• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Customs Are Idiots Case #4302: Mo Farah held on terrorist suspicions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The really sad and horrible reality of the situation is that the only way the TSA is going away at this point is if a terrorist actually gets through their pointless screenings and are proven ineffectual.

That, or it'll just get worse.

My dad accidentally carried a box cutter similar to those used on 9/11 through about a dozen flights last year. Accidentally put it in his metal briefcase long before the trip and shit a brick when he finally found it in his briefcase after his super long business trip.

Aka TSA is a joke.

If Americans cared at all about distance running we'd know who he is. Mo is awesome and this is unfortunate.

I'm American, and into sports. I couldn't name you five non Basketball medalists in the last 5 Olympics combined. I honestly don't know anyone under 50 who gives any shit about the Olympics besides my basketball friends who care just about that, and a few non sports fans who like the weird as fuck opening/closing ceremonies.

i wonder if him living in the US has anything to do with those crazy UK taxes on athletes... i mean, that's why Usain Bolt and many others won't compete there, right?

The really sad and horrible reality of the situation is that the only way the TSA is going away at this point is if a terrorist actually gets through their pointless screenings and are proven ineffectual.

That, or it'll just get worse.

TSA has yet to thwart a terrorist. Passengers have stopped them, though they also are responsible for "That guy has a beard, I want him thrown off the plane." If a terrorists gets by US security and succeeds, expect a level of draconian search and questioning as has never before been seen.

Could TSA not google the guy instead? Pictures, story, all right there from their phones.

In this thread, my fellow countrymen blithely and proudly show their ignorance.

Mo Farah is absolutely one of the most famous athletes in the world.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My mother was held in US customs on her way to visiting my brother in the US, she is a mid fifties white woman with nothing about her in any shape that indicates she is different from anyone else and she was held for 3 hours because the security guard didnt trust her accent.

I understand vigilance, but what they do over there is a joke.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Pray the terrorists never figure out the shifty profiles. If they can recruit a white person with no accent, game over

When he gets to Rosie MacLennan's level of fame then we`ll talk.

Pray the terrorists never figure out the shifty profiles. If they can recruit a white person with no accent, game over

Wouldn`t they just have to troll gaming sites and offer 72 virgins?

Zoe

Could TSA not google the guy instead? Pictures, story, all right there from their phones.

TSA != customs

And I've always been under the impression that the traveler is responsible for proving who they are and what their business is. If customs has to do it, they're gonna take their sweet time.

TSA != customs

And I've always been under the impression that the traveler is responsible for proving who they are and what their business is. If customs has to do it, they're gonna take their sweet time.

My mistake.

If a traveler showing a google search result of 25+ million hits, matching his name and picture, with attendant Olympic medals, isn't good enough identification, the whole process is corrupt.

Although it was stupid that that customs stopped him I don't see how him being an Olympic medalist should change anything. As soon as the Olympics are over very few people remember any athletes except for the Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps of the world.

Kite

My mistake.

If a traveler showing a google search result of 25+ million hits, matching his name and picture, with attendant Olympic medals, isn't good enough identification, the whole process is corrupt.
This is a stupid argument, there are millions of pictures of Hu Jintao, president of the PRC, and his pic has been on tv far longer than any mere olympic athlete. But I wouldn't expect a customs agent to recognize him right off the bat if he ever came through like a regular person without his diplomatic staff.

Dead Man

If Mark Ruffalo can end up on a no fly list, targeting a foreign black man seems par for the course.

And if this was the first time, I could almost understand, but repeat occurrences? Pathetic.

If Mark Ruffalo can end up on a no fly list, targeting a foreign black man seems par for the course.

And if this was the first time, I could almost understand, but repeat occurrences? Pathetic.

What would be the difference between the first time and subsequent time if they're not dealing with the exact same agent?

Dead Man

But how would it be different? If you're ok with the first time, there is no way to beem information into the brain of every person that works in customs.

Computers and networks, how do they work? If the guy has a visa to be in the country, he has a record. There should be no need to detain him, the information should be on the screen when they look him up.

Dude lucked out.

AzfWto_CIAAMMFQ.jpg

Of course they are going to stop the brother.

Computers and networks, how do they work? If the guy has a visa to be in the country, he has a record. There should be no need to detain him, the information should be on the screen when they look him up.

Not all customs are just sitting in front of computers........ He would still have to be stopped so they can check the computer.

Dead Man

Not all customs are just sitting in front of computers........ He would still have to be stopped so they can check the computer.

Have you been through customs at an airport in the US? Where they check your passport? They all have computers. Unless the guy was driving across the border there is no reason besides shoddy systems that information is not available at once.

I'm not saying it was any individuals fault, it is the result of a shitty information system.

Zoe

Have you been through customs at an airport in the US? Where they check your passport? They all have computers. Unless the guy was driving across the border there is no reason besides shoddy systems that information is not available at once.

I'm not saying it was any individuals fault, it is the result of a shitty information system.

The way they do it is once you're on the list, you're always on the list. They're not going to take the chance that being good once will mean that you'll be good forever.

IIRC, you can warn them ahead of time that you'll be passing through so the processing will go faster.

I have but I don't remember computers. My memory could be bad but I don't know if they separate you if you're a US national or not either.

Dead Man

The way they do it is once you're on the list, you're always on the list. They're not going to take the chance that being good once will mean that you'll be good forever.

IIRC, you can warn them ahead of time that you'll be passing through so the processing will go faster.

Okay. What do you think they will be able to determine from detaining that would not already be on a record? Do you think they will be able to determine sudden bomb making skills? It makes no sense. If there is information the guy is a risk, it should be on the record. If there is not, search his bags like every one else (it seems) and let him go on his way.

My dad gets stopped and held every time he goes to th airport. He's an old white guy who looks like Phil Donohue. Nobody knows who Phil Donohue is anymore tho, so this is so unfair.

Okay. What do you think they will be able to determine from detaining that would not already be on a record? Do you think they will be able to determine sudden bomb making skills? It makes no sense. If there is information the guy is a risk, it should be on the record. If there is not, search his bags like every one else (it seems) and let him go on his way.

You don't have any bags at customs except your carry on, you pick up your bags from the conveyor after you leave customs.

Dead Man

You don't have any bags at customs except your carry on, you pick up your bags from the conveyor after you leave customs.

Who do you think searches the bags? At passport control you have no baggage, this is correct. At most airports international travellers do not clear customs until after they have picked up their checked baggage.

If you have no argument other than who searches baggage you should stop.

Who do you think searches the bags? At passport control you have no baggage, this is correct. At most airports international travellers do not clear customs until after they have picked up their checked baggage.

If you have no argument other than who searches baggage you should stop.

I'm just saying you're wrong about that. And I wasn't checked after I got my bags, I handed the completed sheet about whether I had to pay duty on anything and walked through. That's not how they did it NY.

My mom and sister were interrogated for being "rag heads."

My sister was 17 at the time and didn't have consent of my parents.

TSA and Customs are full of shit here.

Zoe

My dad gets stopped and held every time he goes to th airport. He's an old white guy who looks like Phil Donohue. Nobody knows who Phil Donohue is anymore tho, so this is so unfair.

Are you Irish by any chance? A friend gets stopped every time because he shares a common name with an IRA terrorist.

Slavik81

Are you Irish by any chance? A friend gets stopped every time because he shares a common name with an IRA terrorist.
Last time I went through, there was a place on the customs form to reference a mistaken identity case number to resolve those sorts of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom