• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Volgarth

One random thing I disliked about the latest episode: Dany saying Jon is too little for her. He's 173 or 174. So am I. Thanks for rubbing it in for all us hobbits and propagating the Hollywood height bias, jerk queen. lol

She was talking about his pecker.

pecker-that-smalll.gif

Paganmoon

One random thing I disliked about the latest episode: Dany saying Jon is too little for her. He's 173 or 174. So am I. Thanks for rubbing it in for all us hobbits and propagating the Hollywood height bias, jerk queen. lol

Not sure if you're in jest mode or serious, but I understood the "too little" reference to mean his stature, not his size. Like, he's a bastard from the north. Then again, he is a king.

Cause if it's his size, shouldn't she have said, he's "too small"?

Zousi

Night King... quite a chatty fellow isn't he. Oh the stories he's told us. Always babbling about his troubled past and techniques about javelin throwing. For once he should just shut up and take a break.

SteveWD40

If you're ever bored, go back and read the original thread from 2007 when this show was first announced.

Some of the casting suggestions even on the very first page are completely silly. For instance:

Eddard - Sean Bean (he did nail this prediction obviously)
Catelyn - Kate Walsh (Addison on Grey's Anatomy)
Cersei - Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet on Lost)
Jaime - Val Kilmer
Tywin - Clancy Brown
Robert - John Goodman
Dany - Kristen Bell
Littlefinger - Robert Knepper (Teabag on Prison Break)
The Hound - Adam Baldwin
The Mountain - The Big Show
Renly - Chris Evans
Margery - Michelle Trachtenberg
Theon - Jason Dohring (Logan on Veronica Mars)
Balon - Christopher Lee
Doran - Cirian Hinds

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138403&highlight=song+of+ice+fire

Jesus, the accents would have been atrocious.

A clear sign that not everyone should be a casting agent!

Interesting that the suggestions have a much more American flavour to them as well - I imagine the decision to predominantly cast British and Irish actors is down to the filming locations and the whole "Fantasy = British Isles accents" trope.

While Dorne is clearly Spain, Westeros is based on the British Isles.

SteveWD40

Perhaps Fantasy = English hadn't been established yet.

As has been said, Westeros is based on the UK, Martin took the inspiration from things like the War of the Roses, geographically:

North = Northern England
Wall = Hadrians Wall
Celts = Wildlings
Vale = Wales
South = London

Dorne is clearly Spain, so continental EU and Essos fills many of the Eurasian stereotypes.

the show even uses the above for casting, with the S1 Vale knight Ser Vardis having a hint of Welsh etc....

Gigglepoo

I see it now: The final scene of the show zooms in on Jon Snow's face while it slowly morphs into G.R.R.M sitting in a chair saying: "This is how it could have happened, but here's what really happened!" followed by an announcement of Winds of Winter's release.

/s

This is a clue reference, right? I love Clue. Nothing would make me happier than a TWoW release date announcement set to the Clue theme, with Tim Curry, of course.

zethren

Banned
I've never heard that before. Got any details? I've heard that Appalachian accents are closer to Elizabethan ones, but that's it.

Basically true, yeah. American English is closer to the pronunciations of Chaucer, or Shakespeare. American English pronunciation hasn't changed as much since the first settlers in America, compared to that same period in Britain. British English simply diverged a bit and changed over time, and given the obvious gap between the two countries no longer sound the same. British English added "u" to words like color, favor, etc, as an example.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is a clue reference, right? I love Clue. Nothing would make me happier than a TWoW release date announcement set to the Clue theme, with Tim Curry, of course.

No, the Clue ending is where Jon stands over the Night King's remains, tells his men to cut off Cersei and Jamie's heads, then turns to the camera and says, "I'm going home to sleep with my Aunt."

Basically true, yeah. American English is closer to the pronunciations of Chaucer, or Shakespeare. American English pronunciation hasn't changed as much since the first settlers in America, compared to that same period in Britain. British English simply diverged a bit and changed over time, and given the obvious gap between the two countries no longer sound the same. British English added "u" to words like color, favor, etc, as an example.
Not to be difficult, but do you have sources on this? A cursory search on the original Canterbury Tales text shows Chaucer spelled it "colour"...

https://books.google.com/books?id=n...IODAI#v=onepage&q=chaucer text colour&f=false

I do remember a prof saying that some scholars think Appalachian accents might be closer to Elizabethan ones than RP is today, but I have never heard this thing about the generic contemporary American accent being closer to Middle English, or why the Brits drifted more, and would be interested in learning more about it. Apologies for derailing, and thanks!

jfkgoblue

Not to be difficult, but do you have sources on this? A cursory search on the original Canterbury Tales text shows Chaucer spelled it "colour"...

https://books.google.com/books?id=n...IODAI#v=onepage&q=chaucer text colour&f=false

I do remember a prof saying that some scholars think Appalachian accents might be closer to Elizabethan ones than RP is today, but I have never heard this thing about the generic contemporary American accent being closer to Middle English, or why the Brits drifted more, and would be interested in learning more about it. Apologies for derailing, and thanks!

It has to do with after the US gained its independence from England, the standard accent didn't change much(which is what many refer to as a "Midwest" accent today) while in England nobles changed their speaking habits to the modern English accents. Naturally the rest of the country followed.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/ruining/

Neither are particularly close to old English, but American English is slightly closer.

Also to note that both the US and the U.K. have dozens of accents and dialects that have changed since then. For example a Cajun dialect in Louisiana is a mixture of English and French due to it originally being a French territory. Most Americans can't understand it. 99% of American and English accents are understandable to all English speakers though.

This is the main reason I laugh at people complaining that people use the word "family members" because it doesn't fit the "time period" none of the accents do. It all comes down to Tolkien and Lewis being the fathers of modern fantasy and they both being British, wrote the novels as British men.
Spain has a lot of Arabic influences after the Arabic invasion, but Dorne is still clearly Spain, because Dorne misses the most defining characteristic of Arabs, the desert.
There is a desert in Dorne IIRC, I believe Arienne tries to cross it.

kazinova

I remember this accent business coming up around Assassin's Creed III. The notion that somehow the red coats would all have a british RP accent and the revolutionaries wouldn't was preposterous.

The general american accent and british english were the same in the 1700s and RP developed in britain, while GenAm stayed mostly the same, especially in the midwest. The east coast cities took on aspects of RP to sound "fancy" because the RP was derived from everyone in britain trying to sound "fancy" as the elite started talking that way.

Fully rhotic speech is "original" modern english, RP is the accent.

Also, for fantasy it shouldn't matter, since middle english is so different. As long as the accents are consistent it shouldn't matter. **cough** Aiden **cough**

jfkgoblue

I remember this accent business coming up around Assassin's Creed III. The notion that somehow the red coats would all have a british RP accent and the revolutionaries wouldn't was preposterous.

The general american accent and british english were the same in the 1700s and RP developed in britain, while GenAm stayed mostly the same, especially in the midwest. The east coast cities took on aspects of RP to sound "fancy" because the RP was derived from everyone in britain trying to sound "fancy" as the elite started talking that way.

Also, for fantasy it shouldn't matter, since middle english is so different. As long as the accents are consistent it shouldn't matter. **cough** Aiden **cough**
It wouldn't be bad if each kingdom had its own accent.

This is the best part about people who somehow consider British English or RP "real" English and AmE some bastardization. There's a lot of elitism around that still, especially if you're studying English in non-English countries.

Burt

Gigglepoo

So, did anyone figure out if last week was the first time Dany talked about her inability to conceive? Or had she talked about it previously?

eLGee

So, did anyone figure out if last week was the first time Dany talked about her inability to conceive? Or had she talked about it previously?

I think it was mentioned with the witch incident in season 1. Maybe not. It's been a long time since I saw it.

Dany

Banned
It's never been mentioned in the show except for the episode last week. I rewatched the series before this season and do not recall that coming up ever.

Gigglepoo

I think it was mentioned with the witch incident in season 1. Maybe not. It's been a long time since I saw it.

It's not I rewatched that scene yesterday and Mirri Maz Durr stops before getting to the "womb quickening" part.

It's never been mentioned in the show except for the episode last week. I rewatched the series before this season and do not recall that coming up ever.

Seriously? That's incredibly terrible storytelling. I understand why book readers would nod along when she revealed that last week (it's easy to confuse canons), but were show watchers just baffled? That revelation came completely out of left field.

JakeD

It's not I rewatched that scene yesterday and Mirri Maz Durr stops before getting to the "womb quickening" part.

Seriously? That's incredibly terrible storytelling. I understand why book readers would nod along when she revealed that last week (it's easy to confuse canons), but were show watchers just baffled? That revelation came completely out of left field.

yeah i just browsed a couple pre-s7 threads on westeros.org and it seems it's never been brought up at all with the exception of a Beyond The Episode.

i thought it's been brought up often but that was just me mixing up book and show which i do all the time.

ED Cantu

It seems no one remembers that Daenaerys mentioned her infertility to Khal Moro in the first episode of season 6, here:
https://youtu.be/Edumk2Y9YI4?t=4m13s

So yes, it has been mentioned in the past and not just in the last episode.

Top Bottom