• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision host fired after making racist Michelle Obama remark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like that when something like this happens, they play the "I come from minorities too" card staright away as if that suddenly justifies saying dumb shit like that.

This guy was a huge asshole anyway, and the dude gets away with a lot of shitty comments. I never understood the fashion police stuff that goes on in these programs, people can dress however the fuck they want. Then again I never understood this obsession with fashion stuff.

Enzom21

It still confuses me how people really think she looks like some kind of monkey. She's attractive to me.

She's black, that's all some people need.

“I come from a bi-racial Latino family with family members, like my father, who are Afro-Latino. I am the first openly gay Hispanic TV presenter and am an activist for minorities who, like me, have been discriminated against,” he said, adding that he voted for President Barack Obama, who he believes respects minorities.

He also criticized Univision for the manner in which he was fired. Figueroa said he was notified verbally of his termination and “due to an information leak from Univision’s executives, I am being condemned on social media sites trying to destroy my career in an unjust manner, without written notice and without an investigation to clear up the situation.”

"I'm a minority too" "I shouldn't have to face consequences for my actions."

Did anyone actually attack the Bush family, other than calling George W. mentally handicapped? Even when Jenna was basically flipping off cameras or doing Jello shots --- you know, actual bad behavior that the Obama kids don't do ---- I didn't see a ton of liberal people out there calling them any names. Even late night hosts said they don't go after the president's families. But this shit from the right is really getting embarrassing. Further proof that liberals are not assholes I guess.

Edit; god, what a knee jerk post but I'm not deleting it because I'm still angry.

I recall the President getting a fair bit of grief. The difference of course is that insults against Mr. Bush were not racial in nature.

Why do you suppose that is?

studyguy

lol el solo se puso su propia soga al cuello y se boto solo... Who says that shit? For real.

Also there's no I'm a minority too angle to play on this shit. Dude is straight trash and nothing but, the less people like that on television the better.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I come from a bi-racial Latino family with family members, like my father, who are Afro-Latino. I am the first openly gay Hispanic TV presenter and am an activist for minorities who, like me, have been discriminated against
Being any or all of those things does not stop one from also being a racist. So jog on, buddy.

He said his comment was taken out of context, which is total bs. I heard recorded audio and it was clear what wanted to say. Glad he got fired.

wwe111.png

JDSN

Banned
"I'm a minority too" "I shouldn't have to face consequences for my actions."

Dude even went for that Double Minority +20DEF bonus by reminding people that he is gay.

Not only that, the first openly gay hispanic presenter? My man Walter Mercado got that shit covered.

riotous

Banned
To play devil's advocate on the "the left doesn't attack a President's family" conversation; I recall quite a few ageist jokes about Barbara Bush back in the day.

To play devil's advocate on the "the left doesn't attack a President's family" conversation; I recall quite a few ageist jokes about Barbara Bush back in the day.

Everyone attacks everyone. Chelsea Clinton was blasted with those braces as a young girl even. This is just new because race was never a point of attack for past Presidents.

Bodacious

Banned
When hostess Lili Estefan countered with “What are you saying?” and host Raul de Molina said Obama was very attractive, Figueroa defended his remark, saying “but it is true.”

?

I mean, fuck the racist shit coming out of that dude's mouth. And fuck him for trying to walk it back too - there's no coming back from a reference like that. But I can't get on the 'very attractive' train either. I've always though she bears a strong resemblance to Aunt Esther from Sanford & Son.

Leunam

I had no idea El Gordo y La Flaca was still on. With the original Gordo and Flaca as well, it seems.

Dude should have taken the hint and walked his comments back then shut his face.

?

I mean, fuck the racist shit coming out of that dude's mouth. But I can't get on the 'very attractive' train either. I've always though she bears a strong resemblance to Aunt Esther from Sanford & Son.

I'm glad you weighed in on the matter.

Are you friends with Kid Rock, by chance?

Derpyduck

Banned
?

I mean, fuck the racist shit coming out of that dude's mouth. And fuck him for trying to walk it back too - there's no coming back from a reference like that. But I can't get on the 'very attractive' train either. I've always though she bears a strong resemblance to Aunt Esther from Sanford & Son.

Strong resemblance? Not even close.

68647ca62d969ebed7328670341b71e7.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Dude even went for that Double Minority +20DEF bonus by reminding people that he is gay.

Not only that, the first openly gay hispanic presenter? My man Walter Mercado got that shit covered.
He also used the "I voted for Obama" defense.....

I am the first presenter on Hispanic TV that is openly gay and I am an activist for causes that favor minorities, that have been discriminated against just like me. I openly voted twice for your husband Barack Obama, because I consider him a great man that respects minorities, like me, in this country.

That's also in his "apology" letter.

Although the comment was unpleasant and out of line I do not deserved being called a racist and I have to defend myself for respect and love to my family, my father, my fans and my community.

I was notified verbally that due to a complaint from your office I was fired. An information leak from Univision executives, I was condemend in social media, trying to destroy my career in an unfair manner, without letting me know personally and without an investigation that would allow to clear up the situation.

Again, I offer my humble forgiveness for the misinterpreation and I assume the responsibility.

Yours respectfully, Rodner Figueroa

Bodacious

Banned
I'm glad you weighed in on the matter.

Are you friends with Kid Rock, by chance?

No, why did he say that? I think most people old enough to have grown up watching that show can see the resemblance at times. So what. I can only think of a few 'first ladies' in history that were even borderline attractive (Jackie Kennedy is actually the only one I can think of at this moment).

No, why did he say that? I think most people old enough to have grown up watching that show can see the resemblance at times. So what. I can only think of a few 'first ladies' in history that were even borderline attractive (Jackie Kennedy is actually the only one I can think of at this moment).

Kid Rock said that he doesn't understand the Byonce love because her songs suck and he doesn't find her attractive because she's not blonde with big boobs.

Caronte

Oh wow I knew he was gay just by the photo, I never get these things right.

The excuse he gives is stupid. It's like when I call out someone for making a homophobic comment and then they say "but I have gay friends so I'm not homophobic".

What a stupid name for a show by the way.

Bodacious

Banned
Kid Rock said that he doesn't understand the Byonce love because her songs suck and he doesn't find her attractive because she's not blonde with big boobs.

Jesus. Never heard that before - one more reason I can dislike Kid Rock. Also whatever, Chie. You want to think I said the same, go ahead.

Jesus. Never heard that before - one more reason I can dislike Kid Rock. Also whatever, Chie. You want to think I said the same, go ahead.

My point was that it was an out of left field snipe that doesn't have anything to do with the original conversation. I'm not sure why you felt the need to not only comment on her lack of attractiveness to you, you also went out of your way to compare her to a fictional character that she bears no resemblance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom