• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Robaperas

You've got to have the Eidelweiss or lancers hit the bottom of the ruin pieces (or at least as close to the ground as you can), because the hit detection on those things is super finicky. It caused me a ton of problems when I first played that map.

Thanks!, so I missed some info then, I'm gonna play that map again to see if I can get a better rank.

6) APCs have a top-mounted gun that can fire in 270 degree radius that doesn't include the back. More range than any other tank gun.

...and will fuck your shit up but good.

You know, playing through this game makes me appreciate other games like XCOM and how they don't get too bogged down with story. Maybe it's just that my tastes are changing, or that the story isn't actually that compelling, but I find the story elements of this game to be rather mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I still care enough to watch all the cutscenes, but I can't seem to find myself caring all that much overall.

Thanks for the insight. If they release the sequels on PC I'll probably check it out.

It definately dropped off a cliff in the last fifth of the game (hint: Selvaria
is a character that poisons everything around her
)

Nyoro SF

I think a few people take the story of VC1 waaaay too seriously. I really enjoy cheesy and over-the-top stuff and VC1 has loads of that cheese factor with a simple war and romance theme. The moment you see Maximillian in his outfit the game can't be really taken that seriously. I just sit back and enjoy the ride. Sure it has a few serious moments, but I would never call VC1 a serious story (I mean, even the final scene... not the epilogue, but the final scene, is so out there.... lol)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The moment you see Maximillian in his outfit the game can't be really taken that seriously.

The first time he appeared, all I could think of was:

35a465fb8097d25e3d205083015ef0f8.jpg

Robaperas

I'm at Chapter 13, great game so far but the story is kinda there as a filler, got my first A rank at Chapter 10. In Chapter 12
those pesky snipers almost made me restart the whole mission, but a well deployed Marina spared me the blushes.

Finally got this running under Linux via Wine. All it took was a new computer! (ok, my old computer had an AMD video card, the new one has an Nvidia)

Touchpad + keyboard works better than I thought it would. I might stick with it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know what I don't like about this game?

The scoring system.

It's basically more about how fast you do things than anything. Playing smart so you don't lose people isn't rewarded.

The scoring system.

It's basically more about how fast you do things than anything. Playing smart so you don't lose people isn't rewarded.

Yeah, it's a real weakness. Makes Scouts overly powerful/important, since all you really have to do most missions is bum rush the objectives.

The scoring system.

The Gallian Crossfire mod fixes it, although the mod is overall harder and needs some tweaks.

That said, abusing the Scout Challenge for XP is great.

Nyoro SF

Asking speed of a player isn't a problem, but ranking them purely on it is bad.
They never did fix this in any of the sequels by the way (ranking on speed).

Luckily, money isn't very important in VC1 as you can max rank every mission in the game with starting weapons and without leveling up a single class.

Yeah, it's a real weakness. Makes Scouts overly powerful/important, since all you really have to do most missions is bum rush the objectives.

That's not quite true, only around 25-30% of missions in the game are sprinters, and some maps need some really unorthodox strategies to pull off the rush that would require some really obnoxious save-reloading.... not a very fun way to play a game.

Septimus

Can someone help me out? I'm trying to install the mods on the first page and everything seems to work except for swapping dual shock controls from O to confirm to X.

also Showdown at Naggiar 2 is some hot bullshit
Hit the big pieces towards the bottom, shoot all the little guns, have an Engineer & Lancer hide in the little L shaped structure on the west boundary of the map, and park the Edelweiss next to that.

That said, this is one of those maps where you wish the game had higher default movement radii for non-scouts/engineers, because you waste a lot of time getting people to the upper level.

Didn't even know there were mods for this- if I'm having fun by Chapter 6 am I missing anything by playing stock? The game is hard but you can totally "game" it by rushing and memorizing the triggers like others have stated. I've found I usually win with little to no losses by the fourth or fifth try.

But there are some serious XCOM moments of missed shots though hahaha.

Levyne

Banned
Didn't even know there were mods for this- if I'm having fun by Chapter 6 am I missing anything by playing stock? The game is hard but you can totally "game" it by rushing and memorizing the triggers like others have stated. I've found I usually win with little to no losses by the fourth or fifth try.

The mods in the OP are all just little nice tweaks to take advantage of the pc. There's also a big rebalance mod floating around that is super popular but I haven't messed with it.

Nyoro SF

You're not missing anything by playing stock.
But, if you feel like stock isn't giving you enough of a challenge, this is the mod that changes things up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094547

I sometimes hesitate to recommend it because there's a big range of players who say they can't beat the starting missions vs. people who beat maps running through blindfolded.

I still say though, "fourth or fifth try", if you have to restart a mission five times, I think I would consider that a loss by any reasonable warring standard. :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I beat the game. It's great.

Started on the DLC from the extras menu. The Selvaria stuff was cool because you get to be OP as fuck for a couple missions.

Just started the Edy detachment (basically the first cutscene) and who the fuck are these characters? Do people like these jokers? It's like they decided to get all the most annoying people in one place and make you play as them. I mean Lynn is alright, but everybody else seems lame as hell.

Nyoro SF

Started on the DLC from the extras menu. The Selvaria stuff was cool because you get to be OP as fuck for a couple missions.

Just started the Edy detachment (basically the first cutscene) and who the fuck are these characters? Do people like these jokers? It's like they decided to get all the most annoying people in one place and make you play as them. I mean Lynn is alright, but everybody else seems lame as hell.

Glad you had fun. :D

Marina and Jann were fan favorites both in the West and Japan. Edy... well, they tried to make her popular. Homer... I have no idea. Lynn is top tier, so that's a good reason to like her. lol

You're not done with the Selvaria DLC. And you don't know the meaning of OP until you get that fourth mission.

Use Marina in the base game as your main sniper, and then you'll understand why she's there, although the DLC did make her a bit too anime.

Bought it on sale recently and I'm liking the characters but how do I make it look better? I have a 750 ti and my monitor max resolution is 1600x900.

Bought it on sale recently and I'm liking the characters but how do I make it look better? I have a 750 ti and my monitor max resolution is 1600x900.

4K downsampling. It's more Remaster than the Remaster.

Doubt you'll be able to run the game at 60FPS though. Even with a 970 I'm averaging 55FPS (50-ish under the more effect intensive/high polycount maps like Ghirlandaio).

750ti MIGHT be able to do 4K/30 though. Don't know though. If you can't, just suck it up and play at 900p with perfect 60FPS.

But how do I downsample? I've installed the PS3 buttons and the HD models but I didn't really see the difference. I see a lot of aliasing. Also is there a way to make the audio louder?
You need to enable DSR in Nvidia Control Panel (if that's even an option for a 750 Ti - you might need an eternal app).

You might be able to force MFAA through the Control Panel too, but the game's art style and don't really lend themselves to AA. Also, since all the cutscenes were prerendered at 720p and they couldn't find the assets for them, you can't do anything about the aliasing there.

As for the volume, use the configuration thing that you can use when you launch the game through Steam and/or crank up your system volume.

Top Bottom