• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathala

Banned
Day 1 DX owner who got 1yr contract.

When may 15 comes I shall say good bye to this phone. I hope Targa/Bionic gets announce soon

Prodigal

Banned
Any of you guys have any experience using the HDMI out to stream video? I was thinking of getting a cable and this app to try using HBOGO on my TV when I move since I'll still have access to my family's (Verizon) account info.

Futureman

Did Gingerbread come out today as an OTA update?

I'm on a custom ROM and might not even bother with Gingerbread. My phone runs perfect as it is now.

Mulberry

I haven't tried it on mine, but if you do don't buy the cable from Verizon, order it from Monoprice.com. they block the video out on the ipad with this app so it would suck if you spend $40 on it and it not work.

I just picked this as a work phone and I was wondering for keeping a calendar and syncing it with Outlook how good is it? Sorry for the basic question, but it's the first phone I've ever got for a job and I want to use it's organizational functions to the fullest.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I just picked this as a work phone and I was wondering for keeping a calendar and syncing it with Outlook how good is it? Sorry for the basic question, but it's the first phone I've ever got for a job and I want to use it's organizational functions to the fullest.

average at best. I've been using it for about 8 months, and I've found email and the calendar to be awkward. Frankly, it makes me question dumping my iphone.

Bad news on my end. So I'm in Las Vegas and I jumped into the hot tub with my phone in my pocket. Tried to put it in rice but it was too late. The worse part is I have no insurance on it, which sucks big time. Not sure if I'm gonna file a claim on it or not.

Superblatt said:
average at best. I've been using it for about 8 months, and I've found email and the calendar to be awkward. Frankly, it makes me question dumping my iphone.
Bleh, well I figured it was better to go for the one whose keyboard I was far more used too. However, I appreciate the feedback as it's better to go in with realistic expectations and not feel bitter. Any tips on getting the most from it?

Still it just got delivered, so their goes my attempt to get work done, but it also means no more needing to lug my laptop around which is a huge plus just to check email!

Oh how is Verizons OTA updates. Lets just say I got a new Captivate (for free at least) because AT&Ts was shitty and bricked my phone last week lol

snacknuts

we all knew her
I was just poking around the DX forums at MyDroidWorld and they're saying that you won't get the OTA update unless you're on the .340 build (Froyo). You'll be able to manually download and install before the day is out, I'd wager.

hermit7

zesty said:
I was just poking around the DX forums at MyDroidWorld and they're saying that you won't get the OTA update unless you're on the .340 build (Froyo). You'll be able to manually download and install before the day is out, I'd wager.

I may wait until they have the ability to root it before I SBF back to FroYo. I haven't had any problems with the current GB build either.

What are your guys thoughts on getting Ice Cream Sandwich on the DX? I think that with the recent release of the DX2 we might get it considering they are basically the same phone, and wouldn't require much.

zesty said:

I'm on sys ver.2.3.340.mb810.Verizon.en.US

That's the version you mean right?
It's after 5pm here and still no update.

What is Gingerbread gonna add?

womp

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I'm on sys ver.2.3.340.mb810.Verizon.en.US

That's the version you mean right?
It's after 5pm here and still no update.

What is Gingerbread gonna add?

Add? It makes your X an entirely new phone of awesome. Seriously. Just the performance increase alone is fantastic.

womp said:
Add? It makes your X an entirely new phone of awesome. Seriously. Just the performance increase alone is fantastic.

so it adds a significant performance boost.

that's good because everyday I think of looking into rooting my phone and getting rid of everything verizon and motorola on it because it stalls and lags and needs to be reset far too often.

womp

BlackNMild2k1 said:
so it adds a significant performance boost.

that's good because everyday I think of looking into rooting my phone and getting rid of everything verizon and motorola on it because it stalls and lags and needs to be reset far too often.

I understand completely what you mean but I have yet to have a single reboot or reset while using the Gingerbread leaks - Trust me, it's fantastic. Motorola did a kick ass job this time and seriously it will be like having a brand new X.

Aselith

Aselith said:
Am I right in saying that you can do this update:

without rooting the phone?
I did it but the stock launcher is really bad compared to the Froyo X launcher from before. Don't really know if it's going to be different on the OTA update. I'm using LauncherPro - will try the other when OTA goes up.

womp

striKeVillain! said:
I did it but the stock launcher is really bad compared to the Froyo X launcher from before. Don't really know if it's going to be different on the OTA update. I'm using LauncherPro - will try the other when OTA goes up.

Considering you couldn't even customize the stock launcher in Froyo X before, I'd say you are wrong.

The fact the Froyo X stock launcher had two uncustomizable shortcuts to the same thing (Dialer/contacts) made it the worst thing ever as it was.

Gingerblur's stock launcher is 100% better. In any case, everyone will just use a third party launcher anyhow so it is all moot but I don't think the Gingerblur launcher is all that bad.

motherfucker.
motorola took out sip support.
they took out adding account option under call setting.
anyway i can add my sip credentials?
or do i have to go back to an older version of GB? 595? 593 perhaps?

JeTmAn81

Downloading the update now.

edit: Looks like the install failed. Do I need to be unrooted for this to work?

edit2: Install failed again after unrooting with z4 :(

TxdoHawk

Glad to see it here, but only because it means one more step toward stable custom ROMs with official Gingerbread goodness. I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd go back to stock, unless Moto has managed to seriously put a boatload of work into this one. ApeX vs. stock Froyo in the realm of performance and usability on the X is embarrasing.

Spasm

TxdoHawk said:
Glad to see it here, but only because it means one more step toward stable custom ROMs with official Gingerbread goodness. I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd go back to stock, unless Moto has managed to seriously put a boatload of work into this one. ApeX vs. stock Froyo in the realm of performance and usability on the X is embarrasing.
GingerBlur is seriously awesome. They ripped out all the shitty bloat. My X is finally fast and smooth.

Is it just me or are the face buttons a little brighter? I can see the light coming from underneath the buttons.

And Blur is good now? Maybe I'll ditch LauncherPro then.

Aselith

I watched a television show on my cellular mobile telephone today at work via an internet stream. Truly we are living in the future.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Hasphat'sAnts said:
Is it just me or are the face buttons a little brighter? I can see the light coming from underneath the buttons.

And Blur is good now? Maybe I'll ditch LauncherPro then.

Definitely not just you. They seem absurdly bright now. I've been using Adjbrightness to just keep them turned off.

womp

Yep, GingerBlur is awesome. Been using it for over a month now and Motorola really hit it out of the park.

One of my favorite new features is uninstalling apps from the app tray by holding them down. :)

Still need Titanium Backup to freeze the bloat though.

hubes

so i've been trying to update these past few days and all i'm getting is "check for update was not available at this time." i've googled it and that's told me to go to data manager > social appliciations > turn off sync over wifi only. that was already turned off so that isn't the problem.

anyone have any ideas? i haven't rooted or done anything to my phone. it is completely stock froyo.

I SBFed myself back to Froyo from a leaked GingerBlur and installed the pre-rooted version of the official OTA. There were some problems with the leaked ROMs, I was getting reboots when I used the music players too much and it seemed to stall quite a lot. The official OTA seems much smoother and the music player isn't crashing my phone anymore, so there's a lot to like here!

And yeah, it's amazing how far the Droid X has come since it launched. The Eclair ROM it launched with was slower than molasses, Froyo was a huge improvement, but Gingerbread just is another level of speed. Whipping the home screens left and right is smoother than ever before, even with a bunch of widgets all over it. I have to give Motorola a lot of credit for the work they've put into the X after it's released, they could just pulled a Samsung and said "We have your money now so FUCK YOU KTHXBAI" but they've worked hard to make the X better every new ROM. Judging from the increasing numbers of random people I've seen sporting a new X, I think this is a good thing. Motorola is investing in the future by actually supporting the phone post-release, hoping customers will come back in 2 years for another Motorola device.

Since Motorola is one of the handset manufacturers who pledged to support their devices for 18 months after launch during Google I/O 2011, we might even see Ice Cream Sandwich on the X if the hardware still meets ICS's specs. This is a phone I really can use for the full 2 years of my contract, thank goodness.

womp

Unknown Soldier said:
This is a phone I really can use for the full 2 years of my contract, thank goodness.

Totally agreed. Then again once that Samsung Galaxy S II drops on Verizon I won't deny that I may bail on the X. It just looks too delicious - Samsung be damned. :/

An-Det

Agreed with everything, Unknown Soldier. I bought the X on launch day and have been constantly impressed by it. I cant speak for the gingerbread improvements (downloading it now), but the X has been much improved over the past year. It's just a pleasure to use, and has made for a wonderful experience.

Actiss

Does anybody else's Droid X randomly reset itself for no reason? For instance, the other day the phone was sitting on my desk at work when I noticed that it went back to the "droid eye" logo just as if I had turned it on. And then last night I tried to answer a call from my girlfriend it reboot itself. The gingerbread update didn't seem to help any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom