• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

I don't know why, but Dan's simple observation of "I am having a bad year" made me laugh really hard.

Liked this episode a lot more than the last one, season premiere was still the strongest though.

Great episode.

The China and documentary will be their undoing. Richards line about favorite Deniro movie made me laugh way too much. His delivery was so good

eloestmn

Someone tell me I'm not the only one worried after the last episode. I feel like the show is turning into other mainstream comedy shows, except I don't watch those, so maybe this is in my head? It's a reactionary thing to say after only one troubling episode, but there's some portentous stuff here.

Things used to run at a frantic jam packed pace, now everyone's stretching out. Like that old lovable pro is actually senile story would have been contained within one episode. We've got characters that are suddenly entirely about one thing. "Hi, I'm Catherine, I've got a camera." "Hi, I'm Mike, I'm an old guy trying to get healthy because I've got a kid on the way." So, losing the comedy show that runs at light speed isn't great, but it's affecting depth as well. Oh, and there's also going to be a recap and then a lead in joke and the credits scene has been appropriated for just more show as well.

You're not.

Ive noticed the change as well. I still enjoy it, but you can obviously see the difference between Ianucchi's show and these new show runners.

royalan

Great episode.

The China and documentary will be their undoing. Richards line about favorite Deniro movie made me laugh way too much. His delivery was so good

Great season so far, but I'm HOPING they've got something else planned for the "Doc" because that documentary biting Selena in the ass and causing her the Presidency has been such an obvious possibility from the moment it was introduced that I'll be really disappointed if they go through with that.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one worried after the last episode. I feel like the show is turning into other mainstream comedy shows, except I don't watch those, so maybe this is in my head? It's a reactionary thing to say after only one troubling episode, but there's some portentous stuff here.

Things used to run at a frantic jam packed pace, now everyone's stretching out. Like that old lovable pro is actually senile story would have been contained within one episode. We've got characters that are suddenly entirely about one thing. "Hi, I'm Catherine, I've got a camera." "Hi, I'm Mike, I'm an old guy trying to get healthy because I've got a kid on the way."

They've always had arcs stretch across multiple episodes or seasons so I don't really get that reaction. From Jonah's blogging adventures to the Swedish PM to Patton Oswalt I don't really see how you can say that is a change.

One dimensional characters is maybe a thing, but its really just one or two characters exhibiting that and honestly all those characters have always been that way - Catherine the invisible awkward daughter, Mike the moron, Jonah the clueless, etc.

For me the core of the show is Selena constantly being out of her depth, surrounded by idiots, and an insane rapid fire insult joke machine always firing. So far this season its firing on all cylinders for me, even better than last season imo which was a bit uneven in quality. Honestly it feels like the same people who ran and wrote the show in seasons 1-3 are still in charge, which I know isn't true but feels the same.

The queen is a cunt line and Senator Furlong's dinner conversations had me dying.

Oh when I was googling around found out the actress playing Catherine is Keifer Sutherland's daughter IRL!

I like Dan Bakkedahl, but his character in this is just too much. Not at all believable. I wish they'd tone it down a bit.

Good episode all in all though. That is one fine looking President.

Dmax3901

Furlong in the restaurant had me laughing so god damn hard. Such a great show and I'm so glad the quality hasn't dipped this season.

Great season so far, but I'm HOPING they've got something else planned for the "Doc" because that documentary biting Selena in the ass and causing her the Presidency has been such an obvious possibility from the moment it was introduced that I'll be really disappointed if they go through with that.

I think there will be a twist that the documentary will be really well edited and make selina look amazing and maybe wing things her way.

I wonder if the Chinese hacker thing is going to result in her losing the election. It's been brought up every episode(?) and her blaming them for the tweet and then putting sanctions on China can't be the end of it...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
When selina called the queen a cunt
came so out of the blue I choked on my food

mclem

Loved this visual gag:

mrLnFPl.png

UtSg8Vm.png

HyGZK6N.png

rtcn63

I wonder if the Chinese hacker thing is going to result in her losing the election. It's been brought up every episode(?) and her blaming them for the tweet and then putting sanctions on China can't be the end of it...

Possibly her daughter ends up storing her doc(umentary) on her computer or in the cloud, and the hackers get to it. Though I wouldn't expect until late-season at the earliest.

Mr. F

Banned

Agreed, after catching up on the current eps back to back the pacing feels a bit off and the dialogue a bit less sharp and clumsier than previous seasons. I'm hoping it's just early eps and they find their rhythm soon...

New episode tonight:
Mother

Selina rushes to the hospital while attempting to win the presidency; Amy and Dan discover the O'Brien camp has staged a fake protest; Mike and Wendy meet with a potential surrogate. 

BigAT

Not digging this episode. No backstory with her mom makes it really hard to justify how she was acting.

Yeah, when I heard about the premise of Selina's mother coming into the fold I assumed they would cast an older comedy actress and there would be some fantastic back and forth between her and Selina. This was...not that.

"Katherine, you have no idea what it's like to be the only daughter of a pathological narcissist. All this woman did was criticize me or ignore me." So good.

Chase17

Thought it was a fine episode. Worked for me since I completely buy that Selina would care far more about her election then her mother. I was expecting the mother to have a role as mentioned above, and was surprised to see otherwise.

Poor Mike keeps struggling to get a baby thanks to Selina's decisions. Also was that Tim Mcgraw song a christmas song?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I found this episode extremely funny. Very brutal though. Holy shit! It was like the recap of the Seinfeld episode where George's fiancee dies, but much more serious.

Hamlet

Amazing episode and man was it hard to watch at times haha. So many awkward/cringe inducing scenes.
Tony Hale's facial expression were also on point in this episode too.

Meier

This was one of the best episodes in the show's history. You don't need more back story with her mom -- it's all provided in her quotes about her.

The line about how she wished her mother had been alive to see such a diverse crowd on her property was maybe the finest line of the night. It spoke volumes.

Meier

Just in case anyone missed it, splettnet.net is a real thing

Thank you for sharing this. I absolutely loved the first entry:

"Locked out of my apartment last night. Just as the locksmith showed up, I realized the keys were in my back pocket. Javier, the locksmith, seemed so jazzed to drill my locks, I just couldn’t bring myself to tell him it was in vain. Had an amazing convo with Javier as he was working, all about how his mother and brother don’t get along. At the end of it, he said, “I feel like I should pay you for listening to me,” but then he gave me the bill. Still, the most personally rewarding $250 I’ve spent in some time."

Perfection.

Empty

that was a really fantastic episode wow

properly biting in a way the show rarely is, with the way that selina's relationship with her mother is so deeply entrenched within her it's inconceivable to her that anyone else could care about her or see her as anything other than awful.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Great episode while at the same time the most uncomfortable to watch of the show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When Selina was laughing hysterically just moments after she pulled the plug on her mother and then Katherine walked in.

Bruh.

gamz

This was one of the best episodes in the show's history. You don't need more back story with her mom -- it's all provided in her quotes about her.

The line about how she wished her mother had been alive to see such a diverse crowd on her property was maybe the finest line of the night. It spoke volumes.

This. That was dark comedy at it's best.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
that was a very Curb-esque episode.

Absolutely. It felt like a different programme (for better or worse). Which makes complete sense given Mandel.

The scene in the hospital when Catherine came back was painful. The moment between Tom and Selina was a nice touch too.

Meier

How good was the scene with Mike and Wendy and the surrogate? "A lot of people think I'm Jewish..." Then losing her due to the DNR? And Kent asking them if they told her there was no rational explanation about a higher power? I howled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom