• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

I saw tons of old games at -not kidding- the Sears outlet store at Lougheed Mall. There were 2 bins full of old games.

there was fucking PREY in there. A game you can't even buy online anymore because they ran out of keys and the devs aren't around anymore. :lol

The best used video game store is unfortunately in Langley.

http://www.willowvideogames.com

Every other store has closed (Willow and Microplay in Surrey for example). Since it's such a long trip, I would just recommend calling ahead and asking them whether they have the games you are looking for.

Thanks guys, I'll call both of those places ahead of time before I go there, (doubt people at Sears outlet will be any help over the phone) but yeah, I'll try calling. thanks for the suggestions.

Cheerilee

Can someone recommend the best Used video game shop around town, downtown, greater Vancouver, Barnaby, even Surrey.

I want to buy the following games for the PS3 to be more specific

Dead or Alive 5
Virtua Fighter 5
Soul Calibur 5 or 4

Kijiji wasn't much help, Amazon gets pricey after the shipping, was wondering if I can walk into a game shop and find these on the cheap, if anyone can help, thanks.

For recent stuff like PS3, I usually just go to EB.

Virtua Fighter 5 is $5 used, and the stock checker says it's in stock pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/virtua-fighter-5-used/208015

DOA5 is $15 new, in stock pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/dead-or-alive-5/312747

Soul Calibur 4 and 5 are both $15 used, pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/soul-calibur-iv/203186
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/soul-calibur-v/309872

The mom-and-pop shops are unlikely to beat those prices, and you'd have to drive all over town to do it.

For recent stuff like PS3, I usually just go to EB.

Virtua Fighter 5 is $5 used, and the stock checker says it's in stock pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/virtua-fighter-5-used/208015

DOA5 is $15 new, in stock pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/dead-or-alive-5/312747

Soul Calibur 4 and 5 are both $15 used, pretty much everywhere.
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/soul-calibur-iv/203186
http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/soul-calibur-v/309872

The mom-and-pop shops are unlikely to beat those prices, and you'd have to drive all over town to do it.

If I can get all those three games for 35 plus taxes even, I will be happy as a little girl, thanks for providing the links!

EDIT: ordered all three for $39 with taxes, getting shipped free to my door, thanks so much for the help.

Tabris

I dunno, like most Vancouverites, I don't like the idea of themed / gimmick restaurants. Why hard rock and rain city restaurant failed. Only restaurant that's kind of gimmicky that I love is The Eatery on Broadway. Oh, and Guilt & Co in Gastown.

Firestorm

Has someone been to the EXP Bar on 309 W Pender ST? Was thinking of checking it out one day, but wanted to hear some opinions first.
I've been a few times. It's a fun place to check out at least once. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive and drinks are very watered down.

Tabris is pretty wrong with Exp's chances of failing due to being a themed restaurant. Due to Vancouver's active games scene, they host quite a few events.

I almost walked in to the EXP bar when Canada Cup was in town and Justin Wong and the likes were there... the guy at the door was charging like 10 or even 12?? bucks just to walk in, I was like fuck that noise, I turned around and went home.

Guilty & Co. is right by my work, but still never been there, people say good things about it, what is theme there though?

robox

the fare at exp isn't anything special. and the drinks musta been watered down. had a few and expected to be ripped but nope, nothin'.

it's gonna live and die by its gimmick. my friend's friends whom i was with had frequent visitors cards. seems to be the goto place for otaku community to gather for special events.

Firestorm

I almost walked in to the EXP bar when Canada Cup was in town and Justin Wong and the likes were there... the guy at the door was charging like 10 or even 12?? bucks just to walk in, I was like fuck that noise, I turned around and went home.

Guilty & Co. is right by my work, but still never been there, people say good things about it, what is theme there though?
Canada Cup afterparty had a cover charge but I think it was open bar. Normally there is no cover charge.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao at MS stationing the giant Xbox outside the Penthouse. New stripping game for Kinect confirmed.

So anyone here gonna go for any one of the two midnight PS4 launches around town?

Best But on 6th and Cambie being the one and Future Shop in downtown the other.. I may drop by at Best Buy, but not sure yet.

EDIT: You know Vancouver GAF is a ghost town when I was the last poster before this post :(

Firestorm

So anyone here gonna go for any one of the two midnight PS4 launches around town?

Best But on 6th and Cambie being the one and Future Shop in downtown the other.. I may drop by at Best Buy, but not sure yet.

EDIT: You know Vancouver GAF is a ghost town when I was the last poster before this post :(
For the most part we're in the Canada Deals thread as far as PS4 launch goes.

Can anyone here recommend me a good toy, hobby shop around Vancouver and surroundings that specializes in diecast toy cars? I want to buy a diecast (model) car as a gift for Christmas, I wanna check out stores before I try online, amazon, etc.

Tabris

Can anyone here recommend me a good toy, hobby shop around Vancouver and surroundings that specializes in diecast toy cars? I want to buy a diecast (model) car as a gift for Christmas, I wanna check out stores before I try online, amazon, etc.

So I don't know if they do diecast toy cars but there's a big hobby store in Tinseltown with a bunch of cars visible. I've never gone in there but it looked neat.

Daft_Cat

Help me, VancouverGAF. You're my only hope.

I live in Los Angeles, where I'm getting an MFA in Film Production from USC. I definitely want to work in the business of creating television/films/games, but I really can't see myself living here for the rest of my life...nor am I willing to sacrifice liking where I live just for my career. Some people can do that, but I can't.

Obviously the opportunities here in California are unparalleled, but I'd argue there are more and more opportunities for people just starting out in other cities. LA tends to suck in and consolidate creative people from all over the world, but I think a decreasingly less amount of people get their start here.

Plus it sucks.

/rant

My point? I'm Canadian. I want to live in Canada after I graduate. I grew up in Toronto, and I know there's a lot of opportunities in production there, but Vancouver has always been known as "the Canadian film city". I understand that reputation is on shakey grounds right now, but I was wondering if anyone on GAF had any experience working in the entertainment industry up there. Returning to Toronto is an option, of course..but Vancouver would by far be my preference. I spent a lot of time there growing up, and there are a variety of reasons I could see myself living there long term. The wild card is the career.

My day job here is more or less as an editor/ producer...and I'm slowly learning more about the world of vfx, as well. I've found post-production to be a relatively lucrative and safe freelance option, and I'm pretty good at it. As I understand it, Vancouver excels in post-production studios, which seems fitting to me. Obviously post offers some overlap with the gaming industry as well..and I've found work on both sides of the fence. Canada in general plays a major role in the games industry, so that's really exciting to me.

Anyone have any tips, or resources I could look into? I guess one way I could proceed is to look into production internships in the summer up in Vancouver, but honestly..I could probably find more prestigious ones down here in California that might give my resume an edge if I return back to Canada..That said..I'm more than aware it's who you know, and not necessarily what you've done. If I want to work in Canada, perhaps it's best to make those inroads now.

Do you guys feel the future of the entertainment industry in Vancouver is secure? I know Toronto is making some power plays right now with tax incentives, etc..but I'm more interested in the long-term outlook.

lupin23rd

There's a store at Metro that has tons of Japanese stuff.. probably games too?

I was surprised to see a few Japanese games at this pawn shop on Granville (close to Davie). It just sells DVDs and a lot of games, they seemed to have a bunch of more retro games, including a boxed copy of 1943 for Famicom (unfortunately the box was beat to shit).

Zozobra

I've been doing VFX work here in Van for the last three years. The industry is pretty strong right now, but it won't last forever. You can make good money from it, but it is by no means secure - once the work dries up, most studios won't hesitate to lay people off.

The industry in California is dying. I work for a relatively large company and the vast majority of work that was once done in California has been sent up here because of the tax credits and as a result, many long-time artists in LA are migrating up.

If you really want to get into this business, you're probably better off trying to get work up here sooner rather than later. I'm not entirely sure from your write-up if you're looking to be an artist or in VFX production; but either way, my advice would be trying to get employed as a PA (production assistant) at a studio and then work your way up from there. The position is really at the bottom of the totem-pole, but it's going to be your best bet getting your foot in the door as competition from new grades up here is pretty intense, even though 95% of the students these schools churn out up here aren't even cut out for high-end VFX work.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Help me, VancouverGAF. You're my only hope.

I live in Los Angeles, where I'm getting an MFA in Film Production from USC. I definitely want to work in the business of creating television/films/games, but I really can't see myself living here for the rest of my life...nor am I willing to sacrifice liking where I live just for my career. Some people can do that, but I can't.

Obviously the opportunities here in California are unparalleled, but I'd argue there are more and more opportunities for people just starting out in other cities. LA tends to suck in and consolidate creative people from all over the world, but I think a decreasingly less amount of people get their start here.

Plus it sucks.

/rant

My point? I'm Canadian. I want to live in Canada after I graduate. I grew up in Toronto, and I know there's a lot of opportunities in production there, but Vancouver has always been known as "the Canadian film city". I understand that reputation is on shakey grounds right now, but I was wondering if anyone on GAF had any experience working in the entertainment industry up there. Returning to Toronto is an option, of course..but Vancouver would by far be my preference. I spent a lot of time there growing up, and there are a variety of reasons I could see myself living there long term. The wild card is the career.

My day job here is more or less as an editor/ producer...and I'm slowly learning more about the world of vfx, as well. I've found post-production to be a relatively lucrative and safe freelance option, and I'm pretty good at it. As I understand it, Vancouver excels in post-production studios, which seems fitting to me. Obviously post offers some overlap with the gaming industry as well..and I've found work on both sides of the fence. Canada in general plays a major role in the games industry, so that's really exciting to me.

Anyone have any tips, or resources I could look into? I guess one way I could proceed is to look into production internships in the summer up in Vancouver, but honestly..I could probably find more prestigious ones down here in California that might give my resume an edge if I return back to Canada..That said..I'm more than aware it's who you know, and not necessarily what you've done. If I want to work in Canada, perhaps it's best to make those inroads now.

Do you guys feel the future of the entertainment industry in Vancouver is secure? I know Toronto is making some power plays right now with tax incentives, etc..but I'm more interested in the long-term outlook.

The production side of things isn't going well in Vancouver right now, I believe. The tax credit in Toronto is bringing more and more productions to Toronto in the upcoming years. If you want to move back to Canada to work on editing and production-side of things, I may consider Toronto ahead of Vancouver.

Like Zozobra, I also work in the vfx side of things here in Vancouver. So, everything I can speak about will be more about the vfx-side of things. Currently, the vfx/post-production industry here is strong due to generous tax credits. A lot of studios are here and are busy with work. However, tax credits can change things very fast. Right now I'm just busy trying to work as much as I can. I don't know when it'll happen, but it probably will happen some time in the future. When the time comes, you will just have to be prepared to move.

London in UK seems like a pretty big hot spot for all types of film work though, from production to post-production. Maybe give that a look as well ?

beat

Plus it sucks.
I can't say anything authoritative about films or TV, but as for games, the scene in Vancouver used to be about (single) A or B games -- the mid-tier that's evaporated. EAC is changing - they don't have Need for Speed any more, they don't have NBA Live, and the studio is too big to be only doing FIFA and NHL. Relic is admirably holding on. Next Level is holding on too, I gather. But more and more, it seems like Vancouver is either EAC or mobile - it's not like the few remaining console devs (the ones I mentioned plus UFG and Capcom) are doing a lot of hiring. LA is a more active scene for console/PC development than Vancouver, not that LA is doing great. But it's doing better than Vancouver IMO, esp since Quebec and Ontario have vacuumed away a ton of devs who used to live in Vancouver.

Also, speaking as someone who just moved back from LA to Vancouver ... I miss LA a lot. It's a great city in a lot of ways and I say this as someone who went carfree in LA and hates sun and hot weather.

Cheerilee

I'm not connected to the industry, just some guy who occasionally reads the local newspapers, but in the short term, layoffs are coming for film in Vancouver. They're already happening, and local companies are fighting a losing battle trying to stay here. The BC government has no will to stop the bleeding. But there's always another election, and a new government (even a different Liberal government) could easily turn things around again.

In any case, I think that film in Vancouver is here to stay, to some degree. It was here long before Vancouver became known as Hollywood North, and it'll probably be here long after. But all of these layoffs are going to make positions in the New Vancouver hard to come by for a while. Vancouver's film industry has been pretty well-rounded and self-sufficient, but I wouldn't be surprised if some easily-relocated aspects of filmmaking dry up completely.

As a general strategy, if you want to be in Vancouver, you could try to break in, and hope that your job survives, and if you fail on either count, then you can always fall back to Toronto. If you can make it in Vancouver and another boom hits, you'll be in an advantageous position, and if you can't make it here once, you can always try again if/when a boom hits.

Just don't put down roots. Don't buy a house unless you're willing to sell it, and don't get married unless your wife is willing to deal with the fact that you might eventually need to move across the country for work (unless you happen to be in Toronto, and decide that getting married is way more important than your dreams of working in Vancouver).

Just a personal preference, but if you've got access to great schools that you can afford, and a willingness to learn, I'd stick with that. I prefer to be as good as I can be at whatever I do. Of course, my job sucks and my networking sucks and my genius is completely unappreciated. Perhaps these things are related, LOL.

Daft_Cat

Thanks for all the responses guys. Very helpful. I'm still quite young (recently turned 23), and obviously the MFA is still my first concern. The work I've found on the side is promising, but my outlook at this point is deciding where to start out. By leaving LA, I'm not really abandoning a livelihood..because I don't really have one here yet. I could always come back, rather on a project by project basis, or permanently sometime in the future... but I'd rather be here after having an already established reputation.

The chances of me returning to Canada are high, but it's not a decision I'll be able to make for a couple of years... so we'll see how all that looks by then. Vancouver shits on Toronto from high heights, so hopefully things spin in the city's favour.

Also, speaking as someone who just moved back from LA to Vancouver ... I miss LA a lot. It's a great city in a lot of ways and I say this as someone who went carfree in LA and hates sun and hot weather.

LA is a great city. Part of me does worry about missing it once I'm gone, but I feel increasingly strong about establishing a career back home in Canada. I guess there are a variety of reasons for that.

If you don't mind me asking, why'd you leave? Visa issues? I'm not too concerned about my chances of getting an O1 visa...but it's true that I might be facing a situation where I *have* to return to Canada. That's the tricky part about getting your start in a freelance industry in a country that you're not a citizen of. Canada offers me more in terms of opportunities just by virtue of the fact that I'm Canadian...Plus I miss rain!

lupinko

Apparently Clooney and Hugh Laurie are in town for Tomorrowland until Jan 15, and they are already doing the 50 Shades of Grey filming here under the Adventures of Max and Banks.

beat

If you don't mind me asking, why'd you leave? Visa issues? I'm not too concerned about my chances of getting an O1 visa..
Yeah, visa issues. I had a TN-1 visa and I got laid off, so... =P

You must be pretty awesome to get an O1 visa... I mean, Jose Calderon is pretty clearly one of the top 400-odd professional basketball players in the world and he went with a P-1 visa instead of O-1. Or maybe that was just because the paperwork for P-1 was faster and he needed it for a mid-season trade.

Plus I miss rain!
Oh, I don't like rain or sun. I missed overcast days.

Daft_Cat

Yeah, visa issues. I had a TN-1 visa and I got laid off, so... =P

You must be pretty awesome to get an O1 visa....

In my case it'd be an O1-B..but I'm not awesome at all.

Getting an O1 in my case would be a combination of a graduate degree from an American institution (USC is pretty respected in the production field), and a list of credits that have received some recognition. I've worked on some short films that have gone on to have decent festival circulation (primarily as an editor), and a couple have been bought by networks. That helps a lot..even though I haven't really seen a dime =P. The last thing I have to prove is that I'm working stably.

Take all of that, and mix in a decent immigration lawyer to formalize your application..and from what I gather, it's not too bad. Honestly, the fact that I'm in the US now as a student helps a huge amount. TN-1 is the other option, but since so much work in this industry is contract, I guess it's easier to run into issues. I'm just not a huge fan of jumping through all these hoops to work in a city that isn't really my favourite place to begin with. Part of me would rather turn an obstacle into an opportunity and test the waters in Vancouver or Toronto.

Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread any further with all this, but It sounds like you're a few years ahead of me. If you feel up to sharing some of your tips and experiences, I'd definitely appreciate it if you shot me a PM.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Thurs. Overnight
Clear
Clear
-3°C
Feels like -7

Heater in our apartment has been broken since Wednesday morning and the soonest the plumber can come is apparently tomorrow 1pm. Another night in an igloo. FUCK IT'S COLD

Cocaine

Banned
Anyone know a good place to get a TV? I just need something between the 30" and 40" mark that is 1080p and not over 350 bucks.

Firestorm

Anyone know a good place to get a TV? I just need something between the 30" and 40" mark that is 1080p and not over 350 bucks.
Amazon.com on Black Friday delivered to Point Roberts if you have a car. If not, probably see what the likes of Future Shop, Best Buy, Visions, Sears, etc. do over Black Friday: Crappy Canada Edition.

So Santa is driving me to work this morning. :)

SGyOnpy.jpg

Akim

Banned
Anyone know of any good places that are hiring at the moment? I'm looking for anything entry level. Something in an office maybe. I have a 4 year degree and a diploma in accounting.

I never thought I'd be looking for job leads on Neogaf.

Firestorm

Sorry :( Though if someone's an experienced developer familiar with node.js and interested in eSports my company wants to talk to you!

Sora_N

Anyone know of any good places that are hiring at the moment? I'm looking for anything entry level. Something in an office maybe. I have a 4 year degree and a diploma in accounting.

I never thought I'd be looking for job leads on Neogaf.

Office jobs seem pretty hard to find with no connection. I'm in the same situation as you. Good luck!

Do people not use Auto Trader in Vancouver or simply there's not much of a used car marker here?

Everytime I use my Auto Trader app on my phone; even when searching for popular car brands, like Corollas, Civics etc. I get slim pickings returns. Where as when I use the exact same search criteria for Toronto AT. I got literally, at least seven-eight times more results. what gives?!?

Cheerilee

Do people not use Auto Trader in Vancouver or simply there's not much of a used car marker here?

Everytime I use my Auto Trader app on my phone; even when searching for popular car brands, like Corollas, Civics etc. I get slim pickings returns. Where as when I use the exact same search criteria for Toronto AT. I got literally, at least seven-eight times more results. what gives?!?

Try Craigslist.

Craigslist Toronto results for "corolla" = 378
Craigslist Vancouver results for "corolla" = 2500

Sounds good, thanks guys!

I like the Kijiji App on my iphone... is there a Craigslist equivalent? (Maybe now I'll have better luck finding that used copy of GTA V for cheap)

Buying cars on Craigslist though? hmm ...

The cultural differences with Canada sure are interesting! (not sarcastic)

I totally agree, lived in the GTA most of my life, moved to Vancouver and been here for the past year, and everyday I discover how things are very different around here than they are in the East Coast (Ontario)

It's very different out here, every sense of the word, people, culture, climate, everything...it's not worse or better, (although most argue that it is) just different.

Also. in general Kijiji > Craigslist (Although I did just download a CL app for the iphone and I must admit, it's pretty damn intuitive and snazzy!)

I forgot about this, but let's get the ball rolling.

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy
Smiley90
Firestorm

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Down!

Make sure to regularly cross-post it to Canada-GAF and NHL-GAF (during Canucks games where most should see it?), maybe?

Cocaine

Banned
I forgot about this, but let's get the ball rolling.

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

I want to hang. But don't want to be outcasted. :(

Top Bottom