• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristam

Fisticuffs said:
why is it OK for people to make generalizations about Americans? This shit gets old.

I'm an American and I get annoyed enough by the typical American mentality toward soccer that I don't even take issue with the generalizations anymore. Cooter also argued something to the effect that Americans are naturally more athletic than anyone else in the world and so would automatically dominate soccer if it was the most popular sport here (ignoring the fact that soccer requires much more than just athleticism), Another American guy said that catching a 60-meter pass with your hands is more difficult than catching a 60-meter pass with your feet.

One scoreless game and he comes in to troll about how he can sadly never get into this game where people get excited over draws.

Seanspeed

Banned
So far, nobody *expected* to win have won, so.........

.........I think the US have a good chance either way. Just like us, England blow hot and cold. We just need the temperatures to swing the right way when it counts.

I just hope the game is good. First two games were somewhat anticlimactic.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What happened to xbhaskarx?

Also today is the day, 5 hours ish from now :D. I read a great article in the newspaper today that was about how most English supporters are finding reasons why we cant win anything, rather than looking at the potential we have. Rooney is approaching his peak, our back 4 is as solid as you could want in any world cup team and Gerrard is a great captain. I must admit after reading it im strangely alot more confident about our ability to get a result than i was yesterday. Either way it will be a good game i think, too much passion involved for it to just drift by.

Id wish you all good luck but ya know :D i do hope you get out of the group though, ill be rooting for you against Algeria and Slovenia

Judderman

drawer by drawer
BCkzO.jpg

:D :D :D

Atlagev

Mr Cola said:
What happened to xbhaskarx?

Also today is the day, 5 hours ish from now :D. I read a great article in the newspaper today that was about how most English supporters are finding reasons why we cant win anything, rather than looking at the potential we have. Rooney is approaching his peak, our back 4 is as solid as you could want in any world cup team and Gerrard is a great captain. I must admit after reading it im strangely alot more confident about our ability to get a result than i was yesterday. Either way it will be a good game i think, too much passion involved for it to just drift by.

Id wish you all good luck but ya know :D i do hope you get out of the group though, ill be rooting for you against Algeria and Slovenia

All smack-talk aside, I hope the same for you. England is usually my "second team" (premier league taught me the sport, love England as a country, I have a great time there whenever I visit). It's just we *really*, *really*, *really*, *really*, want to beat you. :D

Atlagev

Judderman said:
3Iofp.jpg

Either a subtle troll, or we still can't grasp the whole Brit/English thing.
:lol :lol :lol

Like I said, we're doing it on purpose now. I sure hope we beat Team U.K. today!!!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Atlagev said:
All smack-talk aside, I hope the same for you. England is usually my "second team" (premier league taught me the sport, love England as a country, I have a great time there whenever I visit). It's just we *really*, *really*, *really*, *really*, want to beat you. :D
Alot of the good natured banter gets lost in translation, adn alot is smothered by extremists on either end but yeah its all just a case of temporary insane rivalry for 2 days then things are back to normal :D

mil6es

good luck team USA, u'll need it :D

to much underdog syndrome going on in this thread, remember you dont have france or spain to help you this time so I dont fancy your chances

Sage00

Once And Future Member
mil6es said:
lol no you still lose just out of being to crap to qualify
Because we actually have to play decent teams to qualify like Holland and Norway instead of El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago. :lol

jamieson87 said:
As a Scot, I was going to root for USA.

This "Brits" ignorant nonscence has annoyed me.

C'mon England.

Yeah you think they would have noticed that Britain has multiple teams after the Ireland-France controversy.

dont kill me

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Guys in the other thread said game was always scheduled for 2:30/11:30 but everything I've seen leading up had it on at 10:30 PST. What gives?

Cooter said:
Guys in the other thread said game was always scheduled for 2:30/11:30 but everything I've seen leading up had it on at 10:30 PST. What gives?

I think (but don't hold me to it) television coverage starts an hour before game time. The game starts at 2:30 EST according to fifa.com.

Heretic

It's almost time, Gentlemen. Today we show them that's it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog!

USA!
USA!
USA!

LET'S DO THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Let's do this shit, baby!

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lalas saying the U.S. did nothing to deserve a goal. What a maroon. You're not getting the coaching job Lalas so stfu already. I thought they played great after allowing that weirdo goal where like 5 people could have been blamed. Goal was fortunate but they weren't trying to pepper Green b/c they thought he was a great keeper.

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
Lalas saying the U.S. did nothing to deserve a goal. What a maroon. You're not getting the coaching job Lalas so stfu already. I thought they played great after allowing that weirdo goal where like 5 people could have been blamed. Goal was fortunate but they weren't trying to pepper Green b/c they thought he was a great keeper.
It's cuz he's not being paid by USMNT.
Lalas for LA Galaxy: Galaxy is World Class brand
Lalas for USMNT: US does not deserve goal(...cuz it was better than mine)

Mr Cola

Well done USgaf, i wont go into who did better or deserved what, i think it ended about even personally, no team seemed to deserve more than a point, and i think it would have been harsh if we scored late and scraped 3.

Now lets join hands and watch the awfulness of Algeria Slovenia tomorrow :D

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Mr Cola said:
Well done USgaf, i wont go into who did better or deserved what, i think it ended about even personally, no team seemed to deserve more than a point, and i think it would have been harsh if we scored late and scraped 3.

Now lets join hands and watch the awfulness of Algeria Slovenia tomorrow :D

Let's just hope that ends in a draw too or we both have a slightly bigger hill to climb :D

NoRéN

From the WC thread:
Bootaaay said:
Our media may be cocky and arrogant, but they certainly don't speak for the whole nation, and anyways, when it comes to obnoxious, antagonistic and arrogant fans, the USA has us beat hands-down this year. If anything, it's got me more pumped up for the match. A few weeks ago I was cautiosly optimistic, but fearful of embarassment against the underdog, now i'm just hoping we give your lot the drubbing their fans deserve.

From BBC

Gary Lineker | Former England striker and BBC television host said:
Don’t be fooled - the USA do not have strength in depth and rely way too much on Landon Donovan.
The England players and coaching staff must be very pleased. It’s a fantastic draw for England, to be perfectly honest.

kIdMuScLe

I'll take it... good game. fuck i was screaming at the top of my lungs when altidore shot was blocked by the stupid goal post! donovan looked great and especially Fundley. And lastly... where was Hercules?

Slizz

I really didn't want a loss against England, I felt if that happened we would have been behind the 8-ball no matter what. Good game, the main point I took from it is we actually played DECENT in the FIRST game of the World Cup, which is unheard of. Awful D will cost us a game though.

US and soccer is kind of an enigma, it seems we all love it when big tournaments come around but other times it just fades away from the spotlight. This could be the most captain obvious statement of all time but this England match and a good showing the rest of the way will do huge things for US soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom