• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unusual UFO sighting in Chile in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kud Dukan

gZDT1.jpg

Well there is just as much evidence for that being the case as there is for a lot of the other theories I've seen about this floating around the web. Hopefully Shepard will be around to save us.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I was referring to the old NASA TV broadcasts, they used to show unprocessed camera footage feeds from the external camera mounts on the shuttles and the space stations, but now they're usually not just a raw feed. Whenever it's "live" for a special purpose, it's probably got a delay due to a number of practical reasons. But the raw feeds aren't around anymore, yadda yadda.
Thanks. Was gonna mention this. Anyway, the proof is in the video for those that are curious.

KHarvey16

I was referring to the old NASA TV broadcasts, they used to show unprocessed camera footage feeds from the external camera mounts on the shuttles and the space stations, but now they're usually not just a raw feed. Whenever it's "live" for a special purpose, it's probably got a delay due to a number of practical reasons. But the raw feeds aren't around anymore, yadda yadda.

They take the video feeds right from the shuttle or ISS. How is it different from the earlier videos? Those were delayed too!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I repeat: where are the pictures or videos of the other cameras?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't know, Chile's got them. Don't know if they've all been released, probably not.

So there is no proof that there even is more footage of this at all. So basically, this is another typical bad-footage UFO video. 1980 quality too, in 2010. lol

So there is no proof that there even is more footage of this at all. So basically, this is another typical bad-footage UFO video. 1980 quality too, in 2010. lol
Well sure if you think that "Gen. Ricardo Bermúdez, formerly chief commander of the air force's 3rd Air Brigade (southern area) and an air attaché in London" is flat out lying then yeah. I agree it would be nice to have all 7 instances video footage to judge for ourselves though. Remember this presentation was just made a few days ago. Maybe it will all be made available to see soon.

As for the quality of the footage I imagine even with an HD camera it would be difficult if not impossible to really get a good view of that thing. Apparently people didn't notice it until footage was reviewed but even so its eratic high speed movements would have been impossible to zoom in on.

Just in time for the History channels new Ancient Aliens show. I think this time they are claiming the Aliens are actually Sasquatch using time traveling spacecraft.

A mass 'ufo' sighting isn't an unusual event. The phoenix lights for example - an elaborate hoax that was witnessed on multiple occasion by hundreds to thousands of people. Situations like this aren't really worth more than a glance over. UFOs happen so frequently because of ignorance, not because of extraterrestrial presence. Until there's evidence to the contrary, even a shred of it, things like this gracing news headlines only tempts average people to waste their time investigating the perfectly human creations.

squidyj

A mass 'ufo' sighting isn't an unusual event. The phoenix lights for example - an elaborate hoax that was witnessed on multiple occasion by hundreds to thousands of people. Situations like this aren't really worth more than a glance over. UFOs happen so frequently because of ignorance, not because of extraterrestrial presence. Until there's evidence to the contrary, even a shred of it, things like this gracing news headlines only tempts average people to waste their time investigating the perfectly human creations.

i_want_to_believe.jpg

Why the hell would UFOs be visible anyway. Wouldn't these aliens capable of interstellar flight have cloaking capabilities?

DarkFlow

Banned
NASA used to broadcast space walks and various missions in space (like repairs to the space station, etc.) In a lot of that footage, there are clearly UFOs shown (and mentioned by astronauts) around the space station and in our atmosphere. NASA stopped broadcasting footage years ago (probably because of some of the stuff that's in this) but seeing a lot of the footage makes it almost impossible to say something weird isn't happening in our atmosphere.
What? Watch NASA tv, they show ISS spacewalks all the time.

akira28

A mass 'ufo' sighting isn't an unusual event. The phoenix lights for example - an elaborate hoax that was witnessed on multiple occasion by hundreds to thousands of people. Situations like this aren't really worth more than a glance over.

wat

akira28

What don't you follow? Evidence?
no, thanks.

I've heard a few explanations for the primary 2007 'flying V' event... But I haven't heard that it was a hoax. Notably, the more recent event wasn't like the major event in 2007, the lights were different, behaved differently, and did not keep formation. Someone did claim to hoax that, but it seems to contrast from the 2007 event that was like, everywhere. The I think some flight wing did say they were emergency flares launched in an exercise or something, but that's questionable. Some sources have said those flares wouldn't have flown over Phoenix like that, and that they wouldn't have stayed in such tight uniform shape like that, being flares on a parachute.

Wouldn't the object be significantly blurred on a regular camera if it were really moving that fast?

In a word, yes. While it looks likely that the video was shot with a higher-than-usual shutter speed (the usual being 1/50 - 1/60), the speed at which that thing is supposedly moving is just utterly ridiculous, and there's essentially no chance that you would get that clearly defined frames of the object. Going by what that video implies visually, you'd have to assume that it was moving no faster than the planes themselves, and in which case is likely closer, lower, and smaller than it at first appears.

Hard to say for certain though without knowing what the video was shot on.

As for someone claiming that it can't be artifacting because it appeared on other videos - where are the videos?

abusori

Maybe it's a monstrous bird that goes so fast we normally can't see it, but this one clipped its wing on a plane and slowed down a little. lol

I'm gonna go with reapers-guy. Lots of cool things have reapers. (points at avatar)

no, thanks.

I've heard a few explanations for the primary 'flying V' event. But I haven't heard that it was a hoax.

The first incident was likely not a hoax but military craft dropping flares from very high alts. The 'return' incidents in 2007 and 2008 were most certainly hoaxes. My point was and still is: mass sightings have nothing to do with validity. Those who investigate mass sightings tend to want to find something and in doing so ignore key witnesses and evidence that point events away from extraterrestrial origin. They practice the same investigation techniques as most media outlets.

'Man observes military craft dropping flares with his telescope' isn't a headline. 'Hundreds witness silent low-flying flying 'vee' of lights over night sky' is. One is credible, the other incredible. Wonder which is more likely truthful.

akira28

2007 was the one claimed to be flares, and not from that high and alt, really.

2008 was the group of floating lights that were more of a wobbly U than a tight V. And I wasn't talking about your initial point. I was referring to your stating the 'Phoenix Lights' incident, that 2007 event which is commonly referred to as such(omitting the 1997 incident), was a hoax.

thirty

Banned
Ok so I'm gonna post a strange theory about "ufos" that just hit me after watching the YouTube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvk_6sKrFoM&feature=youtube_gdata_player and combining it with thoughts on a movie on netflix called dmt the spirit molecule.

I have a belief that the galaxy and stars and even the sun are made up of souls and spirits. Heaven. To the human eye and masked by science it's just known as space. Dmt causes out of body psychedelic experiences that take the user to a different realm. And like many of these so called drugs they seem to alter time. A 15 minute trip lasts what seems like a lifetime or longer because the concept of time is different in the other realm.

Now go back to the YouTube vid and the whole ufo phenomena. They always seem to operate outside of the rules of what we know as time. The guy mentions we can only see them sometimes when they slow down and watch us. Hence being able to be captured on film in split seconds. So what if ufos aren't ufos? But angels, souls and spirits? What if we're mearly catching glimpses of them watching us from the other side?

I've most recently began to think of ufos as time travellers but time travel isn't possible on earth but it would be operating from the other side where time doesn't exist. That's why crafts seem to bend time and physics when we do see them. Actual crafts could be their method of coming back or crossing over when these spirits need to intervene or interact with us. Why would they want to do that? Because they were here before before "death".

Ok so I'm gonna post a strange theory about "ufos" that just hit me after watching the YouTube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvk_6sKrFoM&feature=youtube_gdata_player and combining it with thoughts on a movie on netflix called dmt the spirit molecule.

I have a belief that the galaxy and stars and even the sun are made up of souls and spirits. Heaven. To the human eye and masked by science it's just known as space. Dmt causes out of body psychedelic experiences that take the user to a different realm. And like many of these so called drugs they seem to alter time. A 15 minute trip lasts what seems like a lifetime or longer because the concept of time is different in the other realm.

Now go back to the YouTube vid and the whole ufo phenomena. They always seem to operate outside of the rules of what we know as time. The guy mentions we can only see them sometimes when they slow down and watch us. Hence being able to be captured on film in split seconds. So what if ufos aren't ufos? But angels, souls and spirits? What if we're mearly catching glimpses of them watching us from the other side?

I've most recently began to think of ufos as time travellers but time travel isn't possible on earth but it would be operating from the other side where time doesn't exist. That's why crafts seem to bend time and physics when we do see them. Actual crafts could be their method of coming back or crossing over when these spirits need to intervene or interact with us. Why would they want to do that? Because they were here before before "death".

So basically your theory is biblical.

Well sure if you think that "Gen. Ricardo Bermúdez, formerly chief commander of the air force's 3rd Air Brigade (southern area) and an air attaché in London" is flat out lying then yeah. I agree it would be nice to have all 7 instances video footage to judge for ourselves though. Remember this presentation was just made a few days ago. Maybe it will all be made available to see soon.

Appeals to authority aren't evidence.

V_Arnold

What's with all the UFO threads lately? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

At this point in our society, the only thing being extraordinary is the skeptic's ability to still deny all this. But do not worry, this will change rapidly in the coming years.

Monocle

It's definitely for sure aliens. Apply your lube now, before it's too late.

At this point in our society, the only thing being extraordinary is the skeptic's ability to still deny all this. But do not worry, this will change rapidly in the coming years.
Seriously?

Why the hell would UFOs be visible anyway. Wouldn't these aliens capable of interstellar flight have cloaking capabilities?

Only if "cloaking" in the way you're imagining it is even possible. A more pressing concern would be why they would try to hide themselves, yet constantly do flyovers of densely populated areas in broad daylight. Or why they would glow so brightly as to be clearly visible in the night sky.

Monocle

Only if "cloaking" in the way you're imagining it is even possible. A more pressing concern would be why they would try to hide themselves, yet constantly do flyovers of densely populated areas in broad daylight. Or why they would glow so brightly as to be clearly visible in the night sky.
They're galactic travelers with incomprehensibly advanced spacefaring technology, not strategists. Gosh! Typical skeptic.

Famassu

It's more extraordinary how some people don't understand laws of physics & simple math. Good luck accumulating enough energy for that intergalactic space travel.

It's more extraordinary how some people don't understand laws of physics & simple math.

That is in decidedly ordinary.

I disagree with your conclusion (that interstellar travel isn't viable) but I agree that the form it will takes will not resemble UFO mythology.

V_Arnold

It's more extraordinary how some people don't understand laws of physics & simple math. Good luck accumulating enough energy for that intergalactic space travel.

No, that is just arrogance, assuming that just because we are building on a linear concept of "travel" in space, other civilizations need to follow the same assumptions too. They do not.

Famassu

No, that is just arrogance, assuming that just because we are building on a linear concept of "travel" in space, other civilizations need to follow the same assumptions too. They do not.
They live in the same universe as us, so yes they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom