• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think writing awards should be for whole seasons. Single episodes doesn't make sense anymore, seems like a left over from when basically every show had contained weekly storylines and the persistent stories were just a few minutes at the start and end of episodes.

Doesn't matter. If individual episodes with individual directors get nominated and awarded as such to acknowledge the contribution of that director, why wouldn't individual episodes with individual writers get nominated and awarded as such to acknowledge the contribution of that writer?

It if less about show format and more about recognizing individuals working on a show.

PR from HBO. Confirms Summer 2017 start date, directors, and 7 episodes for S7:
HBO said:
The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series GAME OF THRONES will begin shooting its next season later this summer, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO programming. Production of the seven-episode seventh season will be based in Northern Ireland, while additional portions will be filmed in Spain and Iceland, with debut slated for summer 2017 on HBO.

“Now that winter has arrived on GAME OF THRONES, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing,” said Bloys. “Instead of the show’s traditional spring debut, we’re moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule.”

Season seven directors will include Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Matt Shakman and Alan Taylor.

Locations for shooting in Spain will include Sevilla, Caceres, Almodovar del Rio, Santiponce, Zumaia and Bermeo.

Last week, GAME OF THRONES received 23 Primetime Emmy® nominations, the most of any nominee for the third year in a row. This year’s nominations include Outstanding Drama Series, 2 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington), 3 for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams), Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Max von Sydow), 2 for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Miguel Sapochnik, Jack Bender) and Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss).

Season seven credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin and Bryan Cogman; producers, Chris Newman, Greg Spence and Lisa McAtackney.

More PR from HBO:

- Digital Platforms Drive HBOs Spring Shows to Series Highs
July 18, 2016 — This past spring, HBO’s digital platforms (HBO On Demand, HBO GO and HBO NOW) helped drive the network’s series — GAME OF THRONES, SILICON VALLEY, VEEP and LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER — to record viewing levels. REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER is also enjoying its largest audience since its debut 13 years ago.

“These record audiences reflect the options we have built into our business model over the last few years. Combining the convenience of HBO On Demand and HBO GO with the subscription flexibility of HBO NOW, our programming is being exposed to an ever growing audience,” said Richard Plepler, Chairman & CEO, HBO.

GAME OF THRONES highly anticipated sixth season conquered all previous seasons with episodes averaging 25.1 million viewers to-date (linear Plays + DVR + HBO On Demand + HBO GO/HBO NOW). That’s approximately five million viewers more when compared to last year’s average (20.2 million). Viewing on HBO’s Digital Platforms comprise almost 40% of season six total viewing, with HBO GO and HBO NOW up a combined 91% vs. last season. Overall, GAME OF THRONES continued its reign as the most watched HBO series on record.

Game of Thrones panel is going on right now at Comic Con. Of interest off of Twitter:
D.B. nods when moderator asks if @MigSapochnik will be back for S8 to direct. #GameOfThrones #ComicCon
Should be some full reports later once the panel is over.

BossRush

Just finished marathoning the entire show in about a month and a half last night with my friends. Feels good to finally be able to look up stuff.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Game of Thrones panel is going on right now at Comic Con. Of interest off of Twitter:Should be some full reports later once the panel is over.
They should just have him direct the entire last season. Get the best writers available and whomever else. Everyone is going to want the remains of this cake. Spend the budget on making the final two seasons the best they can, and not just focus on crazy spectacles.

Black_Sun

"Sansa didn't tell Jon because she wanted all the credit and it was a more dramatic moment when they all showed up." -Sophie Turner

Sophie Turner had a pretty surprising answer when she was asked if Sansa Stark felt her brother, Jon Snow, was worthy of ruling the North. “I’m not sure [Sansa] believes Jon is capable of running Winterfell and the north,” she said, “He doesn’t have the intellect, knowledge or experience that she has and I concur.”

Ugh

Lothar

Banned
"Sansa didn't tell Jon because she wanted all the credit and it was a more dramatic moment when they all showed up." -Sophie Turner

Sophie Turner had a pretty surprising answer when she was asked if Sansa Stark felt her brother, Jon Snow, was worthy of ruling the North. “I’m not sure [Sansa] believes Jon is capable of running Winterfell and the north,” she said, “He doesn’t have the intellect, knowledge or experience that she has and I concur.”
Ugh

Since when does Sansa have any intellect at all? Just the first quoted sentence shows she has the mind of a small child.

It also shows that she's pretty much a villain now. I used to really like Sansa too.

Well that quote doesn't bode well for next season... unnecessary, forced soap drama it feels like.

The actors haven't received scripts yet, it's just Sophie giving her two cents, who doesn't write on the show.

This has happened for years with the actors in press, it's not new.

Paganmoon

The actors haven't received scripts yet, it's just Sophie giving her two cents, who doesn't write on the show.

This has happened for years with the actors in press, it's not new.

The first quote sounded like something she got from the script though:

"Sansa didn't tell Jon because she wanted all the credit and it was a more dramatic moment when they all showed up."

Haven't seen the panel, so context could change that I suppose.

Moff

I am not saying anything, I'm just saying something's up. Look at Sansa's and Littlefinger's body language, and I know body language. Something is happening there, there's something going on. Someone should definitely look into that.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So Sansa let 100's of North men die as well as her little brother because she wanted all the credit and some drama? What?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Since when does Sansa have any intellect at all? Just the first quoted sentence shows she has the mind of a small child.

It also shows that she's pretty much a villain now. I used to really like Sansa too.

Sansa has ruling experience but the Lord Commander of the Night's doesn't!?
Sansa is Cersei JR. And like Cersei, she thinks she's way more competent than she is.

From Reddit:

xz60VxJ.png

Tourney at Harrenhal confirmed

What Sophie Turner is saying sounds like what a lot of actors are told. "This whole episode hinges on you. You're coming to save the day. That other guy, the one everyone thinks is the hero? Loser. Head up his ass. For this take, I want you to give him a look, like you know he fucked up, and he knows you know, but you're going to let it slide for now. Okay?"

To clarify my view, I don't think there's nothing there. Littlefinger has no interest in Jon being in power, and he'll surely be an issue. Sansa also clearly harbored some hesitations to fully trust Jon and it's within reason to think she's a little salty that Jon gets all the credit.

That said, I do not think at all we are going down a "Sansa becomes a villain" route. There is an underlying through-line of the Starks the Lannisters families in the series about one family falling to fighting each other and the other that very likely wont. It's a product of their parents and their upbringing, and is presumingly one of the main reasons the Stark family will endure the series and the Lannister family will likely not be intact/already isn't.

This Sansa vs Jon thing is a massive red herring, mark my words.

They're going to use it to give Sansa something to do in Winterfell when Jon goes off to fight the WWs, but it's just going to end with Littlefinger stretching himself too far and Sansa will put him down.

Turin

Banned
Sansa's not betraying Jon.

Baelish is going to stir shit up in the north one way or another.

This'll also be Jon's last chance to be more than just Ned 2.0. He's gotten enough get out of jail free cards.

BossRush

Gotta say, I looked at most of the book to tv show changes and I don't mind a lot of them...aside from stuff having to do with Dorne and the brotherhood.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished watching season 6. Man I'm so glad GRRM got shoved aside and we're now back in action. All this Robb Stark is the one, lol no Renly is the one, lol no Stannis is the one, lol no Jon Snow is the one lol no fuck you Ramsay Bolton is the one lololol, got really old. The last two / three seasons started feeling like bad filler, but finally shit started happening and the Targaryans are on their way. Also good on them that there is finally some girl power vindication, though it perhaps got a bit too on the nose at some point.

And is it me or did the production budget increase tenfold? If not their CGI team deserve all the prizes.

Gigglepoo

All this Robb Stark is the one, lol no Renly is the one, lol no Stannis is the one, lol no Jon Snow is the one lol no fuck you Ramsay Bolton is the one lololol,

As far as the books are concerned, only Stannis and Dany have been "the one" in any meaningful sense. That's true in the show as well (though now Jon is "the one" post-resurrection). Ramsay, Robb, and Renly were never important beyond their immediate army.

TCRS

Banned
just watched episode 2. I don't think I'm going to continue, what a load of horseshit.

but realistically I probably will due to boredom.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
just watched episode 2. I don't think I'm going to continue, what a load of horseshit.

but realistically I probably will due to boredom.
Eh this season is probably one of the best. Sure character arcs are gone, as in any meaningful good twist or story...however it is just spectacular regarding production values and epicness. If I had to rank the seasons it would probably be 4>1>6>3>2>5, so again it is miles better than 5.

Kozak

Banned
As far as the books are concerned, only Stannis and Dany have been "the one" in any meaningful sense. That's true in the show as well (though now Jon is "the one" post-resurrection). Ramsay, Robb, and Renly were never important beyond their immediate army.

Robb and Renly were also "fuck the choice we have, we'll just choose our own one"

Black_Sun

Jon vs Sansa will be an end game book thing, that's why they're forcing their way there in unconvincing fashion. Really it's a spoiler.

I think this is the direction it's going in the books as well before it's resolved. Sansa x Jon, guys. Maybe even Sansa x Jon x Daenerys.

Gigglepoo

A recent Kit Harrington interview shows that what I was arguing all season is true: Jon Snow was just himself when he came back. And that's lame.

"And then I got the scripts, and actually, he comes back as himself, as the Jon that everyone knows. Which at first I found disappointing. But it’s more subtle than that. He has an insight into what lies beyond that very few people in his world do, and that no one in our world does—he knows that there’s no afterlife. Which does quietly drive who he is and what he wants to do."

So, yes, the showrunner did ignore what had happened with Beric earlier in the seasons because who cares about consistency when there are dragons?

A recent Kit Harrington interview shows that what I was arguing all season is true: Jon Snow was just himself when he came back. And that's lame.

"And then I got the scripts, and actually, he comes back as himself, as the Jon that everyone knows. Which at first I found disappointing. But it’s more subtle than that. He has an insight into what lies beyond that very few people in his world do, and that no one in our world does—he knows that there’s no afterlife. Which does quietly drive who he is and what he wants to do."

So, yes, the showrunner did ignore what had happened with Beric earlier in the seasons because who cares about consistency when there are dragons?

The only thing, and I'm not saying they even thought about it this way, is that Beric was killed multiple times and brought back already. Jon only died once and got revived pretty quickly. Still kind of disappointing, Jon just got mopier for a little bit and now seems back to normal.

dabig2

In regards to Jon's resurrection: as we've been finding out time and time again with D&D's adaptation of GoT, "what you see is what you probably get". If you're looking for things deeper than surface level that aren't explicitly told to you by the characters, then you're watching the wrong show.

Lothar

Banned

How does he know there's no afterlife? Why wouldn't he think he just didn't pray to the right God? You were praying to trees Jon; a woman asked a different god to bring you back from the dead and he did. I would trust what she had to say about God and the afterlife.

All of the characters turned atheist feels so out of place, jammed in, and annoying. I say that as an atheist.

Davos should have immediately realized he was wrong when he saw Jon walk out of the room. Davos, Sansa, and Jon should all be Rhillor followers.

Gigglepoo

The only thing, and I'm not saying they even thought about it this way, is that Beric was killed multiple times and brought back already. Jon only died once and got revived pretty quickly. Still kind of disappointing, Jon just got mopier for a little bit and now seems back to normal.

Then that should have meant that Jon was changed a little. He wasn't change. At all. The writing is by far the worst part of this show. It's the only thing on this show that isn't good, in fact. I can only imagine how much the animators, actors, costumers, set designers, etc must be annoyed by the hack writing team.

In regards to Jon's resurrection: as we've been finding out time and time again with D&D's adaptation of GoT, "what you see is what you probably get". If you're looking for things deeper than surface level that aren't explicitly told to you by the characters, then you're watching the wrong show.

Yup! The Arya arguments are so hilarious in hindsight (she was stabbed because she was inexplicably an idiot!). Still, the show explicitly said that coming back to life changes a person. It's a failure of the writers to ignore previous precedents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom