• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
The helicopter video clearly has him saying "Time for taser, I think" but yeah, there are no bones about it. That's a fucking murder.

Even with the helicopter footage, the moment he's shot the man is obscured by the car. Again, you can't see shit in either video.
You can see Terence Crutcher walking away with his arms raised. You can see him reach his vehicle before being tasered. You can see him fall to the ground after or during being fatally shot. Do you think Crutcher was going for a weapon? It was confirmed he was unarmed. He had no weapon. Do you think he was acting aggressively? He was slowly backing away, hands up, posing no threat.

What aspect do you think is missing from either video that would change this story? Please, expand on this for us.

At this point it would be better to make a list how not to get killed by police as a black person.
of course this list will get dramaticly shorter over time

seriously, I would be in constant fear of my life at any police check.
I can't even imagine how that feels. it would drive me nuts

commedieu

Banned
At this point it would be better to make a list how not to get killed by police as a black person.
of course this list will get dramaticly shorter over time

seriously, I would be in constant fear of my life at any police check.
I can't even imagine how that feels. it would drive me nuts

Better idea would be for white people to give a shit and demand change. Stop complaining about Nana ruth, and move their power into helping their fellow citizens not get executed for nothing.negros are shot without any reason at all. Literally.

This point isn't some shocking news. It's been allowed to get to this point. Every single "well shoulda woulda coulda" let's these officers walk. Truth is this was just someone that got caught on video. It's been this way. People getting gunned down by police violence have been saying this since day 1. America took "can u stop shooting us please." As an attack on all other people and all police. And it stuck.

Until then, nothing changes. Chalk this under "hey ma, another executed black man. How many is that this week?"

I don't think police officers are killing unarmed black men for fun; I think they are predisposed by racism (institutional or personal) to fear black people. They see the same normal behavior of whites as sinister when blacks are doing it. Car stalled on the road? White driver: Oh, let's help. Black driver: What's going on here? Drug deal? Guy's probably a felon, and on drugs, better stay on my toes. They see going back towards the car as him going for the weapon he has there, you know, because he's black. But we know there was no gun in the car. He had no means to be violent, his intent was something else. But they are starting from such a heightened level of fear and suspicion that everything is perceived as a threat.

commedieu

Banned
I don't think police officers are killing unarmed black men for fun; I think they are predisposed by racism (institutional or personal) to fear black people. They see the same normal behavior of whites as sinister when blacks are doing it. Car stalled on the road? White driver: Oh, let's help. Black driver: What's going on here? Drug deal? Guy's probably a felon, and on drugs, better stay on my toes. They see going back towards the car as him going for the weapon he has there, you know, because he's black. But we know there was no gun in the car. He had no means to be violent, his intent was something else. But they are starting from such a heightened level of fear and suspicion that everything is perceived as a threat.

They have a term for that. Institutionalized racism. But no one in america is a racist. Folks just happens to act identically to one.

Omiee

Do these guys ever get punished for what they do? It seems like they always get payed leave and are set free.

rjinaz

Well yeah I mean I doubt very man enjoy killing other people .It's what you said, but it's also about not valuing Black lives as much. "I ain't dying for them". No chances are given. Their reaction is to shoot first ask questions later whereas when it's a White person they are more likely to take the chance and try and diffuse the situation if possible.

A Black man killed and their police chief isn't even going to raise an eyebrow most of the time. Could be serious consequences for a dead White person especially if they are connected.

commedieu

Banned
be already dead?

I suggested not be born earlier.

I think these two are the only fail safe ones at this point. A man was shot laying down with arms up. This guy shot, arms up. There's only so much you can do with limbs. If he never existed, he wouldn't have been shot.

Edit @ below.

That leaves not being born then.

Do these guys ever get punished for what they do? It seems like they always get payed leave and are set free.

Many people viewed 2015 as a year of reckoning for police, with continued scrutiny of the use of deadly force spurring momentum for reform. In reality, however, the road to accountability remains a long one.

That point is clearly reflected in the number of police officers who were convicted on murder or manslaughter charges last year for fatally shooting a civilian in the line of duty.

In 2015, that number was zero.

And that’s not unusual. No officers were convicted on such charges in 2014 either.

In fact, since 2005, there have only been 13 officers convicted of murder or manslaughter in fatal on-duty shootings, according to data provided to The Huffington Post by Philip Stinson, an associate professor of criminology at Ohio’s Bowling Green State University. Stinson’s data doesn’t include cases in which civilians died in police custody or were killed by other means, or those in which officers only faced lesser charges.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-shooting-convictions_us_5695968ce4b086bc1cd5d0da

Police killed over 1,000 people last year.

benjipwns

Banned
They've already shot an unconcious black couple for being a threat once.

Moving on to repeatedly firing upon an actual corpse due to the dead body making "threatening motions" would not surprise me.
Yeah, but it wouldn't kill them would it.

Checkmate. Not Guilty. Collect your full pension. Next case.

rjinaz

I suggested not be born earlier.

I think these two are the only fail safe ones at this point. A man was shot laying down with arms up. This guy shot, arms up. There's only so much you can do with limbs. If he never existed, he wouldn't have been shot.

Edit @ below.

That leaves not being born then.

That's a little extreme. You can just be born White. If you're born Black in America you must have done something to piss God off. Heck maybe it's God testing your courage/faith like a modern day Job.

commedieu

Banned
That's a little extreme. You can just be born White. If you're born Black in America you must have done something to piss God off. Heck maybe it's God testing your courage/faith like a modern day Job.
I guess god is just really thorough with their tests. It's about 99.9%. Re job tests.

But I hear she's a perfectionist.

J-Rzez

Our cops are disgusting.

I'm sure you meant to say "some," "this," or "these" instead of "our" implying "all." Right?

Anyways... Get more better candidates as police officers by having better training, and better pay to attract better personnel. Stop cutting budgets to the bone, approve taxes to help establish better training facilities, and increased salaries.

rjinaz

This is just ridicioulous!

and people wonder why they are so trigger happy. Lots of paid vacation coming their way is about the only consequence they have to worry about. Why not pull the trigger? Better them than me, am I right?

I'm sure you meant to say "some," "this," or "these" instead of "our" implying "all." Right?

Anyways... Get more better candidates as police officers by having better training, and better pay to attract better personnel. Stop cutting budgets to the bone, approve taxes to help establish better training facilities, and increased salaries.

It's far more than that. This country is racist at it's core and I'm not sure that will ever go away.

benjipwns

Banned
approve taxes to help establish better training facilities, and increased salaries.
I think this is a great idea. Shouldn't we be celebrating the events after case and handing out rewards to those who have done so well? Look at the events of 1921 in Tulsa compared to today, we've come so far. We want to encourage more of this. Let's have a round of applause for our restraint this time. It's the least we could do. God bless America.

rjinaz

Does "all" offend you?

I'll say all because they are all a part of a corrupt system with no accountability. It used to be about serving the people, now it is about obedience from the people. Also one that seems to encourage racism.

But if it makes you happy, not every single officer is a horrible person. There are some that are just trying to earn a paycheck.

benjipwns

Banned
Does "all" offend you?

I'll say all because they are all a part of a corrupt system with no accountability. It used to be about serving the people, not it is about obedience from the people. Also one that seems to encourage racism.

But if it makes you happy, not every single officer is a horrible person. There are some that are just trying to earn a paycheck.
Exactly, it's not their job to stop criminal behavior. Why do we hold them to a standard that we don't hold ourselves to first?

Every office who doesn't speak out against instances of police brutality is a horrible office in my book, and nearly just as guilty of perpetuating this shit.

rjinaz

Exactly, it's not their job to stop criminal behavior. Why do we hold them to a standard that we don't hold ourselves to first?

Come on man, it's too late for my brain for this.

Every office who doesn't speak out against instances of police brutality is a horrible office in my book, and nearly just as guilty of perpetuating this shit.

So all of them. It's a family. You don't rat on your family.

Seventy70

If the "good" cops are good, then maybe they should disassociate with and hold the bad ones accountable? Maybe if they did that, we wouldn't have these problems this frequently. Instead, they all rush to defend them.

The police need less of this feel good family mentality and more professionalism.

So all of them. It's a family. You don't rat on your family.

It's why this image showcases how bad the problem is in police departments

u1psgdp59on0.jpg

I don't think many are claiming that police are killing blacks for fun. I think people are claiming that a good chunk of the police is racist and another good chunk of the police refuse to call out the racists because "brotherhood" or whatever.

seanoff

When are some US Police forces going to realise this is counter-productive?

Shooting people for being black, lying about in the face of all available video, not charging those responsible.

Its not helping. It really isn't.

Also. All these shootings should be Federal investigations with agents brought in from out of area. They Are civil rights abuses.

Hideous.

benjipwns

Banned

u1psgdp59on0.jpg
Exactly, that one bad apple needs to get what's coming to him.

Wait, two bad apples. There's another guy farther back. This problem is more widespread than I thought. We have a growing crisis happening within our police forces during the war on cops.

kavanf1

Holy shit America. Holy shit. This needs to become a platform for your next president.
Hopefully that's not Trump.
It simply cannot be downplayed anymore.

dc89

I had a tyre puncture on the motorway (freeway) a few months back on an area of the motorway with no hard shoulder because of roadworks.
I managed to get my car onto the hard shoulder of the slip road. Within minutes a police officer pulled up and said to me you can't really stay here, I'll help you get off here safely, I'll follow you with my lights on.

Scary to think if I was black and American it could have cost me my life.

Body Count's "Born Dead" never felt truer

Truth, justice and fuck the American way
That word justice got me fucked up though
Twenty cops in the street, two go to jail
Thousands of people died in wars
Overseas and it's justice ?
You think they give a fuck about us ?
You're a fool

Born yellow,
Born brown,
Born red,
Born black,
Born dead
Dead
Born dead
How the fuck you gonna get up every morning
Tryin' to worry about if you gonna make it to the next evening
Do you understand ?
Sometimes we take for granted
The little things like food, like freedom

this was in 1994, over 20 years ago...

u1psgdp59on0.jpg

could you explain the Picture to me?
I must have missed it somehow

This shit just makes you feel so powerless and insignificant. We've far crossed the point where this stuff feels normal and expected, which is both sad and frightening. I had hoped that the increased amount of recorded footage would be the key that would help bring change, yet here we are once again. Even if this cop gets brought to justice, which likely may not even happen, it would still be a mere belated reactionary response to a structural problem with society and the police force in particular.

I'm not surprised any more that Skynet turned out the way it did. If Skynet was supposed to be a neural network for law enforcement and the military, you can't blame the black Dyson family for making it think like how they probably perceived those services.

pants

Do you guys think your police force will ever get better? Is there anything stopping individual cities, states, from creating an independent civil protection unit to train and effectively replace the police over a period of time? I dont think you're solving this problem without breaking up the police force.

idonteven

Do you guys think your police force will ever get better? Is there anything stopping individual cities, states, from creating an independent civil protection unit to train and effectively replace the police over a period of time? I dont think you're solving this problem without breaking up the police force.

i think its gonna get even worse if trump becomes president

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.npr.org/2015/02/21/38777...ccept-civilian-oversight-but-distrust-lingers

http://www.officer.com/article/10249914/civilian-review-boards
http://www.policemisconduct.net/explainers/civilian-review-boards/

J-Rzez

Does "all" offend you?

I'll say all because they are all a part of a corrupt system with no accountability. It used to be about serving the people, now it is about obedience from the people. Also one that seems to encourage racism.

There are many that are good people. There are many there for a paycheck. There are also many that are there to do what they feel they need to do which is serve and protect

There are also many who do in fact speak out when they see or hear something they shouldnt against their fellow officers. Reading GAF if you're not sensible or not from this country would lead you to think all cops are bad and never speak out on the wrong they see and feel.

USC-fan

Banned
It's an easy fix. Make police officer a high paying job.

Hours are terrible and so are the benefits. Then go everyday to put your life on the line to protect people that hate you and don't respect you.

So people shouldnt are shocked that they dont get the best of the best. Making the wrong split seconds desicion could cost someone their life.

benjipwns

Banned
It is for the most part a high paying job with good benefits and it's not even a dangerous job.

In Michigan patrol officers on average make $50,000+. That's roughly the same in most large states. In places like Chicago or New York City they make $80,000+. With relatively massive pensions, early retirement, can earn multiple full pensions with few years, hard to be lose your benefits or job for criminal acts, hard to go to prison for criminal acts, etc.

The 10 Deadliest Jobs: Deaths per 100,000

1. Logging workers: 128.8
2. Fishers and related fishing workers: 117
3. Aircraft pilot and flight engineers: 53.4
4. Roofers: 40.5
5. Structural iron and steel workers: 37
6. Refuse and recyclable material collectors: 27.1
7. Electrical power-line installers and repairers: 23
8. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers: 22.1
9. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers: 21.3
10. Construction laborers: 17.4

Out of approximately one million police and law enforcement personnel, with 126 deaths per year, the death rate for police is 12.6 per hundred thousand.
Most policemen killed on the job die in accidents (mostly auto), not from firearm assault, according to the FBI.

There was a case a few years ago where a guy who the police were chasing was charged with murder of a law enforcement official when a drunk officer speeding crashed 30 miles away.

could you explain the Picture to me?
I must have missed it somehow

In 2014 there were two NYPD officers that were murdered. At their funeral Mayor De Blasio gave a speech. The overwhelming majority of the NYPD turned their back on him. Why? Because he's actually been critical of the NYPD. In particular he's mentioned that he's had to sit his children down, who're biracial, and tell them that they need to be careful around the police. As you might imagine, that didn't go over too well with the NYPD.

Breaking up entire police departments has happened in the US its just that police departments continue to hire troubled police officers despite their very troubling backgrounds as officers. Two that come to mind specifically as examples of officers with very questionable backgrounds Timothy Loehmann, and Darren Wilson.

Timothy Loehmann was so incompetent and mentally unstable while was he at his police academy, his superior specifically stated that he should never serve in law enforcement. Yet that man was hired by two different police departments with Cleveland being his last leading to him eventually killing 12 year old Tamir Rice.
Darren Wilson the former officer who killed Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri the place where the black lives matter movement started . The guy is racist like to the core racist he will not admit it but his words, actions, and his two former police departments prove other wise. The first department he worked at in Jennings, Missouri their was so much racial tension between white officers and black residents that the city council actually disbanded the police department. Darren Wilson than joined the Ferguson,Missouri Police department and ended up eventually killing Michael Brown. What was revealed after the killing of Brown was that the Ferguson Police Department was at least as racist and bad as his first Police department.

It really is amazing how police are giant babies who throw tantrums at the tiniest criticism.

"Hey, maybe try not constantly harassing black people"

"WHAT! How dare you! I guess you just don't want any police at all! You want us all killed! That's it, huh? Well let's see how you like having no police!"

*Stops policing people. Lives are immediately improved by not having gang members harassing the community constantly*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom