• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unknown 9: Awakening – Gameplay Walkthrough with Dev Commentary

MujkicHaris

Lost me at 0:32. When will these devs learn? Games that present X-ray vision as an ability or a gameplay feature are not fun. "Picking ability"? Stop with the nonsense and laziness.

Last edited:

anthony2690

I really liked the look of this when it was initially revealed.

But it looks really dull, even the commentator sounds sleepy & the combat looks so poor. :/

Shame as I quite liked the look of the setting from the first trailer too.

HL3.exe

Lost me at 0:32. When will these devs learn? Games that present X-ray vision as an ability or a gameplay feature are not fun. "Picking ability"? Stop with the nonsense and laziness.
Because higher fidelity = less readability of the gameplay space. Lots of tests have proven how easily lost and frustrated players are when the fidelity and art-direction is so dense that its hard to sometimes distinguishes between interactable and non-interactable entities and or it creating navigation problems (the yellow paint thing). A problem that started halfway the 7th gen consoles.

MujkicHaris

Because higher fidelity = less readability of the gameplay space. Lots of tests have proven how easily lost and frustrated players are when the fidelity and art-direction is so dense that its hard to sometimes distinguishes between interactable and non-interactable entities and or it creating navigation problems (the yellow paint thing). A problem that started halfway the 7th gen consoles.
All the things you mentioned as "problems" and I've marked them bold --- that's pretty much a definition of fun and challenge for me. I love all those "problems" and all of them will be a part of my games. Games I play and games I develop.

X-ray vision and UI markers showing the player where to go/distance to the mission progress point, these things need to die. We can do a lot better.

Looks like a mixture of Geist, Second Sight and Psi-Ops in a B-game.

bert-kreischer-lets-do-it.gif

HL3.exe

All the things you mentioned as "problems" and I've marked them bold --- that's pretty much a definition of fun and challenge for me. I love all those "problems" and all of them will be a part of my games. Games I play and games I develop.

X-ray vision and UI markers showing the player where to go/distance to the mission progress point, these things need to die. We can do a lot better.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. But the majority doesn't.

I mean, I'm a big Hunt Showdown fan. High fidelity and basically pixel hunting if someone moves in highly detailed swamp with any help.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Watched the whole thing just now.

You know what this game reminds me of? Those PS3/X360 (and even PS2 tbh) era B level games the devs of which tried to do something cool and different when it comes to what you do in the game, how combat works and all that, but they lacked the budget needed to make it high quality, super polished and refined, so what we ended up getting was mishmash of different ideas (some better than others) and not so great game overall.

Like, I appreciate the world they've built and it looks good (even though not technically impressive), but I just don't think that I'll like the combat part of the game at all and it will get old pretty fast. They need to make a playable demo for people to try the game before launch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
New trailer

Reflector Entertainment is fully owned by Bandai Namco. I don't think the Japanese HQ will want to continue with this Montreal studio if this sells just a couple of thousand copies in the end.

MayauMiao

Another disaster brought to you by SBI:

She even did the flying punch and taking out guys with guns with her bare fist like Star Wars Outlaws.

Top Bottom