• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Sun

So after watching the season finale, I would like to share some thoughts.

Jaime's AFFC plot was actually pretty much the same in the show, which surprised me(although killing off the blackfish is super annoying), though it ended differently

You on the reefer, son?

There were huge departures here. No confrontation with Lancel, no training night and day with Ilyn Payne(although I guess he did do some of that with Bronn last season), no getting involved with the BwB plot, no trying to deliver justice to the Riverlands, no bonding with his army, no self-questioning himself and no breaking up with Cersei permanently (it doesn't seem like he's breaking up with Cersei at the end of season 6 it's more like he's finally started to get put off by her finally)

The only similar parts was the one chapter with the confrontration between Brynden and Jaime and Jaike and Edmure

jfkgoblue

You on the reefer, son?

There were huge departures here. No confrontation with Lancel, no training night and day with Ilyn Payne(although I guess he did do some of that with Bronn last season), no getting involved with the BwB plot, no trying to deliver justice to the Riverlands, no bonding with his army, no self-questioning himself and no breaking up with Cersei permanently (it doesn't seem like he's breaking up with Cersei at the end of season 6 it's more like he's finally started to get put off by her finally)

The only similar parts was the one chapter with the confrontration between Brynden and Jaime and Jaike and Edmure
Yeah it ended differently with in the books he moves on to other remaining castles and eventually running off with brienne, but the river run plot was the same, and much of your complaints is simply that as a POV character, we get to see Jaime's inner thoughts, which just isn't possible in the medium. Also the show butchered Jaime's redemption story completely

Also the standards for deviation from source material has greatly diminished the past couple of seasons... At least he went to the right place this time around

Turin

Banned
You on the reefer, son?

I think you could argue that was being injected in a different form.

The Blackfish, Brienne and Brynden all address the kind of person Jaime is in their conversations with him. Then he becomes horrified at the way Walder Frey compared himself to Jaime.

I would have preffered they stayed closer to the source material, obviously, but I don't despise the latter part of Jaime's S6 story in retrospect. Late as it is, that look he gives Cersei in the S6 finale was a relief as I've pretty much loathed most of what they've done with him in the past 3 seasons.

Kallor

For y'all looking for something to entertain you while Game of thrones is gone, The Last Kingdom just went up on Netflix today.

Hey folks, we're two weeks past the finale, so both threads are getting moved over to the Community Forum for the off season. Feel free to make new threads in Off Topic for any major news of import (big roles cast, trailers, etc...). When we are one week away from the S7 season premiere, the new OT can go up.

I should've wrote it down when it woke me up but I had a creepy ass dream that Dany made it to Westeros and was doing some speech when she took an arrow to the eye and then it went into a horror movie as she pulled it out along with the eye which was left dangling down and I guess maybe became a White Walker... It was a lot worse than this shitty description.

jfkgoblue

I should've wrote it down when it woke me up but I had a creepy ass dream that Dany made it to Westeros and was doing some speech when she took an arrow to the eye and then it went into a horror movie as she pulled it out along with the eye which was left dangling down and I guess maybe became a White Walker... It was a lot worse than this shitty description.
Don't go giving D&D any ideas!

Lindybeige is pretty nitpicky about a lot of unimportant stuff, though. He's really heavily thumping on a show or movie being authentic to the times it is supposed to represent. He does say that the acting and story are fine. The only reason why you would not watch this show based on Lindybeige's criticism is if you would go frothing at the mouth at anything that isn't 100% authentic to how things really were. In that case, a history documentary would probably be more the thing you're looking for.

Mind you, I haven't watched the show so I can't say anything about it, but while it's interesting to see the opinion of someone who knows stuff about it on the historical accuracy of it, it wouldn't put me off a show. After all, its entertainment value is made up of more than historical accuracy.

Gigglepoo

Preston Jacobs posted his Season 6 review. It's, uh, pretty negative which makes sense considering he focuses more on the plot and character development where Game of Thrones struggles as opposed to directing, acting, set design, or the other ways that GoT is a success.

Preston Jacobs posted his Season 6 review. It's, uh, pretty negative which makes sense considering he focuses more on the plot and character development where Game of Thrones struggles as opposed to directing, acting, set design, or the other ways that GoT is a success.

From the couple videos I've seen of his for the season he comes off just tearing every little thing to shreds. I mean he's not wrong but he just seems kind of bitter.

They did obliterate that ridiculous Tower of Joy Joy Joy nonsense that was his most popular series of videos which I'm thankful for since who the hell knows when TWoW comes out.

NeoGiff

Ok, guys, from here on out I'm on a total blackout until season 7 premieres. I even quit Watchers!

See you on the other side.

Kozak

Banned
phw0qdyzd09x.jpg

based on a survey apparently

Gigglepoo

I'm shocked Jon's resurrection was people's favorite moment. The buildup made no sense (Davos hates black magic!), the scene was cliche 101 (he wakes up just as they leave?), and there was no aftermath (did the northerners even know?). That was one of the low points for me. Guess I have pretty different tastes from the average GoT fan, though that's pretty obvious.

Guys I enjoy lady Mormont as much as the next guy but to say she was the second best character of the season is a bit silly lol

Yeah, second best isn't even close to it, she's obviously the single best.

I'm shocked Jon's resurrection was people's favorite moment. The buildup made no sense (Davos hates black magic!), the scene was cliche 101 (he wakes up just as they leave?), and there was no aftermath (did the northerners even know?). That was one of the low points for me. Guess I have pretty different tastes from the average GoT fan, though that's pretty obvious.

People just loved the fact Jon got his pubes trimmed.

It seems like around half of the "average GoT fans" think Daenerys' name is Khaleesi so...

Mr Git

Ok, guys, from here on out I'm on a total blackout until season 7 premieres. I even quit Watchers!

See you on the other side.

retracingmace.gif

Fare thee well!

I'm still more sad about Summer than Hodor. At least Hodor got a sendoff with screentime.

Agreed. If people really wanted to see Kit Harrington act like a reanimated corpse they could have just watched the first 5 seasons over again.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I honestly would put the best moment as when Cersei destroys the Sept of Baelor. Or when Ramsay dies.

Gigglepoo

I honestly would put the best moment as when Cersei destroys the Sept of Baelor. Or when Ramsay dies.

The Hodor sequence was my favorite scene of the series so far. I really loved that moment. It's one of the rare times I've been emotionally invested in Game of Thrones.

WaffleTaco

The Hodor sequence was my favorite scene of the series so far. I really loved that moment. It's one of the rare times I've been emotionally invested in Game of Thrones.
I really loved that one too. Such a great season...except character arcs and story plots.

Krogan

I really enjoy this style of review and I mostly agree with him.

Kozak

Banned

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series:

- “Battle of the Bastards” (Miguel Sapochnik)

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series:

- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister)

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series:

- Carice van Houten (Melisandre) / Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister)

If GoT takes out these awards these are who I think would deserve it.

Nikolaj is gonna get robbed by Kit I think and it will be a damn shame.

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series:

- “Battle of the Bastards” (Miguel Sapochnik)

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series:

- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister)

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series:

- Carice van Houten (Melisandre) / Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister)

If GoT takes out these awards these are who I think would deserve it.

Nikolaj is gonna get robbed by Kit I think and it will be a damn shame.

The WiC.net list shows all the submissions and the bolded are the nominees. Nikolaj wasn't nominated.

Watchers has an easier to read list

CassSept

I think Max von Sydow being nominated for guest actor instead of Jonathan Pryce is the most egregious part. He is a terrific actor, but he barely did anything in the series, while Pryce absolutely killed it.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Max von Sydow being nominated for guest actor instead of Jonathan Pryce is the most egregious part. He is a terrific actor, but he barely did anything in the series, while Pryce absolutely killed it.

Jonathan Pryce wasn't a guest actor.

CassSept

Jonathan Pryce wasn't a guest actor.

Oh I didn't realize he was bumped to main cast this year, he was a guest actor back in season 5.

Irregardless, he should have gotten in for supporting over Kit Harrington at least. High Sparrow was the best character of the past two seasons.

Moff

Pryce was great, but he just didn't get much good material to work with. The potential of that character was never reached.

Oh I didn't realize he was bumped to main cast this year, he was a guest actor back in season 5.

Irregardless, he should have gotten in for supporting over Kit Harrington at least. High Sparrow was the best character of the past two seasons.

He was a guest actor on the show, but I don't think he qualified for the guest category by Emmy rules for season 5.

They recently changed them to something like if you appear in more than x% of the episodes in a season (can't remember what the number is), you can't qualify as a guest actor for Emmy consideration. I like to consider it the "Robert Morse rule", who was nominated for 5 Emmys for Mad Men because he was never a part of the main cast.

Azzanadra

I thinks Game of Thrones's success at the academy represents the collective failure of the audience and critics alike in ignoring actual well written shows like Hannibal last year, which didn't even get nominated for 2015. I thought the Emmy's were improving after failing to give The Wire its due when Mad Men and Breaking Bad started winning awards, but it seems like now we are back at square one.

The saying is often in movies the director is king- while in TV shows, the writer is king. Everything in Game of Thrones is excellent except the writing (the outlier being Season 1), which is why I ponder how the show has managed to break it into the "best drama" category which it will undoubtedly win.

For what its worth, I absolutely agree with the categorical nominations in areas like "best actor/actress", cinematography, directing, music etc.- its just the best writing and best drama ones I shake my head at.

duckroll

The saying is often in movies the director is king- while in TV shows, the writer is king. Everything in Game of Thrones is excellent except the writing (the outlier being Season 1), which is why I ponder how the show has managed to break it into the "best drama" category which it will undoubtedly win.

This... seems like a misunderstanding of what the phrase actually means.

In a film, the director is usually where the buck stops. The top overseer who determines for better or for worse who he or she works with. The writers tailor the script to the director's needs, the production staff are usually brought in by the director.

In television, the showrunner(s), who is also a producer and usually a writer, is where the buck stops. They are the top overseers who determine for better or for worse who they work with. The directors on episodes are hired by the showrunners, and they tailor their directing to the needs to the script and the established tone of the overall series. The production staff are brought in by the showrunners and not the individual directors.

So this has nothing to do with good or bad writing. It means that the writers have more jobs than just writing. If a show is acknowledged to have great production and great direction, even if the writing is iffy, the final credit still goes to the showrunners, not because of the writing, but because they are the main producers of the program.

Azzanadra

This... seems like a misunderstanding of what the phrase actually means.

In a film, the director is usually where the buck stops. The top overseer who determines for better or for worse who he or she works with. The writers tailor the script to the director's needs, the production staff are usually brought in by the director.

In television, the showrunner(s), who is also a producer and usually a writer, is where the buck stops. They are the top overseers who determine for better or for worse who they work with. The directors on episodes are hired by the showrunners, and they tailor their directing to the needs to the script and the established tone of the overall series. The production staff are brought in by the showrunners and not the individual directors.

So this has nothing to do with good or bad writing. It means that the writers have more jobs than just writing. If a show is acknowledged to have great production and great direction, even if the writing is iffy, the final credit still goes to the showrunners, not because of the writing, but because they are the main producers of the program.

Well I get what it means, my point was derived from the implication that if director and writer is king in each respective medium, you would expect that one quality to be the best more often than not, whereas that is not the case with GoT. There are many movies with ho-hum writing that, due to the brief nature of movies are elevated by their directing (Shutter Island, Tomorrowland, The Shining) and likewise TV shows carried by the writing in spite of the directing (Game of Thrones S1, The Wire). Of course the opposite is true for each medium, but basically I would think great writing is what is needed to maintain the quality of a TV show. But then again they did get nominated for best writing- so the academy disagrees with me on the fundamental basis I am deriving implication from.

WaffleTaco

I honestly am surprised they went with "Battle of the Bastards" for best writing, when "The Wind's of Winter" was probably better...and you know had a lot more dialogue. The again "bad pussy" won an emmy last year so who the fuck knows.

duckroll

Well I get what it means, my point was derived from the implication that if director and writer is king in each respective medium, you would expect that one quality to be the best more often than not, whereas that is not the case with GoT. There are many movies with ho-hum writing that, due to the brief nature of movies are elevated by their directing (Shutter Island, Tomorrowland, The Shining) and likewise TV shows carried by the writing in spite of the directing (Game of Thrones S1, The Wire). Of course the opposite is true for each medium, but basically I would think great writing is what is needed to maintain the quality of a TV show. But then again they did get nominated for best writing- so the academy disagrees with me on the fundamental basis I am deriving implication from.

I don't think this is entirely true because we have to look at the different ways people tend to approach the respective mediums. Movies are somewhat of a complete singular product. This isn't true of every film of course, but we have seen that for films made in serial form like trilogies or whatnot, the awards tend reward the entire set on the final film if the quality holds up.

For TV shows though, I think what it most important in terms of overall awareness and mindshare is how good they are at hooking people for the ride. Some of that is in writing, some of that is in the style of writing. I would say that honestly, what makes shows blow up both critically and commercially is getting people talking about something. The problem with shows which are consistently well written but somewhat mundane or too grounded, is that it can be great at what it wants to be, but you're not going to get that much of a buzz. Remember that actual award shows tend to be voted on by peers or by press, so buzz is very important.

KahooTs

I think writing awards should be for whole seasons. Single episodes doesn't make sense anymore, seems like a left over from when basically every show had contained weekly storylines and the persistent stories were just a few minutes at the start and end of episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom