• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vagrant Story |OT| Finest game in all of Valendia

I once bought the physical copy on eBay a couple of years back. But I also bought pretty much every Working Designs game at the same time, so this got put on the back burner and eventually sold before I put more than 30 minutes into it. Will jump back in at some point.

A question, though. I will get the 50% off voucher with my Premium edition of Tactics Ogre. Is that only good at the EU Playstation Store? If so, is the price higher in Euro land to start with?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
h3ro said:
<3

Finally.

m2coM.gif
This logo represented so much quality. Miss it.

Now that we have Xenogears and VS, all we're missing now from their high-profile RPG stable is Chrono Cross.

I'm not going to start the game yet, but I played the beginning just to see how it is and wow this game has one of the best beginnings in a JRPG. It's so well made.

Tguy said:
I'm not going to start the game yet, but I played the beginning just to see how it is and wow this game has one of the best beginnings in a JRPG. It's so well made.

It's also the only game I know that
resolves a twist by not resolving anything at all.
Yet it all makes perfect sense.

Yaweee

Tguy said:

It's the power of Matsuno. All 4 (sadly) of the games he had a significant hand in have great openings.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
A decade later and I would still love for an MGS-esque action experience within this game world. What a wonderfully crafted prologue chapter...that turns into a tedious game. Oh god the forest maze. :/

(I've always found the underlying math, crafting, and statistical systems -needlessly- obtuse and certainly never user friendly...or fun, which they sadly could have been).

I'll see how it favors after so many years, as I just transferred to my Go.

Mobius 1

Y2Kev said:
Make SURE you watch the opening cinematic.

Indeed. And it's not the CGI movie, it's the real-time cinematic that plays if leave it alone once you reach the menu with options (New Game, Continue, etc).

Also, I found it that the PS3's smoothing does a disservice to the graphics in this game. Much care was put into it, don't make it blurry. Go with all original settings.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only thing I did not like about VS was the randomness of the leveling up stats. I got used to having 8 weapons for 8 types of enemies, even named them according to their affinity (ghost buster, beast killer, dragon slayer, etc). The other issue was that the last boss.....
Guildenstern?
was a cheap bastard. He had an ultimate attack that if you didn't block it at the right timing, you died. I think I ended up cheating against him and I didn't feel very bad about it. Everything else is ace.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm surprised that this is just 97 mb. o_O

Anyway, i've been waiting a long time to play this game. I remember reading about it in Expert Gamer back in the day, and it sounded so amazing. I could never find a copy of it though.

LProtag

Ahhh! This or Xenogears, this or Xenogears... Why did all the stuff I want have to get released so closely together?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I love how cinematic this game was back then. I was going crazy over this cause I was like "holy shit next gen RPGs are going to be awesome!".

Never finished though. Got to the part with the green dragon in the forest and my weapon sucked against him and I gave up.

Matsuno truly rules. One of my favorite games of all time remains FFT. And all the worlds and stories crafted in his game have been awesome.

Thanks to new game +, my friend can kill the final boss without a weapon (just punches him).

Yup, he's played it that many times. I begged him for his save file (which he gave me) so I could focus on the story alone. I plan to start a new game tonight.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long is this game?

It should be a criminal offense for any person who calls himself fan of RPGs (or even good games in general) but still hasn't played Vagrant Story. If you have not played this game, it will be the sweetest dollar you ever spent over PSN. Get it NOW.

Corleth the Fey said:
Don't forget to watch both opening cinematic's. There's two!
Hmm, the opening cinematic soon as you launch the game and the opening cinematic when you press no buttons in the main menu?

Im_Special

If there's one thing you should read before jumping into this game its Beamup's Combat Mechanics Guide over at GameFAQs.

Main thing to take away from it is to just focus on having 3 weapon types edged/blunt/piercing then to just enhance them further with spells/gems for the different situations, this is by far the most effective strategy to damaging enemies and the least tedious. Going the 6 different weapons for each enemy class route is not optimal and here's why, not all undead are weak vs blunt weapons so banking all this time training your blunt type undead killer will go to waste.

For example:

Skeleton "Undead" resistance to EDG +2 / PRC +9 / BLN -16 , here blunt is good as its weakest most to blunt and strongest to piercing types.

Mummy "Undead" resistance to EDG -5 / PRC +5 / BLN +8 , here blunt is the worst you could use and edged types the best.

Ghast "Undead" resistance to EDG +8 / PRC 0 / BLN +23 , again blunt is terrible here and piercing is the way to go.

Also if you're thinking that training your blunt so its +100 to undead, and that it would still be better that way, is wrong and terribly inefficient, there's actually very little difference gained from it, its about the difference of say -25 to a weapon type, like the Ghast example above, +100 blunt weapon vs +4 piercing and the piercing would probably be more effective or at least close to the same.

Anyway hope some of that made sense, seriously check out that guide its great and will explain things better then me. Oh and enjoy this kick ass game.

jhawk6

Cataferal said:

So true. When a game booted up with Squaresoft the first thing you saw, you were in for a treat. Now as SquareEnix, not as often :(

mudkyp

I'm honestly shocked by how good this game looks after all this time. Such great art direction. My Square nostalgia is at it's peak between this and Xenogears. I want old Square back :(

kenta

Has no PEINS
So what's the XMB icon/splashscreen look like for PSone games these days? They used to be awfully ugly and I thought I remembered them changing it at one point

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really should pick this up... when I have the cash... and after I'm done with Tactics Ogre and Parasite Eve 3 (er--The Third Birthday) next month.

Been jonesing to go back to "Ivalice" in a while, so this would be a good side-story in the world.

I have a weird history with this game... beat it 8 times, lost discs for about a year, lost and regained save files off and on...

and you know what, I still love it.

This game convinced me braids can be hot.

YagizY

Fimbulvetr said:
Around 15 hours for a single playthrough.

Really? This isn't like a 70 hour FF game? Hmm... you may have just sold this game to me if true. I was looking to play something less than 20 hours because I just finished some long games.

neoism

Die Squirrel Die said:
There's a tiny attract mode CG sequence and no VA = tiny file size.
:O holy shit only 97mb... that's awesome I started this game twice and never got far... :( fuck it I'll play on psp this time. :)

Anticitizen One said:
Is O the confirm button to equip different weapons? The controls in this game are kind of disorienting.
...aren't you the guy who posted the OP? Do you know anything about Vagrant Story, or were you just doing this so you could be the guy who posted the thread?

kenta

Has no PEINS
badcrumble said:
...aren't you the guy who posted the OP? Do you know anything about Vagrant Story, or were you just doing this so you could be the guy who posted the thread?
*folds arms and stares at Anticitizen One*

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For those playing on PSP and are that distracted by the O/X confirm/cancel issue, you can switch them around in the 'PSP button' menu(I actually recommend re-customizing the button layout for the default controls for the game proper anyway).

MikeE21286 said:
Also the damn reverse controls for the camera movement....argh

Also can be fixed in the same menu...on PSP. Can't remember, does the PS3 allow you to customize button configs on PSX emulation as well?

This game is beautiful. <3 Matsuno so much... Brings back memories. Now I will finally finish this game!

One question though, do I need to switch shields as well? Do they lose affinities?

I got all the way to the last boss in this game before... I don't know, getting distracted by something else. I should go back and finish it.

But I'll probably restart the entire thing. I love Vagrant Story, warts and all.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cataferal said:

Now that we have Xenogears and VS, all we're missing now from their high-profile RPG stable are Chrono Cross and Parasite Eve.

Fixed.

I'd want to include SaGa Frontier and Brave Fencer Musashi but they aren't high profile enough.

Top Bottom