• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGCats Seems to Finally Have Its Act Together

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Relative to other comics it has an above-average amount of effort put into the artwork, and it has its audience. I respect the effort he puts in, even if the results aren't usually my cup of tea.

Some of y'all really need to examine your penchant for shitting on other peoples' work unflinchingly.

Begaria

I'm just going to quote myself from when that Sephiroth comic was posted a while back just to explain how fucking stupid it really is:

As an Accountant, I can even tell you the joke literally doesn't work.

Aerith wasn't Cloud's "dependent". A "dependent" has to either be your kid (by being blood related or being a guardian), or has to be a parent dependent on you for care giving status, that sort of thing. Aerith was a grown ass woman with no legal ties to Cloud and thus Cloud couldn't use her as a dependent.

There has to be at least a drop of truth or logic to a joke to make it funny. The joke falls apart immediately after Sephiroth says he hates doing taxes. If it were just the first and second panel, it'd be an "ok" joke, but overall it's pretty lame.

Sqw9vM5.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Always felt Super Effective is the author's better comic. He just seems more into the Pokemon theme than anything else video game related.

From what I know as well, this guy is almost constantly sick as well. I met the guy at Otakon in like 2008, he was sick as shit then, but still made me an awesome sketch of Leo running away from a Portal sentry.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yup, I've enjoyed them. I think they're fine. Maybe people have gotten into a groove of hating on them due to the history. Like most things, there's good stuff and bad stuff to see depending on your frame of mind. Oh well.

Hey, free avatar.
bN20J03.png

Edit: I agree with that point about the Aeris being a "dependent", that was a miss.

Kazerei

Banned
I love the Mega Man Final Smash comic. Although I didn't know where the green one was from, I recognized the NES box art / Street Fighter X Tekken one and I got the joke. It's short and sweet.

jaypah

The first one and the mega man one got genuine chuckles from me when I saw them the first time. I usually either dislike it or am indifferent to it but sometimes they get me.

The rotom one only needs the last 3 frames. It goes on for too long.
I don't know what a rotom is or what it does. That's the only one from the op that made me laugh and making it that short would've ruined it. There are many other strips that were legitimately too long, this isn't one of them.

J3ffro

Ah, so we're at the "yeah, my boyfriend still doesn't do foreplay, doesn't worry about my enjoyment and finishes too quickly. BUT AT LEAST HE DOESN'T WIPE HIS COCK ON THE CURTAINS ANYMORE!" stage are we?

I nearly snorted my oatmeal reading your comment. No more breakfastGaf for me.

I hate to say it though, none of those comics were great but I've read so much worse. So many bad comics out there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can we leave Brawl in the Family out of the ban as well?

I'm posting this one since it came out around the same time as the Pokerus one in VGCats. Just a really weird coincidence.

vypek

I only really knew about super efrective but the other stuff is mildly amusing. Not laughing out loud but I just cant see why there is such a strong hate for the comic.

As ever VG Cats could do many less panels and make the same joke. But yeah none of those are actually that bad. They have amusing art and convey the comment quite well.

Please don't turn this into the Shitty Webcomics thread, there already is one for that.

I will admit they've gotten better. You can tell by the lack of bi-weekly VG Cats hate threads. And the stuff the Op mentioned.

Heysoos

Meh. I don't find them hilarious, but some of them can be pretty funny. Not laugh out loud funny, but funny. Which I guess is a compliment compared to how much people seem to hate them here.

Jado

Banned
I agree. Anytime a thread a made when a new VGCats is released, it's just to complain about how unfunny it is. Does that really deserve a thread every time?

I agree the threads are unproductive and have literally played out the same way for years now, but a complete ban is aggressive. Why not an official thread for VGCats then? That seems like a good compromise.

And not all webcomics sucks, especially non-video-game ones.

Nymphae

Banned
Why am I not surprised at the amount of jerks in here just posting how bad this guys work is? No one cares how cool you are for not liking someone else's work.

KePoW

Banned
Why am I not surprised at the amount of jerks in here just posting how bad this guys work is? No one cares how cool you are for not liking someone else's work.

Why should we not respond when it's the very subject of the OP's thread?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying something is bad or good on a discussion forum.

Top Bottom