• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senoculum

Does anyone have a link of when a police officer was convicted of a crime? How come there isn't independent scrutiny on cases like these? Am I missing something? I'm curious to see if there's any similar cases (but with success).

I know we get threads like this everyday, and we should never jump to conclusions, but video evidence is video evidence is video evidence. We're not exactly in the era where video evidence can be fabricated with face swap just yet. This is so damning and so frustrating.... I have no words.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, that was murder. He was complying. That officer should be done, and by that I mean, arrested and easily convicted.

Not sure why this is allowed in the US. It's pretty scary. At least the narrative can't be controlled here.

platocplx

"Initially, police said Crutcher disobeyed officers' orders to raise his arms."

"In the dashcam video, Crutcher has his arms raised as he walks back to his vehicle. That's when Shelby fires her gun."

Hmmmmm. And that's why I don't pay attention to initial police reports when there's no footage or other non-police witnesses.
Right they can control the narrative every single time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Suspect had no guns in the car. He had his arms raised. He wasn't posing any immediate threat. He was surrounded by atleast 5 cops. There were overwhelming video evidence of the murder. (this is key, if there is no video maybe she gets off by doing the his dead words against mine BS)

She's going to jail the question is for how long. I'm willing to bet anything on this.

lol okay dude

it's not like this is the first time something like this happened

if there is even an indictment I would be unbelievably shocked

Damerman

i literally just told my brother in the most sincere way that if he ever has any kind of escalating altercation with the police, doesn't matter if the cop is bigger than you or smaller than you, just get on the ground and put your hands on your head and your face on the floor. Fuck pride. My brother is a nearly 6 foot tall black dude and he is muscular... so i told him he just needs to swallow his pride and get on the ground with regards to ANY minute escalation.

platocplx

i literally just told my brother in the most sincere way that if he ever has any kind of escalating altercation with the police, doesn't matter if the cop is bigger than you or smaller than you, just get on the ground and put your hands on your head and your face on the floor. Fuck pride. My brother is a nearly 6 foot tall black dude and he is muscular... so i told him he just needs to swallow his pride and get on the ground with regards to ANY minute escalation.
Its God Awful people of color have to have these conversations meanwhile there is a large swath of Americans that never have to deal with this bullshit or pretend their American Wonderland is perfect and the flag and being a patriot is all that matters.

Pancake Mix

Because it's the unspoken purpose of the police in the US to arrest, beat, and kill minorities. Especially black men and women.

I don't think that's intentionally the case (in fact I'm sure it's not), but it's pretty clear that's what happens in practice.

Absolutely horrific, and it's crazy considering how generally respected the law enforcement officers are in my country, ironically with a seemingly less ethnically diverse population (though granted, the population at large is less diverse than America also.) It's really not that fucking hard not to feel threatened when you can see the fellow's hands, doesn't matter if he's black and you get nervous around black men for no reason. Like, this is clearly murder and would be found as such in a reasonable number of Western countries. I mean this is an almost routine stop.... What the actual fuck?!

Does Oklahoma even have an independent inquiry board in regards to deaths in custody and such? I bet not....

America needs to handle stuff like this a lot better. I have enormous respect for and differ to law enforcement, but something is going on in the US.

- J - D -

But even then it's not guaranteed you won't be shot.

Did three of the officers back up out the way of the dashcam to avoid their faces being shown on the footage? Or was a female? officer just in complete shock and couldn't turn round?

Either way I don't know how America allows this to keep going on in such huge numbers. Just yesterday there was an incident with a London Police officer that got overly aggressive smashing a window of a car on a routine traffic stop that is now the subject of a full investigation with the two officers on limited duties. This made national news....

I just can't comprehend the first world country that has Police that shoot and kill unharmed suspects knowing it is on film (in some cases from multiple angles)

Also brought to you by the same country that enslaved the same people they are shooting now for hundreds of years! Racism is alive and well... it always has been, and it's been lurking in the government since the begining which is why it continues to this day.

From the helicopter footage: "That looks like a bad dude, too"
Absolutely disgusting.

Also if you're interested in learning more about race relations in Tulsa, have a look at the Tulsa Race Riot. I had 2 semesters of Oklahoma history in high school but we never learned about that tidbit.

2real4tv

"that looks like a bad dude to"

????

Why because he is black???? Jesus fucking christ people this will not change sadly and there is nothing we can do about it, fucking hell.

Reminds me of that Zimmerman line "it looks like he is up to something"

MMaRsu

This and the other thread about cops making up criminal charges on the SPOT has me seriously fuming with anger right now

I need to go to sleep because otherwise I'd say a whole bunch of shit that might get me banned.

All I wanna say is fuck the police, fuck the justice sytem in the US and fuck the president for not making some changes in this whole disgusting system while he was president.

Pancake Mix

MMaRsu, the president has an incredible number of duties and obligations. It's not as simple as saying you'll take on police unions and the criminal justice system. He did his best with the card he was dealt.

This won't be resolved within our lifetime. Like, how is she not at least arrested and currently being (independently) investigated by a civilian board with no conflict of interest? That needs to be fixed first. Once that starts to happen, things will have improved.

Disgusting. And she'll get away with it too.
This and the other thread about cops making up criminal charges on the SPOT has me seriously fuming with anger right now

I need to go to sleep because otherwise I'd say a whole bunch of shit that might get me banned.

All I wanna say is fuck the police, fuck the justice sytem in the US and fuck the president for not making some changes in this whole disgusting system while he was president.

Do what? What do you want him to do? Stop being emotional and do some basic research, which would explain the president's limits when it comes to state issues.

MMaRsu

I guess it also speaks to how docile 2016 western populations are that this hasn't escalated into a full on civil war by this point.

Pretty much. This shit shouldnt fly anywhere. If I saw some shit like this happening in the netherlands I would drum up everyone I know and march on to The Hague and don't do anything till this shit is solved and reform is coming. I know in the US you can't just march to Washington, but something NEEDS to be done. Reform will NOT come from within.

This is beyond understanding to me.

rjinaz

Yup, I made the same mistake of reading the comments. A good portion of humanity is trash, knows they're trash, and they don't care one bit.

Yup. They actually cheer on these deaths. It really makes you realize that we haven't really made much progress as a nation when it comes to race. It's not just a police problem.

MMaRsu

Disgusting. And she'll get away with it too.

Do what? What do you want him to do? Stop being emotional and do some basic research, which would explain the president's limits when it comes to state issues.

MMaRsu, the president has an incredible number of duties and obligations. It's not as simple as saying you'll take on police unions and the criminal justice system. He did his best with the card he was dealt.

This won't be resolved within our lifetime. Like, how is she not at least arrested and currently being (independently) investigated by a civilian board with no conflict of interest? That needs to be fixed first. Once that starts to happen, things will have improved.

Sorry im not from the US and don't care to do research on what the US president can or cannot do regarding states police departments.

I'm sure Obama could condemn these actions, strongly. I did see another poster itt saying that Obama said that 99% of police officers are doing good work and have the best interests of the American people.

I should just go to bed, this blatant killing has done my head in.

Goodstyle

emsegr0e.png

... She needs to burn for this. Somehow, someway, her life needs to go to shit. I want her to suffer so deeply, she'll wish she was the one who bit the bullet she fired.

rjinaz

Sorry im not from the US and don't care to do research on what the US president can or cannot do regarding states police departments.

I'm sure Obama could condemn these actions, strongly. I did see another poster itt saying that Obama said that 99% of police officers are doing good work and have the best interests of the American people.

I should just go to bed, this blatant killing has done my head in.

Yeah it's disgusting. Really just leaves me drained that this is what my country is.

Black Person Starter Kit 2016
Bullet Proof Riot Armor, so you can at least have a chance when a cop decides to unload on you for no reason.
HTB10uYJGXXXXXbgaXXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

A Bullet Proof vehicle so a cop cant unload on you for no reason through your windshield
top-bulletproof-cars-777x437.jpg

And a white flag at the ready so the cop knows your surrendering ahead of time.
White-Flag.jpg

Only six pages, huh. Looks like the devil's advocates wanted no parts.

No opportunity for coded language in line with white supremacist views, huh.

RIP to that young man.

The racial dynamics of this country will never change for the best until white americans fully condemn those who look like them that perpetuate acts like this.

She killed this dude because of what she was taught to think of black men. Our lives mean nothing. She must pay her debt to society.

The way he was left to bleed out in the street is one of the most callous things Ive ever seen. These are kinds of videos that create Micah Johnsons and a Gavin Longs.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
We need to have a million man march again. I'd make an effort to participate. Who wants to organize it? :)

you will get shot or in severe trouble lol like I said their hands are tied. Cant even sit down at the anthem at a football game

Jmille99

Fucking wow. How anyone would possibly defend this is beyond me, and how anyone could (and probably will) get away with it is disgusting.

This appears to be an extremely indefensible murder thus it's easier to ignore and safer to comment elsewhere on the internet where other people are likely to agree with their bullshit.

Enzom21

ya'll are trippin if you think this

is even gonna see a courtroom

and if she got kids she'll be labeled a hero
Yep, nothing more important than a white woman's life.
This appears to be an extremely indefensible murder thus it's easier to ignore and safer to comment elsewhere on the internet where other people are likely to agree with their bullshit.

The victim is black... give it sometime.

Have we reached the point where we character assassinate the deceased person? Because you know that Fox is digging for that information as we speak.

You'd hope they were getting tired of these stories and that the extent of the problem was starting to sink in. Highly doubt that though.

Yeah like an articles comments section or in the comments section of every relevant youtube video.

There's not a day I've ever browsed youtube and haven't seen all kinds of racist shit being said. Can't even watch a Naruto battle.

rjinaz

You'd hope they were getting tired of these stories and that the extent of the problem was starting to sink in. Highly doubt that though.

Yeah don't see any of the usual, "wait for the facts" "wasn't obeying the officer" folk. Them being unbiased, you would think that just this one time they would speak out against the officer I mean if ever they were going to, this would be it. Oh you mean they aren't really unbiased as they like to pretend they are? Who'd a thunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom