• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

the team buses

261dttk.jpg

xbhaskarx

Some World Cup trivia:

- Which national team recorded the first shutout in World Cup history?

- The United States, defeating Belgium 3–0 at the 1930 World Cup.

- Which player scored the first hat-trick in World Cup history?

- Bert Patenaude of the United States, beating Paraguay 3-0 at the 1930 World Cup.

- What is the best ever World Cup finish for a team outside South America and Europe?

- Team USA, third place at the 1930 World Cup.

Never played Soccer, never watched soccer..till about 2/1.5 years ago..and WOW I love it now!

My son who has been playing soccer since he was 4 and is now on a very succesfull U8 team really got me into the sport lol.
We started watch MLS last year and he started playing/asking me to play FIFA with him..now were both hooked!

We cant really follow "world" soccer since were still novice in the proffesional sport, all the leagues and not knowing all the players confuses us, but we have become hardcore MLS fans.

The best thing is, just as we got obsessed with soccer are city got an expansion MLS team, the Philadelphia Union :D It was the coolest thing ever! One second we were nooby fans the next second we actually had a home team!

So far in this expansion season for are local team we have..
1. Gone to the Home opener, we saw them play DC United in Licoln Financial (Eagles field)
2. Saw there second home game
3. Spent $100's of dollars on scarffs, shirts, flag on the house lol
4. Bought tickets to see them play Manchester United
5. Just bought tickets for the next game vs. the Galaxy as my sons Bday present

We want to go to the home stadium opener on the 25th, but sadly its the same day my son has a U8 tourney game in Wildwood New Jersey :C

But yep, we will be tuning into every US game, we are pro/WC noobies but were super excited and ready to cheer!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Scorcho are you going to that bar to watch the U.S. game? Imagine the atmosphere is going to be awesome . . . if you can get in.

Yeah the atmosphere in that place will be amazing for sure.......

I will be in Buffalo Wild Wings w/ around 50+ American Outlaws.... we got the place :)

ESPN2 is airing '2010 FIFA World Cup Preview' at 7pm EST(1 hour from now), with the D.C. United v Seattle Sounders FC game coming on directly afterward(10pm EST).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sw33tclyde said:
ESPN2 is airing '2010 FIFA World Cup Preview' at 7pm EST(1 hour from now), with the D.C. United v Seattle Sounders FC game coming on directly afterward(10pm EST).
Thanks, DVRing. Three hours long? Wow.

daoster

Words really can't describe the feeling of anticipation right now, not only for the US Game on Saturday, but for the World Cup in general...E3? What's that???

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/blog?entryID=5273023&name=worldcup2010blog&cc=5901&ver=us

JOHANNESBURG -- Carlos Eugenio Simon is a piece of work.

Last season, the Brazilian referee was suspended for the final six weeks of the domestic season by the Brazilian federation. Why? Because he had committed "a repetition of mistakes" ... plus they had reason to believe he was complicit in bribery. And he was thought to be incompetent, too -- so incompetent, in fact, that one Brazilian club president called him a "crook, a scoundrel and a shameless b-----d ... he must be in someone's pocket," according to The Guardian. Another chief complaint is the flurry of spurious red cards emerging from his breast pocket.

Oh, and did I mention he'll be refereeing England-USA on Saturday?

(more at the link)

Atlagev

daoster said:
Words really can't describe the feeling of anticipation right now, not only for the US Game on Saturday, but for the World Cup in general...E3? What's that???

I think that's the site where you can watch the World Cup games online, isn't it?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Harkes is even worse

I think Lalas is okay...Harkes makes me laugh because he's so...lame...I shed a tear for Eric Wynalda no longer being on ESPN...who else, while still being employed by ESPN, would tell Jim Rome, one of ESPN's more popular personalities, to suck his dick and threaten to club his ass!

I wish I had FSC just to enjoy Eric Wynalda again!

Atlagev said:
I think that's the site where you can watch the World Cup games online, isn't it?

Ah, so E3 stands for ESPN3! Gotcha! :D :D

xbhaskarx

Mandela inspires Freeman to join US World Cup bid

Morgan Freeman, the actor who played former South African president Nelson Mandela in the story about South Africa winning the 2005 rugby World Cup "Invictus", was announced on Thursday as the newest member of the US 2018-2022 World Cup bid committee board of directors.

The 73-year-old Academy Award winning actor received his fifth Oscar nomination for portraying Mandela early in his presidency, focusing on his support of the South African rugby team that won the World Cup on home soil.

Freeman, who won the best supporting actor Oscar for 'Million Dollar Baby' directed by Clint Eastwood who was also the director of 'Invictus', said that Mandela, who will be at Friday's opening ceremony in Johannesburg, had inspired him to take up the challenge.

"As Mandela once said, 'Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, the power to unite that little else has," Freeman said.
"I've seen the power that sport, and in particular soccer, can have on individuals around the world. That's why I'm honored to represent and support the United States."

Pkm said:
Never played Soccer, never watched soccer..till about 2/1.5 years ago..and WOW I love it now!

My son who has been playing soccer since he was 4 and is now on a very succesfull U8 team really got me into the sport lol.
We started watch MLS last year and he started playing/asking me to play FIFA with him..now were both hooked!

We cant really follow "world" soccer since were still novice in the proffesional sport, all the leagues and not knowing all the players confuses us, but we have become hardcore MLS fans.

The best thing is, just as we got obsessed with soccer are city got an expansion MLS team, the Philadelphia Union :D It was the coolest thing ever! One second we were nooby fans the next second we actually had a home team!

So far in this expansion season for are local team we have..
1. Gone to the Home opener, we saw them play DC United in Licoln Financial (Eagles field)
2. Saw there second home game
3. Spent $100's of dollars on scarffs, shirts, flag on the house lol
4. Bought tickets to see them play Manchester United
5. Just bought tickets for the next game vs. the Galaxy as my sons Bday present

We want to go to the home stadium opener on the 25th, but sadly its the same day my son has a U8 tourney game in Wildwood New Jersey :C

But yep, we will be tuning into every US game, we are pro/WC noobies but were super excited and ready to cheer!

Good to hear you support your local team.

There are too many people that scoff at MLS, because supposedly, the english league is so amazing. Yeah, because watching the same 4 teams win is extremely exciting. The best part of course, is supporting a home team, something you cant get if your home team is across the ocean.

That being said, I suggest you watch as much of the world cup as possible, not just the US games. I suggest games involving Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Argentina and Germany

I suggest avoiding games involving england and the netherlands, unless they have a good opponent, because their style of play could put the sun to sleep.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
World Cup 2010: Into Africa - Two Teams, One Cup
John Oliver visits the US World Cup training camp as the team prepares to play its first match against England. (06:01)

For some reason the link isn't working but the video is there.

hurrhurr

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Mindlog said:
We need a new mascot. Yanks is ok, but Great Satans would be great.

I nominate this guy. Bonus - USA USA USA chant included.

I'm rooting for Honduras as well- I hope they make the 2nd round.

hey, what's the deal with that Kobra Kai soccer emblem i keep seeing when US Soccer is mentioned? probably been posted here but thread was tldnr.
Home20Page20-20US20Soccer20Logo.gif

will support any team with an awesome logo like that, but that's not the official one me thinks?

xbhaskarx

keyboardcat said:
will support any team with an awesome logo like that, but that's not the official one me thinks?

It's in the OP, and discussed near the top of this very page (13)... it's not the official logo, but it's the one many USMNT fans prefer. It was created by Nike sometime before the previous World Cup.

xbhaskarx said:
It's in the OP, and discussed near the top of this very page (13)... it's not the official logo, but it's the one many USMNT fans prefer. It was created by Nike sometime before the previous World Cup.

ah, my bad, will read through the OP again.

New Zealand ftw, but in the extremely unlikely event that the kiwi's can't beat Spain in the final I'm all for the US team! Go you crazy yanks!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
keyboardcat said:
hey, what's the deal with that Kobra Kai soccer emblem i keep seeing when US Soccer is mentioned? probably been posted here but thread was tldnr.

I think the logo goes back to revolutionary times when the strength of the colonies was represented as a snake

keyboardcat said:

Almost identical to my MLS home team lol

philadelphia-union-s.png

JUNGITE aut PERITE!!! JOIN or DIE!!

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
By the way, it may not be the official logo, but it is present on the inside of the current USMNT jersey:

The snake (not that exact logo) is also behind the USA patch on that Jersey (with the words DTOM).

Bad ass!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom