• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

womp

You can still use Fission Manager Lite which you can easily download and install Swype and anything else you may wish to put on Fission without donating, however, by donating you will get certain files first.

Oh and bootstrap recovery is freely available on Koush's site. The market download is more or less a donation.

blame space said:
i successfully installed fission! i lost all my contacts and really miss the swype keyboard, but everything is FAST!

If you convert to gmail and store all your contacts(including phone numbers) in there that will never happen again. All my contacts just sync form my gmail account minutes after I flash a rom every time. :)

usea

Can I do any of this stuff on my droid 2? It crashes occasionally and is usually fairly slow. I'd love to speed it up. Does this mean dropping the motorola stuff? What would I lose?

usea said:
Can I do any of this stuff on my droid 2? It crashes occasionally and is usually fairly slow. I'd love to speed it up. Does this mean dropping the motorola stuff? What would I lose?

Bootstrap Recovery, Fission, and (I think) z4root all have Droid 2 equivalents. The process should be the same as well.

As for the Motorola stuff, you'd lose the preinstalled social networking stuff, the caller id area code thing, the moto music player, the moto gallery, and the moto backup thing (there might be more). IMO all of the Google stock stuff is better than this anyway. Fission ROM manager gives you the option to put back some of the moto stuff that you might like better than the Google stuff (I know I saw the music player and gallery in there).

Thaedolus

So my girlfriend shattered her Droid 2 screen today. I'm almost positive she doesn't have insurance...anyone know the best way of going about getting this fixed?

Thaedolus said:
So my girlfriend shattered her Droid 2 screen today. I'm almost positive she doesn't have insurance...anyone know the best way of going about getting this fixed?

No offense, mainly just curious: How the hell did she shatter gorilla glass?

Aselith

Anyone have trouble browsing Gaf on a Droid X? If I come to Gaf, mine will completely lockup after a very short session to the point where the only way to get it unstuck is to yank the battery and restart it. No other website that i have experienced does this and I've done a fair bit of webbrowsing on it with a variety of sites. This happens with both the default browser and the Dolphin HD browser.

womp

Aselith said:
Anyone have trouble browsing Gaf on a Droid X? If I come to Gaf, mine will completely lockup after a very short session to the point where the only way to get it unstuck is to yank the battery and restart it. No other website that i have experienced does this and I've done a fair bit of webbrowsing on it with a variety of sites. This happens with both the default browser and the Dolphin HD browser.
http://secondapps.com/neogaf

KiKaL

Anyone have the issue when you are using your phone and the screen will stop responding to input? This happens a few times a day and I have to lock and unlock the phone to get it to respond normally.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
JLateralus said:
This happened to me, too. SOMEHOW (and I honestly have no idea when or how it happened) I got a little crack in the corner of my screen. I lived with it for a while, then one day my phone slipped out of my hand, and fell on the ground, and it completely shattered. It was weird.

giga

JLateralus said:
It's still glass. It may withstand pen stabs but impacts against concrete and other hard surfaces can still break it.

hermit7

This is a rumor but apparently we may be getting gingerbread sometime within the next week.

Hopefully I reverted to stock just in case.

garath

hermit7 said:
This is a rumor but apparently we may be getting gingerbread sometime within the next week.

Hopefully I reverted to stock just in case.

That would be nice. I'm not holding my breath though. I remember an older document where sometime around now is end of life for the DroidX. It's possible they extended it due to good sales but I fully expect my DroidX to be updateless for the remainder of it's life very soon.

KiKaL

garath said:
That would be nice. I'm not holding my breath though. I remember an older document where sometime around now is end of life for the DroidX. It's possible they extended it due to good sales but I fully expect my DroidX to be updateless for the remainder of it's life very soon.

Possibly not, Didn't the Droid 1 get the same updates as Droid 2? If that is the case I would expect the same for the DX and the DX2

womp

JLateralus said:

Yep, it runs super fast and shockingly doesn't suck! It is as if Moto took the old Blur and said "F this...." and chucked it in the trash. The only problem as it stands now is the lack of root because the one thing that GingerBlur didn't fix was the severe amount of bloat that needs to be neutered.

Oh and I need my ad blocker back pronto.

That said it is scoring faster in quadrant scores and is definitely an improvement over Froyo.

Damn, Moto's serious about giving us Gingerbread? I need to revert my pre-release Froyo then. Are there any guides on how to revert pre-release firmware to stock?

edit: I'm using Moto's pre-release beta Android 2.2 (Froyo) 2.3.9 if it matters.

snacknuts

we all knew her
JLateralus said:
I installed it this morning and have been really enjoying it so far. When I got my X last month I pretty much immediately installed the Fission ROM, so this has been my first substantial experience with Blur. It's actually kind of nice in some respects (though I'm eagerly awaiting root so I can remove shit like the Blockbuster app).

All right, nevermind, I was able to SBF directly from pre-release Froyo to release Froyo 2.3.340 (2.2.1) using RSD Lite and a convenient super-SBF file somebody compiled. So I'm now back on stock Moto Froyo. I guess I'll need to root myself again but after that I'm ready for Gingerbread!

The latest news is that the pre-release Gingerbread currently available has already been rooted! This is good news for when the official one drops, presumably in a week or two. This time I'm going to wait for an official one instead of flashing a pre-release one like I did with Froyo.

Thaedolus

giga said:
It's still glass. It may withstand pen stabs but impacts against concrete and other hard surfaces can still break it.

Asphalt, in this case. We had just gotten some coffee, she went to slip it back into her coat pocket but with one hand occupied didn't quite get it in and dropped it on the parking lot ground. It must've hit just right to where it could cause total cluster fuckery like that.

Thankfully she did end up having insurance on it. 50 dollar deductible, but she got a brand new phone that was in better shape than her old one anyway. Meh.

In other news, has Team Defuse disbanded or something? Seems like it's been ages since a fission update. Or are they perhaps working on a Gingerbread build?

Thaedolus said:
Asphalt, in this case. We had just gotten some coffee, she went to slip it back into her coat pocket but with one hand occupied didn't quite get it in and dropped it on the parking lot ground. It must've hit just right to where it could cause total cluster fuckery like that.

Thankfully she did end up having insurance on it. 50 dollar deductible, but she got a brand new phone that was in better shape than her old one anyway. Meh.

In other news, has Team Defuse disbanded or something? Seems like it's been ages since a fission update. Or are they perhaps working on a Gingerbread build?

I guess I must've been lucky. I dropped my OG droid in my garage twice... only scratched up the metal rim around the screen a little bit. I dropped my Droid X last weekend on tile and immediately thought about this thread and said "Oh fuck!" No noticeable damage... thank God as I don't have insurance.

Anyway, regarding Team Defuse - AngDroid said something about Twitter last week that hinted to moving on to Gingerbread development.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Switched to Liberty from Fission.

Actually seems faster, and wanted to move away from Fission since they don't update it anymore.

I'd suggest people try it out if you are looking for a rom with more frequent (see, actual) updates.

womp

Fission and Liberty are old news, and I say that as someone who has donated to Fission's cause.

Rooted GingerBlur is the bomb. I could never go back to 2.2....EVER. The performance and stability are insane and Motorola actually did a bang up job. I urge everyone to give it a go.

Oozer3993

womp said:
Fission and Liberty are old news, and I say that as someone who has donated to Fission's cause.

Rooted GingerBlur is the bomb. I could never go back to 2.2....EVER. The performance and stability are insane and Motorola actually did a bang up job. I urge everyone to give it a go.

Been rocking it for a couple weeks now. I really like it. Makes my X feel like a brand new phone.

hermit7

Does anyone know how to get their phone to recognize on RSDLite?

I threw on non-rooted GB, and now want to throw on regular GB. Or is there a one click root app for the non-root version.

womp

hermit7 said:
Does anyone know how to get their phone to recognize on RSDLite?

I threw on non-rooted GB, and now want to throw on regular GB. Or is there a one click root app for the non-root version.

Not that I am aware of....

RSDLite can be finicky under Win 7, try a different USB port and see if that will work. In any case version 4.8 or 4.9 will both work....Just RSDLite back to the full system .40 SBF.

hermit7

womp said:
Not that I am aware of....

RSDLite can be finicky under Win 7, try a different USB port and see if that will work. In any case version 4.8 or 4.9 will both work....Just RSDLite back to the full system .40 SBF.
I get how to do it. I will try a different usb and see if it works. Maybe try it under xp if it doesn't.

womp

hermit7 said:
I get how to do it. I will try a different usb and see if it works. Maybe try it under xp if it doesn't.

The USB trick worked for me and I am using Win 7. It was weird because one minute it was fine and then suddenly it just ignored my phone. o_O

FoneBone

Just bought one of these thanks to a good discount from Verizon. It'll be my first smartphone; hoping it's a worthwhile investment.

hermit7

Captain Blood said:
I am using Fission 2.6.1

Also I miss your animated avvy.
So you want to move to the leak? If so there are a few good guides. Seeing as how you know how to throw on a rom it will be similar. All you need to do is boot into bootstrap recovery and flash the file through the sd card option. I would use the rooted version of the older leak just because it has root and is pretty stable.

As a note though you're going to have to SBF back to 2.2 if you want to go back to stock.

I miss my animated avatar too :( but this one is fine I think.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fuck. I woke up today to my Droid X not having charged itself and left with a dead battery. I head off to work without it, but of course re insert to make sure it is charging again. I get home from work, turn it on, and it's fucking rebooting during the opening animation.

I know how to factory reset from startup but fuck I had a couple of numbers I needed.

Trojita said:
Fuck. I woke up today to my Droid X not having charged itself and left with a dead battery. I head off to work without it, but of course re insert to make sure it is charging again. I get home from work, turn it on, and it's fucking rebooting during the opening animation.

I know how to factory reset from startup but fuck I had a couple of numbers I needed.

I think both google and verizon keep backups of your numbers so you should be fine once you log in.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
fudgey_lumpkins said:
I think both google and verizon keep backups of your numbers so you should be fine once you log in.
Yeah it did, thanks!

Before I returned the phone to factory settings I did find the most important number I needed backed up on my PC, so that gave me some assurance to go ahead and reformat everything anyways.

Now I just need to set everything up again on the phone.

So I ordered a replacement for my droid incredible, and instead of another, I was pleasantly surprised with a used droid x. This phone kicks the htc's ass lol, and holy shot its screen is huge

its cool bro.

btw, does anyone know how to keep my internet connection permanently on wifi?
it always reverts back to 3g after the screens blacks out after 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom