• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Treefingers said:
So you're saying if you don't like the grind, don't participate. He's saying the grind sucks and is a disappointment after the incredible ARG, how does what you're saying counter that?

Why is it disappointing to get the game early? How much earlier would have made this a better experience for you? Because, really, until now you've had to do no "work" at all.

StuBurns said:
Is it? From that start of this 'phase' all indication were that it was going to take a really long time to get this done and the chance of playing considerably early was slim. If you decide to commit after that, regardless of how much someone might feel cheated, it's their fault, there was a very easy point at which to walk away.
Once again that is not addressing the argument that the way Valve chose to end this is disappointing. In fact you're pretty much implicitly agreeing with it.

ViolentP

I hope Portal 2 releases a day late so those complaining about it not releasing early have a legitimate reason to be upset. It also means wouldn't have to go to sleep at night knowing how rampant stupidity is.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But it's not just releasing on time. It is releasing earlier.

I get the frustration at this whole thing being scripted out, but it's pretty clear we're all getting this game a little after 5pm today, which is fucking great. To all employed people, we just got the game a whole day early.

Buttonbasher said:
Steam games usually hit around noon the day of. Even a midnight release would be like 12-15 hours early.

That all really depends on where you live though, plus there are some games that do unlock at 00:00

Selling the early unlock like they have been doing makes it disappointing to me that is still unlocking the same day (just 12 hours early) when many people, including my self still cant play it until the evening when i was going to play it anyway.

Snapshot King said:
It's supposed to top out at 6. Never understood taking games like that and jacking up the player counts to stupid amounts.

Eh, it's fun to play around with. Most maps don't play well in large groups though.

IceMarker

The #PotatoFoolsDay chat yielded this from NDA smeared Douglas.
sebbie10: Doug you can't just come back in and act like nothing fucking happened
Douglas: yes I can
Douglas: like this
The chat room has been set to all-users chat by Douglas.
The chat room has been set to officers-only chat by sebbie10.
sebbie10: No.
Douglas: okay mate
|EG| Cobalt: But, the people are right.... we need to calm down
Agumon286: LOL
mahaugher: Douglas is in the witness protection program
Douglas: I have not been the one who has talks to anyone i nthis chat or others since I was "taken"
Douglas: that's someone elses decision when they want to
sebbie10: So your account was taking over?
sebbie10: Thats all you had to say
Douglas: I don't even know if I should've said that but my god

Red

dollartaco said:
Why is it disappointing to get the game early? How much earlier would have made this a better experience for you? Because, really, until now you've had to do no "work" at all.
You keep focusing on this point when it doesn't apply for the vast majority of those who are disappointed.

DaBuddaDa

Treefingers said:
Once again that is not addressing the argument that the way Valve chose to end this is disappointing. In fact you're pretty much implicitly agreeing with it.
There is no argument to be had. "I think it's disappointing" versus "I do not think it's disappointing" are the only arguments that can be made. The whole discussion is pointless, so when people continually complain about it the people that don't mind get really sick and tired of hearing about it.

DaBuddaDa said:
There is no argument to be had. "I think it's disappointing" versus "I do not think it's disappointing" are the only arguments that can be made. The whole discussion is pointless, so when people continually complain about it the people that don't mind get really sick and tired of hearing about it.
Okay but then don't come in and say that it's stupid and insane to be disappointed.

Lanbeast said:
We haven't even hit the release date yet, so why is there so much complaining about it not releasing early?

People have different definitions of 'early', and how that applies to a gaming release in relation to hype / teasing / suggestion from developers.

And Valve Time.

Red

DaBuddaDa said:
I don't think we should all censor ourselves for the sake of complacency.

webrunner

DaBuddaDa said:

"I think it's dissapointing" is one thing.

"valve has lost good will and this will be forever seen a major failure on valve's part and they lied in their banner and blah blah blah" is a different thing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
No, people like you are making video game communities "the fucking worst"... Go away.
I like the graying out of Text when they are banned, was that added in with the Avatar switch over longer ago?

dollartaco said:

I think the work put into the ARG should have reaped a better reward. I don't know about Friday at Noon but actually being able to play it at some point over the weekend before everyone had to head back to work would have been great. Instead, Valve had people grinding all weekend, for what, a few hours on Monday. Maybe.

The result doesn't equal the time and energy put into it. That's the problem. The ARG was great until Friday at Noon.

XeroSauce

webrunner said:

"valve has lost good will and this will be forever seen a major failure on valve's part and they lied in their banner and blah blah blah" is a different thing.

That's call overreaction. Everyone does it in every gaming thread ever.

Zomba13

MrMister said:
The #PotatoFoolsDay chat yielded this from NDA smeared Douglas.
From what I read of the officers (I was afk for a while and got back to crazy stuff) Doug came in and trolled.
I scrolled up and read all what Doug said and it was pretty much:
I didn't go to Valve for testing
Becuase I didn't want to. I can wait.
(Asked a bunch of questions by users)
I can't say (to all of them)

And the officers assume he's trolling.

Sounds like he couldn't get to Valve, didn't want to travel so waited at home and popped in the chat to see what's up and people jump him for it and he can't reveal anything about the ARG because of NDA.

StuBurns

Banned
Treefingers said:
I'm not saying it's not disappointing, I think it's fucking stupid actually, I'm stunned Valve did something so lame. The point is it was an opt in system, with no real indication of end game. If you just wanted to hunt down clues, and play the Balltal levels or Justine, that was totally possible, you did not have to grind for this section.

barnone

I don't believe Portal 2 was ever going to be released when all of the bars filled up. We just have 13 opportunities to push up the launch hour by xx mins.

We couldve finished all of the games meters in an hour on Friday, and the release wouldn't have been immediate, it would just have been "bumped up" by ~12 hours

DaBuddaDa

Treefingers said:
Okay but then don't come in and say that it's stupid and insane to be disappointed.
I never did?

Crunched said:
I don't think we should all censor ourselves for the sake of complacency.
But saying it over and over and over and over while still participating in the ARG is obnoxious behavior.

webrunner said:

There some of that as well. Very emotional, reactionary, irrational, over the top reactions. Quintessential, teenage immaturity.

StuBurns said:
I'm not saying it's not disappointing, I think it's fucking stupid actually, I'm stunned Valve did something so lame. The point is it was an opt in system, with no real indication of end game. If you just wanted to hunt down clues, and play the Balltal levels or Justine, that was totally possible, you did no have to grind for this section.
Alright, I agree with that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Drkirby said:
I like the graying out of Text when they are banned, was that added in with the Avatar switch over longer ago?

Added it in a few days ago on a whim, just to better identify banned users, in part so that (hopefully) people can move on from reacting to inflammatory posts a bit quicker.

taoofjord

Is there anyone here who participated in the ARG, the potato content, and the clocking of the CPUS honestly not disappointed? I sincerely doubt it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lanbeast said:
We haven't even hit the release date yet, so why is there so much complaining about it not releasing early?
Because they said it would be released early.

Baha

taoofjord said:
Is there anyone here who participated in the ARG, the potato content, and the clocking of the CPUS honestly not disappointed? I sincerely doubt it.

I was disappointed on Friday, now I just want to play the damn game as soon as possible. You can't change things but you can make sure they never forget.

XeroSauce

taoofjord said:

I've expected a lot more, and I am disappointed, yes. But I know I will get my Portal and by the looks for it, sometime this afternoon is plausible. So I'm not shoving knives down my favorite company's throat yet, no. They've fucked up worse before.

mxgt

Banned
I for one am just ecstatic that I don't have to wait 3 days more for a game release. Pity the retail buyers still do in PAL regions.

Lanbeast

Mister_Bubbles said:
People have different definitions of 'early', and how that applies to a gaming release in relation to hype / teasing / suggestion from developers.

And Valve Time.

I guess I just have a feeling that Valve isn't done with surprises yet. I wouldn't be too taken aback if it unlocked in the next hour or two after some new twist gets thrown in. It just feels like people are counting their chickens before they hatch.

dollartaco said:
You get to play Portal 2 earlier. I'm sorry that is disappointing to you.

I think the main reason for a lot of the disappointment was because people were hoping to play it over the weekend when they had some free time. Now that everyones back at work the prospect of an early release doesn't mean that much.

The whole disappointment thing has absolutely nothing to do with the game releasing early or not, at least for me. The problem I have is that the ARG was brilliantly executed up to a certain point but then ended with a four-day grinding session. They dangled the carrot of an early release and that kept people going as a "reward" for all the work they've done collecting potatoes, but it seems clear now there's nothing users could have done that would have shortened the release in any considerable way. It never would have come out on Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday. All signs point to a midnight launch tonight, and it feels like it had nothing to do with what the community did since Friday afternoon.

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:
No, people like you are making video game communities "the fucking worst", with your dismissal of anyone caring enough to have an opinion on any matter. Entitlement, whiners, u mad, haters gonna hate, all that shit is the fucking worst. If people don't complain about something like this, Valve won't know it squandered the good will built up with this ARG. Reactions are important; the positive and the negative. Go away.

Thank you.

I'm glad some people can at least appreciate the value in our complaints, whether they be on the whiny side or not.

EviLore said:
Added it in a few days ago on a whim, just to better identify banned users, in part so that (hopefully) people can move on from reacting to inflammatory posts a bit quicker.

It will also help in identifying necro bumped threads. :p

mxgt said:
I for one am just ecstatic that I don't have to wait 3 days more for a game release. Pity the retail buyers still do in PAL regions.

It seems to me that the PAL users are really scoring here. They are getting the game a few days early.

heyf00L said:
Can someone translate into English?

I ran it through Babelfish and... holy shit...

34rha95.jpg

CONFIRMED

vehn

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But it's not just releasing on time. It is releasing earlier.

I get the frustration at this whole thing being scripted out, but it's pretty clear we're all getting this game a little after 5pm today, which is fucking great. To all employed people, we just got the game a whole day early.

where are you getting that this game will be released at 5pm? (if EST thats in 1 hour)

syoaran

XeroSauce said:
That's call overreaction. Everyone does it in every gaming thread ever.

Whats frustrating is this blanket generalisation that anyone who is disappointed is over-reacting.

I think most of the debate going on in this thread has been constructive and honest, and no-one has gone straight for the "oh lolz, I give up, cancelling my steam account and boycotting the game" as far as I can see.

Gandie

Snapshot King said:
It's supposed to top out at 6. Never understood taking games like that and jacking up the player counts to stupid amounts.

Didn't know that. I'm not taking it very seriously and it's fun. I'll try playing it seriously when I finish playing P2. I can imagine that it gets intense when you're in a good group.

Zombie James said:
The whole disappointment thing has absolutely nothing to do with the game releasing early or not, at least for me. The problem I have is that the ARG was brilliantly executed up to a certain point but then ended with a four-day grinding session. They dangled the carrot of an early release and that kept people going as a "reward" for all the work they've done collecting potatoes, but it seems clear now there's nothing users could have done that would have shortened the release in any considerable way. It never would have come out on Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday. All signs point to a midnight launch tonight, and it feels like it had nothing to do with what the community did since Friday afternoon.

Great post.

It's all about dangling that carrot on a stick for the right amount of time before letting them have it. I think Valve hung a huge carrot and thought they could get away with dangling it for a little too long and far too much effort.

Top Bottom