• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

What time is the game tomorrow exactly for Pacific time? ABC.com, espn, and tvguide are all giving me different answers.

Korey said:
What time is the game tomorrow exactly for Pacific time? ABC.com, espn, and tvguide are all giving me different answers.

Live coverage starts at 1:30pm est, with the kick-off at 2:30pm est iirc. Should be 11:30am kick off time for you.

daoster

Who's going to AT&T Park tomorrow? I'm gonna get so hammered on the train on the way to SF tomorrow...

Some links:

BBC Video: Harkes Warns US of England Threat (how the HELL can anybody have an interview with those vuvuzuelas going off)

England is the 'easiest match' for the U.S.
Jonathan Spector trolling the English said:
It's our easiest match because there is no pressure on us to win.

Not-so-great Expectations
No one has dared to suggest this U.S. team has come to South Africa to take home the trophy. No one ever does, and that just might be part of the problem for Team U.S.A.

NoRéN

No one has dared to suggest this U.S. team has come to South Africa to take home the trophy. No one ever does, and that just might be part of the problem for Team U.S.A.
Well, that's the ignorant type of journalism we have to ignore. Problem? Not at all. No pressure.
Seriously, US journalism seems to work like this: "Durr, we don't care bout no soccer. Oh, but the team we ignore is in the World Cup Finals? Then they better win!!!"

daoster

NoRéN said:
Well, that's the ignorant type of journalism we have to ignore. Problem? Not at all. No pressure.
Seriously, US journalism seems to work like this: "Durr, we don't care bout no soccer. Oh, but the team we ignore is in the World Cup Finals? Then they better win!!!"

I didn't find the article really ignorant, just something interesting to think about. Though Bruce Arena was fairly arrogant after the Mexico win in 2002, and that didn't help us much against Germany.

And as far as U.S. journalism and soccer go, are you kidding me? Every major news outlet I've seen has been talking about the World Cup and US Soccer non-stop! WSJ has a whole section on their front page about the World Cup and numerous articles about the team we all hold dear to our hearts!

NoRéN

daoster said:
I didn't find the article really ignorant, just something interesting to think about. Though Bruce Arena was fairly arrogant after the Mexico win in 2002, and that didn't help us much against Germany.

And as far as U.S. journalism and soccer go, are you kidding me? Every major news outlet I've seen has been talking about the World Cup and US Soccer non-stop! WSJ has a whole section on their front page about the World Cup and numerous articles about the team we all hold dear to our hearts!
Yes, they talk about the Yanks when? Every four years! Yeah, articles left and right. Other than that, not much. The USMNT goes ignored. Well, except for the occasional article when something big happens(Confed Cup v. Spain). So, it just sets up expectations without looking at the big picture.
US lost 1-0 to germany. And, the link to the video has been posted plenty of times, that match could have been alot different.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Pretty hard to get excited when you have 0-0 and 1-1 ties. I just don't think I'll ever be able to get into this sport. More power to the people who enjoy it.

xbhaskarx

Crisis said:
I can't believe he didn't get banned for that.

check again
2a21w7.gif

<3 new mods

Cooter said:
Pretty hard to get excited when you have 0-0 and 1-1 ties. I just don't think I'll ever be able to get into this sport. More power to the people who enjoy it.

Don't give up yet. This is just the group stage, things heat up when it's score or go home. Also the US v Engerland match tomorrow should be fucking epic!

painey

Cooter said:

Unfortunately this is the American mentality. The group is perfectly poised for one or even both of the smaller teams to make huge upsets and progress, but the American thinking is that no-one was declared a winner of these two games and therefore its boring.

daoster

NoRéN said:
Yes, they talk about the Yanks when? Every four years! Yeah, articles left and right. Other than that, not much. The USMNT goes ignored. Well, except for the occasional article when something big happens(Confed Cup v. Spain). So, it just sets up expectations without looking at the big picture.
US lost 1-0 to germany. And, the link to the video has been posted plenty of times, that match could have been alot different.

To be fair, in between the World Cup, there's not much happening for the Yanks! What are the media suppose to be writing about? There's increased focus during the Gold Cup and maybe as qualifiers come around, but there's not much to write about in between those (and Gold Cup isn't nearly as exciting as the actual World Cup or the Euro Cup).

Anyways, an interview with USSF President Sunil Gulati:

Can the U.S. be a Soccer Nation?

Sunil Gulati said:
The English media didn't think we could put on the World Cup. The English media don't think our team is that good. But they don't know.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
how much do i want to see this game?

i'm missing the wedding ceremony of a best friend to watch the game on a giant-ass TV screen with some brews.

i'll head to the reception dinner later that night and pretend i was there :)

Went into a Dunkin Donuts with my US jersey on and got a nice "can't wait to see you guys lose tomorrow!" from the guy at the counter. Dude, just give me my chocolate glazed donut.

NoRéN

painey said:
Unfortunately this is the American mentality. The group is perfectly poised for one or even both of the smaller teams to make huge upsets and progress, but the American thinking is that no-one was declared a winner of these two games and therefore its boring.
Yeah, after today, this group is well set up for a dramatic Matchday 3. South Africa we'll be full of believe gong into the match against Uruguay while Mexico will be looking to get past today's disappointment. And France...well, they have to show that all that talent is not going to waste. This group will be entertaining.

painey said:

As an American, I thought the South Africa match was fun and a good game, whereas the France-Uruguay match was boring as all hell. Is that wrong? Was I missing some compelling, edge-of-your-seat soccer in the France-Uruguay game?

I don't mind ties that much. Shootouts are the thing I cannot abide by. Especially when crowning a champion.

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
Went into a Dunkin Donuts with my US jersey on and got a nice "can't wait to see you guys lose tomorrow!" from the guy at the counter. Dude, just give me my chocolate glazed donut.
:lol
My girlfriend works at American Apparel. Despite the name, lots of, not-so-legal people work in the factory. She gets trash talked all the time. Never understood that mentality. "YAY! Let's watch US lose!"

Gamecocks625 said:
In Columbia? No fucken way

Korey

Gamecocks625 said:
Was the guy at the counter not American? Doesn't make sense.

NoRéN

scorcho said:
how much do i want to see this game?

i'm missing the wedding ceremony of a best friend to watch the game on a giant-ass TV screen with some brews.

i'll head to the reception dinner later that night and pretend i was there :)
Just walk in and be like, "Damn! What a wedding! My favorite part was when you said I do!"

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
painey said:

As an American, I don't care what you think!

As for the game, I'm with Jozy. 3-0 USA!

painey said:

why is it OK for people to make generalizations about Americans? This shit gets old.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx
Banned
(Today, 06:29 PM)
Reply | Quote

Uh oh!

Daoster, make sure to take pics tomorrow. I'm really interested in seeing what it's like. Is it a US fans thing you're attending or an open public venue like a bar or ESPNzone?

daoster

NoRéN said:
xbhaskarx
Banned
(Today, 06:29 PM)
Reply | Quote

Uh oh!

Daoster, make sure to take pics tomorrow. I'm really interested in seeing what it's like. Is it a US fans thing you're attending or an open public venue like a bar or ESPNzone?

What the hell? How'd he get banned!

Yeah, I'll take some pics...And I'm going to assume that this will be open to the public, as I just found out of the event (through this topic) a week ago, but this thing is probably specifically for the England game.

NoRéN

Don't know what happened.Tried to look in the WC thread.

Man, Had to look real hard but
, taken from the OP
xbhaskarx said:
World Cup History
by NoRéN
Yeah, i provided some some the info for the thread. Alot of stuff I did was not even used. Long overdue shout out to artoo, junior member that helped me out with the stuff.

Cool. By where I live(Los Angeles, not much going on. I know ESPNzone is showing the games but I was listening to ESPNRadio in spanish in the moring while going to get donuts and coffee and they were mentioning the ESPNzone thing. Later, I went to the market(hispanic market) and overheard some people mentioning going to ESPNzone to make fun of the gringos when they lose.

NoRéN

gray_fox224 said:
Where will you be posting when the game starts? Here or the WC thread?
probably here. No need for the US haters. What about you, Daoster? Will you be posting live from AT&T park?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gotta rub it in the Euros' faces as it's happening. It's like MMA: The U.S. goals will rock them and knock them on their asses, and then we come in with a flurry of insults to knock them out and finish the fight before they even have a chance to breathe and get their bearings about them.

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
Gotta rub it in the Euros' faces as it's happening. It's like MMA: The U.S. goals will rock them and knock them on their asses, and then we come in with a flurry of insults to knock them out and finish the fight before they even have a chance to breathe and get their bearings about them.
:lol

timetokill said:
As an American, I thought the South Africa match was fun and a good game, whereas the France-Uruguay match was boring as all hell. Is that wrong? Was I missing some compelling, edge-of-your-seat soccer in the France-Uruguay game?

No. I'm an American, and I have a passing interest in soccer, and quite frankly that France-Uruguay game was a piece of shit.

daegan

So much hype right now. This is like christmas when I was 8. It might be better; I didn't get to watch grown men get pissed at christmas :D

IT IS FINALLY HERE

NoRéN

Unknown Soldier said:
No. I'm an American, and I have a passing interest in soccer, and quite frankly that France-Uruguay game was a piece of shit.
Nothing wrong with that. it was. But, the 2nd games of the group will show who was to blame for the boredom(I'm guessing France).

Atlagev

Unknown Soldier said:

That's the thing about soccer. It's like any other sport. There are good games, bad games, awesome games, boring games, epic games, and shitty games.

Sometimes a game just isn't good.

I think tomorrow will be epic, though. :D

Atlagev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom