• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA National Wrestling Team banned from 2017 World Cup in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.flowrestling.org/article...-from-the-2017-world-cup-by-iran#.WJShF1MrLcs

When President Donald Trump signed an executive order limiting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries that included Iran, the Iranian government stated it would be taking "proportionate legal action" and "reciprocal measures" toward the United States. The brunt of Iran's response is being felt in the wrestling community after the country banned American wrestlers on Friday from competing in the 2017 Freestyle World Cup in Kermanshah, Iran, on February 16-17.

I find it a shame, as the Iranian and US wrestlers are very close, and Iran is very proud of their wrestling.

cordy

Banned
Iran shooting on the US
B6B36dI.gif

Ashes

Banned
You all seem to be stuck in the short term. This is kinda scary. It always starts with the little things.

I can only imagine spending a year of your life training for this meet, then watching the news coverage of Trump's EO like

post-65857-bart-and-lisa-screaming-gif-im-fo5W.gif

You all seem to be stuck in the short term. This is kinda scary. It always starts with the little things.
Well who the hell started it?? Yeah the dog shit running the United States of America did.

Just because I'm American does not mean I'm going to stick up for the US because of "America murica America". I don't play that game.

Zaventem

I've heard of Iran's backlash, but what about the other countries responses to this? Anyways i don't know what the hell Donald Trump was expecting except retaliation.

"Iran bans wrestling team at World Cup! They are just mad because we have best wrestling with WWE. I would match McMahon over Iran anyday."

Future tweet from the President

Good job, Iran. I support this. I may be American, but I don't think we have a right to push around any country as we please. Happy to see Iran fighting back.

RMI

Banned
This sucks for the wrestlers. Can't blame Iran, but this type of escalation/retribution plays directly into Trumps hands. It's a lose-lose.

iammeiam

This sucks for the wrestlers. Can't blame Iran, but this type of escalation/retribution plays directly into Trumps hands. It's a lose-lose.

I think I disagree; the idea of Iran responding with a ban of their own was met with shrugs by many because "who was going to go there anyway? No loss."

Anything that draws attention to the fact that cutting the US off from these other countries does have reach into mundane matters is good IMO.

Pedrito

"Iran bans wrestling team at World Cup! They are just mad because we have best wrestling with WWE. I would match McMahon over Iran anyday."

Future tweet from the President

It wouldn't surprised my if Trump didn't know there's an actual sport called "wresting" and he thought it was WWE wrestlers being banned,

Ashes

Banned
I think I disagree; the idea of Iran responding with a ban of their own was met with shrugs by many because "who was going to go there anyway? No loss."

Anything that draws attention to the fact that cutting the US off from these other countries does have reach into mundane matters is good IMO.

There will inevitably be a snowballing effect.

rjinaz

Schattenjäger;229644223 said:
Maybe Iran is trying to catch up to the USA in total 1st place finishes

Or or maybe they are just rightfully upset that the US is banning their citizens for no good reason and reciprocated in kind. Though that's definitely a good Trumpish response. He should go with that.

SerTapTap

People still don't seem to understand this muslim ban is a huge international incident that's bringing our relationships with a lot of nations back decades.

Can't blame them at all for this, hope people start to realize what a problem this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom