• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal engine 5,5 mega light tech demo

Radical_3d

The first part of this video is what I expected from this generation. A banger 30fps title that looks miles ahead of what Uncharted 4 looks. Not a 60fps Uncharted 4 like the whole generation. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 60fps generation but I want a good ol’ game designed with 30 in mind. 30 also in the Pro, even. Doesn’t matter if there is CPU headroom. Suffocate that GPU!

Xdrive05

This must be a software based effect then? PS5 (and Pro?) uses software Lumen, so that's probably true for this as well.

So then I wonder if Mega Light has a hardware ray tracing based implementation that speeds it up or raises the ceiling on how many you can have at the same time? Or maybe it's only raster based anyway? So many questions.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This must be a software based effect then? PS5 (and Pro?) uses software Lumen, so that's probably true for this as well.

So then I wonder if Mega Light has a hardware ray tracing based implementation that speeds it up or raises the ceiling on how many you can have at the same time? Or maybe it's only raster based anyway? So many questions.
Matrix used hardware lumen. Ps5 can support hardware lumen

Xdrive05

Matrix used hardware lumen. Ps5 can support hardware lumen

That's right! Completely slipped my mind. We need to get this tech in hand and find out how it runs on different GPUs, and on consoles. Wonder if they're using hardware then in order to get the accuracy in the demo. 30fps gives them a lot of ms headroom which I'm sure they're using to get this result.

It's impressive for sure.

bitbydeath

A lot of people here don’t play Fortnite but it often receives these tech upgrades. I look forward to seeing the next graphics update with this new version.

How it started:
images

How it’s going:
images

Lysandros

This is what games for the PS5 generation was supposed to always look like. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Remember when devs used to have their own engines and they used to innovate on the new generation hardware? I remember when Gurellia started talking about them using a deferred rendering technique that made Killzone 2 look amazing.

ajumq8.gif

Cggp9UP.gif

post-7395-1226860326.gif

These devs used to want to push things as far as possible. This was Killzone 2 on the freaking PS3!!!! With only 256 MBs of RAM for GOD's SAKE!
That is the CELL factor mostly, it had many unique advantages in the hands of talented developers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The first part of this video is what I expected from this generation. A banger 30fps title that looks miles ahead of what Uncharted 4 looks. Not a 60fps Uncharted 4 like the whole generation. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 60fps generation but I want a good ol’ game designed with 30 in mind. 30 also in the Pro, even. Doesn’t matter if there is CPU headroom. Suffocate that GPU!

Exactly this. Amy Henning's Marvel game looks like this as an example.

111111111-Mar-20-2024-13-25-07.gif

That is the CELL factor mostly, it had many unique advantages in the hands of talented developers.

True, the CELL was a beast but it had so many limitations that the devs worked hard to exploit. It just doesn't feel like most big time devs are working to exploit these current consoles. Maybe it's due to cross gen games lasting years longer than most thought they should.

Fess

I’ve grown to dislike UE5 because what looked amazing in tech demos turned out to be a serious struggle to run at a high stable framerate even on a highend PC.

JCreasy

Exactly this. Amy Henning's Marvel game looks like this as an example.

111111111-Mar-20-2024-13-25-07.gif

Amy's game, 1943, is the most visually impressive gen 9 project so far.

It's basically what I was expecting for all next gen (current gen) games to look like. I think devs have been distracted by 60 fps, open world and GaaS. I want games that prioritize visuals. Amy is dunking on everyone right now and it's not even close.

Some great looking shots there. Especially the outdoor scenes, the lighting really pops in those. Hopefully we'll get some games that can hit this level.
Day one Epic MegaGames fan here, I’ve never seen a developer match their quality on the Unreal Engine. The only developers that closed the gap was Ubisoft Montreal back in the day and Rocksteady.

If Epic Games wanted to they could make a game right now with this visual quality on the PC, but they are not going to fit the bill for it (it’s too risky). I can guarantee you Epic Games is going to ride out Fortnite solely for the next ten years, hope I’m wrong.

Lethal01

5.5 is right on time for the last FF VII R installment. No excuses Square. They better go all in on UE5.

What? tons of excuses, switching engines mid dev on a sequel that has a decade of custom tech is asking to run into issues that could delay your game years combined with needing to learn the new tech in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to wait 7 more years for the next installment, but not everyone is.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

What? tons of excuses, switching engines mid dev on a sequel that has a decade of custom tech is asking to run into issues that could delay your game years combined with needing to learn the new tech in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to wait 7 more years for the next installment, but not everyone is.
Honestly, it wholly depends on how forward thinking Square was with development and how much requirements they had that forced them to touch the core engine. Custom tech does not equal hard to upgrade engine. If you made sure to use plugins as much as possible, upgrading is *relativey* easy. If you touch core engine code, it can be very hard.
I don't think we have reasonable insight here. But both options are possible.

Top Bottom