• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
She fucked up. Thats the only reason. She fucked up and pulled the trigger for absolutely no reason. If she doesn't go to jail, there is no justice in the world.
If that's your metric for justice in the world, you may want to sit down. I have some very bad news to share with you.

What if he decided to lift the SUV and throw it at the officers? They can do that, you know.
If only we really did have Luke Cage powers.

what boils my blood about this is the lying. to me, that makes all of these scenarios 5 times worse because it's a means to try to cover it up and taints what trust some people have left in police. humans make mistakes, we understand that. but you don't need to take a steaming piss all over the disappearing trust people have in police.

Jarsonot

Terrible. She better get charged and convicted for this. I want to know more, why that large a police presence, why a helicopter, why was his car halfway into the other lane?

And like saw some people commenting, what if he was hearing impaired and couldn't hear their commands? They had no idea if he was or not...

Glad there's video of this to expose the lies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
At this point, I've stopped expecting these officers to be held accountable for their actions. Just stop with the song and dance, and give her her paid vacation and then send her back to work next year. You're all just wasting our fucking time with the pretense of actually doing an investigation designed to provide justice to the victims.

The fact that officers being held accountable is more an exception to the rule depresses the fuck out of me. It's hard to keep fighting, but the hope is it'll be worth it in the end.

what boils my blood about this is the lying. to me, that makes all of these scenarios 5 times worse because it's a means to try to cover it up and taints what trust some people have left in police. humans make mistakes, we understand that. but you don't need to take a steaming piss all over the disappearing trust people have in police.
You expect them to tell the truth and lose their job and/or go to prison? I don't think so. Most people are not that honorable when the heat is on. People talk big about duty, honor and personal responsibility until it's their ass about to be roasted on an open flame. Then basic survival instinct kicks in. People need to stop idolizing these people. They are just as prone to being pieces of shit as anyone else and must be critiqued as such. The fact that they haven't is the reason why we're here today. Again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After the black care worker that got shot last month while laying down in broad daylight with his arms in the air, its hard to be surprised by anything really.

America's police system needs a biblical tear-down and rebuild.

I mean what are these cops watching on television or reading in the news where they're STILL not being even the slightest hesitant to become murderers? Supers aren't starting every shift with a stern "MAYBE TRY AND NOT MURDER ANY CIVILIANS TODAY?"

Has it been said why there were so many cops called and a helicopter circling them in the first place?

I'm not doubting what happened was murder but that seems odd and uneeded. Nothing better to do?

She fucked up. Thats the only reason. She fucked up and pulled the trigger for absolutely no reason. If she doesn't go to jail, there is no justice in the world.

Not only will she not go to jail, I have serious doubts that she will even be fired.
Even if she is fired, she'll just get hired by another police department, anyway.

Krejlooc

Banned
After the black care worker that got shot last month while laying down in broad daylight with his arms in the air, its hard to be surprised by anything really.

America's police system needs a biblical tear-down and rebuild.

I mean what are these cops watching on television or reading in the news where they're STILL not being even the slightest hesitant to become murderers? Supers aren't starting every shift with a stern "MAYBE TRY AND NOT MURDER ANY CIVILIANS TODAY?"

What are they seeing on TV that tells them it's not OK for them to shoot innocent people? 99% of these cases, the cop gets off with no punishment. If they are watching TV, all they're seeing is that this behavior is OK, and that the group of people they have a systematic prejudice against are "causing trouble."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watched the video. Is the murdering gang member who shot the unarmed man the one who said on the radio that he was not showing his hands?

If it's not the same woman, is that gang member also getting a paid vacation, or does she still have to go to work every day?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What are they seeing on TV that tells them it's not OK for them to shoot innocent people? 99% of these cases, the cop gets off with no punishment. If they are watching TV, all they're seeing is that this behavior is OK, and that the group of people they have a systematic prejudice against are "causing trouble."

I honestly don't understand how America is a real country basically. Any news coming from over there feels like youtubers commenting on how shit got so fucked up in GTAV or Fallout last night, no consequences.

I guess it also speaks to how docile 2016 western populations are that this hasn't escalated into a full on civil war by this point.

dabig2

"Initially, police said Crutcher disobeyed officers' orders to raise his arms."

"In the dashcam video, Crutcher has his arms raised as he walks back to his vehicle. That's when Shelby fires her gun."

Hmmmmm. And that's why I don't pay attention to initial police reports when there's no footage or other non-police witnesses.

DigtialT

Has it been said why there were so many cops called and a helicopter circling them in the first place?

I'm not doubting what happened was murder but that seems odd and uneeded. Nothing better to do?

Pretty much, and I'm pretty sure they get paid more when actually working on the field.

Won't do time. Blackwater wasn't even this teflon. 4 of their employees are serving time behind killing innocent people meanwhile police can't even get time for killing a 12 year old on video. This shit is fucked up man.

psaman17

Banned
"She fucked up. Thats the only reason. She fucked up and pulled the trigger for absolutely no reason. If she doesn't go to jail, there is no justice in the world."

Get used to disappointment.

Suspect had no guns in the car. He had his arms raised. He wasn't posing any immediate threat. He was surrounded by atleast 5 cops. There were overwhelming video evidence of the murder. (this is key, if there is no video maybe she gets off by doing the his dead words against mine BS)

She's going to jail the question is for how long. I'm willing to bet anything on this.

Krejlooc

Banned
Suspect had no guns in the car. He had his arms raised. He wasn't posing any immediate threat. He was surrounded by atleast 5 cops. There were overwhelming video evidence of the murder. (this is key, if there is no video maybe she gets off by doing the his dead words against mine BS)

She's going to jail the question is for how long. I'm willing to bet anything on this.

I'd still say brace for disappointment

Skilletor

She. She's getting paid vacation. She should be going to jail for a long time.

My bad, catching up on the news.

Black people can't even have their car break down without getting killed, but this shit-stain in New Jersey sets off a bomb and he's taken alive?

Amazing.

geardo

During a press conference on Monday, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan called the video footage “very disturbing — it’s very difficult to watch.” He said there was no gun found on Crutcher or in his vehicle.

“I will just make this promise to you: We will achieve justice in this case,” Jordan said. “I want to assure our community and I want to assure all of you and people across the nation who are going to be looking at this: We will achieve justice ― period.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...klahoma_us_57e0411fe4b0071a6e08db5f?section=&

Can't wait for this bullshit to be proven untrue.

Reposting what I said on another forum to a person defending this woman.

You say we should wait for evidence but we have evidence right now that the man did not have a gun on his person or in his vehicle. In addition there were multiple armed officers pointing at him. It doesn't matter if he was threatening to kill the president, that's why non lethal options exist for the police. They're equipped with tazers and handcuffs for that very reason, to non-lethally subdue threats. An even more competent officer would realize that they're in no immediate danger by seeing that the man didn't even have a gun on him.

Whatever the justice department's ruling is on this, there's no excuse for gunning down an unarmed man when you have him surrounded and have access to stun guns. None. That is not the police's role and by waving it away as not a big issue or to wait for more evidence you're actively encouraging the militarization of the police force. If you'll notice even heavy conservative/right users in this thread I heavily disagree with on most topics aren't defending the woman because there is no defense. She failed at her role of being a police officer and the police system failed the dead man by letting her become one.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
"that looks like a bad dude to"

????

Why because he is black???? Jesus fucking christ people this will not change sadly and there is nothing we can do about it, fucking hell.

Monster Zero

"that looks like a bad dude to"

????

Why because he is black???? Jesus fucking christ people this will not change sadly and there is nothing we can do about it, fucking hell.

Its like something out of a south park episode, almost cartoonish at this point

Cops have got to be one of the shittiest group of people on earth.

I mean all it is is people succumbing to the old adage of absolute power corrupting absolutely. However the institution is now, it is the way it is because they are not only given power but they are rarely held accountable for the misuse of that power in all occasions by the mainstream.You get cops with big heads, cops that are corrupt, departments that are mired in bias and reprehensible policing and cops that try to do their job well while having to stay silent about their fellows who abuse their authority. And when people are caught red handed, for many people they defer to the 'heroics' of the job rather than the responsibility of the job. It's a culture bred in tandem with the help of citizens who "see nothing wrong with the way things work".

KHarvey16

Unless there's something else not shown in the video I don't think there was even reason to use a taser, and certainly not a firearm. The "I thought it was my taser" defense shouldn't really work if the taser also represents an over-use of force.

Edit:

Or was it that he was headed back to the car? Which is strange they reported his noncompliance as not raising his hands instead of going for the car, which seems worse. Even so she can't really claim to have been under duress or extreme pressure or anything.

Unless there's something else not shown in the video I don't think there was even reason to use a taser, and certainly not a firearm. The "I thought it was my taser" defense shouldn't really work if the taser also represents an over-use of force.
The I thought it was my taser defense should never work.

A cop that is unable to tell the difference between a taser and a pistol to the point where he or she can fire one thinking it's the other should not be allowed to be a cop.

Lime

HOW THE FUCK DO THESE PEOPLE JUST LEAVE HIM DYING LIKE THAT WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING! Fuck I can't deal with such completely evil behavior. Oh my god.

I hate, like really really hate the genocidal racism especially in the US. This is 2016 version of public lynching, and everyone defending the police or white supremacy in the US is a despicable human being.

Fuck the police and fuck racists and fuck all the people being complicit in white supremacy.

TheContact

I can't comprehend what made that officer shoot that man. He was doing everything they asked him to. What even justified the tazer? I know most police are good but god damn it's like in the back of your mind you know you could be that person every time you encounter the police. There needs to be a huge overhaul of how police are trained across the whole country not just different counties.

HOW THE FUCK DO THESE PEOPLE JUST LEAVE HIM DYING LIKE THAT WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING! Fuck I can't deal with such completely evil behavior. Oh my god.

I hate, like really really hate the genocidal racism especially in the US. This is 2016 version of public lynching, and everyone defending the police or white supremacy in the US is a despicable human being.

Fuck the police and fuck racists and fuck all the people being complicit in white supremacy.

Couldn't agree more. The fact that there are people out there who have/will watch this video and find nothing wrong with it makes me physically ill. These same people will be livid at blocked traffic and sitting down during national anthems. At BLM bangles and shows of solidarity for the victim's family. But they will have no emotional reaction (and possibly even satisfaction) at the body of a dead black man at the hands of authorities. It's draining to think about let alone interact with such people.

Koomaster

Murder. Like, what else can you say?

I do want to give a shout out and thanks to the cop who stopped to see if I was okay one late winter night when my tire blew out on the interstate and I had to pull over. I guess I didn't know how lucky I was at the time that he didn't just straight up murder me because I am black and my car was inoperable. :/

ya'll are trippin if you think this
betty-shelby4.jpg

is even gonna see a courtroom

and if she got kids she'll be labeled a hero

I almost don't even care anymore. I am so leaving this shitty country the second I get the chance.

I know it will obviously never happen, but I wish countries offer asylum to black Americans.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I almost don't even care anymore. I am so leaving this shitty country the second I get the chance.

I know it will obviously never happen, but I wish countries offer asylum to black Americans.
The best you could hope for is a country that just hates black people instead of country that hates black people and has gun control/police militarization issues. :(

I'm so tired of reading these stories. All go the same path, then I gotta listen to fucking nonsense coming out of the mouths of white coworkers when CNN has it in the headlines, then hear the disappointment when the cop is acquitted, given a weak ass sentence, or no charges. I get enough from people crying over kneeling for the anthem.

I just wonder, when there is reform, when there are more protections, regulations, and laws that discourage this shit, how many lives were taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom