• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
If he believes he cannot do it and this is the best for the movie, I'm totally OK with this, specailly considering he's still leading the project.

They need a director who is A) open, B) good, and C) wants to play well with former director and locked-in star Ben Affleck. This is not a small undertaking. Either a lot will get changed, or someone is getting paid very, very well.

So basically Michael Bay then?
replace with Kevin Smith if needed

although an actual violent version might be done by Ed Harris. Doubt he's into a rushjob though. So, what Whedon doing this time a year? Nottun'?
Seriously though, Kevin Smith would literally kill to direct a Batman movie. I know he's not who you'd think of, but if you gotta go, you gotta go. And the executive board will be breathing in his neck anyway.
Who else they gonna hire? Max Landis? ... oh god, they would actually consider that.

Brett Ratner, you're up!

Okay, one of the Gilroys or Greengrass then. But those are actual directors, not schmucks for hire.

Time for Denis Villeneuve take on super hero.

I doubt that any prominent and award-winning director is going to want to approach the DCCU for a while. I've seen suggestions of Villeneuve, Fincher and Aronofsky in this thread but I think these guys are completely off-limits for DC. Hell, even Marvel probably couldn't get them.

And the Kevin Smith nonsense is hilarious. He can't direct an action scene to save his life and the one time he wrote Batman he had him shit his pants. No thanks, it would be worse than Suicide Squad.

Alienous

Tell me... Does the DCEU bleed?

VKEtWjz.png

It do.

Man of Steel/BVS/SS looks cool.

This is how it starts. At some point you're enabling the incompetence.

Shit's gonna show up on HBO within the calendar year. It's fine to not see everything day or weekend one. Vote with your dollars because god knows that's the only way these people will ever actually change and bother to make their stuff good

Rymuth

Please tell me you're joking.

ANDERSON: The central characters are very relatable American characters. You take a person from the ordinary world who thinks they’re in a dead end job, they have no future, they feel like their life’s a failure, it’s going nowhere, like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. It’s about a normal American who gets dragged into this parallel world, this Monster Hunter world. Then eventually the parallel world ends up coming to our world. So you have the creatures from the Monster Hunter world invading our world.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318463

Alienous

How long until he also steps down from being Batman?

I'm assuming he's signed up to 3 movies + Suicide Squad, as Justice League was a two-parter, and Live by Night was a critical and commercial flop, so he might have to wait until Daredevil 2 Batman to get out of the DCEU.

Theorry

Understandable imo. I mean the pressure was huge. People kept asking and asking. And directing while playing Batman and being in the suit also? That would be no fun also. Atleast he is still producing. Curious about the new director. Would be awesome to see Jenkins do it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This cinematic universe is a bust. I won't even watch these movies on home video, let alone theatres.

Shredderi

I wonder if Affleck genuinely regrets getting involved with the character at this point.

I think he does. He seems to want to bail out of the whole DCU thing. I don't blame the guy at all if that is the case. DCU is a fucking mess. It's almost interesting to see how much worse they did things compared to Marvel even though they have killer properties as well.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Anybody who believes Kevin Smith should ever be allowed to direct a Batman film needs to watch Yoga Hosers.

Kevin Smith should be banned from even setting foot near a film set under pain of death.

Even if it is as bad as Yoga Hosers, it's still a step up from the placenta called BvS. Kevin Smith at his worst coudn't make BvS or Suicide Squad. Kevin Smith at his best would fucking rock the shit out of Batman. I'm talking Clerks, Chasing Amy. At this point, it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario is they have another turd, best case scenario is they got a rare Smith-gem.

But honestly, I prefer the John Wick-team on The Batman and the DCEU in general.

Even if it is as bad as Yoga Hosers, it's still a step up from the placenta called BvS. Kevin Smith at his worst coudn't make BvS or Suicide Squad. Kevin Smith at his best would fucking rock the shit out of Batman. I'm talking Clerks, Chasing Amy. At this point, it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario is they have another turd, best case scenario is they got a rare Smith-gem.

But honestly, I prefer the John Wick-team on The Batman and the DCEU in general.

Clerks and Chasing Amy were made decades ago. These days, Smith has a worse track record than Snyder and Ayer. And at least they can deliver pretty visuals. Plus no studio is ever going to give Smith a $100+ million budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom