• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGCats Seems to Finally Have Its Act Together

Some Nobody

Why am I not surprised at the amount of jerks in here just posting how bad this guys work is? No one cares how cool you are for not liking someone else's work.

Co-signed. I don't read VG Cats every day, but these things did make me chuckle a bit.

Haunted

GAFs vitriolic hatred of webcomics will never get old.
GAF loves webcomics as long as they're good.

Like nedroid

2011-01-29-babycomics.png

AColdDay

Even if his jokes don't always land, his art is fantastic. I've read some pretty terrible webcomics in the past thanks to the Something Awful forums, and VGCats is not terrible. Not every webcomic can be PBF!

Nymphae

Banned
Why should we not respond when it's the very subject of the OP's thread?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying something is bad or good on a discussion forum.

I know, it just never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to jump on things they dislike. The OP just wanted to talk about the improvements he sees in this guys work, and almost all of the first 10 responses are "they all suck." It is a discussion forum, yet we just have people quoting "They are all fucking terrible" and giving each other high fives.

Most people bashing the guy aren't even offering criticism, just "This guy sucks." Cool.

sonicmj1

VGCats still has a long way to go to be considered good, but at least he's responding to his most obvious criticisms by updating in a more timely manner and cutting down on panel bloat.

Progress!

ChrisD

As someone who was just yesterday getting flustered at Pokemon using Double-Slap five times, the last comic got me to laugh. The tax form one is pretty good, though I feel it loses a bit of it's punch when it's not that time. The Pokerus one is humorous to anyone who knows their Pokemon.

I can't remember the others posted in the OP though, so I'm going to say those weren't as good for me.

And obligatory Awkward Zombie mention. Pffft. Ban all web-comics. It would be like banning every real comic -- including Peanuts!

KePoW

Banned
I know, it just never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to jump on things they dislike. The OP just wanted to talk about the improvements he sees in this guys work, and almost all of the first 10 responses are "they all suck." It is a discussion forum, yet we just have people quoting "They are all fucking terrible" and giving each other high fives.

Most people bashing the guy aren't even offering criticism, just "This guy sucks." Cool.

I don't really think people are high-fiving each other, it just so happens that the majority of people genuinely think this comic is bad.

If you want a little more depth in the criticism -- I've felt webcomics were crap even *before* I saw the first reply in this thread. After reading the ones posted by the OP, my opinion is these are really bad as well.

Further discussion... I grew up reading Calvin & Hobbes, so that's my level of standard when it comes to newspaper-style comics. And every single webcomic I've seen does not even come close to the depth and quality of C&H.

Nymphae

Banned
If you want a little more depth in the criticism -- I've felt webcomics were crap even *before* I saw the first reply in this thread. After reading the ones posted by the OP, my opinion is these are really bad as well.

I don't disagree, as an illustrator it just bugs me to see people piling onto someone's artwork like that. The guy clearly puts a lot of effort into his work and it's really not "fucking terrible".

Further discussion... I grew up reading Calvin & Hobbes, so that's my level of standard when it comes to newspaper-style comics. And every single webcomic I've seen does not even come close to the depth and quality of C&H.

That's a little unfair, I mean comparing webcomics to what is quite possibly the best comic ever written by a human being? If you are comparing everything to C&H, you will remain forever disappointed lol. Bill Watterson was fucking incredible on every single level.

Jado

Banned
Holy shit. I literally burst out laughing at work reading the comic below. Can someone quantify what's so funny about stuff like Nedroid, but VG Cats always feels "off" even when it's not totally unfunny? Is the latter too try-hard or just too blunt/poorly nuanced with its humor? Even someone as minor but significant like "thank you robot" seems like something the VG Cats guy wouldn't think to do.

I just checked CAD for the first time in months, the last one isn't bad:

That's pretty bad.

Okamid3n

Webcomics should be banned forever

Well, too bad! They're here to stay. Have some more comics.

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2014/05/23/568-double-cherry/

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=120913

Maybe that's for the best. 95% of the time, the criticism people offer is just "THIS SHOULD ONLY BE 2 PANELS."

http://i.imgur.com/QmuZxVA.png

...actually, that made me laugh too.

DarkKyo

I never really understood the hate that VGCats got. They've got a really solid art style and the jokes are usually okay to pretty good, with the occasional meh joke/comic here and there.

I guess it's just cool for everyone to hate the same thing.

KePoW

Banned
That's a little unfair, I mean comparing webcomics to what is quite possibly the best comic ever written by a human being? If you are comparing everything to C&H, you will remain forever disappointed lol. Bill Watterson was fucking incredible on every single level.

True. I guess that's why I have not found or enjoyed any other newspaper-style comic since the end of C&H.

Nowdays I only read superhero comics instead.

gorfyako

Banned
Nobody actually laughs at VGCats. It's just always neat to see because it has been around for 15 or so years and hasn't changed one bit.

ALL of those are fucking terrible.

This.

Why am I not surprised at the amount of jerks in here just posting how bad this guys work is? No one cares how cool you are for not liking someone else's work.

Well the OP made a thread arguing that the comic has gotten better. Seems like he was asking for our opinions. It's not our fault that the VGCats creator simply isn't very talented or funny.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I will never understand why Gaf has such an obsession for VGCatz. It's not even like most people here like it, yet it's the most discussed web comic here (at least it looks that way to me)

khaaan

Are we all just posting our favorite webcomics now?
http://limbero.org/jl8/1

I really don't get why people feel so strongly against VGCats either but opinions and all I guess. I don't go actively reading VGCats comics but most comics usually get an internal "heh" followed by quickly moving on. I really liked their Super Effective stuff though.

Nymphae

Banned
True. I guess that's why I have not found or enjoyed any other newspaper-style comic since the end of C&H.

Nowdays I only read superhero comics instead.

Same here actually, I stopped reading super hero comics for years in the late 90's, but I've just started reading some Marvel stuff again and I've been pretty pleasantly surprised in both the quality of the artwork and the writing, I'm mainly reading Spider-man stuff right now. And it's a fantastic use for the iPad I've had lying around for a few years doing basically nothing lol.

The only other newspaper-comic that I found consistently amazing was The Far Side, I was super bummed when Gary Larson retired.

A side note: People love to come in here and take time to post images of what they perceive to be bad art, they laugh at it and mock it, but why don't we see the reverse as often? Why are there no threads that are a collection of the best comics from creators people like? The OP says "hey I like this guy and think he's really improving" - discussion becomes > "look at all this fucking shitty art!".

Toxi

Banned
I don't really think people are high-fiving each other, it just so happens that the majority of people genuinely think this comic is bad.

I don't feel any webcomic is at the level of depth and quality of Calvin and Hobbes because I consider that a high bar for comics in general, but there are still a ton of great ones.

TP-DK

If you're gonna ban webcomics atleast keep Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.
2010-02-22.jpg

I actually think I found out about it on a thread here on gaf

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If you're gonna ban webcomics atleast keep Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.
2010-02-22.jpg

I actually think I found out about it on a thread here on gaf

Man. If you're not reading all the red jacket guy's lines in Patrick Warburton's voice, you're doing it wrong.

KePoW

Banned
Same here actually, I stopped reading super hero comics for years in the late 90's, but I've just started reading some Marvel stuff again and I've been pretty pleasantly surprised in both the quality of the artwork and the writing, I'm mainly reading Spider-man stuff right now. And it's a fantastic use for the iPad I've had lying around for a few years doing basically nothing lol.

Yeah exactly, same here for me too!

I've been reading a lot of Marvel stuff and there's definitely a lot of great artwork in their material now. (obviously they still have some crappy stuff due to the volume & number of series they put out, but I'm genuinely enjoying a lot of their work)

Top Bottom