• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spasm

Actiss said:
Does anybody else's Droid X randomly reset itself for no reason? For instance, the other day the phone was sitting on my desk at work when I noticed that it went back to the "droid eye" logo just as if I had turned it on. And then last night I tried to answer a call from my girlfriend it reboot itself. The gingerbread update didn't seem to help any.
I had this same problem after going to FroYo from Eclair. Persisted until I did a factory reset. Now I always do a factory reset after an update. Gingerbread has been stable as a rock for me.

womp

Actiss said:
Does anybody else's Droid X randomly reset itself for no reason? For instance, the other day the phone was sitting on my desk at work when I noticed that it went back to the "droid eye" logo just as if I had turned it on. And then last night I tried to answer a call from my girlfriend it reboot itself. The gingerbread update didn't seem to help any.
Upgrade to Gingerbread, problem solved. Everyone in my family with an X has had that issue - not anymore.

just got me the otterbox case for my x, and holy shit it seems indestructible now, and the fact its roughly the size of my dsi haha. great for 25 bucks :)

Spasm

New update hit today (US). 4.5.602. Haven't been able to find any release notes yet.

Dunno if I'm going to grab it yet as I haven't suffered any of the glitches everyone's screaming about. Plus, I hate to lose this:
a1rb00.ongoing

are Droid 2/3 Global phones good? I can select between that, or a Droid Pro, but I really have no idea what the differences are or if there's a general consensus concerning the superiority between them.

CRS

So I got a new Droid X after my previous one got stolen. :( The worst part is it came with Gingerbread already on it. Anyone know what the easiest way to root the phone is? That's if it's even possible to root it.

Prodigal

Banned
My phone sure has been laggy lately...freezes for a few seconds constantly sometimes. Even when I kill the apps it seems to get laggy only moments later.

Prodigal said:
My phone sure has been laggy lately...freezes for a few seconds constantly sometimes. Even when I kill the apps it seems to get laggy only moments later.

Hmmm, mine too. It has always done this but it used to be only once in a blue moon. Past week or so its often enough where its very noticeable.

tehbible

make sure you take the .605 DroidX update. This will fix the freezing/reboots that people have been getting. its related to the stock keyboard.

droidx-update-605.jpg

Prodigal

Banned
The update helped for a few days but now my phone is back into its laggy state. Almost every time I try to open an app or something it'll lag for a few seconds. :(

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Prodigal said:
The update helped for a few days but now my phone is back into its laggy state. Almost every time I try to open an app or something it'll lag for a few seconds. :(

Mine was doing this badly but I deleted a few apps and the problem seems to have vanished.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Prodigal said:
Me too. It reboots randomly, it switches from my doggcatcher app to my stock player and it plays a random song or podcast, and my dolphin or stock web browser are slower than molasses. This shit is getting annoying.

RiccochetJ said:
Me too. It reboots randomly, it switches from my doggcatcher app to my stock player and it plays a random song or podcast, and my dolphin or stock web browser are slower than molasses. This shit is getting annoying.

I've had the X for over a year and it's now a big blocky piece of laggy garbage. I mean, seriously, all I do is browse the net and do email for work. RIDICULOUS. Last Motorola phone I ever buy.

I've had all those problems and then some.

I've gone through CM7 to MIUI and back to CM7.

My phone still has issues, but not nearly as bad as was happening before.
on CM7 right now, my GPS don't work (heven't even looked into fixing it yet) and the Swype keyboard freezes for the first 5-7 seconds every once in a while when I enter the texting app.

Other than that, it's smooth. I think I need to see if there has been a new CM7 Droid X update.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Superblatt said:
I've had the X for over a year and it's now a big blocky piece of laggy garbage. I mean, seriously, all I do is browse the net and do email for work. RIDICULOUS. Last Motorola phone I ever buy.
You too huh? I picked it up release day and it was the first smartphone I've ever owned. Love the big screen that they've given me, but a lot of the implementation has been pitiful with these recent updates. And I know it's going to take 6 months before they push out a patch. Sorry, I'm not brave enough or have the time to mess around with rooting.

Rooting for the first time was a pain in the ass for the Droid X.

My girl has an Evo 4G and she must have rooted it in under 20 minutes on her first time. It took me about 2.5 hours to get it to work on my Droid X and another 2.5 hours to mod it and get all my shit back installed and setup the way I like it.

It was much quicker the 2nd and 3rd time though since i already had everything in place to do the rooting and knew which instructions to follow and which programs to use..

KiKaL

BlackNMild2k1 said:
My phone still has issues, but not nearly as bad as was happening before.
on CM7 right now, my GPS don't work (heven't even looked into fixing it yet) and the Swype keyboard freezes for the first 5-7 seconds every once in a while when I enter the texting app.

Other than that, it's smooth. I think I need to see if there has been a new CM7 Droid X update.

I don't have any of those issues with CM7, I am on maybe a week old build. I actually really haven't had any issues with my DX. Although I do clear my phone and start over every few months.

Prodigal

Banned
Gouty said:
Mine was doing this badly but I deleted a few apps and the problem seems to have vanished.

Is there any safe way to revert my phone back to a cleaner state with just the stock apps and stuff installed? I'd rather not go through and uninstall everything I have to find the problem lol

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Prodigal said:
Is there any safe way to revert my phone back to a cleaner state with just the stock apps and stuff installed? I'd rather not go through and uninstall everything I have to find the problem lol

Don't worry about it, my comments were premature. My phone still hangs constantly.

:(

grendelrt

Ever since the .605 update my phone is a laggy mess that randomly resets. So tired of these updates screwing up the phone. Dont think I will be buying another Motorola phone again.

eBay. You can always find accessories for old devices there.

Install CyanogenMod on your X if you haven't already. It makes the thing into a whole new phone which is awesome.

An-Det

eBay. You can always find accessories for old devices there.

Install CyanogenMod on your X if you haven't already. It makes the thing into a whole new phone which is awesome.

I've been considering this for a while. Is there anything that doesnt work with it (I've seen stuff like gps having problems, but they were older posts)? Anything you could tell me would be great, I'd love to hear about it from someone (rather than CM's site).

I've been considering this for a while. Is there anything that doesnt work with it (I've seen stuff like gps having problems, but they were older posts)? Anything you could tell me would be great, I'd love to hear about it from someone (rather than CM's site).

CyanogenMod 7 on Droid X:

- an AOSP ROM which delivers a nearly-pure, stock Android experience (the launcher is replaced!)
- includes ADWLauncher as the stock launcher, because nobody likes the stock Gingerbread launcher
- comes pre-rooted and will be forever rooted!
- runs faster at stock 1 ghz clock than MotoShit Gingerbread did at 1.3 ghz OCed
- everything loads faster, apps load faster, apps install faster, apps uninstall faster, apps run faster, the OS runs faster, everything is faster, booting is much faster (the phone boots in seconds from a cold start)
- doesn't lag, hang, freeze, crash, or reboot constantly like ShittyBlur
- did I mention how fast, fluid, and speedy it is compared to MotoBlur?
- did I mention how the only time my phone reboots now is when I reboot it myself?
- has the same battery life as BlurryShit even without the custom battery management that messes with streaming and syncing by killing your data connection
- supports custom themes using built-in theme manager
- includes DSPManager add-on for custom equalizers, works with all music players
- has a ton of advanced settings and configuration options exposed by default
- CRT on/off screen animation enabled by default! you can still turn them off, but why?
- GPS and camera work correctly in latest build, camcorder supports 720p but still a bit buggy (won't focus)
- WiFI and Bluetooth both work correctly
- the stock Camera app actually defaults to 8MP resolution and doesn't reset it's setting to Widescreen every time you reboot like the Blur Camera app

Things that were fucked up in MotoShit that work in CM7:

- Stock music player works correctly and has built-in support for lockscreen widgets. The Gingerbread stock player in ShittyBlur crashes and reboots the phone when the screen turns off. Note that using the Google Music player on Android Market worked around this problem but you lost the lockscreen widget.

- Stock Gingerbread browser doesn't slow phone down and eventually crash and reboot the phone. NeoGAF would literally always make the phone crash before. By comparison, the stock browser is flawless in CM7, I never knew it could be this good. I still use Firefox 8 on my Touchpad but I'm actually really happy with the stock browser on my X now for light browsing, including the full GAF site!

- Memory management is truly automatic. The phone doesn't slow down and eventually crash and reboot when memory gets full now, mainly because there isn't BlurryShit constantly running in the background wasting CPU cycles and memory. There is literally no need for task killers with CM7!

- MotoShit includes a custom lockscreen, this fucked up any applications (including 3rd party music players) which replaced the lockscreen with their own. CM7 also has custom lockscreens (including classic slider, button, and Sense-style wheel) but when another app replaces the lockscreen, CM7 gets out of the way and doesn't fuck everything up.

- Push notifications and app timed notifications work correctly. MotoBlur was notorious for fucking up notifications with it's social networking integration, for example I was NEVER able to get the Facebook for Android app's notifications to work correctly. Notifications work correctly in CM7, no notifications arriving hours later or every notifications getting duplicated and always firing twice. The double notifications bug in some apps used to drive me insane in BlurryShit.

- Constantly losing 3G connection and dropping to 1X in areas where signal is very strong. This used to drive me nuts, and I believed (incorrectly) that I was having issues with poor signal or dead spots. However with CM7 all the places I used to get the 3G/1X connection dropping, I now retain 3G with 4-5 bars all the time! I wonder if Verizon knows that Motorola is making their network look bad.

- Motorola has abandoned the X with literally hundreds of bugs, many of them show-stoppers as I have outlined above. No further updates to this phone seem to be coming, so if you want a working Gingerbread build instead of downgrading to Froyo as many people have, you need CM7. If you want Ice Cream Sandwich on the X, you need CM9.

It's funny thinking about it now, I lived with the literally hundreds of unfixed bugs, many of them serious crashes and reboots bugs all this time. I was ready to upgrade to Galaxy Nexus and throw my Droid X off a bridge into the ocean afterwards. Then I installed CM7 and suddenly it felt like I literally had a new phone. I don't understand what Motorola hoped to accomplish by making such a terribly unoptimized, buggy, terrible custom skin for Android. I heard owners of Droid 2/3, X2, Bionic, Razr, and the Motorola Atrix also have a lot of problems with their phones because of MotoShit being on those phones too.

The only way I will EVER buy another Motorola phone ever again the rest of my natural life is if the bootloader is unlocked and I can install CyanogenMod on it out of the box. BlurryShit is an atrocity which I can never forgive them for.

There was one thing I really liked about my X before CM7, and that was the DROIIIIIIID! notification sound. Fortunately you can download it and use it as your notification sound in CM7, so even After Blur your phone can still yell DROIIIIIIID! at you when you get a notification! And notifications work now, so your phone can tell you it's a DROIIIIIID! all day and night if you really want it to!

(I set my phone to Silent at night.)

Just so you don't think your phone shits sunshine and rainbows ALL the time with CM7, there are a few unresolved issues with CM7:

- When you plug the phone in to charge it, the notification LED above the screen comes on continuously and remains lit until the phone is fully charged. At night it lights your room up with an eerie green glow while you try to sleep. The only solution right now is to the turn the phone upside-down while you sleep at night.

- HDMI output is not working. I used it once when I first got the phone just to see it working, then I never used it again. Does anyone actually use the micro-HDMI output on the X?

- The X has an RGB notification LED but right now the only color all notifications flash is green. I don't know if anyone cared about the color-coded notification LED blinks before, but if you did, it's not in CM7.

- The camcorder is still buggy, after they added 720p support it stopped auto-focusing. It doesn't crash constantly like the Blur camcorder app does though. Pick your poison here.

hermit7

X has an RGB notification LED but right now the only color all notifications flash is green. I don't know if anyone cared about the color-coded notification LED blinks before, but if you did, it's not in CM7.
I am running the the th kernel version and the led can be switched to whatever you want for each notification. Emails different colors that sms, gmail different than yahoo etc. It is in the settings of com.

Are any MIUI ROMs bug-free enough to run for non tech-savvy people? I want to give my mom-in-law an update because her stock Gingerblur is getting sluggish, and I'm trying to decide between MIUI and CM7.

hermit7

Are any MIUI ROMs bug-free enough to run for non tech-savvy people? I want to give my mom-in-law an update because her stock Gingerblur is getting sluggish, and I'm trying to decide between MIUI and CM7.

personally after running the two I prefer CM7. MIUI is a little too different and I don't like the cluttered homescreen.

An-Det

I've been running CM7 for about 3 weeks now, and overall I'm really liking it. The phone is snappier than it has been in a long time, and it doesn't have all the junk apps that are forced onto the default install. My only complaint is that I can't get gps navigation to work at all. Maps can get directions fine, but the gps stalls indefinitely. I've tried the All-In-One fix (CM4DXfix3.zip) that I've seen around but to no avail and there seems no definite answer. I'm on the newest nightly that is listed here (154, added Nov 16).

kinggroin

Banned
For anyone still rocking this phone, I highly recommend running CM7 by revnumbers. His branch is based on .605 GB kernel and is far and away the fastest, most stable CM for the dx (everything works too).

Also, keep an eye on encounter ics beta 3. Ice cream sandwich with hardware acceleration. Camera doesn't work yet, but progress is being made fast.

Both these roms can be found on rootzwiki.

nateeasy

Banned
Sometimes on my Droid X when I'm listening to Pandora my droid music player will start and play music I have on my SD card. It just starts by itself and it irritates my to death. Does anyone know why its starting? I would have the droid screen off and I have it in my pocket. Are one of the side buttons turning it on?

An-Det

It's definitely a bug with playing music, but I'm not sure exactly the cause. It happens to me at times, but usually only after Mr Number has blocked a call, and not every time.

nomster

I'm most interested in the cyanogenmod 7 now that it was mentioned, how hard is it for a novice such as myself in regards to rooting?

Rooting is as easy as clicking a button - just google "root droid x" and directions ill pop up. There are tons of walkthroughs on droid x forums for installing a rom like cyanogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom