• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal engine 5,5 mega light tech demo

All nice and good, but until I see this actually implemented with acceptable performance in a real game I'm not holding my breath. CP2077, even after ReSTIR still absolutely crushes high end GPUs in its OD mode. So colour me sceptical to see something similar on a console with acceptable performance, this gen at least.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Yeah, that's when I went:

Way To Go Applause GIF by DraftKings

I figured this would be usefully showcased in real gaming instances of destructive environments for instance, drastically altering how the scene is lit based on your actions.

Still, I see all this really coming into fruition Next-Gen. Hopefully we'll have great games then.

I'm sorry man.. but how is this different than my examples?

I'm just trying to understand. If textures/shaders in U4 for example can physically manifest an infinite amount of variations of intensities and color based on dynamic player input, shouldn't they theoretically be able to fully react to moving, multiple colored sources as well?

Could you please post an example of the Alan Wake 2 texture projection based light sources?
The last gif you posted about a flash light lighting different places in the level: do you notice how the light properties are always the same?
The light is one color. The cone is one shape. The intensity remains the same.

It's not about a thing getting lit up it's about how it is lit up. Picture stained & animated glass over the flash light body. Suddenly everything you are looking at is going to get colorful, moving patterns on it. That's what this is about.
A material (shader) on a wooden wall does not contain any information about the light that is going to be shone upon it. Sure you can put colored and moving elements on the wood shader, but these will just be fake and not work very dynamically.
A texture that emits light allows the light properties to be driven by the texture itself. So a TV screen that acts as a light source will turn the surroundings brighter when the screen turns white, and if the left half of the screen is green and the right side of the screen is red, the area will light up in these colors respectively.

Herr Edgy

I feel like ue5 is a bit ahead of its time, it’s like it was built for ps6 - they seem so far ahead of the game from everything we’ve gotten so far.
Look at it as trickle-down mechanics.
A lot of what we do (not just Epic, but other engines too) is pioneering in various areas. As new tech emerges, older tech that was said to be bleeding edge matures and becomes more usable, more stable, more performant, as the hardware catches up to it.
In a way you are not wrong; Many Lights working on modern hardware does not mean you'll suddenly be able to use it on your iPhone 9. But it's a promise of what's to come.

I'm just trying to understand. If textures/shaders in U4 for example can physically manifest an infinite amount of variations of intensities and color based on dynamic player input, shouldn't they theoretically be able to fully react to moving, multiple colored sources as well?
This is just basic radiosity, it has nothing to do with having a light source that's informed by texture information to actually act as the light source.
Radiosity is specifically about how light bounces around in an environment and how it affects said environment, this was also something that wasn't able to be done in real-time until like ~15 years ago.
Herr Edgy above explains it well

The poet's cinema section in AW2 is probably the best example their solution, where it tries to mimic lighting up a movie theater, but it still has many inaccuracies.

Vick

Gold Member
The last gif you posted about a flash light lighting different places in the level: do you notice how the light properties are always the same?
The light is one color. The cone is one shape. The intensity remains the same.
The flash light is, the bounce light affecting other assets definitely isn't though.
That does change all the time, in both intensity and color based on the characteristic of a given asset being lit creating its own custom light source.

It's not about a thing getting lit up it's about how it is lit up. Picture stained & animated glass over the flash light body. Suddenly everything you are looking at is going to get colorful, moving patterns on it. That's what this is about.
A material (shader) on a wooden wall does not contain any information about the light that is going to be shone upon it. Sure you can put colored and moving elements on the wood shader, but these will just be fake and not work very dynamically.
A texture that emits light allows the light properties to be driven by the texture itself. So a TV screen that acts as a light source will turn the surroundings brighter when the screen turns white, and if the left half of the screen is green and the right side of the screen is red, the area will light up in these colors respectively.
Okay, I totally get it.

My question is still the same though, let's leave the light source being a cone flashlight, or a dynamic TV monitor displaying multiple RGB colors at different intensities at the same time, out of this matter for a second.
What would prevent these assets (the ones influenced by the bounce, not by the flashlight cone) as seen in the game:

From realistically reacting to "a dynamic TV monitor displaying multiple RGB colors at different intensities at the same time", given they're already able to display both a virtually infinite amount of intensity and color values?

Is it just the absence of the "dynamic TV" being there?

This is just basic radiosity, it has nothing to do with having a light source that's informed by texture information to actually act as the light source.
Radiosity is specifically about how light bounces around in an environment and how it affects said environment, this was also something that wasn't able to be done in real-time until like ~15 years ago.
Herr Edgy above explains it well

The poet's cinema section in AW2 is probably the best example their solution, where it tries to mimic lighting up a movie theater, but it still has many inaccuracies.

I see. Would like if you could answer my question above though.

zeroluck

The flash light is, the bounce light affecting other assets definitely isn't though.
That does change all the time, in both intensity and color based on the characteristic of a given asset being lit creating its own custom light source.

Okay, I totally get it.

My question is still the same though, let's leave the light source being a cone flashlight, or a dynamic TV monitor displaying multiple RGB colors at different intensities at the same time, out of this matter for a second.
What would prevent these assets (the ones influenced by the bounce, not by the flashlight cone) as seen in the game:

From realistically reacting to "a dynamic TV monitor displaying multiple RGB colors at different intensities at the same time", given they're already able to display both a virtually infinite amount of intensity and color values?

The "bounce" can be faked easily. Spotlight is just a point light underneath, just change the intensity of the light based on where you are within the sphere of the light source, brighter inside the cone and darker elsewhere.

Herr Edgy

I am not sure I am following on your understanding of the matter.
A surface being able to react to light, including bounce light, has nothing to do with the properties of the light source itself. You can make the same wood appear red, white, green, yellow, in all intensities, based on the light source being configured as such. But you could not do it on a TV, driven by a texture.

Adding an animated TV in itself will not add any light.
You can put a shining white TV screen into a dark room and the only thing you see is.. Nothing, because there is no light. That is the whole point of this.

winjer

Gold Member

Okay, I totally get it.

But there is no bounce lighting with TLOU.
That is very different and much more limited than what we get with lumen or mega lights.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How the hell is this running on a PS5
PS5 is extremely powerful. It has close to 8x more raw GPU horsepower than the base PS4 plus some custom features like primitive shaders and RT cores built in.

The CPU is also almost 7x more powerful. The SSD is 100x more powerful. Though not exactly being taxed here.

Epic has been leveraging both the CPU and GPU to deliver features like nanite and lumen. Their engineers have talked about leveraging primitive shaders for nanite and rt cores for Hardware Lumen.

The power is there. it's just that devs have been using it for rendering native 4k pixels or expensive rt features like RT reflections. Epic is just thinking outside the box and innovating.

Vick

Gold Member
The "bounce" can be faked easily. Spotlight is just a point light underneath, just change the intensity of the light based on where you are within the sphere of the light source, brighter inside the cone and darker elsewhere.
But is not how ND examples are done, otherwise bounce wouldn't be completely affected by the assets characteristics. Would just be a simple diffuse surrounding bounce only affected by the light source.

It has been answered, but you are discussing something else, how the environment is affected (radiosity) is secondary, this tech is about how the light itself is emitted.
And back to square one.. I get this, my (poorly formulated surely) answer was driven by curiosity only, as fuel for the point I'm about to make below.

But you could not do it on a TV, driven by a texture.

Adding an animated TV in itself will not add any light.
You can put a shining white TV screen into a dark room and the only thing you see is.. Nothing, because there is no light. That is the whole point of this.
And this is where the question was leading. So I can only assume this:

Being pre-calculated stuff. TV there isn't a true area light as seen in the UE5 Demo, and different from the AW2 sequence which is instead a real-time approximation. Correct?

But there is no bounce lighting with TLOU.
That is very different and much more limited than what we get with lumen or mega lights.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

What do you mean "there is no bouce lighting"?

If your point is TLOU bouce isn't able to cast indirect soft shadows as it happens with path tracing and lumen, I can see it. But dynamic bouce is still very obviously there (and have been there ever since TLOU on PS3), and extremely prominent to the point an entire room can be lit by bounce light only.

There's a setting in the PC version dedicated to Bounce Lighting.

And the solution is so impressive a PC guy here though it was real-time path tracing even. lol

TeNeL4p.png

Source

Last edited:

sachos

Woow nice upgrade! The fact its running on base PS5 is amazing. Can't wait for more games to start using it, the problem is that its hard for games already in dev to upgrade the engine no?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oh look another scam from EPIC. The fact that this is running on ps5 make me even more skeptical. We fall for this everytime aren't we?
I'm not sure what scam you are talking about? Most of what we see from them comes to be, and we often get games that eclipse their demo material. It just takes time. Stuff they are showing now we wont see really implemented for several years minimum, as many current productions are still on UE4 and making the transition to 5. And even the ones who have moved to 5 wouldn't actively have known or had plans for this feature. So we're talking games just now entering into dev that will see use of this.

Kangx

I'm not sure what scam you are talking about? Most of what we see from them comes to be, and we often get games that eclipse their demo material. It just takes time. Stuff they are showing now we wont see really implemented for several years minimum, as many current productions are still on UE4 and making the transition to 5. And even the ones who have moved to 5 wouldn't actively have known or had plans for this feature. So we're talking games just now entering into dev that will see use of this.
I should put more context but what I say is mainly about consoles and it iss true. On pc especially high end pc, it will look beautiful.

Showing this demo on the ps5 is the definition of scam. The current console are not capable of running this in a game environment.

With the current iteration of UE5, the consoles already struggle with low res and unstable frame rates. Add in the most incompetent upscalers at low res like FSR, and we have a recipe for disaster. Wukong is the best example of this. There are many more.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How the hell is this running on a PS5

This is what games for the PS5 generation was supposed to always look like. This shouldn't be a surprise.

PS5 is extremely powerful. It has close to 8x more raw GPU horsepower than the base PS4 plus some custom features like primitive shaders and RT cores built in.

The CPU is also almost 7x more powerful. The SSD is 100x more powerful. Though not exactly being taxed here.

Epic has been leveraging both the CPU and GPU to deliver features like nanite and lumen. Their engineers have talked about leveraging primitive shaders for nanite and rt cores for Hardware Lumen.

The power is there. it's just that devs have been using it for rendering native 4k pixels or expensive rt features like RT reflections. Epic is just thinking outside the box and innovating.

Remember when devs used to have their own engines and they used to innovate on the new generation hardware? I remember when Gurellia started talking about them using a deferred rendering technique that made Killzone 2 look amazing.

ajumq8.gif

Cggp9UP.gif

post-7395-1226860326.gif

These devs used to want to push things as far as possible. This was Killzone 2 on the freaking PS3!!!! With only 256 MBs of RAM for GOD's SAKE!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
1h 19m 15s in, Buggy Loop Buggy Loop , are they. It essentially shipping dynamic server meshing as their extension to UE5? For a single continuous world, 150 sq miles is… good :).

kiZg9sF.jpeg

Just got to your post after busy day/night

Seems to be a form of dynamic server meshing by explanation. Or static server meshing? The area seems to be defined by rivers? But each mesh scale in layers, like MMOs have done in the past, meaning you don't see everyone at the same time or they kind of intertwine weirdly to save on performances. So those 8000 players, but how many layers? It could be low density.

Can you go to a border of a mesh and shoot the opposite side with arrows, but pardon me, I don't know much about the game but the footage I saw searching for it, it looks like they are queued attacks, which, if I was a network engineer, I would have a sigh of relief hearing that. Imagine sending a queue where latency or tick rate can be put aside for transitioning a mesh, rather than having a modeled entity such as an arrow with their physics, transfer mesh to mesh and remain believable.

Is it more like planetside 2? Can succumb to low tick rates, simplified physics, bubbles around players with no persistence of items, offload the heavy computational requirements on client side but make it easy for hackers to hack/cheat?

Dual universe promised huge density, TENS of thousands of players without layers, all in one world. In the end the game was unplayable at its peak of a whooping 792 players. Unplayable. Players warping tens of kilometers away. Even nowadays in its dead status with 24h peaks of 20 ish players (less than 10 avg actually for months), the game still performans bad if you even have 6 or so players having their creation too close to each others in the world. So we'll never truely know if they ever had the tech to begin with or if its even implemented, as if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I hope for them its cool tech and it'll work and make their MMO experience better. But after watching the video a couple of times, I'm left with more questions than answers. To be seen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Im curious to see 'The Witcher 4' made in this engine; there's a lot of anticipation, especially knowing that CDPR is working with Epic on it

The question is.....will it be made for PCs 4080s and up first and then consoles second? Or will it be a console game first (Xbox Series S included) and then run at 160 fps on high-end PCs?

xanaum

The question is.....will it be made for PCs 4080s and up first and then consoles second? Or will it be a console game first (Xbox Series S included) and then run at 160 fps on high-end PCs?

The Series S will probably cause the same situation as Wukong and Baldur's Gate 3. Anyway, back in 2022, Adam Kiciński told IGN that we're 3 years away from TW4's release, so their Unreal Engine 5 is being built around these current consoles.

From what we saw in that video presentation, the 5.5 engine was running on a PS5, so everything’s still pretty grounded in the present.

Herr Edgy

Being pre-calculated stuff. TV there isn't a true area light as seen in the UE5 Demo, and different from the AW2 sequence which is instead a real-time approximation. Correct?

Yes. Does the light even look like it matches the colors emitted from the screen? Nope
It doesn't even have to be 'precalculated'. It can be a runtime light that is dynamically animating its intensities. But there is no inherent link to what the TV is doing.
If you watch that segment of the Many Lights demo again, you can see how every pixel of a given area light is having an impact on its surroundings. Darker pixel on light source screen = darker environment at exactly where the light is falling onto.

Last edited:
Yes. Does the light even look like it matches the colors emitted from the screen? Nope
It doesn't even have to be 'precalculated'. It can be a runtime light that is dynamically animating its intensities. But there is no inherent link to what the TV is doing.
If you watch that segment of the Many Lights demo again, you can see how every pixel of a given area light is having an impact on its surroundings. Darker pixel on light source screen = darker environment at exactly where the light is falling onto.
I was about to write up the difference, but basically it boils down to you emit a ray from every pixel on the area light vs Image based lighting basically splatting onto some sort of volume. (In offline rendering you basically trace backwards from how games generally do it and you map where every ray hits a pixel on an area light from the viewer and calculate it's emissive value).

The TV above is probably the source of an average colour which shades a texture on the floor or a point light, nothing to do with area lights.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
But is not how ND examples are done, otherwise bounce wouldn't be completely affected by the assets characteristics. Would just be a simple diffuse surrounding bounce only affected by the light source.

And back to square one.. I get this, my (poorly formulated surely) answer was driven by curiosity only, as fuel for the point I'm about to make below.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

What do you mean "there is no bouce lighting"?

If your point is TLOU bouce isn't able to cast indirect soft shadows as it happens with path tracing and lumen, I can see it. But dynamic bouce is still very obviously there (and have been there ever since TLOU on PS3), and extremely prominent to the point an entire room can be lit by bounce light only.

There's a setting in the PC version dedicated to Bounce Lighting.

And the solution is so impressive a PC guy here though it was real-time path tracing even. lol

TeNeL4p.png

Source

It just changes the darkness o the room when the flashlight is lit.
Look at the video with the red carpet. It it has real bounce light, the wall would get a red tint. But it doesn't.

Vick

Gold Member
I see, thanks.

Had to wonder because of how assets could interact dynamically to GI in the game, wanted to know what caused those lights in the room in the TV section.

It just changes the darkness o the room when the flashlight is lit.
Look at the video with the red carpet. It it has real bounce light, the wall would get a red tint. But it doesn't.
YN8nDAE.gif

Dude.. you couldn't possibly be any more incorrect.

PBjxfvw.png

AEPkX88.png

ivgfhFm.png

S1JqBe9.png

qW2BocT.png

AO34MPX.png

HLNUpAr.png

3HPfFy8.png

8IVE7eD.png

r8ofjlo.png

RlLruEV.png

lJtawpC.png

And it's not suble, it's extremely prominent and extensive in motion.

The funny thing it's that this same tech, although a little less precise, was implemented already in 2013 on the PS3 version of TLOU, and then Uncharted 4, then The Lost Legacy, then The Last of Us: Part II, then The Last of Us: Part I..

What a strange thing to say.

Jd8BMDo.gif

winjer

Gold Member
I see, thanks.

Had to wonder because of how assets could interact dynamically to GI in the game, wanted to know what caused those lights in the room in the TV section.

YN8nDAE.gif

Dude.. you couldn't possibly be any more incorrect.

PBjxfvw.png

AEPkX88.png

ivgfhFm.png

S1JqBe9.png

qW2BocT.png

AO34MPX.png

HLNUpAr.png

3HPfFy8.png

8IVE7eD.png

r8ofjlo.png

RlLruEV.png

lJtawpC.png

And it's not suble, it's extremely prominent and extensive in motion.

The funny thing it's that this same tech, although a little less precise, was implemented already in 2013 on the PS3 version of TLOU, and then Uncharted 4, then The Lost Legacy, then The Last of Us: Part II, then The Last of Us: Part I..

What a strange thing to say.

Jd8BMDo.gif

OK, you proved me wrong. It does have some sort of bounce light.
I had never played that game, but it does seem to have some advanced lighting feature.

Vick

Gold Member
OK, you proved me wrong. It does have some sort of bounce light.
I had never played that game, but it does seem to have some advanced lighting feature.
Yeah, it is extremely impressive honestly. Everytime I'm playing one of those games I just can't help but waste hours playing with lights, especially when it affects countless little objects and assets in the scene, like toys on the shelf in an abandoned toy store, each altering the color of the scene and how other assets hit by the bouce change in appeareance.. it's actually distracting.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, it is extremely impressive honestly. Everytime I'm playing one of those games I just can't help but waste hours playing with lights, especially when it affects countless little objects and assets in the scene, like toys on the shelf in an abandoned toy store, each altering the color of the scene and how other assets hit by the bouce change in appeareance.. it's actually distracting.

Seems to be a modern approach to an old technique, using cube maps to project lights.
It's only one bounce and it probably has some issues with alignment, as usual with these techniques.
But between Naughty Dog's attention to detail, this technique and PBR, the result is quite nice.
It probably has very low compute overhead, though it probably requires a good amount of memory.
It also seems to not be precise enough for outdoor scenes, where there is vegetation and more complex geometry.

Indoors, the game leans on Naughty Dog's exceptional approach to pre-calculated indirect lighting. The game seems to utilise a probe system combined with light maps and realistic physically-based materials off which the light plays very naturally. The result are most keenly felt in dimly lit interiors that feel remarkably realistic.

For larger surfaces such as water or wet pavement, Naughty Dog uses a mix of box-projected cube maps and screen-space reflections. There's nothing especially unique about this, but it's the craftsmanship on display that matters. If you pay close attention, you'll notice that the cube maps are very carefully aligned with the scenery allowing the SSR to almost perfectly line-up.

Vick

Gold Member
Seems to be a modern approach to an old technique, using cube maps to project lights.
It's only one bounce and it probably has some issues with alignment, as usual with these techniques.
Eh.. not really. It's both precise, extremely even, and couldn't be one bounce as colors mix organically and instantaneously.

It also has a grainy appeareance in the most taxing scenes, especially on PS3, identical to what you would see with raw RT or patch tracing without a denoiser applied.

It is obviously a completely real-time solution because there's just not a single chance in hell they could pre-bake infinite combinations for infinite assets for every shader in every interior.

It probably has very low compute overhead, though it probably requires a good amount of memory.
It also seems to not be precise enough for outdoor scenes, where there is vegetation and more complex geometry.
It's not applied outdoor for both insufficient computation and interference with their baked GI solution used extensively outdoor, not for lack of precision (this doesn't make sense).
This was evident especially in TLOU PS3 at times when bounce lighting would activate only once a door leading outdoor would shut.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Eh.. not really. It's both precise, extremely even, and couldn't be one bounce as colors mix organically and instantaneously.

It also has a grainy appeareance in the most taxing scenes, especially on PS3, identical to what you would see with raw RT or patch tracing without a denoiser applied.

It is obviously a completely real-time solution because there's just not a single chance in hell they could pre-bake infinite combinations for infinite assets for every shader in every interior.

It's not applied outdoor for both insufficient computation and interference with their baked GI solution used extensively outdoor, not for lack of precision (this doesn't make sense).
This was evident especially in TLOU PS3 at times when bounce lighting would activate only once a door leading outdoor would shut.

The quote I had was from Digital Foundry. I think they talked with the devs and they explained it to them.

But try lighting a that refrigerator with 2 colours at an oblique angle, and see if it's still consistent.

Vick

Gold Member
The quote I had was from Digital Foundry. I think they talked with the devs and they explained it to them.

But try lighting a that refrigerator with 2 colours at an oblique angle, and see if it's still consistent.
Already did, it is consident. As I said this is so extremely distracting I've been testing this stuff for literal hours each playthrough of these four games, for almost a decade at this point.

Check out this little example:

Notice how the bouce becomes red instantaneously for a fraction of a second once the light hits Elena's red shirt in front of Drake, affecting the entire scene. This could never happen without a complete real-time solution as Elena placement in the scene is entirely random.

Last edited:

FireFly

I should put more context but what I say is mainly about consoles and it iss true. On pc especially high end pc, it will look beautiful.

Showing this demo on the ps5 is the definition of scam. The current console are not capable of running this in a game environment.

With the current iteration of UE5, the consoles already struggle with low res and unstable frame rates. Add in the most incompetent upscalers at low res like FSR, and we have a recipe for disaster. Wukong is the best example of this. There are many more.
Unreal Engine 5.4:

"We made substantial Improvements to hardware raytracing (HWRT). These improvements offer speed gains of 2x in the case of primitives and it helps to ship 60hz experiences which use HWRT."

Unreal Engine 5.5:

"Release 5.5 has made many improvements to the underpinning systems which all fall into the external-facing hardware raytracing category (HWRT). These lower level systems all impact the performance and capabilities of Lumen, Path tracing, and Light Baking. There are improvements to asynchronous evaluation of raytracing code, improvements to caching and better management of acceleration structures. The intent of these changes is to make it feasible to utilize HWRT at higher refresh rates on platforms for which there is hardware support."

I don't believe any games have shipped on 5.4 yet. The version information we have for Wukong indicates it is using 5.0, in which case it doesn't have any of the later performance optimizations or even support for Nanite foliage.

Edit: Missed the image above, which explicitly confirms HWRT 60 FPS support on current consoles with 5.5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom