• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

What's George Miller up to? I'm surprised WB hasn't thrown money at him to get him on one of these movies.
I'm pretty sure you won't get George Miller to direct superhero movies just by throwing money at him. He's 71 and probably doesn't do movies just for money at this point in his life.

RexNovis

Banned
It boggles the mind just how horribly the DC Cinematic Universe has screwed the pooch. Tick this up as yet another casualty I suppose.

Holy shit.
I think Affleck is a bit overrated as a director so I'm not that disappointed but the implications of this are huge for DC. At this point, I'm expecting the entire thing to be cancelled if the second weekend numbers of Justice League are not good enough for WB. And I fully expect them not to be but I'd be happy to be wrong.

But maybe this will turn out to be a good thing in the end. WB doesn't have the vision for a shared universe but I wouldn't mind for them to return to stand-alone movies. Not everyone has to be Marvel. Still, this stings, I liked Man of Steel so damn much, it's a shame everything has turned out so terribly since then.

Evo X

Why is everyone freaking out?

He says he can't direct it as it will deter him from giving the best performance. Seems reasonable.

Kevin Smith knows his comics, knows how to translate them to the screen, he understands the essence of a character, he's in no way fit to direct a Batman movie in the current DCEU.

Gross. A Kevin Smith batman movie would be a piece of garbage worse than even suicide squad.

He's a cool guy and I like some of his comedies but man a big budget action movie from him....lmao. I'm sure he's got the common sense to know he couldn't do it either.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I love Kevin Smith and most of his movies, but uhhh please no. He can't direct a tent pole movie like Batman even if his life depended on it. He flat out admits he doesn't know how to direct action like in BvS and lets the crew do most of the heavy lifting on his Flash and Supergirl episodes. He's good for the talking scenes, but not much else.

rec0ded1

People need to stop

Gaf, Gaf, I mean, I know you're a sophisticated forum, The DC movieverse is a mess. The fanbase is as angry as it gets. What, you think this is going to cause a little more anger?
The fanbase is an angry place.The DC movieverse is a total mess, take a look at what's happening with Justice league. Take a look at what's happening with Wonder Woman. Take a look at what's going on with The Batman.

And people are asking Kevin Smith to direct and their suggestions are all over the place. The DC movieverse is a mess

3N16MA

Banned
I thought this was one of the reasons why they wanted him to begin with. To direct and star in a Batman solo film.

They can now bring in Darren Aronofsky to direct.

120v

I love to shit on the handling of these movies but seems to me Ben just wasn't ready to direct a blockbuster when the rubber hit the road ... nbd

3N16MA

Banned
I'm pretty sure you won't get George Miller to direct superhero movies just by throwing money at him. He's 71 and probably doesn't do movies just for money at this point in his life.

He was all ready to direct Justice League when it came crashing down at the last minute.

He was all ready to direct Justice League when it came crashing down at the last minute.

Yeah, but he didn't have the weight of having to rescue an entire cinematic universe on his shoulders. He was free to do his own film at the time, now he would have to deal with a lot of bad decisions he had nothing to do with.

They should get Matthew Vaughan to do it. He's already done three excellent and totally different comic book movies and I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the chance to do Batman.

And from what I saw many people were tired of Affleck in front of and behind the camera. And he realized it too.

Yeah, okay. I think you're just making shit up. People were excited that Affleck was going to direct as he's bloody good at it and we trusted him getting a lot of creative control would be a good thing.

Rymuth

MoH9VnM.jpg

He says he can't direct it as it will deter him from giving the best performance. Seems reasonable.

Same here, everybody is freaking out for nothing. I'm just holding out to see how Wonder woman and justice league pan out...

gforguava

Same here, everybody is freaking out for nothing. I'm just holding out to see how Wonder woman and justice league pan out...
People are not freaking out over nothing, they are simply pointing at the continuing trainwreck that is the DCEU. This isn't like a complicated thing we have here, I mean this is what, the 5th Director to leave a DCEU film? That is more than the number films made at this point.

People brushing this off is kind of astounding, a Director leaving a film this far into production is always a big deal, and with the DCEU and its history of bad decisions that just compounds things.

This is being made by people who've said that these films are "Filmmaker driven" and then multiple Directors have left over "creative differences", there is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
I watched that for the first time a few months back and was taken aback by how big of an influence it clearly was for Silent Hill.

Warner Bros. CEO Jeff Bewkes expected the film to be around 18 months out from September 2016. The Batman is supposed to begin production Spring 2017 and now the production needs to find a director. Leaving behind the rumors about Affleck and company having problems with the script, because that's neither here nor there, Warner Bros and the current Batman production team need to find a new director.

They need a director who is A) open, B) good, and C) wants to play well with former director and locked-in star Ben Affleck. This is not a small undertaking. Either a lot will get changed, or someone is getting paid very, very well.

Here's the current film schedule:

Wonder Woman - June 2, 2017
Justice League - November 17, 2017
The Flash - March 28, 2018
Aquaman - October 5, 2018
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Green Lantern Corps - July 24, 2020

The problem is largely that Warner Bros isn't taking the time to make great films.

-Ayer had to write Suicide Squad in six weeks, and WB couldn't figure out what tone they wanted.
-Justice League had to continue on with Synder after the underperformance of BvS, because the production start date was right around the corner from BvS launch date.
-Wonder Woman lost its original director in April 2015 due to "creative differences", but Patty Jenkins stepped a short time later. That's coming in June of this year, so just over two years for production, editing, and release. Pretty grand! I'm hopeful for this one.
-The Flash is currently on hiatus, because former directors Seth Grahame-Smith and Rick Famuyiwa both left the project citing "creative differences". That was supposed to be on the schedule next.
-Aquaman is actually the golden boy. So far, there's nothing bad about it. The screenwriter isn't amazing, but James Wan is a great director and the cast is solid. Yay!
-Shazam has no director. Last month it was announced that they were also making a Black Adam film and Shazam had a new screenwriter working on it.
-Cyborg has nothing but its star. Way off, but they should be firming this up. Not a huge problem.
-Green Lantern Corps just got co-writers for the screenplay. Like Cyborg, way off. Why this has a screenwriter before Cyborg, which was announced prior, is mystifying. Still, less of a problem.
-Gotham City Sirens isn't on the schedule at all, but has a director and screen play? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Justice League 2 was originally scheduled for June 14, 2019, but was pushed back indefinitely.

There's two issues. One, WB gives off the feeling of spinning in place, throwing stuff out and hoping anything sticks. As a cohesive production schedule, it leaves a lot to be desired. In contrast, the competition has films planned only until the end of 2019. They have scripts for everything already and only need to find a director for Captain Marvel, coming in March 2019.

Two, as Bobby says, it feels like WB is waiting to see how Justice League performs before really committing. It's the tentpole and it's smart to be worried that Synder may not deliver the rousing success they want. It will likely make a profit regardless, but WB wants Batman and Harry Potter money. They'll course correct until they get there, but it makes it very chaotic to plan out a film slate.

If you step back and look at it all, it's not a situation that breeds confidence. Hell, I didn't even expect to write this much, but here we are. It's a shame, because these are easy sells. I've said repeatedly that DC's main heroes are a much bigger sell than the primary characters Marvel is working with. If they made great films, the sky would be the limit. But they're not. They're making mediocre films at best.

hidys

Let Kevin Smith direct it, fuck it. At least it'll be different.

Kevin Smith knows his comics, knows how to translate them to the screen, he understands the essence of a character, he's in no way fit to direct a Batman movie in the current DCEU.

Anybody who believes Kevin Smith should ever be allowed to direct a Batman film needs to watch Yoga Hosers.

Kevin Smith should be banned from even setting foot near a film set under pain of death.

This is by far the biggest ongoing clusterfuck I've seen in film history, so congrats DCCU fans, this saga will certainly be remembered for at least a long long long time after it's finally all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom