• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Tabris

The problem with the NDP is the representatives in the individual ridings.

I say I'm more aligned with NDP's platform, but I rather vote for Sam Sullivan in my riding.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
As someone not too involved in the process, I just want to say that I find it hilarious how the Conservatives are the Federal party/majority, and they have exactly ZERO elected representatives in BC. Wtf is up with that :lol

Tabris

As someone not too involved in the process, I just want to say that I find it hilarious how the Conservatives are the Federal party/majority, and they have exactly ZERO elected representatives in BC. Wtf is up with that :lol

The Liberals created a platform that blends a conservative nature with the more liberal minded wants and needs of British Columbians.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Seems like more than half of the eligible registered voters did vote yesterday after all that is counted. This number doesn't count absentee ballets either which include those who just voted in the polling station closest to their work or whatever, away from their home district. I say that's far better than what the media was reporting yesterday all freaking out, haha

Tabris

I think the reason why the media was pushing this as almost every media expert was wrong on predicting what the results would be. Trying to explain it to save face?

Cheerilee

BC has a habit of letting the party in power do whatever they want for as long as they want, until they slip up (or are seen to slip up), at which point we tend to crush them utterly.

BC had a right-wing party called Social Credit, or the Socreds for short, and they ran BC for a long time, but then they were crushed and destroyed in the late 80's.

The left-wing NDP came in and ran things for the 90's until they were crushed. The right-wingers meanwhile all climbed onto the center-left Liberal bandwagon because there were no other bandwagons available, which pushed the party to center-right. Or is it center-left? It can't decide.

The Liberals ran things for a long time after the NDP was crushed.

The Liberals screwed up with the HST, but crushing them would mean letting the NDP back into power, and Christie Clark was able to survive by scaremongering people into remembering that the NDP was supposed to be on the crushed list too, so the biggest issue with the NDP voters was "Don't let the Liberals back in!" and the biggest issue with the Liberal voters was "Don't let the NDP back in!"

The Green Party made some ground as the new left wing party, but the NDP voters rallied around the NDP because "Don't let the Liberals back in!", while the Conservatives tried to take back the right as the new right-wing party, but "Don't let the NDP back in!" was more important.

If the Green Party had come along sooner, they could've picked up the pieces of the NDP after the last crush, at which point the Greens would've crushed the Liberals in this election, leaving the Conservatives in a prime position to pick up the right wing pieces. This cycle of death and rebirth is what we need in BC. It encourages new ideas, and penalizes terrible ones.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
All I can say is that it seems most of my young friends on Facebook are screaming their heads off about NDP losing/Liberals winning. I say, young people need to go out and vote more. This is why politicians don't put out favourable legislations for us younger people. Stop screaming on Facebook and go out and take your friends to go vote. Too much apathy amongst the young people. Why can't becoming legal-age to vote be cool and exciting like being able to get driver license and drink alcohol legally ? I got goosebumps from my first time voting years ago because I was so excited to be part of the democratic process.

Firestorm

All I can say is that it seems most of my young friends on Facebook are screaming their heads off about NDP losing/Liberals winning. I say, young people need to go out and vote more. This is why politicians don't put out favourable legislations for us younger people. Stop screaming on Facebook and go out and take your friends to go vote. Too much apathy amongst the young people. Why can't becoming legal-age to vote be cool and exciting like being able to get driver license and drink alcohol legally ? I got goosebumps from my first time voting years ago because I was so excited to be part of the democratic process.
The friends of mine who were screaming are the ones who've been voting and share political stories on Facebook often to at least keep their friends somewhat informed.

Honestly this was probably the election I've been least informed about. I absolutely hate both viable parties in our province and have done so for a long time. What it came down to was the pipeline and so I voted NDP. Unfortunately they lost =/

Smiley90

Any people in here going to UBC next year? Just wondering if any other gaffers are gonna be in my class. I'll be in Sauder.

Sauder kids are the worst. From personal experience. Please don't become a self-entitled snobby asshole like 90% of them appear to be.

That's all I have to say on the topic :lol

Ellasman

Sauder kids are the worst. From personal experience. Please don't become a self-entitled snobby asshole like 90% of them appear to be.

That's all I have to say on the topic :lol

I don't plan on that. All of the people I know in Sauder don't seem to be like that.

If the Green Party had come along sooner, they could've picked up the pieces of the NDP after the last crush, at which point the Greens would've crushed the Liberals in this election, leaving the Conservatives in a prime position to pick up the right wing pieces.

Hahahaha, no. Just... no. There isn't a single point of merit in this post. Straight up wrong.

I don't plan on that. All of the people I know in Sauder don't seem to be like that.

I was a business student and every party I went to during university was full of people asking me if I was one of those snobby business kids LOL.

Give it a year or two before you start seeing people wear suits to school for no reason, look down on other faculties, and act like future CEOs attending Harvard. All the while with most ending up doing accounting for 38k/yr.

Cheerilee

Hahahaha, no. Just... no. There isn't a single point of merit in this post. Straight up wrong.

Sooo... on a day when the media is holding the Liberals' feet to the coals over a policy of "the rich get richer", which the Liberals justify because "the poor got poorer", so they're calling it "fair" and saying that it's "balanced", you deny that right-wingers are bandwagoning on the provincial Liberals simply because the Socreds lost a wheel? You don't believe that there are pockets of right-wingism in BC strong enough to win a seat?

And in my fantasy scenario where the Green Party presented a viable alternative for the left-wing after the NDP fell from power, if the left-wing had spent the last 12 years of Liberal rule rebuilding under the Green Party's name instead of the NDP's, you don't believe that they would've entered the election with less baggage, which would have gotten the right-wingers less fired up, resulting in lower Liberal turnout and more vote-splitting towards the New Conservatives, in effect handing the election to the Green Party, defeating the Liberals, and establishing the New Conservatives as viable enough for them to soak up all of the right-wing vote going forward?

Well, that's nice.

Dazzler

Vancouverite checking in

Originally from Ireland but living in your awesome city for over three years now

About to submit my residency papers :)

Wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now

Smiley90

Vancouverite checking in

Originally from Ireland but living in your awesome city for over three years now

About to submit my residency papers :)

Wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now

"European who moved to Vancouver"-hi5. Nearly 4 years for me now. Won't be able to apply for permanent residency until next April though :( It shall be a momentous occation when it happens.

Dazzler

I just got approved under the PNP process. So my residency papers are going in as soon as I receive the police clearance cert from home :)

Best part = no more paperwork!

Anyone looking into subletting a nice room in an apartment for the month of July?

Rent could be negotiable,

The building is in the heart of downtown, 3 minutes walk from Gastown and the Waterfront Station and five minutes walk to Granville Station and the Pacific Center Mall and just about everything else in downtown Van. 98% Walkability rating.

New building with all the amenities, in suite laundry, High speed internet, big screen TV, PS3, Wii, gym, sauna, pool, hot tub, air conditioning. Going away for July, need someone to rent it out for me.

PM me if interested, thanks.

Gilby

So I've been living here for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say...

This city is pretty damn awesome. Tons of stuff to do, beautiful scenery, some nice parks, and my school is great.

The only major negatives so far are the large homeless/druggie population and the cost of everything.

Smiley90

What are some average shared rent prices in downtown? Thinking about finally moving from North Van into the city... Just looking around on craigslist. Seems like for "good" apartments (view&size) it'll be about 1100-1300 a month?

For "regular" apartments (average size, no view) it seems like about 800/900?

What are some average shared rent prices in downtown? Thinking about finally moving from North Van into the city... Just looking around on craigslist. Seems like for "good" apartments (view&size) it'll be about 1100-1300 a month?

I paid $1050 for a 500sqft 1bedroom. View was okay - high up, but not facing the fireworks. But I hear min rent on that place went up to $1200 the day I moved out. (downtown, a block away from the former starbucks corner on Robson)

It's been awhile but I was always under the impression you could find somewhat better rents near the south beach or closer to Stanley Park, but it's a touchy subject because occasionally you see a place where they're working on a fast condo conversion or bed bug exodus. If I ever moved back to the city I would strongly consider Kits as well. Plenty of high rents but also some older places that randomly had good deals.

(* good for Vancouver...horrible for Montreal)

Smiley90

I paid $1050 for a 500sqft 1bedroom. View was okay - high up, but not facing the fireworks. But I hear min rent on that place went up to $1200 the day I moved out. (downtown, a block away from the former starbucks corner on Robson)

It's been awhile but I was always under the impression you could find somewhat better rents near the south beach or closer to Stanley Park, but it's a touchy subject because occasionally you see a place where they're working on a fast condo conversion or bed bug exodus. If I ever moved back to the city I would strongly consider Kits as well. Plenty of high rents but also some older places that randomly had good deals.

(* good for Vancouver...horrible for Montreal)

Since I go to school and work at SFU, I'm not really considering Kits. It'll come down to either downtown, North Burnaby (Hastings), Metro-area or New West. (In that order of preference)

Since I go to school and work at SFU, I'm not really considering Kits. It'll come down to either downtown, North Burnaby (Hastings), Metro-area or New West. (In that order of preference)

Yeah for most people Kits is just too much of a walk. Used to hate the bridge walk.

Apart from what I said all I can say is that I loved living downtown and would do it again if my industry returned to the province. But finding a place right now takes time.

I would never live DT again, too many of the apartment blocks have major bedbug problems

Def a problem in the older buildings. I have little doubt that some of the owners just take that cue to do Condo reworks.

Had good luck with the Hollyburn properties I stayed at, though.

Smiley90

Never heard of that... Is there a way to tell if they have bedbug problems beforehand? Just not live in older buildings, only the newer highrises?

Dazzler

Never heard of that... Is there a way to tell if they have bedbug problems beforehand? Just not live in older buildings, only the newer highrises?

I lived in the Lions tower on Alberni and we got them after a few months, came in through another unit and that's a relatively new building. Really shitty few weeks of barely any sleep and had to throw out like half my possessions

The Bedbug registry has a whole section about Vancouver.

Just don't ever take in furniture off the street is the golden rule really

Cheerilee

Bedbugs are like AIDS for your home. They're being spread by contact. Nobody is immune. If you move into a building with bedbugs, notice them, and say "Oh shit, bedbugs!", then decide to run away, wash your clothes, and move someplace clean... *wham*, you've just given bedbugs to the clean place.

The Public Library is actually having some trouble right now, because people with bedbugs are borrowing books, and the bedbugs are crawling into the books, and then someone else borrows the book, and "Oh shit, this book just gave me bedbugs!"

Smiley90

Bedbugs are like AIDS for your home. They're being spread by contact. Nobody is immune. If you move into a building with bedbugs, notice them, and say "Oh shit, bedbugs!", then decide to run away, wash your clothes, and move someplace clean... *wham*, you've just given bedbugs to the clean place.

The Public Library is actually having some trouble right now, because people with bedbugs are borrowing books, and the bedbugs are crawling into the books, and then someone else borrows the book, and "Oh shit, this book just gave me bedbugs!"

... That's kinda gross. So how can I tell if a place has them or not? :/ Can I even, without spending a few nights there?

Cheerilee

... That's kinda gross. So how can I tell if a place has them or not? :/ Can I even, without spending a few nights there?

I think the only real way is to meet the other tenants, or if the landlord knows them all and can honestly tell you what your neighbors are going to be like.

If the tenants are generally clean people, they won't encourage pest problems (roaches, fleas, mice, you name it). When clean people do get those problems, they tend to freak out about it, the exterminators get called, and the problem gets solved.

Other people though seem to be born slobs, and when they get these problems they just live with them and cover them up and allow them to spread to other apartments.

Firestorm

My favourite site for finding a place is http://padmapper.com. It maps out data from Craigslist and Kijiji onto Google Maps so you can better choose by location. Also has price filters.

And when you find a place drop me a PM and I can help you get a good promo on internet and tv :p

Smiley90

My favourite site for finding a place is http://padmapper.com. It maps out data from Craigslist and Kijiji onto Google Maps so you can better choose by location. Also has price filters.

And when you find a place drop me a PM and I can help you get a good promo on internet and tv :p

I was really surprised to find out craigslist itself now has a "sort on map" feature, which is pretty amazing.

Also I'm just looking for a room, not an apartment, so presumably they'd already have tv&internet. :p thanks though! Who are you with if you don't mind me asking?

Firestorm

Telus but only for new customers (people without service or switching from Shaw / Delta / whatever). Offer stands for any GAFfer or friends/family of GAFfers btw!

And yeah Craigslist is advancing its tech. Saw that while I was looking for some temporary housing for my family as our house gets rebuilt.

Tabris

Bedbugs? Is that actually a problem downtown or are you talking about west end? Anything west of Burrard I would hardly consider downtown except the coal harbour towers (right on the ocean) and Shangri'la.

FYI, if your building supports it downtown (and almost all new buildings do), the only good option to go with is Novus for cable & internet. Not only are they cheaper, but their service is fantastic and they never have "slow periods" or throttling where you aren't getting full bandwidth. I am so annoyed my new apartment I'm moving into in September doesn't have Novus (strata has paid for free internet but have to pay for shaw, ugh. my cable is going to almost cost me as much as my internet + cable for same services with Novus)

Smiley90

Bedbugs? Is that actually a problem downtown or are you talking about west end? Anything west of Burrard I would hardly consider downtown except the coal harbour towers (right on the ocean) and Shangri'la.

FYI, if your building supports it downtown (and almost all new buildings do), the only good option to go with is Novus for cable & internet. Not only are they cheaper, but their service is fantastic and they never have "slow periods" or throttling where you aren't getting full bandwidth. I am so annoyed my new apartment I'm moving into in September doesn't have Novus (strata has paid for free internet but have to pay for shaw, ugh. my cable is going to almost cost me as much as my internet + cable for same services with Novus)

When I say downtown I mean the entire peninsula. I consider Yaletown/West End/Coal
Harbor/Davie all smaller neighbourhoods in the bigger neighborhood of "downtown". That's just me though and I'm not even from Vancouver, so I may have been saying it all wrong this time haha.

Tabris

When I say downtown I mean the entire peninsula. I consider Yaletown/West End/Coal
Harbor/Davie all smaller neighbourhoods in the bigger neighborhood of "downtown". That's just me though and I'm not even from Vancouver, so I may have been saying it all wrong this time haha.

Nah, West End is not considered a part of Downtown:

http://vancouver.ca/green-vancouver/areas-of-the-city.aspx

You pay more for the neighbourhood and to say you live Downtown vs West End.

Firestorm

Most people refer to the entire peninsula as downtown yeah.

Tabris

Downtown for me is anything past Main on the peninsula

Yeah, but it's not. West End is separate than Downtown as a community, neighbourhood, and recognized division on the Vancouver map.

That would be like saying Delta was a part of Surrey because it's over the same bridges.

Firestorm

Yeah, but it's not. West End is separate than Downtown as a community, neighbourhood, and recognized division on the Vancouver map.

That would be like saying Delta was a part of Surrey because it's over the same bridges.
Let's be real here. Who differentiates between Delta and Surrey?

Smiley90

Let's be real here. Who differentiates between Delta and Surrey?

Surrey.jpg

As someone who lived in the downtown/west end boundary, yes it's all considered downtown. (And a big chunk of West End is the park, anyway...) The map differentiates it for political/services reasons but apart from seeing a few less glass condos its pretty similar. West End has more in the way of trees and older houses, but it has been pretty rapidly condo-izing. About the only thing Downtown side has over it is the mall and train stations.

EDIT: The terms are not very useful anyway; each contains multiple smaller areas with distinct differences, ie: coal harbor versus robson vs. denman, or yaletown vs. chinatown vs. hastings.

Top Bottom