• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Anilusion

blamite said:
Have we figured out yet if the depleting potatoes are speeding up the game progress bars? Killing Floor will never get finished otherwise.

Pretty much.

Game Progress Graph
53wKf.jpg

Potato Count Graph
EQTLF.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
kamspy said:
First time I've ever been happy about a ban.
You didn't hear Nuclear Muffin got banned?
Zombie James said:
The whole disappointment thing has absolutely nothing to do with the game releasing early or not, at least for me. The problem I have is that the ARG was brilliantly executed up to a certain point but then ended with a four-day grinding session. They dangled the carrot of an early release and that kept people going as a "reward" for all the work they've done collecting potatoes, but it seems clear now there's nothing users could have done that would have shortened the release in any considerable way. It never would have come out on Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday. All signs point to a midnight launch tonight, and it feels like it had nothing to do with what the community did since Friday afternoon.
Great post.

I wonder, although it does feel like a fix, I don't think legally it can be, they've outright advertised buying these games gets Portal 2 out early, if that's true they could (incredibly unlikely I know) get slapped with a class action suit couldn't they? I can't imagine they'd open themselves up to that, as remote a chance of it happening as it is.

B-Dex

The thing that I am most disappointed in is the fact that there was that clue: April 19th 7AM = April 15th 9AM. So would we have had to grind out the games on Tuesday or what was that about?

Arnie

I would've bought the game on Steam on Friday had it released then, I even contemplated pre-loading it, really glad I didn't now. Going to trade Crysis 2 in on Thursday and get Portal 2 for the 360, want to play with party chat and achievements.

DaBuddaDa

EternalGamer said:
There is an argument to be had about people's ridiculous sense of self entitlement in regards to an ARG which:

1) was free
2) was entirely optional
3) results in an earlier release (regardless of how early)
None of those things are inherently cause for immunity from criticism, though.

Forkball

So the potatoes started to deplete at 11 AM PST, which means that the "potato overdrive" was caused by a specific time and not a specific number of potatoes. Does that mean all these potatoes are hindering the release? If we only had 100,000 potatoes or so, it would be done by now.

Sethos

Banned
EternalGamer said:
There is an argument to be had about people's ridiculous sense of self entitlement in regards to an ARG which:

1) was free
2) was entirely optional
3) results in an earlier release (regardless of how early)

Sounds like the checklist for my last masturbation session.

TheExodu5

Banned
dollartaco said:
No signs point to that. Games are being completed based on the order in which the community has decided, and the accumulated CPUs have reduced the projected launch time accordingly. If nobody played these games, Portal 2 would have launched as scheduled.

Being played like a fiddle.

Of course 'some' people are going to be playing the games. All Valve has to do to make it seem legitimate is distribute the load in accordance to the weight distribution of the playerbase. If Valve wasn't accelerating this last phase, several of these bars wouldn't even be finishing by launch. Valve is making them finish exactly when they want them to. The whole thing is artificial, and I'm dumbfounded that some of you can't see that.

The Steam version is $34.99--$25 cheaper than the retail console price and will probably perform better with a better control mechanism.

Why would people ever feel "cheated" or feel like they were "taken for a ride" for buying that version?

B-Dex said:
The thing that I am most disappointed in is the fact that there was that clue: April 19th 7AM = April 15th 9AM. So would we have had to grind out the games on Tuesday or what was that about?

Haha, no. I guess if there were infinite players, it could have come out on the 15th, but they were very sneaky. Title change gave me a chuckle.

KScorp

Forkball said:
So the potatoes started to deplete at 11 AM PST, which means that the "potato overdrive" was caused by a specific time and not a specific number of potatoes. Does that mean all these potatoes are hindering the release? If we only had 100,000 potatoes or so, it would be done by now.

No, more potatoes means more "overdrive" time. If we run out of taters, then we go back to the old, slower rate.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Forkball said:
Running out of potatoes might just put the progression bars back into slow motion.

Forkball said:

No. The potatoes are essentially being burned to increase the completion rate. It's a good thing that we have as many as we do because that gives us a bigger window to knock out some of these games.

Oreoleo

Forkball said:

They would have decreased at a slower rate.

B-Dex said:
But then everyone forgot to factor in Valve time.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
EternalGamer said:
The Steam version is $34.99--$25 cheaper than the retail console price and will probably perform better with a better control mechanism.

Why would people ever feel "cheated" or feel like they were "taken for a ride" for buying that version?

You got a magic discount? Cuz from here it's $44.99 for the 1 pack and $79.99 for the twofer

EternalGamer said:

Just need to point out that the pricing change is not universal. I got it on a 2-pack for 40 each, and it still says 44.99 if I just bought one copy.

Epix

Forkball said:

I believe the thinking is that if we had only built up 100k potatoes then our "overdrive" x2 progress would be over and we'd be back to normal speed.

EDIT: Beaten x5

dimb

EternalGamer said:

A standalone copy on Steam costs $45, and will go up to $50 after the game is out.

Forkball said:

Yeah, looking back it was definitely the time that caused this to happen and not the potato count. Which means this was always fixed to happen on Monday. The amount of potatoes we were able to get over the weekend simply speeds up the process for a Monday release.

TheExodu5 said:
Being played like a fiddle.

Of course 'some' people are going to be playing the games. All Valve has to do to make it seem legitimate is distribute the load in accordance to the weight distribution of the playerbase. If Valve wasn't accelerating this last phase, several of these bars wouldn't even be finishing by launch. Valve is making them finish exactly when they want them to. The whole thing is artificial, and I'm dumbfounded that some of you can't see that.

We knew the load was different per game on Friday, an hour after this whole thing started. You're saying that everything else was fabricated to match a plan.

So, name the release time.

TheExodu5

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Yeah, looking back it was definitely the time that caused this to happen and not the potato count. Which means this was always fixed to happen on Monday. The amount of potatoes we were able to get over the weekend simply speeds up the process for a Monday release.

Or, as we've said, the rate of potato decay would just be determined on Monday so that the depletion would occur exactly when they planned to release the game.

Valve is not going to punish the users that did participate by saying "sorry guys, you didn't get enough people buying the Potato Sack!".

dimb

dollartaco said:
We knew the load was different per game on Friday, an hour after this whole thing started. You're saying that everything else was fabricated to match a plan.

He's already said around midnight EST numerous times in this thread.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd say both sides have good points.

On one hand, it was a fantastic build up. And when you get to the core, you find out it's rotten. You're given a cheap grind for something as weak as an early release.

On the other hand, it was entirely optional and free.

Now I'll also say this... it isn't over yet. We don't know if it is "just" an early release, but maybe something more too.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
Pretty much.

Why are they decreasing at 11.67 potatoes per second? Because that makes the math line up with their launch window.

exactly.

This isn't rocketscience people it's basic buisness practice. The longer this whole shit keeps going the more revenue is generated from people buying the potatopacks and portal2 bundles.

Why would they even have wanted to release the game on friday?

StuBurns

Banned
DoctorWho said:
But what would have happened if every game bar had been filled much earlier, it must have been possible right? Would they just have had the potato countdown last a day or longer?

The idea it's fixed seems pretty obvious but it's also so lame it's almost impossible to believe.

Twig

Banned
dollartaco said:

He has, multiple times: midnight EST.

StuBurns said:
But what would have happened if every game bar had been filled much earlier, it must have been possible right? Would they just have had the potato countdown last a day or longer?

The idea it's fixed seems pretty obvious but it's also so lame it's almost impossible to believe.

I honestly don't know but the more I look at it, the more I think this was a fix.

That's shit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
He has, multiple times: midnight EST.

Yep. Or midnight PST...depends on their retailer agreements. Give or take 30 minutes due to Valve Time, of course.

And before you say that's just because I did the potato math: nope. I called it yesterday.

DaBuddaDa said:
None of those things are inherently cause for immunity from criticism, though.

Fair enough. And I understand the criticism of the ARG qua ARG. However, as someone else said, I feel it was a much cooler way to involve a larger community rather than relying on a small group who pillage through arcane cryptic clues.

The problem is that some people are talking as if this free, optional ARG somehow reflects badly on the game it is attached to, it's value, or even Valve as a company. These things seem pretty absurd to me.

Lanbeast said:
I guess I just have a feeling that Valve isn't done with surprises yet. I wouldn't be too taken aback if it unlocked in the next hour or two after some new twist gets thrown in. It just feels like people are counting their chickens before they hatch.

Oh, I agree it doesn't look like Valve are done with the ARG yet. But the buildup suggested something special as a reward for the complete U-Turn into grinding. As it is, it's just 'alright'. Which obviously is better than nothing, and not worth complaining about in its own right, but when you consider the raised hype around it...

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing what else Valve have up their sleeves for us. (Because if nothing else, it can't be as bad as sluggish bar-filling :) )

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Let's face it. Valve has a history of lying about stuff like this. Most likely they knew exactly when Portal 2 would end up launching way ahead of time and designed a game/promotion to make people think they had some control over it.

Releasing early would be an open invitation for every retailer to break street date on valve games for all of eternity, because if valve isn't gonna respect the release date, why should they?

TheExodu5 said:
Yep. Or midnight PST...depends on their retailer agreements. Give or take 30 minutes due to Valve Time, of course.

And before you say that's just because I did the potato math: nope. I called it yesterday.

Are there any websites that a post-mortem/audit of ARGs after they are completed? I'd love to see this one dissected.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Orellio said:
To inspire goodwill amongst their fans cause that's when we all really wanted it.

"Hi is this gulfstream? Hi, it's Gabe Newell, I'd like to buy a Gulfstream V. What do you mean you don't accept payments in goodwill? "

TheExodu5 said:

Good. And what does it mean if the launch occurs out of that window?

StuBurns

Banned
EternalGamer said:
The problem is that some people are talking as if this free, optional ARG somehow reflects badly on the game it is attached to, it's value, or even Valve as a company. These things seem pretty absurd to me.
It's absurd to you that content Valve releases would have an influence on an individual's opinion of Valve?

dimb

Jay Shadow said:
Releasing early would be an open invitation for every retailer to break street date on valve games for all of eternity, because if valve isn't gonna respect the release date, why should they?
What would stop Valve from beating them to release on Steam in the future?

Top Bottom