• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

CassSept

Gigglepoo

It seems no one remembers that Daenaerys mentioned her infertility to Khal Moro in the first episode of season 6, here:
https://youtu.be/Edumk2Y9YI4?t=4m13s

So yes, it has been mentioned in the past and not just in the last episode.

I certainly didn't remember.

It's funny that she completes Murri Maz Duur's prophecy from the book there even though the infertile bit was taken out of the show. So I wonder if a lot of the show watcher confusion came after that episode. It's like the writers tried to sneak it in with no explanation because they knew readers would fill in the blanks.

My biggest grip is the lack of ale, it only appears here and there when it should be everywhere.
Also, wasn't Thoros drinking wine from his wineskin? (I believe rum is the only distilled liquor mentioned in the books, and isn't it only from Dorne?) Yet they're able to pour it on his corpse and set it on fire.

Also, wasn't Thoros drinking wine from his wineskin? (I believe rum is the only distilled liquor mentioned in the books, and isn't it only from Dorne?) Yet they're able to pour it on his corpse and set it on fire.

I think it was said to be rum back in S07E01, when he offered some to The Hound.

Serious question here. Do you feel the show runners focused more on the fantasy elements (magic, dragons, etc) once the show left the books?

I feel the first few seasons were very grounded in strictly politics and drama and we'd see no hint of magic until there's a dragon scene.

I wonder if the books (if they ever come out) will play with fantasy elements as much as the show has.

Burt

Serious question here. Do you feel the show runners focused more on the fantasy elements (magic, dragons, etc) once the show left the books?

I feel the first few seasons were very grounded in strictly politics and drama and we'd see no hint of magic until there's a dragon scene.

I wonder if the books (if they ever come out) will play with fantasy elements as much as the show has.
The books have always had an undercurrent of the reemergence of magic in the world. The rebirth of the dragons being the most notable - and I remember thinking that it wasn't clear whether the dragons brought back magic or magic brought back dragons - but there's a ton of other stuff too like the efficiency of wildfire incantations, red priest resurrections, the actual magic in the House of the Undying vs. it's long held perception, etc.

As best I can remember, serious magic was effectively dead at the start of the series. That might not be totally accurate, especially when it comes to stuff like the Faceless men, but it was at least diminished enough for most people to scoff at the idea of magic in general. It's been ramping up since then, so I would definitely expect the books to keep up that trajectory.

Gigglepoo

I feel like the show uses magic a lot less than the books. In the show, there are dragons, zombies, a few prophecies and not much else.

The books have more prophecies and the characters behind visions (Quaithe, Marwyn, etc), glass candles, warging, fire wraiths, etc. The show made magic like in every other story whereas the books interweave it in everything so you're not quite sure what's real or who's pulling the strings.

It was inevitable the show would have more fantasy toward the end as the white walkers and dragons became more important, but it seems like the show is avoiding most other magic. Just look at Euron or the lack of warging as obvious examples.

jett

D-Member
I feel like the show uses magic a lot less than the books. In the show, there are dragons, zombies, a few prophecies and not much else.

The books have more prophecies and the characters behind visions (Quaithe, Marwyn, etc), glass candles, warging, fire wraiths, etc. The show made magic like in every other story whereas the books interweave it in everything so you're not quite sure what's real or who's pulling the strings.

It was inevitable the show would have more fantasy toward the end as the white walkers and dragons became more important, but it seems like the show is avoiding most other magic. Just look at Euron or the lack of warging as obvious examples.

It was done on purpose to give the show an even more grounded feel compared to the books to attract mainstream audiences. Same can be said about the clothes (as described in the books) and use of color.

It doesn't really matter now, of course, but the show's tone is set.

To be fair, Ciaran Hinds was so wasted on the show. One of the rare casting misfires on the show, he just didn't fit the character at all.

The suggestion of Val Kilmer for Jaime Lannister is one of the most laughable suggestions I've ever heard. Have you guys seen Val Kilmer lately?

Gigglepoo

It was done on purpose to give the show an even more grounded feel compared to the books to attract mainstream audiences. Same can be said about the clothes (as described in the books) and use of color.

It doesn't really matter now, of course, but the show's tone is set.

Yeah, I have a buddy who does not want magic in the show at all and was pissed last season when it became more prominent. Granted, the first scene in season one was ice demons but it really was about the politics for years and years. Pretty big shift now.

100%

Remember the cave with the children of the forrest? Motherfuckers were straight up throwing fireballs at the skeletons (that looked nothing like wights, they were just straight up diablo skeletons).

Also see them pretending the wolves don't exist most of the time.

JakeD

At least he's not fat any more.

I'm pretty sure he was in 09 when that was posted. Id post pics but that seems cruel. I'll just sit here laughing to myself imagining fat 50 year old Val Kilmer playing opposite Lena headey

edit; sorry had to:

YokmJLY.jpg

fa8zitLl.jpg

nailed it

bitbydeath

Anyone else feel like HBO cheaped out on the show?

Vikings which is no where near as popular had a 10 episode season one with a total budget of 40m.

Season 4 is now 20 episodes long and still is no where near as popular, the production values have also gone up a long way since the first season.

Vikings is also very good at battle scenes, something GOT has never been the best at.

Vikings which is no where near as popular had a 10 episode season one with a total budget of 40m.

Season 4 is now 20 episodes long and still is no where near as popular, the production values have also gone up a long way since the first season.

Vikings is also very good at battle scenes, something GOT has never been the best at.
My friend is watching Vikings right now and is saying how good the battles and production is. Kind of amazing that a history channel show has better production values than an HBO one.

Ridesh

Banned

Vikings is also very good at battle scenes, something GOT has never been the best at

the fuck?

Santiako

The main actors alone have probably gotten insanely expensive to keep around already.

Zabka

I think HBO was a bit hesitant to let it all hang out after what happened with Rome. I remember being shocked to find out Camelot was more expensive.

Faddy

Banned
My friend is watching Vikings right now and is saying how good the battles and production is. Kind of amazing that a history channel show has better production values than an HBO one.

Have you seen the battles in Vikings? They are decent and well shot but they lack a lot a style. The production is also noticeably much smaller in scale and easy to spot the shortcuts. There is also a hell of a lot of shaky cam. They are nowhere near Game of Thrones in production or originality.

Here is a selection of Vikings scenes.
https://www.inverse.com/article/11626-ranking-the-7-best-battles-of-vikings

bitbydeath

Have you seen the battles in Vikings? They are decent and well shot but they lack a lot a style. The production is also noticeably much smaller in scale and easy to spot the shortcuts. There is also a hell of a lot of shaky cam. They are nowhere near Game of Thrones in production or originality.

Here is a selection of Vikings scenes.
https://www.inverse.com/article/11626-ranking-the-7-best-battles-of-vikings

Really? What do you think is the best GOT battle scene?

Comparing Vikings to Game of Thrones is apple to oranges. Vikings is depicting in comparison small skirmishes.

Oh and there are no Dragons

Although, I've been most impressed with the Last kingdom and how they've done medieval battles.

Azzanadra

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Eddard - Sean Bean (he did nail this prediction obviously)
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138403&highlight=song+of+ice+fire

I'm surprised that thread made 90 pages, while when I started reading in 2010 I knew ASOIAF was "popular" amongst fantasy nerds, it was Sanderson-levels popular, not mainstream.

bitbydeath

Comparing Vikings to Game of Thrones is apple to oranges. Vikings is depicting in comparison small skirmishes.

Oh and there are no Dragons

Although, I've been most impressed with the Last kingdom and how they've done medieval battles.

My point was Vikings looks to have a far larger budget than GOT yet not the same viewership, hence why HBO are cheaping out.

My point was Vikings looks to have a far larger budget than GOT yet not the same viewership, hence why HBO are cheaping out.
Huh? GoT had a higher budget than Vikings every single season. The first season of GoT was in the 50-60M range and it's only gone up from there. S6 was around 100M.

bitbydeath

Huh? GoT had a higher budget than Vikings every single season. The first season of GoT was in the 50-60M range and it's only gone up from there. S6 was around 100M.

As per my previous post Vikings was 40m first season with 10 episodes and the latest season is 20 episodes and production has gone up a lot.

Even if we low ball it GOT should still get a much larger budget in comparison.

As per my previous post Vikings was 40m first season with 10 episodes and the latest season is 20 episodes and production has gone up a lot.

Even if we low ball it GOT should still get a much larger budget in comparison.

GoT is at least $10M per episode in the last few years, you're saying that Vikings is $4M per episode.

It takes them 3 months to create the dragons.
That costs money. Vikings can't touch the sets and costumes of GOT.

Also, battle of the bastards is better than any viking fight

jfkgoblue

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
Renly - Chris Evans
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

Don't forget Peter Dinklage as Tyrion was also on first page.

Lol "what happens when HBO reaches the fourth book". Even a decade ago book readers were jaded as fuck with Martin.

Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
Renly - Chris Evans
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

On the first page,

What happens when the show gets all the way up to the 4th book, and Martin still hasn't written/released the next one? Because you know that's gonna happen :lol

Ha...ha?

Azzanadra

Don't forget Peter Dinklage as Tyrion was also on first page.

Lol "what happens when HBO reaches the fourth book". Even a decade ago book readers were jaded as fuck with Martin.

The relationship between martin, his writing speed and his fans seems to have been a meme longer than a decade at this point, heck Neil Gaimen even took it upon himself to tell the readers "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch."

Tiktaalik

This is simply because the show is ahead of the books.

The books will pivot more toward the greater battle between man and the Others as it goes along.

The main theme of A Song of Ice and Fire is an anti-war story that stresses that the petty political conflicts between men, the "Game of Thrones", are irrelevant in contrast to the much greater and more significant broad struggles of the small folk.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rewatching the first season and the show was so good then. I remember the biggest complaint being Tyrion's accent. Good times

CloudWolf

I think HBO was a bit hesitant to let it all hang out after what happened with Rome. I remember being shocked to find out Camelot was more expensive.
Iterestingly, it feels like HBO also held back with Rome despite the stories about the insane production budget. I mean, aside from the first episode they straight up skipped every battle.

Top Bottom