• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unversity president decorated home with cotton stalks while hosting black students

Wag

This is after he served tacos to the latino students the night before.

edit: he literally did this according to the article! I'm not making a joke

ChuFA9GWwAI4pgQ.jpg

Kelsdesu

This motherfucker. How can any of yall for a second think that shit isnt offensive? Cotton on the table? He may as well have put chains on the goddamn table too.

Also to all of you getting caught up in the semantics of where what originated from; you need to stop because you are actively detailing the disccussion. Those meals are considered staples in the black community and you know it. STOP.

Kinokou

EuropeGaf here, I feel like I'm risking to derail you but Mac and Cheese is just a pure America stereotype to me, so I am a little confused about it now. However on the overall case I trust the majority judgment in the tread.

This kind of shit astounds me. Did no one, at any point, feel any kind of shame during the planning and execution of this?

Blows my damn mind. Not that this dude was racist, but that he'd be so blatant. Hopefully this gets him to reflect and address it.

Alucrid

Banned
EuropeGaf here, I feel like I'm risking to derail you but Mac and Cheese is just a pure America stereotype to me, so I am a little confused about it now. However on the overall case I trust the majority judgment in the tread.

mac and cheese by itself doesn't say much but with collard greens, cornbread and being preceded by latino dinner serving tacos it's very blatant in what it's trying to convey.

IMO the mac & cheese is easily the least problematic part of the dinner and I don't think it would even raise an eyebrow if it was being served with a meal that didn't play so hard into stereotypes. And without the cotton.

Because it's a forum for discussion and everybody seemed to agree that it was offensive? So what else is there to talk about? Seems like the rest of you just want to find somebody to associate this act with and attack them rather than try having a conversation like an adult.

It's not about the position itself, it's about participating in good-faith. Or as the TOS puts it, "don't post disingenuously". You can't have a real discussion/dialogue if one of the parties is just staking out an imaginary position or playing a role for their own motivation/amusement.

Now, based on follow-up posts and general posting history, I don't think Fenderputty was trying to intentionally troll in this manner. But when you start a post with a "devil's advocate" preface and deliberately cut out the most damning racist context of the story, you're going to end up with a pretty bad look no matter what you originally intended. And it's also going to be a bad look if you don't realize why that kind of thing is a bad look in the first place.

I think that the underlying intention was to express something like "Hey, this story made me think of some types of situations that have come up in my own life where I intentionally served ethnic food to people of the matching ethnicity. Could serving Chinese food to Chinese visitors be considered racially insensitive? I'm not decorating the table with Chinese iconography or anything like that guy putting cotton on the table, but I've never really thought about whether this type of meal serving could be seen as racially insensitive/offensive."

That is something you can have an honest dialogue and conversation about, it's just that the execution was very badly botched.

It's not about the position itself, it's about participating in good-faith. Or as the TOS puts it, "don't post disingenuously". You can't have a real discussion/dialogue if one of the parties is just staking out an imaginary position or playing a role for their own motivation/amusement.

Now, based on follow-up posts and general posting history, I don't think Fenderputty was trying to intentionally troll in this manner. But when you start a post with a "devil's advocate" preface and deliberately cut out the most damning racist context of the story, you're going to end up with a pretty bad look no matter what you intended. And it's also going to be a bad look if you don't realize why that kind of thing is a bad look in the first place.

I think that the underlying intention was to express something like "Hey, this story made me think of some types of situations that have come up in my own life where I intentionally served ethnic food to people of the matching ethnicity. Could serving Chinese food to Chinese visitors be considered racially insensitive? I'm not decorating the table with Chinese iconography or anything like that guy putting cotton on the table, but I've never really thought about whether this type of meal serving could be seen as racially insensitive/offensive."

That is something you can have an honest dialogue and conversation about.

This is accurate and again, yes I should have known it was a bad way to address the situation. Again, apologies if I've offended.

NimbusD

Hmm, never knew I ate “black food”. That’s a pretty standard meal in most of the South. I ate all that stuff last week.
Yeah the tacos the night before make everything sound suspect tho. Im down w the explanation that it was all just a multi step brain fart where white people, being white and not having certain experiences, just didn't realize or examine their own actions, but the response to being called out is pretty fucking stupid. You're hosting these students as your guests, you fucking listen when your accomodations make your guests uncomfortable.

He really served tacos to the Latino students? The fuck. If I were there and this motherfucker was serving tacos I'd get irritated.

Dr.Phibes

While this is fucked up it also reminds me of my time as an exchange student in the states. My host mom served me a side of sauerkraut and snack pretzels for dinner the first three days. When I told her that I like sauerkraut but don't need it everyday to function she seemed a little disappointed. This was in VA btw.

jwk94

Hmm, never knew I ate “black food”. That’s a pretty standard meal in most of the South. I ate all that stuff last week.
The meal in itself is fine, but pair it with the centerpiece and the tacos for the Latinos and it because a whole nother thing.

Walshicus

I mean, mac and cheese, collard greens, and corn bread? That sounds like a caricature of a meal that a poor black family ate 50 years ago and not something that people look forward to eating now (could be wrong on that).

My (non-black, English) wife loves that stuff. Like, it'd be her 'you can only eat one meal for the rest of your life' choice.

finowns

Southern Cuisine is black cuisine. Slaves had to cook for the masters AND make the garbage they were given taste good. So many dishes had their roots in slave, African, and Caribbean cooking

That can't be true. For one there couldn't be enough black cooks to cook for every white person in the South. White people must have been cooking. And I imagine every poor person got cheap cuts of meat to cook with.

Slayven

That can't be true. For one there couldn't be enough black cooks to cook for every white person in the South. White people must have been cooking. And I imagine every poor person got cheap cuts of meat to cook with.

No one said they weren't cooking. Maybe what they were cooking wasn't memorable. From Low Country/Gulliah, to the Bayou, black people formed the base of southern cooking. Who think introduced spices and how to use them?

finowns

No one said they weren't cooking. Maybe what they were cooking wasn't memorable. From Low Country/Gulliah, to the Bayou, black people formed the base of southern cooking. Who think introduced spices and how to use them?

It almost certainly would be Native Americans if you were looking for the 'base'.

Slayven

Even the article you posted said that whole animal prep was found all over the world, and the only dishes directly attributed to them is grits and cornbread. I hope you don't think that is the extant of southern food.

Plus you discount the history. even after slavery whites would track down and eat in black places or hire them to do the cooking. Hell not to mention segregation, prohibition, and the Harlem Renascence

besada

Banned
Quit having a dumb argument about who "invented" Southern cuisine. Like most things it was a synthesis of multiple inputs, including European dishes, African cuisine brought by slaves, cuisine invented by slaves, and Native Americans.

If you really need to beat this to death, go start a new thread.

finowns

Even the article you posted said that whole animal prep was found all over the world, and the only dishes directly attributed to them is grits and cornbread. I hope you don't think that is the extant of southern food.

Plus you discount the history. even after slavery whites would track down and eat in black places or hire them to do the cooking. Hell not to mention segregation, prohibition, and the Harlem Renascence

I don't know the specific food you have in mind and I wouldn't deny African Americans impact in that regard anyways. My response was to your original post 'Southern Cuisine is black cuisine' which I disagree with. Historically, I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue with you, I know they must have popularized it with their movements from the South.

Greedings

"What do black folk like?"
"I guess cotton, there was loads of them picking it back in the day, and they did it FOR FREE!"

guggnichso

Banned
Ok, apart from the racist food and whatnot:

Why the fuck is a University president hosting students at his home.

Furthermore, why is a University president hosting student groups at his home where the groups are divided by their skin colour? That alone I would deem racist as shit. „ah, today we have brownish latino students, tomorrow black students, the day after some asian ones... what a life! Now where are those instant ramen...“

The fuck is going on there?

BriGuy

Ok, apart from the racist food and whatnot:

Why the fuck is a University president hosting students at his home.

Furthermore, why is a University president hosting student groups at his home where the groups are divided by their skin colour? That alone I would deem racist as shit. „ah, today we have brownish latino students, tomorrow black students, the day after some asian ones... what a life! Now where are those instant ramen...“

The fuck is going on there?
At my Alma Mater, the president would host students for dinner all the time; honors recipients, athletic and social clubs, and random groups of students who didn't fit in any of the aforementioned groups. Just a way to meet and greet the people forking over tens of thousands of dollars for their education. Nothing weird about it in and of itself.

Top Bottom