• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video calls for lynchings at Southern Illinois University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

via Chicagoist

An anonymous clip posted to YouTube last Thursday called for lynchings and beatings of black students on the Southern Illinois University Carbdonale campus. After repeated requests from the university, the video was removed from the site on Monday for violating YouTube's hate speech policy. However, university spokesperson Rae Goldsmith told Chicagoist Tuesday that "[w]e now have someone else who has posted it elsewhere on YouTube, so we've started all over again."

Next, a figure wearing a Guy Fawkes mask appears on screen. A distorted voice introduces this figure with "This is SIU ATO," a reference to the the university's Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. (The Carbondale chapter of the fraternity and its national headquarters deny involvement, according to the Daily Egyptian and the Associated Press.)
"We send out this broadcast in the hopes of reaching out to all the hard-working white Americans out there," the distorted voice continues." We will not stand for these n****** any longer. I want us all on May second to band together and beat ourself some n***** stew... I want to see the trees riddled with as much black fruit as they can hold."

The anonymous video is the latest of three racially-charged incidents on the Carbondale campus in April. On April 17, according to the Daily Egyptian, someone drew a swastika on a campus chalkboard, next to the messages "Build That Wall" and "This country is so sad." Earlier in April a black freshman student at the university, Leilani Bartlett, posted a Facebook video detailing how SIU Trump told her to "go back to Africa" and called her the n-word. (Watch her full video here.)

The video itself isn't likely to be up for very long, but here it is, for those of you willing to watch it.

This is obviously very disgusting, and not super surprising, considering the reputation downstate Illinois has. There was this bit about how the campus is trying to respond:

The Daily Egyptian reported that Colwell advocated for "a dialogue" around racial issues following the video, and a spate of other racial conflicts at SIU Carbondale this month. Goldsmith said this would involve "workshops" and "conversations with students." No policy changes are in the works as of yet, she said; at this point the campus is trying to "address immediate issues."

But then there's this bit...

That means, in part, increased campus security on May 2. "We have confidence that our students will actually not rise to the video, but we will be prepared," Goldsmith said.
Goldsmith also noted that when it comes to revising policy, it's important to note that "ome things that people say are unwelcome but they may not be punishable, because we do also need to respect free speech."

For real? How is this not clearly hate speech that should NOT be protected under any circumstance? Unbelievable.

Toothless

I'm currently attending SIU (typing this in my dorm), and I've been debating posting a thread about this for a while now, but unfortunately, no big news sites picked up the story, and I personally didn't have pictures. Earlier this month, the entire area by our library was completely defiled by chalked up "Build That Wall" "Kick Them Out" and "Trump Train." Racial tensions have been brewing since then, and I recommend everyone watch that Facebook video (not the racist one) in the OP, because that video rightfully went viral around here and finally got the administration

Then, about two weeks ago, Faner Hall, which is one of the biggest buildings on campus and was made to be riot proof, was marked up with "May 2... we'll see if this is riot-proof" and shit like that. Swastikas were on it too, and it was really disgusting. Concurrently on May 2, there's a planned student "strike" against the Illinois budget, which is getting really shitty for education. You can read about that here.

As for the Bug's Life video, I saw it shortly after it was put up and was really disturbed by it. I think our chancellor has done a relatively shitty job dealing with this, and it definitely shouldn't have gone this far. That said, I personally don't believe that ATO made that video; I think it's someone trying to fan the flames even harder on the tensions on campus.

Basically, about half the professors/teachers have cancelled classes on May 2 so that way we can protest, both against the racism on campus and the student budget. It's just a giant clusterfuck here that's honestly getting me worried for my safety and the safety of a lot of my friends here.

Wwwwow. That's bad.

And as for the free speech bit in the OP, I think they mean more that they may not be able to control some of these things, or it is beyond their jurisdiction. I'm sure if they knew who was posting those things they would be expelled. Giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

I'm currently attending SIU (typing this in my dorm), and I've been debating posting a thread about this for a while now, but unfortunately, no big news sites picked up the story, and I personally didn't have pictures. Earlier this month, the entire area by our library was completely defiled by chalked up "Build That Wall" "Kick Them Out" and "Trump Train." Racial tensions have been brewing since then, and I recommend everyone watch that Facebook video (not the racist one) in the OP, because that video rightfully went viral around here and finally got the administration

Then, about two weeks ago, Faner Hall, which is one of the biggest buildings on campus and was made to be riot proof, was marked up with "May 2... we'll see if this is riot-proof" and shit like that. Swastikas were on it too, and it was really disgusting. Concurrently on May 2, there's a planned student "strike" against the Illinois budget, which is getting really shitty for education. You can read about that here.

As for the Bug's Life video, I saw it shortly after it was put up and was really disturbed by it. I think our chancellor has done a relatively shitty job dealing with this, and it definitely shouldn't have gone this far. That said, I personally don't believe that ATO made that video; I think it's someone trying to fan the flames even harder on the tensions on campus.

Basically, about half the professors/teachers have cancelled classes on May 2 so that way we can protest, both against the racism on campus and the student budget. It's just a giant clusterfuck here that's honestly getting me worried for my safety and the safety of a lot of my friends here.

Scary as fuck. Stay safe you guys, and hopefully someone drags these fucks out into the open and throws them in jail. Free speech does not mean inciting violence and death threats.

This is legit terrifying. Stay safe.

The South sure is scary.

Actually, it's America that is scary. The truth is racism has been part of American DNA from its inception. The difference between abolitionists and slave owners were often at the level of exploitation. Abolotionists did not support exploiting black people as slaves, but they were often racists. It continues today.

I'd really hate to be there =/ ...

Viewt

The South sure is scary.

Actually, it's America that is scary. The truth is racism has been part of American DNA from its inception. The difference between abolitionists and slave owners were often at the level of exploitation. Abolotionists did not support exploiting black people as slaves, but they were often racists. It continues today.

Illinois is well into the North. It's just that, as you say in your second paragraph, it's America that has a problem with race. Racism just has different flavors depending on the area.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the spirit of free speech was so that people wouldn't be afraid to disagree with things. Trying to defend attempts at inciting destruction and violence by calling it free speech is a fucking joke.

Illinois is well into the North. It's just that, as you say in your second paragraph, it's America that has a problem with race. Racism just has different flavors depending on the area.

Rural Illinois (aka most of Illinois outside of Chicago and other urban areas) can be very racist. Lots of insulated communities full of people who've never left their small towns.

There's Chicago, the suburbs, and then the rest of Illinois.

Might as well be an entirely different state.

The video is disgusting and horrific. But fuck it, we need to be aware that sentiment like this exists. Black people been getting slaughtered in the street like dogs, and treated worse and we all act like we don't understand why. The sentiment expressed in this video is why. These aren't hobo's sitting in a cave. These are people getting an "education" and going on to take positions in society that allow them to wield power. Then we scratch our heads and wonder why it seems that specific policies just so happen to disproportionately target minorities and Black folk in particular.

It isn't about "OMG racism is so bad." This isn't even about hate. This is about White supremacy rearing its head. I predict things will get far far far worse as the perception increases amongst "mainstream" America that they're "losing".

I would love to see one of these cowards try.

dylann-roof-g-435.jpg

And the cops got the fucker some Burger King when he complained about being hungry.....

Illinois is well into the North. It's just that, as you say in your second paragraph, it's America that has a problem with race. Racism just has different flavors depending on the
area.

I know it's in the North. Also, it's just not Rural areas that have the problem.Plenty of white yuppie liberal urbanites are racist. Racism manifests in different ways too fetishism, hate, elitism, and exceptionalism. They are more likely to be of the fetishism, elitism, and exceptionalism branches than hate, but, again, it's still racism.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I attend this campus, and honestly it seems most students don't really care here. During class today we had one student say how we should go and join a sit in...I think only two people went. I'm not really surprised by any of this...Southern Illinois is pretty racist, with quite a few people (not on campus) having rebel fags on trucks.

devilhawk

I don't think it is a false flag, more likely a racist asshat unconnected to the frat and possibly even the school who is trying to start crap.

I would hope the free speech talk is more about avoiding situations where you have people freaking out because TRUMP 2016 is written on the sidewalk.

How is this not clearly hate speech that should NOT be protected under any circumstance? Unbelievable.
"Hate speech" isn't really a thing in US law, although I would think this video would be actionable under prohibitions against inciting imminent lawless action.

Quixzlizx

This is like the opposite extreme of those students who had a meltdown because they saw "Trump 2016" written in chalk on campus. Some seriously scary threats, here.

I watched the video and now I feel sick. First comment is some dumbass saying "Amen, brother!" too. Wtf.

Stay safe. It's both terrifying and sad that people act like this today.

riotous

Banned
For real? How is this not clearly hate speech that should NOT be protected under any circumstance? Unbelievable.

Well this is the US; the first amendment does in fact protect hate speech. Inciting specific acts of violence isn't protected however; not sure where this broad and vaguely worded appeal to violence falls.

YouTube has no legal obligation to protect speech but representatives of government do have some obligation to it, hence why the representative of government (the school) had that in their response to a question about policy changes. I don't know how specific that question was, but any sort of generic question about stopping hate groups on a campus might have a "we need to protect free speech" element to it at a public school. The calls to violence however I see no reason a public university couldn't ban or punish that.

devilhawk

Hopefully the upcoming protests stay safe and not turn into "burn the ATO frat down day." I'm guessing that is exactly what the clown who posted the video wants.

Talking big but too afraid to show their face? How pathetic lmao.
Is it wrong to hope whoever it is gets the shit beaten out of them?

I almost wish these cowards would try to make good on their threats just to see the justified self-defense they'd be inviting upon themselves. I'm not crazy, though. To all those affected, stay safe and stay strong.

Rival

Gold Member
It's sad and unfortunate that there is so much hatred and racism. theres a nasty history of it that still is rampant today in southern Illinois.

"White supremacy", "oppression", "racism". The sooner people start accepting these words as a reality of the lives of minority people, the less incidents like this will be ignored or blown off as simple trolling who could help support the oppressed

justjohn

The video is disgusting and horrific. But fuck it, we need to be aware that sentiment like this exists. Black people been getting slaughtered in the street like dogs, and treated worse and we all act like we don't understand why. The sentiment expressed in this video is why. These aren't hobo's sitting in a cave. These are people getting an "education" and going on to take positions in society that allow them to wield power. Then we scratch our heads and wonder why it seems that specific policies just so happen to disproportionately target minorities and Black folk in particular.

It isn't about "OMG racism is so bad." This isn't even about hate. This is about White supremacy rearing its head. I predict things will get far far far worse as the perception increases amongst "mainstream" America that they're "losing".

dylann-roof-g-435.jpg

And the cops got the fucker some Burger King when he complained about being hungry.....
i thought they were talking about lynching? as in physically grabbing someone and hanging them.

johnny956

Chambana, quad cities, st louis metro east? Bit of a broad brush.

Carbondale is a college town not far from Kentucky, for those who can't place it on the map.

Southern Illinois (south of St. Louis) feels pretty south to me. Wife's grandparents live in a small town just north of Carbondale and that town has so many confederates flags flying I stopped counting.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
"Hate speech" isn't really a thing in US law, although I would think this video would be actionable under prohibitions against inciting imminent lawless action.

And I don't know that he's saying that they would allow the video the quote is:

Goldsmith also noted that when it comes to revising policy, it's important to note that "ome things that people say are unwelcome but they may not be punishable, because we do also need to respect free speech."

If someone says "I don't like black people" or something like that, I don't think they can do anything about it. Or if they advocate for Trump, which some (I hope many) people find unwelcome, but again they can't say "you aren't allowed to advocate for Trump".

Regarding the actual topic.... Holy fuck, is this real life?

daman824

sounds like they want their frat disbanded
Eh. A lot of feats suck. But no way would a frat openly link themselves to a YouTube video calling for lynchings.

They need to find out who made the video asap. They need to be kicked from the college. Maybe even arrested

Eh. A lot of feats suck. But no way would a frat openly link themselves to a YouTube video calling for lynchings.

They need to find out who made the video asap. They need to be kicked from the college. Maybe even arrested

Well thank god they're just joking due to their mental health issues. I'm not one for tone policing or harsh punishment, just make them like write a facebook apology and call it even. If we punish them by like kicking them out of school but still billing them we in effect will have ruined their future and totes make them double down on their hatred. If anything we should maybe try to understand why they feel that way and empathize that they didn't have a decent upbringing. But meeting hate with hate won't fix anything, I dunno, this is a complicated situation because it's just words not actions and as vile as it is they do have the freedom of speech...

devilhawk

They absolutely need to find who did this video before ANY retribution or punishment is enacted on the frat. We should have already learned from the examples at Duke and UVA.

Well thank god they're just joking due to their mental health issues. I'm not one for tone policing or harsh punishment, just make them like write a facebook apology and call it even. If we punish them by like kicking them out of school but still billing them we in effect will have ruined their future and totes make them double down on their hatred. If anything we should maybe try to understand why they feel that way and empathize that they didn't have a decent upbringing. But meeting hate with hate won't fix anything, I dunno, this is a complicated situation because it's just words not actions and as vile as it is they do have the freedom of speech...
Thankfully you are here to provide the snark that this thread was missing.

daman824

What the hell?

Whoever made the video needs to be permanently removed from the school. Like expelled. And if their identity is released I'd hope that any other self respecting university won't accept him.

I have no clue why you decided to go off on me...at all.

All I said is it's unlikely someone from the ATO fraternity made the video. Why go through all the trouble of distorting your voice and hiding your identity with a mask and hoodie just to say your from a group of around 90 or so people.

Seriously lay off

theecakee

Going to a similar rural school like this, doesn't surprise me some shit like this would happen.

YikYak around here is pretty disgusting with racist stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom