• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision host fired after making racist Michelle Obama remark

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Ain't it, tho?

Not really, considering the OP has a quote calling her very attractive, so it's hardly out of the blue if people comment on that.

Whether you think she's attractive or not has nothing to do with being racist anyway. It's just the comparison to a monkey that doesn't fly.

Bear

I don't find her or her personality or her views attractive. But having him fired for saying she looks like:

this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8YEnqF3keEw/TvaGi0lJJlI/AAAAAAAAAaI/wt8PpXWxpJk/s320/rise+of+the+planet+of+the+apes2.jpg [IMG]

this
[IMG]http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/PLANET_APES_SE_DISC1_169-11.jpg [IMG]

or this
[IMG]http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/Film/The%20Series%20Project/Planet%20of%20the%20Apes/Apes%20Part%202/Apes_6_Warren.jpg [IMG]

is terribly unfair.[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on, you know that's not what he was referring to. When someone wants to say that a woman looks like a Hollywood actress, he would never say that "she looks like she’s from the cast of Planet of the Apes". Every movie in existence has attractive women, he specifically chose the one about monkeys.

You could make a legitimate argument that he still shouldn't be fired but framing it like that is disingenuous.

Oscar

Which Planet of the Apes? Just sayin cuz I've done worse than:

Planet-of-theA.jpg
wTKA8al.gif

acrid

Banned
Oh, come on, you know that's not what he was referring to. When someone wants to say that a woman looks like a Hollywood actress, he would never say that "she looks like she’s from the cast of Planet of the Apes". Every movie in existence has attractive women, he specifically chose the one about monkeys.

You could make a legitimate argument that he still shouldn't be fired but framing it like that is disingenuous.

But he never said she looked like an ape woman (which she doesn't). Everyone jumped to conclusions and his firing was a knee jerk reaction. I have no clue who the guy is and couldn't give 3 shits about his show. That said, if he was referring to an ape, I think a suspension without pay and apology would be appropriate.

riotous

Banned
LOL.. for the record my post about assuming he wasn't referring to human characters was sarcastic.

acrid appears to be serious.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
But he never said she looked like an ape woman (which she doesn't). Everyone jumped to conclusions and his firing was a knee jerk reaction. I have no clue who the guy is and couldn't give 3 shits about his show. That said, if he was referring to an ape, I think a suspension without pay and apology would be appropriate.
Now you're just being willfully obtuse. What would be the point of bring up the movie at all if it weren't to draw a negative comparison?

"Jumped to conclusions"? Are you being serious right now?

maybe it was less... offensive in spanish, but I guess not if the other person was like 'what?'

Well a lot Latin American countries and media are less harsh on racism than the US. The translation is accurate and of course the comment in any language is out of line. But then again if you watch Spanish television especially these types of talk shows it is not uncommon to see people mention dark skin sandwiched as a derogatory term among other things when describing someone negatively. " I can't believe this nice beautiful girl ended up with this 'ugly black guy'" is something you're likely to hear in a Spanish talk show when referencing interracial couples like Kim and Kanye, Ariana and Big Sean, or even more so back when J Lo and Diddy where a thing.

On topic- I can't believe this guy got thrown like 3 life savers by his female co-star and didn't think to rephrase his statement. She questioned him - "What are you saying" then again "What do you mean" and after the other guy said she was attractive, she asked again "Are you referring to her facial expression." This guy dug his own grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom