said that First Lady Michelle Obama looked as if she were a member of the cast of the Hollywood film Planet of the Apes.

Figueroa, who’s known for his biting fashion commentary, made his remarks Wednesday during a live segment of the show El Gordo y la Flaca in which the hosts were commenting on a viral video that shows a makeup artist transforming himself into different celebrities, including Michelle Obama.

“Well, watch out, you know that Michelle Obama looks like she’s from the cast of Planet of the Apes, the movie,” Figueroa, 42, said with a giggle.

When hostess Lili Estefan countered with “What are you saying?” and host Raul de Molina said Obama was very attractive, Figueroa defended his remark, saying “but it is true.”

Figueroa apologized Thursday in an open letter to Obama posted online Thursday.

In the letter, the TV star said his comments were directed at the makeup artist, not Obama’s looks. He apologized for the offensive comments and took responsibility for a failure in judgment, but said that he is not racist.

“I come from a bi-racial Latino family with family members, like my father, who are Afro-Latino. I am the first openly gay Hispanic TV presenter and am an activist for minorities who, like me, have been discriminated against,” he said, adding that he voted for President Barack Obama, who he believes respects minorities.

He also criticized Univision for the manner in which he was fired. Figueroa said he was notified verbally of his termination and “due to an information leak from Univision’s executives, I am being condemned on social media sites trying to destroy my career in an unjust manner, without written notice and without an investigation to clear up the situation.”

Cipherr

I love it when someone gives these assholes an out, and they are too ignorant to take it, and instead double down. "But its true!"
KuGsj.gif

He's actually said quite a few bad things about a whole load of people before, specially on his sunday night show, but this one really took the cake.

It's remarkable how hostile people are to Michelle just because she's married to Obummer.
And being black doesn't help.

She's awesome I don't get why people have to be so childish.

When hostess Lili Estefan countered with “What are you saying?” and host Raul de Molina said Obama was very attractive, Figueroa defended his remark, saying “but it is true.”
SS7MvlJ.gif

they tried to save you breh

Dabanton

Figueroa apologized Thursday in an open letter to Obama posted online Thursday.

In the letter, the TV star said his comments were directed at the makeup artist, not Obama’s looks. He apologized for the offensive comments and took responsibility for a failure in judgment, but said that he is not racist.

Is there nothing more disgusting and aggravating than someone 'apologising' after getting caught being an idiot. It always feels so fake and disingenuous .

rtcn63

He should've just followed up with "Well, I mean, some of my best friends were people brutalized by Tim Burton."

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The amount vitriol and disdain that dark skin seems to illicit from people is amazing. These are human beings (that also happen to be the First Lady and President of the United States). All because of a little melanin.

What did we do to piss everyone off so much?

newsguy

Crazy. The first Spanish language gig I ever worked on was for Univision. I was working with him on the red carpet doing fashion interviews. After years in the Spanish language market I can confidently say that racism is far more accepted and it sucks.

RibMan

Rodner Figueroa said:
I am being condemned on social media sites trying to destroy my career in an unjust manner, without written notice and without an investigation to clear up the situation

Actually, you destroyed your own career by comparing the First-Lady of the United States to an ape. That's the kind of remark that stays on your resume for the rest of your life.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It still confuses me how people really think she looks like some kind of monkey. She's attractive to me.

HUELEN10

Before even clicking on this, I just knew it was gonna involve Dr. Zira or Planet Of The Apes, I fucking knew it. Living in Orlando, it's unfortunately something you do hear out and about fairly often. I can't believe he said it, and doubled down on it.

JDSN

Banned
Fuck this dude for playing the "Im a minority too!" card to try to gain sympathy, an embarrassment to all latinos.

No, its pretty clear from the video that he is talking about the first lady.

Yeah. I just saw this on twitter. Was kind of out of the loop yesterday.

We don't care that you're gay or that you have afro-latino family members. What you said is bullshit and racist, and you knew exactly what you said when you said it and even more when you gleefully doubled down.

Enjoy unemployment.

The amount vitriol and disdain that dark skin seems to illicit from people is amazing. These are human beings (that also happen to be the First Lady and President of the United States). All because of a little melanin.

What did we do to piss everyone off so much?

We're uncivilized and can never evolve to the level which lighter skin-white people are.

Something like that

Fuck this dude for playing the "Im a minority too!" card to try to gain sympathy, an embarrassment to all latinos.

Fuck him indeed. I was reading the article and as soon as I got to the I'm a minority too I just busted out laughing. Does he really think that absolves him of the nonsense that he said?

Trying to garner sympathy for himself after saying that is just stupid on his part. Seems like the other co hosts gave him an out to backtrack on his comment but nope he decided to double down instead.

Toxi

Banned
At first I thought he was just joking about a botched make-up job. Then I saw his next comment. Fuck him.

Leynos

Whenever Rodner shaves off his stubble he looks like the TV stereotype of a rapist or serial killer...especially when he smiles.

Thumbs up!

He looks like a gremlin.

Oh shit, and here I was about to mention that (apart from the hair) this guy looks just like my doppelganger. I am seriously creeped out how much we look alike. Maybe I should have gone to be a TV presenter in Spanish media.

bengraven

Did anyone actually attack the Bush family, other than calling George W. mentally handicapped? Even when Jenna was basically flipping off cameras or doing Jello shots --- you know, actual bad behavior that the Obama kids don't do ---- I didn't see a ton of liberal people out there calling them any names. Even late night hosts said they don't go after the president's families. But this shit from the right is really getting embarrassing. Further proof that liberals are not assholes I guess.

Edit; god, what a knee jerk post but I'm not deleting it because I'm still angry.

Did anyone actually attack the Bush family, other than calling George W. mentally handicapped? Even when Jenna was basically flipping off cameras or doing Jello shots --- you know, actual bad behavior that the Obama kids don't do ---- I didn't see a ton of liberal people out there calling them any names. Even late night hosts said they don't go after the president's families. But this shit from the right is really getting embarrassing. Further proof that liberals are not assholes I guess.

Edit; god, what a knee jerk post but I'm not deleting it because I'm still angry.

Bush got compared to a monkey quite often, yeah.

Derpyduck

Banned

They basically just called Bush an idiot and a Cheney lackey. The family, including Laura who once killed someone, were off limits. Compare that to the treatment Chelsea Clinton got (as a fucking child) by the Right. It's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom