• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobbFC09

Landon rocking the shades!
ix8kSpghnwQMl.gif

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 14m

USA-Honduras is the early match on Wednesday night in Dallas, 7pm. Mexico-Panama is the 10pm match.

oh thank god

CORNBALLER WHERE ARE MY LINKS

Toothpick

Full highlights vs ES here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPDnUil75c

What a match, really bummed I only got to see the last 15 minutes of it. I'm getting really excited for those WCQ matches in the future!
that was hilarious!

man, what a fun game to watch. this team is dominating this tournament. I hope we get to play Mexico.
I've watched all the Mexico matches and they've been playing horribly this whole tournament. They're playing with the reserve team as well but they are so bad it is frustrating to watch (mexican-american here lol). I can't see an outcome where USA doesn't come out on top with an easy win. This USA squad is on another level, I hope they take it!

Nyx

Anyone seen Rubio Rubin play?

1jMsc5.AuSt_.69.1_0.jpeg

He's going to sign a contract at FC Utrecht when he turns 18 in March 2014, so I'm pretty anxious to know if he's as big a talent as some sites say he is...

- Galarcep's project lineup for tomorrow's game
———–Chris Wondolowski————-Landon Donovan——————

Eddie Johnson—————–Stuart Holden———————–Joe Corona

———————————Kyle Beckerman———————————-

DaMarcus Beasley——————————————-Michael Parkhurst

——————-Matt Besler—————Omar Gonzalez———————

———————————-Nick Rimando————————————-

Some thoughts:

I know Wondolowski didn’t have his best game against El Salvador, but he did a lot of the dirty work that Klinsmann likes and feels he needs at that position. Wondolowski can provide a good target option for Johnson and Donovan to run off of, and he can look to physically wear down the Honduran defense before being replaced in the second half by a speedier option like Brek Shea.

Eddie Johnson should start, whether it’s at forward or on the left wing. Truth is, if he is deployed on the left, we can expect this formation to play like a 4-3-3 at times, with Johnson and Donovan on either side of Wondolowski, and with Holden and Corona working as the front of an inverted diamond.

The central midfield is a tough one, with Mix Diskerud playing well vs. El Salvador, and with Kyle Beckerman being so key for the team’s ability to keep the ball. It should be noted that Honduras has a much better midfield than El Salvador, and the Catrachos’ high work rate in the middle leads me to see Holden getting the nod over Diskerud, who is coming along well, but who still lacks a little in the box-to-box coverage department.

Defensively, Klinsmann isn’t bringing in Omar Gonzalez to sit on the bench, so unless Besler is injured (which seems to be what some think might be the case), we should see Gonzalez and Besler. Now, if Besler is, in fact, injured, I think we’d more likely see a Gonzalez-Orozco pairing than Gonzalez-Goodson, just from a style-pairing standpoint.

Anyone seen Rubio Rubin play?

1jMsc5.AuSt_.69.1_0.jpeg

He's going to sign a contract at FC Utrecht when he turns 18 in March 2014, so I'm pretty anxious to know if he's as big a talent as some sites say he is...
I saw a little of him on tv vs Brazil in some U17 tournament last year. Certainly not enough to develop a good feel for what he brings to the table, but it's good to see another exciting prospect out there.

Speaking of which, Sciaretta wrote an article on Julian Green for American Soccer Now. No word if he'll play for the US, but it sounds like he's leaning that way.

Clydefrog

We’ve switched our CB pairing so much this tournament. Bringing in Gonzales to switch it up yet again just gives me that nervy feeling. I’d feel comfortable with Besler – Gonzales though.

Also, how much of an away game will this one be for us? Dallas doesn’t seem like a hotbed of pro-USA supporters.

- Carlisle: U.S. domination entertaining but not without caveats

We’ve switched our CB pairing so much this tournament. Bringing in Gonzales to switch it up yet again just gives me that nervy feeling. I’d feel comfortable with Besler – Gonzales though.
Besler and Gonzalez have played together enough that I don't think it'll be a problem aside from Gonzo occasionally falling asleep on the job.
Also, how much of an away game will this one be for us? Dallas doesn’t seem like a hotbed of pro-USA supporters.
From what I've heard, the crowd will be primarily pro-Mexico, so it might not be that full when the US-Honduras match starts. I don't think the crowd will be as much of an issue as Sunday's game.

Nesotenso

Grant Wahl has been tweeting pictures of the makeshift pitch at Cowboys stadium and it looks terrible. I wish more NFL teams used Desso Grassmaster like the Broncos and the Packers. Good enough for Wembley and lets you host soccer games.

Grant Wahl has been tweeting pictures of the makeshift pitch at Cowboys stadium and it looks terrible. I wish more NFL teams used Desso Grassmaster like the Broncos and the Packers. Good enough for Wembley and lets you host soccer games.

Yeah that stuff looks bad. Here's hoping there aren't any injuries as a result.

While I was out of town, I watched the game, and I'm ready to accept my comeuppance over my Eddie smack talk. Especially if that game got him back on form for the Sounders

Sky Chief

Is anyone else going to the Semifinals tomorrow at Cowboys Stadium? I have first row seats in Section C210 right at midfield, first row of the club level. I'm starting to get pretty excited!

Is anyone else going to the Semifinals tomorrow at Cowboys Stadium? I have first row seats in Section C210 right at midfield, first row of the club level. I'm starting to get pretty excited!

Haven't seen the guys play ever in person. They rarely come to the southeast. It's on my sports bucket list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom