• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unversity president decorated home with cotton stalks while hosting black students

Zoe

I mean, mac and cheese, collard greens, and corn bread? That sounds like a caricature of a meal that a poor black family ate 50 years ago and not something that people look forward to eating now (could be wrong on that).

Nah, my family definitely looks forward to that stuff.

I would be fine with that take if he actually took a great deal of thought and effort to think and prepare those 'cultural foods.' I can buy that as him trying to be respectful.

What he did though? It looks like he thought this up in like 5 seconds and spend 30 minutes on cooking

Yeah ... I agree with this. He probably served ground beef for the tacos lol

MisterR

I mean, mac and cheese, collard greens, and corn bread? That sounds like a caricature of a meal that a poor black family ate 50 years ago and not something that people look forward to eating now (could be wrong on that).

And the Tacos bit is just plain wrong.

Nah, Mac and cheese, collard greens and cornbread are southern staples. We have them weekly in our meals.

Slayven

Hmm, never knew I ate ”black food". That's a pretty standard meal in most of the South. I ate all that stuff last week.

Southern Cuisine is black cuisine. Slaves had to cook for the masters AND make the garbage they were given taste good. So many dishes had their roots in slave, African, and Caribbean cooking

TalonJH

Oh no, that edit to the OP. Lol, yeah that's what she thought they would like by stereotyping. I would just call is a coincidence before.

MisterR

I don't know why you are getting mad at history and facts. But the thin skinned "People can't be do anything without being offensive" shit is old

The cotton stalks are insensitive. Serving man n cheese, greens and cornbread is a perfectly normal meal.

atlanta_eyes_wide_shut_by_digi_matrix-db0ig54.gif

Piecake

Nah, my family definitely looks forward to that stuff.

Nah, Mac and cheese, collard greens and cornbread are southern staples. We have them weekly in our meals.

So, a meal of Mac and Cheese, collard greens, and corn bread is an acceptable meal to serve to guests? Especially guests who aren't family/friends?

It sounds incredibly cheap and low effort, which, on top of the whole racist stereotype caricature thing of it all, is my problem with this.

I mean, I would be embarrassed to serve that meal to a guest, but can't say that I have ever eaten collard greens and I am from the North.

Slayven

The cotton stalks are insensitive. Serving man n cheese, greens and cornbread is a perfectly normal meal.

But he did have the cotton stalks, that shows exactly where his head was act.

In racism threads people love to muddy with what ifs, tangents, and nitpicks.

Don't get tiring bending in knots to give racists a pass?

MisterR

So, a meal of Mac and Cheese, collard greens, and corn bread is an acceptable meal to serve to guests? Especially guests who aren't family/friends?

It sounds incredibly cheap and low effort, which, on top of the whole stereotype caricature thing of it all, is my problem with this.

I mean, I would be embarrassed to serve that meal to a guest, but can't say that I have ever eaten collard greens and I am from the North.

I assume there was probably some type of meat with it as well, and yes, perfectly acceptable and delicious if it’s all homemade. Certainly not low effort to make either. This is also the first I’m hearing of any black cultural stereotype of Mac n cheese and cornbread.

Skittles

But he did have the cotton stalks, that shows exactly where his head was act.

In racism threads people love to muddy with what ifs, tangents, and nitpicks.

Don't get tiring bending in knots to give racists a pass?
You see slayven, if only you would have just cut away all relations these incidents have with each other and just considered them by themselves. Then you would have clearly seen how not racist these things are.

I assume there was probably some type of meat with it as well, and yes, perfectly acceptable and delicious if it’s all homemade. Certainly not low effort to make either. This is also the first I’m hearing of any black cultural stereotype of Mac n cheese and cornbread.
Lemme serve you some watermelon for dessert. I think you are being dense about this.

Slayven

I personally would not be offended if he served me spaghetti and my wife plantains, but I agree the meals are pretty thoughtless

So the students should just get over it shit that happened to them because Fenderputty isn't offended in a hypothetical scenario?

MisterR

Lemme serve you some watermelon for dessert. I think you are being dense about this.

I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. Where exactly are you from? I can assure you nobody I know would be surprised in any way with being served that at dinner. Those are all staples of Southern Cuisine.

Beowulf28

I’m actually an (black) alumni of that school, this shit ain’t that surprising. Dude is suuuuper white and rich so I’d totally believe they’d be this tone deaf. The real issue nobody is talking about is (and I know people who were invited to this) it was an event for black students to talk to him about the black experience and improvements that could be made, but instead he apparently spent the whole time talking about himself and the schools accomplishments and didn’t give the students the chance to actually talk about the reason they were there.

I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. Where exactly are you from? I can assure you nobody I know would be surprised in any way with being served that at dinner. Those are all staples of Southern Cuisine.

Correction, they were staples of BLACK southern cuisine (read: soul food) that white folks for thee longest time looked down upon until they tried actually tried it. Now we have this alternative history were it was always beloved and was something that was part of the southern identity when it really wasn't.

I'm from Texas apparently we are not the south though I eat most of those foods. Why did they get served those meals alongside some fucking cotton man? Why are you defending that? Am I missing something?

Correction, they were staples of BLACK southern cuisine (read: soul food) that white folks for thee longest time looked down upon until they tried actually tried it. Now we have this alternative history were it was always beloved and was something that was part of the southern identity when it really wasn't.

This same shit happened with Mexican food. My cousin was embarrassed to take a burrito to school in the 80s and now it's all the rage.

lightus

It sounds incredibly cheap and low effort, which, on top of the whole racist stereotype caricature thing of it all, is my problem with this.

Yeah super common and it's really good. It's not like you are just popping frozen foods in the microwave. People can spend all day cooking this stuff up right. Typically your have some sort of meat with it.

I have some of these dishes almost every time I eat with my family.

rudger

Hmm, never knew I ate “black food”. That’s a pretty standard meal in most of the South. I ate all that stuff last week.

Yeah, I'm legitimately confused why this is considered "black" food. It's southern which logically might also be popular in some black communities, but it's not solely black food....no excuse for the cotton though.

MisterR

I'm from Texas apparently we are not the south though I eat most of those foods. Why did they get served those meals alongside some fucking cotton man? Why are you defending that? Am I missing something?

Already stated the Cotten stalks were stupid and insensitive. Just think that’s a pretty common meal to be served throughout the South. If it offended them then I guess he should have served something different.

BriGuy

Actually, mac and cheese is of English origin, and cornbread is Native American. Let's not substitute one alternative history with another.

Drensch

Devils advocate: There was no malintent. He spaced on the social implications of cotton as part of a centerpiece and thought serving food of the student's culture would be a nice gesture, two days in a row to separate cultures.

I'm willing to believe this is possible (the cotton is what makes it implausible IMO). He's still exibiting insane levels of tone deafness.

Yeah it's almost so racist, he couldn't actually be that racist and is just stupid. So the question of how he got so far is raised.

Already stated the Cotten stalks were stupid and insensitive. Just think that’s a pretty common meal to be served throughout the South. If it offended them then I guess he should have served something different.

I'm Hispanic so it would be like draping a place with shovels, farmer tools and feeding me tacos and burritos.

I eat those kinds of meals but I also like sushi, and steak and catfish.

So the students should just get over it shit that happened to them because Fenderputty isn't offended in a hypothetical scenario?

Uhhh what is this garbage? I asked if you would be offended and stated I wouldn't in a similar situation. Did I accost you for your opinion? Did I ever imply you shouldn't be offended or that because of your offense, everyone should be. Jesus man

Lmao, he served the Latino students tacos. Holy guacamole.

Just serve them a big bowl of beans with a wooden spoon and some tortillas while you're at it.

I would totally eat that, but not from you.

Slayven

Uhhh what is this garbage? I asked if you would be offended and stated I wouldn't in a similar situation. Did I accost you for your opinion? Did I ever imply you shouldn't be offended or that because of your offense, everyone should be. Jesus man

How else was that statement supposed to be received? It comes off as dismissive at best

How else was that statement supposed to be received? It comes off as dismissive at best

Was I supposed to take your offense, internalize it and become offended myself? I'm just talking to you, man.

I'm a vacuum I don't see the food issue offensive. I've served cultural meals to friends in that culture before.

Aizo

Banned
These threads always have people taking the message completely the wrong way. "Wait, but I like that thing. Are Black people taking it away from me? I'm mad. It's not racist! Don't take it from me!"

Nobody's taking away your food, guy. Just put a little thought into this shit.

Apt101

The cotton decorations are whatever, I've seen them before. It's as arbitrary as any other random-branch-or-plant decor stuck into a vase and sold at Pier One for $150.

But how out of touch must he be to make a centerpiece of it while hosting specifically black students to discuss their experience at his school? And serve them soul food?

He's either ridiculously clueless or was purposefully antagonizing them.

I wish I could be offended, but I went to Georgia Southern.

Statesboro has a Cotton Picking Festival just down the street from campus.

Actually, nah, I still am offended.

If it's so much goddamn family fun, why did y'all have us in chains doing it.

Top Bottom