• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Eddard - Sean Bean (he did nail this prediction obviously)
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138403&highlight=song+of+ice+fire

Aiii

So not worth it
Has Dany's inability to conceive been mentioned since Mirri Maz Duur cursed her in season one?

It was talked about this season for sure. Maybe with Jon? Can't remember but it was when she was talking about her dragon being her children. I think it was Jon after the petting Drogon scene.

Majmun

It was talked about this season for sure. Maybe with Jon? Can’t remember but it was when she was talking about her dragon being her children. I think it was Jon after the petting Drogon scene.

It was also with Tyrion when talking about a successor, I think.

Moff

she tells Jon in the last scene of the last episode that the dragons are the only children she'll ever have, followed by an understanding look on Jon's face

Gigglepoo

https://youtu.be/yusXGit2Wjs?t=254

You need a better sound system while watching the show.

Yes, I know it happened this episode. I'm asking if it was mentioned at all since season one.

Though Oldest Snake said that part of Mirri's curse was cut? Is that true? Was this the first episode Dany's inability to get pregnant was brought up?

EDIT -- Old Snake is right, Mirri doesn't mention "womb quickens"

https://youtu.be/5E7kPax4eno

One random thing I disliked about the latest episode: Dany saying Jon is too little for her. He's 173 or 174. So am I. Thanks for rubbing it in for all us hobbits and propagating the Hollywood height bias, jerk queen. lol

Moff

One random thing I disliked about the latest episode: Dany saying Jon is too little for her. He's 173 or 174. So am I. Thanks for rubbing it in for all us hobbits and propagating the Hollywood height bias, jerk queen. lol

it's hard to blame her when she spent the past few years in a masculine utopia surrounded by huge muscular barbarians

Gigglepoo

What's all this talk about a womb quickening? I must have completely missed the significance of that or forgotten about it since reading the books

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

But Mirri Maz Duur stops after "blow in the wind like leaves" in the show.

Another new Theon quote from Grmm:

"The character I’m probably most like in real life is Samwell Tarly. Good old Sam. And the character I’d want to be? Well who wouldn’t want to be Jon Snow — the brooding, Byronic, romantic hero whom all the girls love. Theon [Greyjoy] is the one I’d fear becoming. Theon wants to be Jon Snow, but he can’t do it. He keeps making the wrong decisions. He keeps giving into to his own selfish, worst impulses.
In some senses, Theon is struggling all the way through to be a hero. They both come out of the same situation: they’re both raised in Winterfell by Eddard Stark, but they’re not part of the real, core family. Theon is a ward, and Jon Snow is a bastard son. So they’re both a little outside, but Jon handles this successfully, and Theon fails to handle this. He is poisoned by his own envy and his sense of not belonging."

Burt

There's a crude 'fire wight life-giving injection' joke to be made here, but I should probably stay away from speculative jokes for now.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

But Mirri Maz Duur stops after "blow in the wind like leaves" in the show.

That's when Drogo is supposed to return right? I mean with all GRRM's writing I'm sure it's open to interpretation but isn't the whole point of that to say that he would only return if all these things happened and there's no way they're happening?

So why does everyone seem to think she's gonna get knocked up? Some theory or just a gut feeling?

Majmun

Some people can get quite defensive when confronting them about their crush. They try to be dismissive about that person to not get exposed, using the weirdest arguments and excuses.

That's how that scene felt. You see this behaviour a lot irl as well.

Dany is definitely attracted to Jon. No matter his shortcomings. (no pun intended hehe)

TTG

You guys want to do predictions? Let's pick 3 characters and speculate about next week:

The Mountain
Theon Greyjoy
Samwell Tarly

You guys want to do predictions? Let's pick 3 characters and speculate about next week:

The Mountain
Theon Greyjoy
Samwell Tarly

I have a feeling Theon is fading to the background for a bit. Prob wont resolve him till next season.

The Mountain is toast.

Sam is never going to die. Seriously I don't think he'll ever die in the books or show. He has to be the Maester/Scribe who tells the story to future generations

That's when Drogo is supposed to return right? I mean with all GRRM's writing I'm sure it's open to interpretation but isn't the whole point of that to say that he would only return if all these things happened and there's no way they're happening?

So why does everyone seem to think she's gonna get knocked up? Some theory or just a gut feeling?

ADWD. First, Quentyn Martell fulfilling the sun part of the prophecy. And then it's cemented by the final chapter where Dany notes that the grass in the Dothraki Sea is dying (the sea going dry), where she gets her period again and where she keeps thinking about the prophecy, calling the reader's attention to it. Felt like a pretty deliberate hint. Could be a red herring though.

Betty

Banned

The Mountain - Will live to see the next season, but the rivalry with his brother will be shown to keep people hyped for their eventual duel.
Theon Greyjoy - Will probably ask Jon or Daenerys to ask for his sister's return, or go to Kings Landing and offer to take her place instead.
Samwell Tarly - I don't even know how he'll run into Jon, if he does he'll share what he's found and maybe Jon will learn who his parents really are.

It's people mixing book & show evidence to support a theory.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east,

Can refer to Quentyn Martell (book only), whose sigil is a Sun. He leaves from the West (Dorne) and dies in the East (Mereen).

When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Don't know what this refers to, but if I remember there's talk of the Dothraki Sea being overtaken by an invasive, poisonous grass which might be killing it but I'm almost certainly wrong on that.

When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.

This was left out of the show, though it is taken as confirmation (in the books) that she's now unable to have children due to Mirri's spell. This seems to have been confirmed by Dany in the last episode, but from what I remember it's the first time her sterility has been mentioned on the show. At the end of ADWD Dany appears to suffer a miscarriage, which indicates she's once again capable of bearing children, which is why people assume she's pregnant.

Like I said it's all people mixing the book & show prophecies and drawing conclusions from them.

It's people mixing book & show evidence to support a theory.

Can refer to Quentyn Martell (book only), whose sigil is a Sun. He leaves from the West (Dorne) and dies in the East (Mereen).

Don't know what this refers to, but if I remember there's talk of the Dothraki Sea being overtaken by an invasive, poisonous grass which might be killing it but I'm almost certainly wrong on that.

This was left out of the show, though it is taken as confirmation (in the books) that she's now unable to have children due to Mirri's spell. This seems to have been confirmed by Dany in the last episode, but from what I remember it's the first time her sterility has been mentioned on the show. At the end of ADWD Dany appears to suffer a miscarriage, which indicates she's once again capable of bearing children, which is why people assume she's pregnant.

Like I said it's all people mixing the book & show prophecies and drawing conclusions from them.

Everything you listed was from the books? What evidence from the show is mixed in to support this book theory? 🤔

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

The Mountain
Theon Greyjoy
Samwell Tarly

Of these specific 3?

1. He'll stare at people. Will probably stare extra hard at Sandor. Might get brought up about how he came to be this way, what with introducing KL to a living dead man.
2. Isn't that him collapsing on the beach? Makes me feel like something went really wrong with his sister.
3. I can't see him going to KL (doubtful he's in on the wight meeting news) or Castle Black (kind of left to keep Gilly and Little Sam out of immediate harms way). I'd guess Winterfell (Jon's assumed Base of Operation) or Dragonstone (Where I assume he believes was Jon's last known location). My guess is, whenever we see him, is for him to give out important information (even the part he wasn't paying attention about). Unsure if he even knows about his Brother and Father yet.

Burt

I do wonder how much stuff DnD ever heard from GRRM and were just like "nah, no time for that, we gotta keep that titillation factor up".

Like, GRRM specifically said in that fire wight interview that Joe's heart wasn't beating and his blood wasn't flowing, and then Jon outright says that he's breathing when the Suicide Squad assembles. You would think that he wouldn't need to breathe without pumping blood, and that he would be every bit as infertile as Dany is purported to be.

Madness

When you get your back blown out by 6'5" Dothraki warlord, someone barely 5'8" or less from the North just doesn't compare.

Hjod

Banned
I do wonder how much stuff DnD ever heard from GRRM and were just like "nah, no time for that, we gotta keep that titillation factor up".

Like, GRRM specifically said in that fire wight interview that Joe's heart wasn't beating and his blood wasn't flowing, and then Jon outright says that he's breathing when the Suicide Squad assembles. You would think that he wouldn't need to breathe without pumping blood, and that he would be every bit as infertile as Dany is purported to be.

If Jons blood isn't flowing, how is he going to knock up Dany? Houston we have a problem.

In the same episode she revealed she can't get pregnant (right?) and Jorah talked about Jon's future kids.

Yeah they were pretty heavy handed with all the talk of children and heirs (both Jon and Dany) from multiple characters and then her repeating she can't have children to both Tyrion and Jon. Writers are not very subtle and I would very much expect them to conceive an heir next episode.

Pretty excited for the finale, Jon, Dany and the whole crew of GoT. And onwards to the season finale. Despite it's flaws, I've made my peace with it. The show will never top the books books, although there were scenarios in the show that it was pretty good at.

Anyways, can't wait for a Stark and Targaryen union/marriage hopefully it happens in the finale episode.

Turin

Banned
This year, hordes upon hordes of people are writhing in anticipation for an aunt to fuck her nephew and for a solid interpretation of an evil child eating clown demon(guilty as charged on the later).

Gigglepoo

Yeah they were pretty heavy handed with all the talk of children and heirs (both Jon and Dany) from multiple characters and then her repeating she can't have children to both Tyrion and Jon. Writers are not very subtle and I would very much expect them to conceive an heir next episode.

Sounds about right. Set up a problem one episode, solve it the next.

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Eddard - Sean Bean (he did nail this prediction obviously)
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138403&highlight=song+of+ice+fire

A clear sign that not everyone should be a casting agent!

Interesting that the suggestions have a much more American flavour to them as well - I imagine the decision to predominantly cast British and Irish actors is down to the filming locations and the whole "Fantasy = British Isles accents" trope.

I wonder if there will be an exchange of hostages to secure the peace deal. If they just trust Cersei without any enforcement mechanism that would be so stupid. Hostages could make it interesting. Jaime is the obvious choice to go to Dany, but I'm not sure who would go the other way.

Betty

Banned
I wonder if there will be an exchange of hostages to secure the peace deal. If they just trust Cersei without any enforcement mechanism that would be so stupid. Hostages could make it interesting. Jaime is the obvious choice to go to Dany, but I'm not sure who would go the other way.

Jon maybe, I'd wager Tyrion would offer himself, despite the danger he'd be in.

Obviously Daenerys isn't showing up to the meet and greet right? She's in none of the promo's and it's too dangerous for all the major enemies of Cersei together again in one location.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If Jons blood isn't flowing, how is he going to knock up Dany? Houston we have a problem.

Wargs Ghost.

Houston, we have a solution.

thumbs_up_by_darkkraven-d6735mx.jpg

Top Bottom