• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unversity president decorated home with cotton stalks while hosting black students

Piecake

Actually, mac and cheese is of English origin, and cornbread is Native American. Let's not substitute one alternative history with another.

I don't know if you are joking (hard to tell in these times), but your post is basically this

You see slayven, if only you would have just cut away all relations these incidents have with each other and just considered them by themselves. Then you would have clearly seen how not racist these things are.

but with food

You don't have to be offended, but you can't be discounting those that are with valid reasons.

And?

When did I discount anything?

The "and" part, was the discussion. I'm restating it in hopes that we can discuss this dropping this ... whatever the fuck it is

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It was the cotton guys. Just don't try to be the king of everything and be up front about it.
Get your fried chicken on, say on the e-vite "I'm going to fry chicken, okra, and greens. BYOB. Also someone please bring mac&cheese"

The food was a bonus if you were the plaintiff building a case.

I think a lot of problems can be avoided by just being open with people. Everyone is so scared to talk to people before doing anything. Your meal and dinner arrangements don't need to take anybody by surprise.

For the record I'm pretty sure places like Pier One Imports sell dried cotton stalks in a jar type centerpieces.

Edit: the prez probably knew what hes was doing and thought it was gonna be a "jokey haha" topic

Slayven

When did I discount anything?

The "and" part, was the discussion. I'm restating it in hopes that we can discuss this dropping this ... whatever the fuck it is
Your first post in this thread was dismissing this.
Devils advocate: There was no malintent. He spaced on the social implications of cotton as part of a centerpiece and thought serving food of the student's culture would be a nice gesture, two days in a row to separate cultures.

I'm willing to believe this is possible (the cotton is what makes it implausible IMO). He's still exibiting insane levels of tone deafness.

Feed me something else other than what I can make for myself! I also like stir fried rice man!
And pizza
And fish and chips

But tacos again?!

breh al pastor is better than life itself. If he served Mexican every time he had Latino students up, that's an issue, for sure. Ground beef tacos too.

Your first post in this threas was dismissing this.

Do you know what Devils advocate means? There was a ducking disclaimer for the post

Slayven

breh al pastor is better than life itself. If he served Mexican every time he had Latino students up, that's and issue.

Do you know what Devils advocate means? There was a ducking disclaimer for the post

It's when people want to defend the indefensible, "Devil's advocate" its in the name. Adding a disclaimer doesn't make it right

rudger

Your first post in this threas was dismissing this.

He starts by saying he's playing devils advocate and then says he thinks it's implausible. The post is a little all over the place, but it's clear he understands why the whole thing is offensive. I think you misunderstood the intent of the original post. Sounds like he wanted somebody to try to rationalize it as a thought experiment.

*all instances of he can be replaced with she

Slayven

He starts by saying he's playing devils advocate and then says he thinks it's implausible. The post is a little all over the place, but it's clear he understands why the whole thing is offensive. I think you misunderstood the intent of the original post. Sounds like he wanted somebody to try to rationalize it as a thought experiment.

That is a big problem with racism, bigtory in this country,to some folks marginalized people's humanity is a thought experiment not something real . But sadly the consequences is all too real.

Why do people play what if when the facts and evidence is there clear as day?

It's when people want to defend the indefensible, "Devil's advocate" its in the name. Adding a disclaimer doesn't make it right

Devils advocate means I'm defending a position I don't agree with. Which is why I included "possible" and "plausible".

You're reaching man, and I don't know why.

This

breh al pastor is better than life itself. If he served Mexican every time he had Latino students up, that's an issue, for sure. Ground beef tacos too.

You are side stepping some shenanigans but I going to bed, maybe it will come out tomorrow night night.

lightus

Okay but if even if it was an accident, he's the president of a university. If you're in positions of high popularity/power you have more pressure to be culturally aware/sensitive. Especially if you're the one hosting a cultural event.

People will hold you to a higher standard and you should act accordingly. He shouldn't have considered the decorations/food if there was even the possibility of it being construed as racist. The fact that he did it two nights in a row is ridiculous.

Two Words

Devils advocate: There was no malintent. He spaced on the social implications of cotton as part of a centerpiece and thought serving food of the student's culture would be a nice gesture, two days in a row to separate cultures.

I'm willing to believe this is possible (the cotton is what makes it implausible IMO). He's still exibiting insane levels of tone deafness.
People with misguided good intentions tend to not get ridiculously defensive when their mistakes are uncovered. They instead apologize for their gross oversight.

The devil doesn't need any more advocates. He's got plenty of supporters giving him power without your help.

I played devils advocate specifically because I've served Mexican to my Mexican friends and kabob to my Iraqi friend. I never once thought that could be considered offensive. /shrug

You cape mighty hard for something you don't agree with, hell of an advocacy

Am I caping for the cotton? He'll no. That was part of the scenario I didn't agree with.

Slayven

I played devils advocate specifically because I've served Mexican to my Mexican friends and kabob to my Iraqi friend. I never once thought that could be considered offensive. /shrug

Once again should the students get over it because your friends didn't seem to have a problem with it?

Aselith

People with misguided good intentions tend to not get ridiculously defensive when their mistakes are uncovered. They instead apologize for their gross oversight.

He's just worried that racists don't have a good defense and felt drawn to help them organize a proper argument. It's chill.

Once again should the students get over it because your friends didn't seem to have a problem with it?

Once again, no. If I thought that way I would be trying to discredit your offense, which I'm not.

in a hypothetical where I did offend somebody, I would hope a discussion would happen and we walk away from the meal closer than before

He's just worried that racists don't have a good defense and felt drawn to help them organize a proper argument. It's chill.

Really?

Enzom21

"I'm not really defending what he did but let me try to defend it because I may have done something similar."
LKMP1uv.gif

Cotton is very common as a decorative item in the South. It is cotton harvesting season now, so lots of fields of cotton are ready to be picked.

I'm from Texas, I've been to plenty of peoples houses. Many in the city, and a whole hell of a lot in the country. From people of all races and backgrounds, and I have never ever seen cotton used to decorate anything. It may be a different experience for you, but in mine....nah.

Slayven

Once again, no. If I thought that way I would be trying to discredit your offense, which I'm not.

in a hypothetical where I did offend somebody, I would hope a discussion would happen and we walk away from the meal closer than before

You are discrediting the students racism

]I don't think the food thing is that big of a deal.[/B] I've served tacos to my Mexican friends and kebab to my Iraqi friend. It's a red flag done in succession like that though. If there's no other red flags you just move on. Dat cotton tho

I did say it was implausible and would require "insane" levels of tone deafness.

I personally would not be offended if he served me spaghetti and my wife plantains, but I agree the meals are pretty thoughtless

Am I caping for the cotton? He'll no. That was part of the scenario I didn't agree with.
For someone that don't agree with it, you are soft selling the hell out of it

That dude needs a career in standup. The thing he describes was racist as fuck, but his delivery of the story was funny as hell. I couldnt stop laughing when he got to the part about his mom lighting them up.

I'm from Texas, I've been to plenty of peoples houses. Many in the city, and a whole hell of a lot in the country. From people of all races and backgrounds, and I have never ever seen cotton used to decorate anything. It may be a different experience for you, but in mine....nah.

Texas isnt the south, least not the "old south". Thats places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennesse, the Carolinas. Texas is more 'the southwest'. I have seen cotton as a decorative item many places in the old south, but never once in Texas.

But yeah this guy should definitely NOT have had a cotton centerpiece out while hosting black students. Jeez.

So why eschew from simply speaking to what you actually believe/think and taking ownership over it? Anything less than that is just wasting people's time. At best, devil's advocating just becomes a variation of standard concern trolling. There's more than enough real people on the other side of the fence we have to worry about without adding in "I don't really believe it" / "just for fun" folks.

Okay the cotton stalks are suspect, but I could see that being some weird Southern thing that I wouldn't know about seeing as I live near Atlanta. The food I would have just written off because those are southern dishes, but with the serving Latino folks tacos the night before? Homeslice knew what the fuck he was doing, get outta here with that shit. This ain't Nancy Drew's Hidden Item Game.

That was my thought also but you seem determined idk

You have called yourself a devil's advocate and said your defense doesn't mean you agree with him so apparently you realize he was wrong but still are going to have a go.

Which begs the question, is it really "devil's advocacy" anymore when you start arguing fervently for the side?

Mahonay

Banned
He was just trying to Make America Great Again. Surprised he didn't offer them to live and work on a plantation he owns.

rudger

That is a big problem with racism, bigtory in this country,to some folks marginalized people's humanity is a thought experiment not something real . But sadly the consequences is all too real.

Why do people play what if when the facts and evidence is there clear as day?

Because it's a forum for discussion and everybody seemed to agree that it was offensive? So what else is there to talk about? Seems like the rest of you just want to find somebody to associate this act with and attack them rather than try having a conversation like an adult.

Oh ok, so you have to serve Nothern food to not be racist. Fair enough.

No just be intelligent enough to realize slave food when you are eating it. No one CHOSE to eat collard greens, pigs feat, oxtail and other scraps. Black People made that shit taste good. You can try to claim it now if you want though.

That was my thought also but you seem determined idk

I'm determined to leave this thread without people making assumptions about me. I can't count how many threads Slayven and I have both been a part of. I was kinda hoping he didn't just assume the worst because of that. I mean, maybe he doesn't recognize me, or recognize me enough ...

You are discrediting the students racism

For someone that don't agree with it, you are soft selling the hell out of it

Dude I'm not trying to soft sell anything, nor am I saying this act isn't racist. In fact, I've said that the inclusion of the cotton almost gaurauntees it is. That's why I asked you a specific hypothetical without the cotton. These thought experiments help me refine my beliefs and actions.

Ashodin

Fenderputty just own up to it man, you might have done something racist. It's not the end of the world, we better ourselves all the time dude

Slayven

I'm determined to leave this thread without people making assumptions about me. I can't count how many threads Slayven and I have both been a part of. I was kinda hoping he didn't just assume the worst because of that. I mean, maybe he doesn't recognize me, or recognize me enough ...

Dude I'm not trying to soft sell anything, nor am I saying this act isn't racist. In fact, I've said that the inclusion of the cotton almost gaurauntees it is. That's why I asked you a specific hypothetical without the cotton. These thought experiments help me refine my beliefs and actions.

Trying to identify with a racist helps you refine your beliefs and actions?

Hey now :p

We Asian people eat that. It's delicious.

Granted it's because people are poor and don't waste.

it's universal, poor people making the nasty part of the animal edible. Shout out to hogmaw, menudo soup, and chitlins.

So why eschew from simply speaking to what you actually believe/think and taking ownership over it? Anything less than that is just wasting people's time. At best, devil's advocating just becomes a variation of standard concern trolling. There's more than enough real people on the other side of the fence we have to worry about without adding in "I don't really believe it" / "just for fun" folks.

I did .... i removed the obviously racist inclusion of cotton and started to discuss the meal only hypothetical. I can see how playing devils advocate can be counterproductive though and probably should have just went direct with the food hypotheticals

Either way, I'm not trying to offend anyone and apologize if I have. Appreciative the responses

Aselith

I did .... i removed the obviously racist inclusion of cotton and started to discuss the meal only hypothetical. I can see how playing devils advocate can be counterproductive though and probably should have just went direct with the food hypotheticals

Either way, I'm not trying to offend anyone and apologize if I have. Appreciative the responses

Why is stripping out the racist parts part of playing devil's advocate? What are you advocating FOR exactly?

Trying to identify with a racist helps you refine your beliefs and actions?

I'm not trying to identify with him, but apparently I've done something he's done that offends others and yeah, that shocked me.

It seems you think I've entered this discussion in bad faith and thats not the case.

Why is stripping out the racist parts part of playing devil's advocate? What are you advocating FOR exactly?

I stated in my first post that the inclusion of the cotton likely means my hypothetical isn't plausible. Meaning it's racist. I'm not actually advocating for anything. I did this because I was more interested in the food aspects and stating the cotton makes the scenario implausible, I hoped, put a larger emphasis on the food when playing. I should have never done that. I should have just started discussing the meal aspects. I muddied the waters

Top Bottom