• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Dead said:
If this is really 4-6 hours on normal, Ill wait for the Bargain Bin, replay value or not. Hopefully other reviews paint a different picture.

Bayonetta lasted a good 16+ hours on the first normal playthrough for me...

Bayonetta is only supposed to be 8 - 10 hours long.

Dead said:
If this is really 4-6 hours on normal, Ill wait for the Bargain Bin, replay value or not. Hopefully other reviews paint a different picture.

Bayonetta lasted a good 16+ hours on the first normal playthrough for me...

WHAT! That is like twice the length of the game.

Colocho

Banned
I highly doubt the 4 hour length, hell everyone has said that Medal of Honor lasts about 4 hours as well and it took me about 6-7 without ever getting stuck or something like that. I still believe Mikami's proposed 8-10 (my guess is that it's Bayonetta length)

.la1n

I hate to be that guy but 4 hours is asking an awful lot from someone like me (on a low budget) for a $60 game. Will pass until cheaper, sorry Mikami. Loved the hell out of the demo :-(

edit: jumped the gun guys, once someone on GAF can confirm a playthrough time when not using auto-easy as most reviewers will THEN I can make a more educated decision.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
.la1n said:
I hate to be that guy but 4 hours is asking an awful lot from someone like me (on a low budget) for a $60 game. Will pass until cheaper, sorry Mikami. Loved the hell out of the demo :-(

edit: jumped the gun guys, once someone on GAF can confirm a playthrough time when not using auto-easy as most reviewers will THEN I can make a more educated decision.
I would just get the Kmart coupon and trade it in if you don't feel like investing any more time into it after the first playthrough. Between the $20 coupon and the ~$30 for the trade in you still wouldn't come out much worse than you would on a rental.

I hate the controls of GOW and the gamepad layout looks almost identical (fuck you, reload on right button!). The only console TPS I've played and thought controlled well was Mass Effect. I'm probably going to hate this game, but does it have autoaim options?

ChoklitReign said:
I hate the controls of GOW and the gamepad layout looks almost identical (fuck you, reload on right button!). The only console TPS I've played and thought controlled well was Mass Effect. I'm probably going to hate this game, but does it have autoaim options?

Easy Auto does.

ChoklitReign said:
So auto mode only includes auto aim? I thought it would include other things. Well, fuck that then.

Why?

CaptYamato said:
Why would I play only on Casual Auto? I hate console shooters. They just make you feel like you play like shit because the controls are shit. This game has nothing to do with Bayonetta, which I like.

Shurs

Game Informer usually gets shit for scoring games too high. Now they score a game too low and people are upset? :lol

I wonder if this is AVP all over again?

Shurs said:
Game Informer usually gets shit for scoring games too high. Now they score a game too low and they're getting shit on? :lol

I wonder if this is AVP all over again?
To be fair to GI, AVP actually did suck balls in the end.

jaekwon15 said:
Game Informer reviewed Vanquish and gave it a 7.5. they said the game was less than four hours long, and the zero gravity stage is extremely short.

Actually, it got a 7.75 (no second opinion). It's a small half-page review.

-Boss fights recycle early on
-the weapons aren't particularly impressive
-"you won't care about the story for a second"
-"Don't be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours or less"
-Most missions are "stand here and survive until the elevator is ready" variety

:/

Was my most anticipated game... I might RedBox it now since there are so many other games hitting right now.

Grrrrr....

Shurs

Scythesurge said:
People are changing their opinion of this game based off of one review from Game Informer? Wow.

I don't care what the score is, or how long it takes to complete the game, I'm still getting it on Tuesday. The Kmart deal is too good to pass up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ChoklitReign said:
Why would I play only on Casual Auto? I hate console shooters. They just make you feel like you play like shit because the controls are shit. This game has nothing to do with Bayonetta, which I like.

No, I'm pretty sure you play like shit because you play like shit.

thetrin said:
No, I'm pretty sure you play like shit because you play like shit.
Pretty much this. I can beat the second demo in four minutes, and the first one in the same amount of time. Don't criticize the game because you suck ass.

Amir0x

Banned
Shurs said:
I don't care what the score is, or how long it takes to complete the game, I'm still getting it on Tuesday. The Kmart deal is too good to pass up.

what's the k-mart deal?

I hope the four hour thing is not true. I rather a game that is quality over quantity, true enough, but that's just obscene for $60. With no multiplayer either, right? Yeah that's ridiculous if true. The demo was decent, but not "willing to pay $60 for four hours decent." :lol

ignore: whiners omg Game Informer marked a game too low that we anticipated fuck them shit bin them!

Game journalism is a fucking mess, but game fanboys? Always worse. Since game journalists are cut from the same cloth, it's no surprise there. All just a bunch of manchildren.

Adam J.

Not impressed by the weapons? I'm calling bullshit on that one. I've played both demos and I thought the weapons were great. Especially liked the lock-on laser from the JP challenge room demo.

Pooya

Amir0x said:
what's the k-mart deal?

I hope the four hour thing is not true. I rather a game that is quality over quantity, true enough, but that's just obscene for $60. With no multiplayer either, right? Yeah that's ridiculous if true. The demo was decent, but not "willing to pay $60 for four hours decent." :lol

ignore: whiners omg Game Informer marked a game too low that we anticipated fuck them shit bin them!

Game journalism is a fucking mess, but game fanboys? Always worse. Since game journalists are cut from the same cloth, it's no surprise there. All just a bunch of manchildren.

it's in the OP.

DrAndonuts said:
K-mart is having an awesome deal for Vanquish next week.

You get a $20 gaming coupon for another game, and then get $30 off a game on this list:

-Uncharted 2 GOTY
-Borderlands GOTY
-Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
-Halo Reach (All Editions)
-Dead Rising 2
-Mafia 2
-Read Dead Redemption
-F1: 2010
-Front Mission Evolved
-Quantum Theory
-Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
-R.U.S.E.
-H.A.W.X 2
-God of War 3
-Heavy Rain

So awesome.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
what's the k-mart deal?

Edit: Beaten by the post above mine.

Kmart is also reducing the price of Nier to $19.99 on the 17th.

Amir0x

Banned
Quotes from Vanquish Review:

"However impressive the action is, the game is a one-trick pony. Boss fights start recycling early on, the weapons aren't particularly impressive, and you won't care about the story for a second."

"...most battles are of the "stand here and survive until the elevator is ready" variety. The game is also very short. Don't be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours."

"If a dozen enemies are coming down a staircase toward you, it's hard not to feel like a badass when you rocket-slide away from them in slow motion while throwing a grenade over your shoulder."

Generally the review is very positive - it's almost an 8, people - but the lack of variety and short length prevented it from being a true classic in this guy's mind.

Shurs said:

Missed that part of the Op. Nier sucks but this is an amazing deal right here. Maybe I'll use my $25 dollar off coupon I already have to buy this then. At $35, that's not so bad then.

Adam J. said:
Not impressed by the weapons? I'm calling bullshit on that one. I've played both demos and I thought the weapons were great. Especially liked the lock-on laser from the JP challenge room demo.

I never played the second demo, but from the original (which I've played probably 10 times across both systems) there were two standard AR / machine guns and a shotgun that I never used. I don't see this as much of a close-quarters type of game so it seemed like an "every shooter has a shotgun" mandate kind of thing.

I have no doubt that there are some other cool things in there, but if people were whining about Medal of Honor having a four hour campaign, at least they have a Dice MP experience to fall back on.... Even to support a respected developer, $60 is a LOT to ask of your customers for such a short campaign (replay is granted, but only for a small percentage of players in most cases).

I feel really shitty for saying this, but I reckon the price will drop on this really fast and I'll end up picking it up on Black Friday for $19.99 somewhere. God damn it.

Fimbulvetr said:
Bayonetta is only supposed to be 8 - 10 hours long.
CaptYamato said:
WHAT! That is like twice the length of the game.

Pretty sure I took ~14 hours on my first Bayonetta playthrough. Sure you CAN beat the game in 3 hours, but that's after you know the levels, skip fights, and speed through in panther form.

If Vanquish is 4 hours on the first playthrough, I'll be pretty disappointed.

sonicmj1

Shurs said:

If that's a permanent price drop, I'll go back to buy it with the $20 gift card I get from Vanquish.

Dead

well not really...yet
Net_Wrecker said:
Pretty sure I took ~14 hours on my first Bayonetta playthrough. Sure you CAN beat the game in 3 hours, but that's after you know the levels, skip fights, and speed through in panther form.

If Vanquish is 4 hours on the first playthrough, I'll be pretty disappointed.
Pretty much. First playthrough was so much longer due to learning all the different moves, playstyles, earning halos, finding alfheims etc.

That is what im hoping for from Vanquish, so hopefully other reviews will shed more light on the game length and content...

Curufinwe

LiK said:
some people like to take their time.

I'm up to 15 hours in Bayonetta but have only finished the first five chapters because I've been spending so much time (and having so much fun) in the awesome training mode.

vic2020 said:
Does the GameInformer review mention anything about unlockables?

Nope. The review is six short paragraphs - first four are basics (plot/ Mikami/ sliding/ shooting). Last two sum up the bulletpoints I listed earlier.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know whether it's the 21st or 22nd for this in Australia?

I'm very excited, finally played around with the weapon variety in the second demo and really enjoyed switching weapons on the fly. The sky laser was so satisfying. Taking out five grunts at once from anywhere in the arena was awesome.

Adam J.

Look, I hate to shill for this game, but for those of you that are reconsidering buying this because of it's supposed length, but really enjoyed the demo and were excited for this game, hear this. When the JP challenge demo dropped I played it with a friend for 3 hours straight, about 2 of those were just trying to beat it(yeah we suck), and the other hour dedicated to just screwing around, trying new strategies, and, you know, having fun. I'm sure that the campaign will be a blast, but I'm willing to bet that the meat of the game will be in these challenge stages.

Curufinwe

4 hours for a first playthru on Normal is too short for a $60 game, but I really doubt most people will finish the game that quickly.

Sounds like the GI reviewer blasted thru on Easy so he could write the review the same day. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

RSB

Banned
Mirror's Edge Campaign is 3 hours long, and it is still one of the best games of this generation. Between the speedruns and the Time Attack levels I've played more than 100 hours of Mirror's Edge, and I've happily spent over 90 euros for it (I have both the 360 and PS3 versions, plus the DLC) The same happened with Bayonetta, short campaign, insane replayability. So yeah, the length of the Campaign doesn't mean that much, really (well, to me, at least)

Bye ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Team Klimt said:
I never played the second demo, but from the original (which I've played probably 10 times across both systems) there were two standard AR / machine guns and a shotgun that I never used. I don't see this as much of a close-quarters type of game so it seemed like an "every shooter has a shotgun" mandate kind of thing.

I have no doubt that there are some other cool things in there, but if people were whining about Medal of Honor having a four hour campaign, at least they have a Dice MP experience to fall back on.... Even to support a respected developer, $60 is a LOT to ask of your customers for such a short campaign (replay is granted, but only for a small percentage of players in most cases).

I feel really shitty for saying this, but I reckon the price will drop on this really fast and I'll end up picking it up on Black Friday for $19.99 somewhere. God damn it.

The second demo has the lock on laser, the disc launcher and the rocket launcher. It changes your opinion on the arsenal IMMENSELY.

Amir0x

Banned
RSB said:
Mirror's Edge Campaign is 3 hours long, and it is still one of the best games of this generation. Between the speedruns and the Time Attack levels I've played more than 100 hours of Mirror's Edge, and I've happily spent over 90 euros in it (I have both the 360 and PS3 versions, plus the DLC) The same happened with Bayonetta, short campaign, insane replayability. So yeah, the length of the Campaign doesn't mean that much, really (well, to me, at least)

Bye ;)

Anyone who finished Mirror's Edge in 3 hours on the first play through is a liar. Sorry. I don't care what bullshit story you try to concoct, on your first play you did not beat the game in 3 hours. You would have had to run perfect all platforming challenges non-stop knowing the exact solution each time without hesitation. Impossible on a first run.

Later on, maybe a second playthrough, certainly possible.

Also, the specific way the time trials are built into the levels provide a certain level of incentivizing I did not see in the Vanquish demo at all. In fact, it was non-existent. I don't think the games are worth comparing.

RSB

Banned
Amir0x said:
Anyone who finished Mirror's Edge in 3 hours on the first play through is a liar. Sorry. I don't care what bullshit story you try to concoct, on your first play you did not beat the game in 3 hours.

Later on, maybe a second playthrough, certainly possible.
Did I say anything about a first playthrough? No.

Bye ;)

Amir0x

Banned
RSB said:
Did I say anything about a first playthrough? No.

DERP

anybody can beat even 10 hour average campaigns in under 2 hours after memorizing layouts and shit

the only fucking sensible to this conversation point is if it's four hours or less ON THE FIRST TIME THROUGH

otherwise if you're doing that on a second or third playthrough, guess what, you already automatically sunk in more hours than that.

I'm not even sure how you thought your point was relevant otherwise.

Top Bottom